Misty Mind

Tell Your Appa That I Love Him

“Unnie, what’s the matter with you?” Suzy waved her hand in front of Jiyeon who was staring at the guy named Kim Myungsoo.

 

“It’s him…” Jiyeon muttered. “The first-snow man.”

 

“WHAT????????” Suzy covered in shock. “Am I hearing it wrong?”

 

“No, you’re not hearing it wrong. It’s him.” Jiyeon affirmed. “I just met him this morning, how can I forget his face?”

 

“Wow, I can’t believe that you’re so lucky.” Suzy looked at her sister admiringly and snatched the magazine out of her hand. After devouring it in minutes, she looked up and gave Jiyeon a brief summary about him. “He went to Paris at the age of 16 and finished high school there. By the time he graduated, he was offered six scholarships by top universities in Paris. He chose to study fashion design at Ecole de la Chambre Syndicale de la Couture Parisienne and won many fashion competitions. Now he is the Creative Director of Venus.”

 

“Wait! Did you say he works for Venus?” Jiyeon’s eyes widened. “Then he is working in the same company with Sungyeol. What a coincidence!”

 

“Oohh, I almost forgot it.” Suzy blurted out in excitement. “We will ask Sungyeol about him. And who knows, you can meet him again in a company party or something like that.”

 

Jiyeon chuckled at her sister’s idea. That girl always thought of everything in a simple way. Sometimes she didn’t know if is it was Suzy’s strong point or not. Suddenly a thought came to her mind.

 

“Today I’ve had a new student in my class. Her dad’s name is Kim Myungsoo, too. I wonder if…”

 

“You are joking, aren’t you?” Suzy immediately interrupted her. “This guy is only 24 years old. He is too young to be a dad. Besides, his love life was not mentioned in this article. I bet that he has a lot of female admirers.”

 

“Not me.” Jiyeon sighed. “Now that I know who he is, I don’t want to meet him again.”

 

“Why?”

 

“It’s just that…just that…” Jiyeon stumbled. She really didn’t know how to express her thoughts clearly.

 

“It’s just that he’s too perfect to be yours and this dream is too beautiful to be true.” Suzy said as if she was reading her sister’s mind. “You’re afraid of being hurt, right?”

 

“Suzy, I don’t mean it…”

 

“Haha, you’re blushing.” Suzy started giggling.

 

“I’m not.” Jiyeon snapped back while trying to hide her blushed cheeks.

 

“Stop feeling inferior to others, unnie. You’re perfect, too. Just tell me if someone says that you’re not good enough, I’ll give him a good spanking.”

 

“Wow, what an encouragement!”

 

Both Jiyeon and Suzy started at the sound of Sungyeol’s voice. They were too busy chatting to notice that he had entered their house. Wearing a blue shirt and a pair of dark-brown jeans, Sungyeol looked irresistibly handsome. Jiyeon bet that Suzy’s heart was thumping wildly.

 

“How was your day at work?” Jiyeon poured warm daisy tea into a cup and pushed it towards him.

 

“Much, much worse than usual. I can’t believe that I still survive until now.” Sungyeol moaned. “We have to launch new clothing line and prepare for recruitment at the same time. I don’t even have time to catch my breath.”

 

“Maybe your salary will increase soon.” Suzy comforted him.

 

“Let’s hope that I won’t die before that time.” Sungyeol sighed and took a sip of tea.

 

“By the way, I wonder if there is a guy named Kim Myungsoo in your company…”  Suzy started inquiring despite Jiyeon’s warning glance.

 

“How do you know him?” Sungyeol raised his eyebrows.

 

“It’s just…I read his interview in a magazine and feel curious because he works at the same company with you.”

 

“Actually I’m his personal assistant.” Sungyeol said. “But it doesn’t mean I know him better than others do. We only discuss work-related things, no more. I’m sure that no one else in our company knows exactly about him. He’s totally mysterious. But we all admire his talent anyway.”

 

“Oohh.” Suzy let out a disappointed sigh. She looked at Jiyeon but she had avoided her stare.

 

Just at that moment, Mrs. Park and Sulli got back home with a lot of paper bags in their hands.

 

“Umma, did you clear all shelves in supermarket?” Jiyeon’s eyes widened as she and Sungyeol helped her mother carry the bags.

 

“Unnie, there’s a big discount starting from today.” Sulli announced excitedly. “You should come there tomorrow and buy what you need.”

 

“Great.” Both Jiyeon and Suzy leaped for joy. This was an occasion they had been waiting for.

 

“Aigoo, these kids are going to spend money on things which will be shoved into storehouse right after being bought.”  Mrs. Park’s complaint made Sungyeol and Sulli giggle.

 

“Umma!!!!” The girls exclaimed in unison.

 

“Now, Jiyeon and Sulli will help me prepare dinner.” Mrs.Park said. “Sungyeol, could you help Suzy change a light bulb? I broke it while cleaning up her room this afternoon.”

 

“Yes, ajumma.” Sungyeol smiled.

 

“Lead him to your room, Suzy.”

 

“But…”

 

“Hurry up!” Without letting her to say anything, Mrs. Park pushed Suzy towards the stairs that led to her room and motioned Sungyeol to follow her.

 

“Umma, you do it on purpose, don’t you?” Jiyeon whispered after making sure that Sulli couldn’t hear her.

 

“You’re really sharp-eyed.” Mrs. Park winked at her daughter and pulled her to the kitchen. “Let’s cook together. I’m hungry.”

 

“Neh.”  Jiyeon smiled and began doing what she was told.

 

 

“I’m glad to see you happy”.

 

Woohyun said while they were having dinner at a family restaurant near Myungsoo’s home. He liked everything about it: friendly, warm atmosphere, interesting decoration, good food, beautiful view, and especially children’s play area where Lauren was playing with other kids.

 

“It’s really nice to see you again. But you didn’t tell me where you have been hiding all these years.” Myungsoo reminded him while watching over his daughter. He was afraid that she could fall down and get hurt.

 

“Traveling.” Woohyun simply replied. “I was too bored back then. One morning, I woke up and felt disgusted with myself. So I decided to run away to see if I could try something new.”

 

“What then?”

 

“After a long ramble, I suddenly realized what I’ve gained and lost. I came back because I have to find an important person. Again.” Woohyun looked straight in to Myungsoo’s eyes. “Do you think it’s too late?”

 

“It’s never too late to live happily ever after, hyung.” Myungsoo smiled. “You’re a good man, so you deserve to be happy.”

 

“Thank you, really.” Woohyun smiled back at his friend.

 

They said nothing but watched Lauren play for a moment. Then Woohyun broke the silence, “Have you heard anything about Soojung?”

 

Myungsoo’s heart skipped a beat upon hearing her name. He unconsciously grasped the glass while looking out the window. He didn’t see anything because of the dense fog. His mind found its way back to the misty morning when he last saw Soojung. They stood together in Charles de Gaulle Airport and listened to their hearts cry. Myungsoo couldn’t forget Soojung’s tearful smile when she waved farewell to him before going to the boarding gate. Whenever he remembered that morning, his heart hurt so bad. 

 

“One year after you were gone, she quit school and left Paris. I haven’t heard from her since then.” Myungsoo said quietly, his eyes were fixed on the frosted glass window.

 

“Is Lauren’s mother someone I know? I don’t know why but she really looks like, you know…” Woohyun suddenly changed the topic. And he noticed that Myungsoo’s face turned pale after he had finished saying. “…Soojung.”

 

“Hyung, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Myungsoo said irritably.

 

“You’re trying to hide something, aren’t you?” Woohyun narrowed his eyes in suspicion. “What happened between you and Soojung?”

 

“Hyung, this is too much.” Myungsoo sighed raking his hand through his hair. “I don’t want us to end up arguing.”

 

Before Woohyun could say anything else, Lauren had interrupted their conversation. “Appa, I’m too sleepy.”

 

“Alright, we’ll get back home now.” Myungsoo her hair and stood up from their table. “Let’s go, I’ll drive you to your hotel.”

 

“No, you should take her home soon. I’m fine.”

 

“Hyung, nice to meet you anyway. I’ll see you later.” Myungsoo smiled and patted Woohyun on his shoulder.

 

Woohyun nodded and gave Lauren a farewell hug. “Bye bye Rennie, I’ll miss you very much. Don’t forget me until we meet again, okay?”

 

“Neh. Bye bye, ajussi.”

 

Woohyun silently watched Myungsoo drive off towards the main street. Then he said to himself, smoke coming out from his mouth on a cold winter night.

 

“Myungsoo, why didn’t you ask who is the person I’m finding?”

 

 

Jiyeon stood in front of the mirror and tied her hair up with a pink ribbon. Behind her back, Suzy was busy choosing the best dress to wear before going to the super mall. Since Sungyeol said that he would accompany them, Suzy had been rattling over it.

 

“Ya, Sungyeol is waiting for us downstairs. I’m sure that he is getting upset.” Jiyeon told her sister.

 

“Okay, I’m done. Unnie, how is this one?” Suzy walked out of the bathroom wearing a yellow and orange floral-patterned dress. Although Jiyeon thought it was a bit colorful, she still praised Suzy, “You look so pretty.”

 

She beamed and eagerly ran down the stairs to meet Sungyeol. Jiyeon quickly joined them and the three friends together walked to the super mall.

 

Meanwhile, Myungsoo was on his way to go shopping with Lauren and Sungjong. He needed to buy food for a whole week and helped Lauren get used to Korean lifestyle on the same occasion.    

 

“Wow, it’s really big.” Lauren blurted out when they reached the newly opened super mall in their area.

 

“I think we hardly explore it with only a few hours.” Sungjong commented.

 

“Don’t worry, we have the whole day in front of us.” Myungsoo smiled and held Lauren’s hand. “Let’s go ahead and enjoy our beautiful Saturday.”