About Him

Tell Your Appa That I Love Him

 

As the bell rang signaling the end of class, the kids got excited. After a long day of studying and playing, they are eager to see their parents and enjoy family dinners together.

 

“Stand in line, children!” Jiyeon told her little pupils and they lined up obediently. “Now, what will you say before leaving?”

 

“Goodbye teacher. Have a nice weekend!” The children said in chorus. Their voices were so cute.

 

“Thank you.” Jiyeon beamed. “Enjoy your weekend and be obedient to your parents, okay?”

 

“Yes, teacher.”

 

She watched the kids walk out in line and then began tidying up the classroom. She collected the small stools and piled them neatly before sweeping the floor. When it was done, Jiyeon shut the door behind her and prepared to leave. But as she walked out of the school entrance, she suddenly saw Lauren. The little girl was sitting on stairs with her hand on her chin. It seemed like her appa or ajussi hadn’t come yet.

 

“Lauren ah, are you waiting for your appa?” Jiyeon bent down in front of her and asked.

 

“Neh. My appa has always worked late these days.” Lauren replied.

 

“How about your ajussi?”

 

“Ajussi told Rennie that he is busy studying for exams, so he can’t pick up me.”

 

“Oh, I see.” Jiyeon nodded. “Lauren ah, where do you live? I’ll take you home.”

 

“But I don’t know the password to enter my house.” She said embarrassedly, her eyes were fixed on the ground.

 

“Hm…then I’ll stay here with you.” Jiyeon grinned and sat besides Lauren. Her pupil seemed excited about her suggestion.

 

“Lauren, are you hungry?” Jiyeon asked while taking a milk carton out of her bag and handed it to the little girl. “Just drink it.”

 

“I’m sorry, teacher. But I have an allergy to cow’s milk. If I drink it, I will wheeze and vomit.” Lauren explained. “Besides, my appa said cow’s milk belongs to the calves. It’s not right if we steal it from them.”

 

Jiyeon was quite taken aback at her statement. She was quiet for a while before putting the milk carton aside. “You’re right, Lauren. I will never consume milk again.”

 

“Teacher, you’re so nice.” Lauren smiled and touched her cheeks.

 

Just then Jiyeon’s phone rang and she saw an unknownd number displayed on the screen.  

 

“Hello?”

 

“May I ask if you are Lauren’s teacher?” A man asked with a low hurried voice on the other line.

 

“Yes, sir.”

 

“I’m sorry for being late picking up my daughter. I’ll come there within 15 minutes. Would you mind staying with her until I arrive?”

 

“Don’t worry, sir. I’m with her now.” Jiyeon assured him.

 

“Thank you very much.” He said and quickly hung up the phone. Jiyeon guessed it would take him more than 15 minutes to come because of the rush hour traffic.

 

“Your appa is going to pick up you soon. Don’t worry, okay?” She informed Lauren and smiled.

 

“Neh.”

 

“Do you want to play a game while waiting?” Jiyeon suggested.

 

“Of course, teacher.” The little girl clapped and smile excitedly.

 

Then Jiyeon began teaching Lauren how to make animal figures with her fingers. The kid laughed happily as she made a bird and a rabbit herself. When they started making a horse, someone suddenly appreared in front of them. Jiyeon looked up and saw a young man holding cute stuffed toys in his hands. He must have been Lauren’s father.

 

“Hello.” He gave Jiyeon a nod and bent down to smile with Lauren. “Hi. Are you Lauren?”

 

Oh, it turns out that he is not Lauren’s dad. Jiyeon thought to herself.

 

“Yes. Ajussi, who are you?”

 

“I’m your dad’s friend. Here is your gift.” He handed her the stuffed toys. “Hope you like it.”

 

“Wow, it’s so beautiful. Thank you, ajussi.” Lauren smiled back at him while holding her gifts tight. “But I haven’t met you before…”

 

“Ah, it’s because I’ve just returned from a far away place. I did’t know your father has a lovely daughter like you.”

 

The man said and pinched her plump cheeks. Then he turned to Jiyeon who was doubtfully looking at him. “I come to pick up Lauren for her dad. Thank you for looking after her.”

 

“Please wait a moment.” Jiyeon tried to stop him from taking Lauren away. “According to our school’s regulation, only students’ parents are allowed to pick up their kids. If you want to pick up, you must present a valid ID card or passport.”

 

“What?” The man raised his eyebrows in disbelief. “Are you thinking I’m a kidnapper?”

 

“It’s not what I mean. But we have to follow the regulation.” Jiyeon said patiently.

 

He sighed and got his wallet out of the pocket of his coat. When he handed his passport to Jiyeon, she could swear that he was getting upset. Jiyeon opened the book and saw the name ‘Nam Woohyun’ next to his photo. After making sure that she had memorized all his personal information in her mind, Jiyeon gave the passport back to him.

 

“Thank you. I hope you’re not displeased.”

 

“I’ll provide you with another confirmation.” He smirked and made a call to someone before Jiyeon could say anything. “Myungsoo, I have trouble with your daughter’s teacher. It seems like she is not willing to let me pick up Lauren. Please tell her that I’m not a kidnapper.”

 

Then he slided his phone into Jiyeon’s hand. Having no other choice, she put it against her ear. As she did it, the man to whom she had talked half an hour ago began to explain.

 

“I’m sorry for not informing you in advance. I asked my friend to pick up Lauren and his name is Woohyun. I’m really sorry if it makes you misunderstand something.”

 

“Now that I have your confirmation, it’s fine.” Jiyeon replied and hung up. She couldn’t help but feel embarrassed, and maybe a little ashamed.

 

“Can we leave now?” He asked coldly while stuffing his cellphone into his pocket.

 

“I’m sorry.” She apologized to him and waved at Lauren who was anxiously looking at them. “Goodbye Rennie. Have a nice weekend. I’ll see you again next week, okay?”

 

“Neh. I’ll miss teacher very much.” She smiled and gave Jiyeon a peck before going with Woohyun.

 

 

“Appa!” Lauren threw herself into her dad’s open arms. Since Woohyun insisted picking up Lauren himself, Myungsoo had no choice but to wait outside. His handsome appearance was really a trouble because all young women on the street admired him. Myungsoo could have sit in his car to avoid their eyes, but he wanted Lauren to see him first.  

 

“How was your first day of school?” Myungsoo asked while kissing on his little princess’s cheeks. He didn’t realize that he would miss Lauren so much when they were far away from each other.

 

“I’m very happy. My teacher is beautiful and nice. She taught me a lot of things and even gave me 100 marks on my picture.” Lauren said proudly. “Appa, are you tired?”

 

“Of course. But seeing you makes appa not tired anymore.” Myungsoo smiled warmly.

 

“Aigoo aigoo, I’m going to die of jealousy.” Woohyun covered his face with his both hands. “Should I find someone to marry tomorrow and have a child next year?”

 

“Yes, you should.” Myungsoo chuckled. “But I’m wondering which woman has enough patience and tolerance to marry a Casanova like you.”

 

“What???????” Myungsoo’s comment made Woohyun’s face contort as if he was deeply hurt. “Everyone is this world knows I’m a truly good man. Even Lauren knows it, right?”

 

“Neh. Ajussi bought me toys, ajussi is very nice.” She grinned at Woohyun.

 

“See?” Woohyun turned to looked at Myungsoo with a victorious smirk.

 

“Then why did Lauren’s teacher think that you’re kidnapper?” Myungsoo asked with a sly smile.

 

“Yah! Can you stop mocking at me now?” Woohyun clenched his teeth. “After all, I helped you figure out how safe Lauren’s school is. I can’t believe that you end up being ungrateful like this.”

 

“Then I’ll treat you a lavish dinner to express my appeciation. Are you satisfied now?” Myungsoo chuckled while opening the backseat door. Lauren quickly got into it and began playing with her toys.

 

“It sounds better.” Woohyun took his seat besides Lauren and fastened the belt for her.

 

“Appa, where are we going?” She asked.

 

“A nice restaurant where you can eat many delicious dishes.” Myungsoo smiled and fastened his own seat belt before driving off.

 

 

When Jiyeon got back home, Suzy was reading a fashion magazine and their mother was nowhere to be seen.

 

“Where’s umma, Suzy?” She asked while going to the kitchen to check if Mrs. Park was there.

 

“She went to the supermarket with Sulli. You know, Sungyeol oppa and Sulli will have dinner with us.”

 

“Oh, I almost forgot it.” Jiyeon slapped her forehead. Sungyeol’s parents had passed away several years ago, so Mrs. Park invited him and Sulli to dinner at her home every weekend.

 

“Unnie, do you have any plan for this weekend?”

 

“I don’t know. Maybe I’ll sleep all day or go shopping. I need to buy a new jacket.” Jiyeon came sit next to Suzy after changing into a white knitted dress.

 

“Wow, I can’t believe that there is such a perfect guy in our country.” Suzy uttered while gazing at her magazine.  

 

“Who?” Jiyeon took a glance at the article she was reading. As soon as she did it, her eyes widened in shock disbelief. Her first-snow man was looking at her from the article that read:

 

KIM MYUNGSOO – THE NEW NATIONAL TREASURE

OF KOREA’S FASHION INDUSTRY