Chapter 5

Where Are We Now?

 

 

The Next Day. . . 

 

 

Suh Young drew aside the curtain and smiled at the patient on the bed. "Annyonghaseyo, Halmoni. How are you feeling today?" The older lady brightened up as Suh Young moved around, adjusting her pillows, changing her IV bag, and making small talk. "I see you got some new flowers. You must feel happy. Are they from your son?" 

"Ne. He gave them to me a couple days ago." The much loved patient smiled at the bouquet of flowers. "He's the best." 

Suh Young nodded in understanding. Much of the staff on that ward already knew how he visited her every couple of days and made sure to bring the freshest flowers and fruits, although she couldn't eat them yet. The lady continued to chatter away about his last visit until she fell asleep again. 

 

 

Suh Young continued to move around quietly as she cleared up the area. The curtain moved, and she looked up as Hyun Joong entered. He flashed her a smile then proceeded to check the lady's condition and write down her vital signs. They ended at around the same time, and he stepped out with her, but not before stopping in front of the newly delivered flowers. He stared at them for several seconds then wrote something down on her chart. Suh Young looked at him curiously. "I have a bet with her," Hyun Joong explained as he stepped out. "I said the ahjussi that always comes to visit would end up bringing her more flowers than her son." He consulted his clipboard. "So far, we're 4 for 4." Suh Young gave a small laugh. "You would make a bet with the patients." 

"I really think I'll win," he stated seriously, making her laugh again. "I'm good at these things."

"Alright then," they passed in front of the hospital cafeteria, "what do you think he's going to get? Ramyun or the special?" Suh Young pointed to the man who was standing in front of the rack of instant noodles and eyeing the specials sign at the same time. She had been warming up to Hyun Joong for the past half hour and talking in sentences longer than three or four words. He didn't hesitate. "Ramyun." 

"Oh, and what makes you think that?"

"The ramyun here is really good. He couldn't possibly pass that up. And I've seen him around here before, so he should have tasted it by now." 

They both watched as the man called to one of the workers and placed his order for the special. Suh Young eyed Hyun Joong, giving a smirk, but he simply shook his head. "Who knew he was allergic to ramyun," he pronounced. That set Suh Young off again. His pager beeped, and he took it out. "I have to go. What are you doing for lunch?" he asked. He startled her with the question, and Suh Young didn't know what to say. "Just come to my office, and we'll think of something," he touched her shoulder and then waved, walking off. Suh Young just stood there and shook her head, surprised at how quickly she'd fallen into step with him if only just for a few minutes. 

 


aah! sorry the chapter's short, but i felt like putting it up anyways since i haven't updated in a while. finals have been keeping me busy, but now that they're over hopefully i can update a lot more (esp. the other story). well hopefully the chapter made you happy. suh young just poked her head out of her little bubble! =^-^=