His Return

Tell Your Appa That I Love Him

After breakfast, Sungjong and Lauren went to Maple Bear Kindergarten which is just half a mile away from their home. Because it was Lauren’s first day of school, she was very excited.

 

“Please go faster, ajussi!” She urged Sungjong while skipping down the street.

 

“Mind you step!” He said worriedly and walked faster to catch her up. “If you fall, your appa will never stop scolding me.”

 

When they came there, a young woman who seems to be Lauren’s teacher greeted them with a warm smile. “Hello. How are you doing?”

 

“I’m fine, thanks.” Sungjong smiled back at her and turned to his niece. “Lauren ah, why don’t you say ‘Hello’ and introduce yourself to your teacher?”

 

“Hello.” Lauren bowed respectfully to her. “My name is Lauren Kim, but appa and ajussi usually call me Rennie. I’m four years old.”

 

“Hi Lauren, nice to meet you! Your name is as beautiful as your face.” She grinned and held Lauren’s hand. “ My name is Jiyeon.”

 

“Excuse me,” Sungjong scratched his head and asked hesitantly. “Could you please give me your phone number?”

 

“Neh?” Jiyeon gave him a weird look as if he was going to court her. Her stare made him more embarrassed.

 

“Please don’t misunderstand me.” Sungjong explained. “It’s just that…Lauren’s father needs to have your number in case he can’t come to pick her up in time”.

 

“Oh, I see. Aren’t you her dad? I thought you are.” She smiled and gave him her number.

 

“No, I’m her uncle. Thank you.” Sungjong grinned and bent down to face Lauren. “Rennie ah~ I’m gonna go now. See you again this evening, okay?”

 

“Yes, ajussi.” Lauren gave him a peck before following her teacher inside.

 

 

As a result of the unexpected incident in the early morning, Myungsoo came late. When he finally reached his office, the secretary greeted him with her anxious expression.

 

“Director, the guest is waiting for you in the meeting room.” She told Myungsoo.

 

“OK. And please tell Assistant Lee to give me the recruitment plan by this afternoon.”

 

“Yes. Should I bring you a cup of coffee?”

 

“No, thanks.”

 

He refused and entered the meeting room. The guest was sitting with his back to Myungsoo while reading a book. Even when he heard the door shut, he didn’t turned around. Myungsoo took a deep breath and fixed his tie before walking closer.

 

“Hello. I’m Kim Myungsoo.” He said courteously. “I'm really sorry to have kept you waiting.”

 

“Then you should write a resignation letter.” The customer replied with a sarcastic tone which was rather familiar to Myungsoo. He looked up to see if that man was someone he knew, but his face was hidden behind the book.

 

“May I ask you…” At the moment Myungsoo began asking, the client put down the book and grinned at him. 

 

“Woohyun hyung!” Myungsoo exclaimed as he saw the unbelievable face right in front of him.

 

“It’s a big surprise that you didn’t forget me.” Woohyun stood up and hugged Myungsoo. “Nice to see you again.”

 

“But where have you been all these years? I thought that you already vanished into thin air.”

 

“It’s a long story. Do you have free time tonight? Let’s go out for dinner and drinks.” Woohyun patted Myungsoo on his shoulder.

 

“Well…I want it, too! But I have to pick up my daughter from kindergarten.”

 

“What????????” Woohyun’s eyes widened in shock disbelief. “Did you get married?”

 

“No, I’m a single dad.” Myungsoo laughed when he saw Woohyun’s shocked face.

 

“OMG! It’s even more unbelievable.” Woohyun dropped his jaw. “Then how old is your daughter?”

 

“Four.”

 

“I can’t believe it.” Woohyun shook his head. “The last time we met, you still didn’t have a girlfriend. But now you’ve become a dad. Totally fabulous!”

 

“Hyung! It’s been five years since we met last time.” Myungsoo chuckled. “Anything could happen.”

 

“I’m really curious about your story. I’ll reserve a table at our favorite restaurant. I want to meet your lovely daughter too. Just bring her along.” Woohyun winked at him.

 

“Alright.” Myungsoo nodded. “But where are you living now?”

 

“I’m just back from Geneva. Now I’m staying in hotel while finding a new home”. 

 

“Then why don’t you stay at my home? We still have one room left.” Myungsoo suggested.

 

“Yah, do you think I completely forgot about your bad cooking skill?” Woohyun pouted. “When we lived together in Paris, I lost almost 10 pounds in only a month because I couldn’t eat whatever you cook. Don’t you remember?”

 

“You’re still as fastidious as ever.” Myungsoo laughed at Woohyun’s complaint. He always attracted girls with his humour.

 

“I’m gonna go now. See you then.”

 

“OK. Goodbye, Woohyun hyung.” Myungsoo said and followed him to the door.

 

When they came out, Myungsoo was greeted by his assistant, Lee Syungyeol. Seeing that he was busy, Woohyun said he would show himself out. Myungsoo nodded and waited until he entered the elevator before turning to Sungyeol.

 

“Assistant Lee, have you prepared what I asked yesterday yet?”

 

“Yes, Director.”

 

 “That’s nice. Let’s come to my office and discuss the plan.” Myungsoo said in a cold tone which he always used when it comes to work.