Meeting Again

Tell Your Appa That I Love Him

Because it was the weekend, the supermarket was extremely crowded. Myungsoo didn’t like the idea of going around while being jostled by the crowd at all. There were even some young women who pretented to be accidentally pushed into him, but Myungsoo could swear that they smiled secretly after apologizing to him. He really wanted to escape from here as soon as possible.

 

“Appa, I want to try it!”

 

Lauren pointed at a board that read ‘Love Donut’ when they were passing kiosks. Myungsoo smiled and lifted his daughter up so that she could take a closer look at colorful donuts in the display case.

 

“Which one do you like?” Myungsoo asked Lauren who was excitedly staring at them.

 

“Strawberry donut, appa.”

 

“Excuse me,” he said to the shop-girl. “Do you have dairy free donuts?”

 

“Yes, sir.” She beamed.

 

“I’d like to have one strawberry, one chocolate, and…” Myungsoo turned his head to Sungjong. “What do you want to have?”

 

“Coconut, hyung.” He grinned.

 

“Here you are, sir.” The shop girl handed Myungsoo the bag of donuts and a small card. “We’re offering a special promotion today. You’ll have a chance of winning special gifts by filling in your name and address here. The result will be out within next week.”

 

“Wow, it’s so great.” Both Lauren and Sungjong cried out excitedly.

 

Myungsoo wrote down his name on the card and gave it back to her. She tore it into two pieces and gave him one with a number line on it.

 

“Thank you.” He smiled and made his payment.

 

“You’re welcome, sir.”

 

“Where should we go next?” Sungjong asked while they were eating donuts on the bench.

 

“I need to buy food first.” Myungsoo replied. “How about you?”

 

“Hm…I think I’m going to visit the bookstore. Rennie, do you want to go with me?”

 

“Ajussi, can I read cartoons there?”

 

“Of course,” Sungjong nodded. “I’m sure that there’re a lot of interesting cartoons waiting for you.”

 

“Wow, that’s so nice.” She exclaimed and turned to Myungsoo. “Appa, I’ll go with Sungjong ajussi.”

 

“Alright.” He her hair and smiled. “Tell ajussi to buy you many cartoons, okay?”

 

“Neh. Bye bye appa!” Lauren stood up and eagerly pulled Sungjong’s arms. “Let’s go, ajussi.”

 

“Aigoo, I haven’t finished eating yet.” He complained and stuffed the last piece of donut into his mouth before following Lauren.

 

“I’ll be joining you soon.” Myungsoo called after them and made his way to the grocery.

 

“Unnie, didn’t you say that you need a new jacket?” Suzy reminded Jiyeon as she kept going around and stopped at all kiosks. It really made Suzy and Sungyeol dizzy.

 

“Anyway, we still have much free time.” Jiyeon muttered.

 

“Don’t tell me that you want to spend today going around here.” Sungyeol .

 

“Of course no.” She chuckled while walking towards a beverage stall. “Are you thirsty? I want peach syrup.”

 

“I want icy lemonade.” Suzy told the shop-girl.

 

“It’s cold now. Ice is not good for your throat.” Sungyeol frowned. “Two hot lemonade, please.”

 

“How thoughtful he is.” Jiyeon winked at her sister who was blushing at Sungyeol’s care.

 

Just at that moment Jiyeon’s phone rang. She pulled it out of her pocket and saw a new message from her mom.

 

“What’s it, unnie?” Suzy craned her neck to look at Jiyeon’s phone screen.

 

“Mom tells me to buy tomato sauce. She wants to make spaghetti for lunch but forgot buying it yesterday.” She sighed. “I have to go to the grocery now. You guys should go ahead, I’ll catch you up later.”

 

“But we can wait for you outside.” Sungyeol suggested.

 

“I guess it’ll take her at least one hour to find it.” Suzy giggled. “Do you want to bet?”

 

“How much? Now I remember that you’ve have still owed me 5000 won since our last bet.”

 

“Geezz…how stingy you are.” Suzy pouted at Sungyeol. “How about I treat you to lunch?”

 

“Ya, you’re really crafty. Your mom said I can have lunch at your home every weekend, so we can’t count it in your debt.”

 

Jiyeon covered her ears and turned away from Suzy and Sungyeol who were still quarrelling like kids. She knew that they could argue for hours, but it was a good chance which helped them get closer to each other.  

 

It didn’t take long for Jiyeon to reach the shelf of sauces. There were many kinds of sauce from different brands. After scanning them to search for her favorite one, she found the last bottle of tomato sauce on the top of the shelf. Though she already stood on her tiptoes to get it, it was still unreachable. As soon as Jiyeon decided to jump up, she lost her balance and fell off the shelf. At that very moment, she was protected from hitting the ground by someone.

 

“You should be careful.”

 

Jiyeon opened her eyes upon hearing that person’s voice. The first thing she saw was even more surprising: her first-snow man, Kim Myungsoo. She couldn’t believe that they met again in that confusing situation. The worst part (or best?) was that he was holding her in his arms.

 

“Oh…” Jiyeon slipped away from him and fixed her hair embarrassedly. “I’m sorry. You’ve helped me twice and…”

 

“What do you mean?” He raised his eyebrows. It seemed like he didn’t remember Jiyeon at all.

 

“Don’t you remember? We met yesterday and you even helped me get my bag back.” She couldn’t help but feel a little upset about the fact that she hadn’t left any impression on him.

 

“Oh.” He slapped his forehead. “Sorry, I almost forgot it.”

 

“Anyway, thank you for helping me again.” Jiyeon smiled and took a glance at his hand. No couple or wedding ring on his finger.

 

“Don’t mention it. Do you live nearby?” He asked while taking the tomato sauce bottle from the shelf.

 

“Yes, I live in Yongsan-gu. And you?”

 

“Me too. I just moved to live here two weeks ago.” He smiled and offered a handshake. “Nice to meet you, new neighbor. I’m Kim Myungsoo.”

 

She smiled back and held his hand. “I’m Park Jiyeon. Nice to meet you, too.”