A New Beginning

The Unknown: A Collection

 

He first met her when they were 9 years old.

Battered and bruised like most kids were and shoved to the ends of the corner. They were among the lucky ones to escape the apocalypse though their parents had not. Yes, people would say luck was on their side but he doesn’t consider himself as the fortunate one.

What was left of humankind were only thousands. Not even close to the billions of humans that used to occupy the world they called home. The world that was shattered and broken right in front of their eyes.

She was huddled up in the corner, avoiding contact from those around her. Everybody knew of how she came about the ship. Her father was trying hard to get his two daughters on board. Unfortunately, she was the only one who made it to safety as she watched her father and sister’s demise with her own eyes.

Jongin made his way towards her. Nobody even took a second look at her much less comforted her. He thought it would be up to him to get the job done. He figured, there’s nothing to lose so why not take the chance to meet someone new. This is a new beginning after all.

“Hey.”

She didn’t respond.

“I’m sor-“

“Stop!” she cuts in before Jongin could go on, “The last thing I need is your condolence so get away from me.”

Too bad Kim Jongin is not one with obeying what people told him to do. He sat next to her and wait for the harsh words to come out of . When it didn’t, he took it as a gesture that she was glad that somebody was actually giving her attention.

 “My name is Jongin. Kim Jongin. What’s yours?”

She didn’t reply.

“I’m 9 years old. What about you?”

She turned her head, avoiding from meeting his eyes. Not responding to her stubbornness, he held out a hand as a gesture for a handshake. When she didn’t react to his handshake, he sighed and took her hand instead. She looked at him incredulously but made no effort to wrench her hand out of his grasp.

“Let me start again. Hi, I’m Kim Jongin and I’m 9 years old. Nice to meet you,” he smiled and shook their hands. She noticed that his smile reached his eyes, something that is rare on this ship as everybody was still lost on everything. She figured he was worth taking a chance. What else does she have to lose?

“Jung Soojung. 9 years old,” she spoke softly but Jongin heard her nonetheless.

“Soojung. That’s a pretty name. It suits you.”

She smiled and blushed. He was quite surprised when he saw the pink tint on her cheeks.

“You know, you should smile more often. A pretty name should have a pretty owner.”

“Will you help me?”

“Sure. As long as you help me too.”

“Promise?” she held out her little finger with a hopeful look on her face. Jongin chuckled and link his pinky with hers.

“Promise.”

And that was the start of a whole new beginning for Kim Jongin and Jung Soojung.

 

 


 

This is something I whipped up after watching the movie '2012'. Man, that story gave me the creeps >.<  I hope you guys understand this. The setting is post-apocalypse and they're on a ship and stuff like in the movie. Ask if there's anything you don't understand!