Chapter 10

Where Are We Now?

 

 

It was a miserable and shaky start to the day that Suh Young got. She woke up from her dreams in a cold sweat and feeling like she'd just been in that hospital room all over again, holding onto the pair of arms that encircled her with all the strength that she had because she felt like she'd fall apart if she didn't. It took a few minutes before the fresh feeling of sadness was replaced with realization and the dull ache she'd grown accustomed to carrying with her throughout most of her mornings and evenings when she wasn't in the hospital. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Suh Young-ssi!" 

Suh Young turned in surprise at the voice that had called out to her as soon as she had alighted from her taxi. The blank look her face often held was still there as she discovered who it was.

"O, Jin Sang-ssi." 

He jogged up to her. "So you take the taxi to work too? That's nice. So do I. Have you had breakfast yet?" 

If the glass of milk she'd had this morning and the pasta from last night counted, then, "Yes." 

"That's good. Well, today looks like it'll be a good day," Jin Sang fell into step with her. She'd started walking already to avoid more conversation. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hwan Jin Sang. How many before him had liked the quiet yet alluring nurse, he wondered. Probably hundreds, was the discouraging thought. They would have to be out of their minds if they didn't at some point. But then he shook his head and decided to think positive thoughts. So far he was the only one at the hospital who liked her. This he knew for sure. And he decided to go after her again and at least see if she would eat with him in the break room. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Doctor Lee, what are you still doing here? I thought your shift was over?" 

"Ah," he scratched his head, wishing the coffee would finish brewing faster. "I still have a few things to take care of." 

"Oh I see. I'll be going first then," the nurse announced, glancing curiously at him again on her way out. He waved nonchalantly, and the coffee maker beeped. He frowned at it. Tch. You could have done that earlier

 

The door to Suh Young's room opened silently, shedding some light on the tiled floor as he made his way to the vacant chair. He set his coffee on the table and then settled into his seat. He didn't really know why, but something had made him feel like coming back here. For some reason, he just didn't want her to be alone when she woke up. He let out a heavy sigh.

"Ah, Hyun Su, she's going to miss you terribly....And I will too." 

His heart ached for his friend and all that had been lost. He could still see his hand moving to place the sheet over Hyun Su's face, a gesture they both had performed countless times, but not something he had ever expected to be doing to someone so close. He swallowed hard then swung his attention back to the patient in the bed. The wall light emitted a soft glow that surrounded the bed and illuminated the sleeping figure. 

"I wish I had a drip," he murmured, envying how untroubled her face looked at the moment. 

He dozed off, waking up several hours later. He shifed in the seat and eyed his still mostly full cup. The clock on the wall read 2:00am. He shook his head. This is crazy, Chang-il. Go home before she tells you to herself

And then she woke up.