Chapter 9

Where Are We Now?

 

 

Suh Young's sleep that night was anything but restful and dreamless. 

 

 

Dr. Lee Chang-il started at the sudden movement as Suh Young bolted upright in bed. He could see her clearly from his position by the door, and her eyes were wide open as she clutched the hospital blanket in her fists. 

 

"Hyun Su," she let it out, a broken word, and then she started to cry as if the world was ending. She made a pitiful picture sitting there in the bed, her head buried in her hands with no one around to listen or comfort her except for the softly glowing machines that emitted quiet beeps from time to time. Chang-il got up from his seat and strode over to her side, wrapping his arms around her. 

 

"Shh, Suh Young, it's okay. It's okay." He rubbed her back, not really knowing what to say and knowing that there was nothing he could to ease her grief. He didn't know how long they stayed that way, but eventually her sobs died down, and her grip on his coat loosened. 

 

They stayed silent, and he listened to her shaky breaths. Soon, those died down as well, and he rubbed her back again before going to get some tissues. He returned, box in hand, to find her slumped forward over her good arm, asleep from exhaustion. 

 

"Well," he said softly. He put the box on her tray then gently laid her back and tucked her in. He brushed the hair out of her face and then dried her cheeks before leaving. Before heading out, he gave a last glance at her room then made a mental note to set his alarm clock a little earlier.