better like this

Drunk on Writing

 

A guy and a girl can be just friends, but at one point or another they will fall for each other. Maybe temporarily, maybe at the wrong time, maybe too late, or maybe forever.
― Anonymous

better like this 

Im Yoona, Lu Han

 

P.S: This is like a further story (and explanation) of what happened in the chapter 9-10 of my story "Over The Phone". I want to write this because I want to picture what actually happen in the story perfectly, (and let out my OTP feeling). You may read "Over The Phone" first, or not. 

 


 

 

“You don’t bring any soju with you?” she scoffed and tried to plaster an irritated look on her face. She was clearly not happy by the fact that I brought nothing but my body with myself, yet, I could slightly see that she also wavered about this drinking thing.

Both of her hands that wrapped the five bottles of soju trembled.

Her lips slightly quivered (that was why she bit her lower lips multiple times unconsciously).

And, her eyes kept glancing away to the left and right, eventhough there was nothing to see there.

Geez, this girl. She tried to look so freaking strong when she actually couldn’t. She tried to hide that from me, her bestfriend since both of us could only burp the alphabet.

I wasn’t her bestfriend for nothing.

“Look, Yoong—“

“Come on, I found a perfect place to hide.”

I knew from the beginning that this drinking thing wasn’t right. But, in the other hand, she was right. I might not be able to accompany her when she had her first shot legally. I might not be able to to stay with her again. We might not be able being together again.

But, in the other hand, this was also wrong. I didn’t want her to get into trouble but heck— did she care? No. It’s just— no matter how hard I tried to knock her sense, I wouldn’t never succeed. Even a hammer couldn’t break that hard head of hers.

I heaved a really deep sigh that I ever heaved for the past few years and decided to follow her from behind. Let this Yoongie won this time.

So, we ended up hiding behind the bush between the slide and the swing. I remembered this place where we usually hide from our Moms and played our imagination out. Just like how Spongebob and Patrick hide inside a box and let their imagination gone wild. We kinda looked that way thirteen years ago. So long. And, that was when reality hit me.

Both of us already grew up, together.

Yoona already grew up physically, but she is still mentally a choding. Her hair was now longer, and she just dyed it to brunette which somehow compatible with her slightly rosy cheeks. Her thin lips (—which I realized were quite glossy because the red lip-gloss she just bought yesterday in the mall), her big eyes (—which she applied contact lenses in, “Glasses is so annoying!”, she said), and her straight nose (—which could smell faint trace of food anywhere and anytime. “Lu, your Mom cooked Kimchi Jigae, right? I’ll come in a minute!”) perfectly placed in her oval-shaped eyes, radiating the beauty that could make any boys went head over heels for her (including, me).

That was when another thing hit me, again. She was a woman.

“You remember?” Yoona suddenly broke the silence that frozing us apart. I woke up to the reality and thought a sec for what she just asked. Before, I could answer, she gave another hint, “This is our place.”

I nodded and smiled to her, recalling the memories when we were kids that believed in a monster hiding behind a bush and we should destroy them for the peace of the world. Yeah, right.

I stared at her again, realizing that she already drank half of the first bottle she opened. Yoona looked at me, aware that she hadn’t offer me to drink. She handed her almost-finished bottle to me, “Drink.”

“No.”

“Drink.”

“No. Who the heck would bring you home if I was drunk too?”

Silence.

I could see tears starting to fill her eyes, eventhough she worked hard to swallow them up and hide them in the little box of her almost-shattered heart. She looked away from me and finished her first bottle in one gulp. She scoffed, “You’re such a lady, Lu.”

But, I knew between those words, there was a soft voice that screamed, ‘thank you for caring’.

That was her first bottle, and I knew something worse would come.

***

She took her second bottle, drinking the soju half-way and stopped. She coughed a little bit. I handed her my handkerchief but she just shrugged it off (talking about how hard-head Im Yoona was). She gave up, but not entirely. She let one, two, three—(I stopped counting) drops of tears streaming down her face. She sobbed and I could only look away. Both of us were drowned in the deepest pit of silence. Only the sound of Yoona’s sobbing was heard, filling the silence and trying to break it. But, it wasn’t hard enough.

Yoona finished her second bottle hardly, yet she didn’t let herself defeated.

***

Third bottle, and I knew she already reached her limit. Her slightly rosy cheeks were now rosier than the rose and her big eyes were not only teary but also slightly red. She looked at me desperately and then she started to cry.

Like, really cried.

That was like the first time I saw her really crying (don’t count her crying over her last spilled milk, don’t count her crying over me teasing her about how stupid she was, don’t count her crying over not getting to eat cheese cake in two days. Don’t). It was like not only tears that streaming down her cheeks. That was also sadness, anger, and another mixed feeling that she hide inside hers.

That was also the second time that I realized she was a woman. Just like any other woman in the world, she had tears in those eyes and heart that was never meant to be broken. And, that was my fault. Too late to realize that fact, and here I was, seeing her crying her heart out. Not to mention that I was the one who broke her heart into pieces.

Man, what should I freaking do?

Despite of being confused about what I needed to do, I reached her shoulder. I grasped her firmly on the shoulders, trying to take out all of the sad feeling that was rushing in her blood. I started to pat her shoulders lightly, just like how I always did when she felt something went wrong in her life.

I broke her heart, but I was more than ready to glue all of the pieces back together.

That was what bestfriends did to each other right? (eventhough my tongue taste bitter when the word of ‘bestfriend’ slipped out of my mind).

She stopped crying for a minute. And, I was ready to take her home because I knew, she reached her limit already.

But, I was wrong.

She took the fourth bottle and started drinking again.

I was sure that girl was a freaking monster.

***

“Ya, Lulu.”

I tried hard to stop myself screaming ‘Don’t you dare to call me Lulu again!’ to her ears, instead, I answered, “Uhm?”

“You, brat.”

Here she go’ I thought and I tried hard not to talk back at her too.

“Stupid Lulu,” and she started sobbing again.

“You are just so— why are you so annoying? Why are you just so freaking—Ah! You always drink my bubble tea without my permission, leaving nothing for me to drink anymore! You always steal my pen when I don’t realize that I actually have one! And, you don’t let me to copy your Math homework eventhough you already know that I’m so stupid! Stupid, Lulu. You are stupid, I hate you! I—so—hate you.”

Right, she just said I was stupid (again) right after she just admitted that she was stupid. Okay, fair enough.

I choose not being a brat this time and just listened to her ramble. Listening wasn’t really my forte, but I tried.

For her, I would always try.

***

She finished her fourth bottle faster than she finished the previous one she already drunk and she went straight to the fifth bottle. The last one.

“But—“ Yoong broke the silence as she took her first gulp from the last bottle. “I would rather have that way.” She continued, “I would rather have you drinking my bubble tea without my permission, I would rather have you stealing my pen when I realize I actually have one, I would rather have you lecturing me about how to do our Math homework. I would rather have that way. I wanted you to stay with me like we always did. This may sounds cliché, but heck— when you’re gone, it’s like you also steal the half part of me and I won’t never be complete without it.”

Me too, Yoong. Me too.’

Silence.

“Stay, Lu. Don’t go.”

I want to stay too.’

Silence.

“Don’t leave me, Lu.”

Silence.

I don’t want to leave you, Yoong. Never. And, I—‘

Something inside me was burning, and something inside me was like trying hard to pop out of the shell of me and— “I love you,” That was it. The three words that I tried to hide from her. The three words that I never had the guts to say it out loud to her. The three words that I wanted her to hear yet the three words that I didn’t want her to hear, from me.

Finally, those three words found their ways to sneak out of my hearts and slip out of my tongue. Would those words be able to escape from my heart into her heart? I didn’t know.

She was shocked at first, obviously. But then, she put the bottle next to her on the ground. She looked at me, or I would say, into my eyes, trying to find the answer whether I joked or not about it. Once she found her answer, she smiled.

And, then next thing she did was completely not on the list of the things that I would expect her to do.

She grabbed my chin and pressed her lips to mine, gently.

I didn’t drink any bottles of soju that Yoona brought, but it felt like I already drunk bottles and bottles of soju, getting higher than the moon and flying over the galaxy as I kissed her back gently and a bit passionately. Her lips taste like strawberry and soju, a contrast combination but it was enough to drive me crazy as I pressed myself closer to her, and wrapped my hands around her waist.

The kiss was innocent as both of us knew that this was certainly our first kiss with someone except our Mom and Dad. This kiss was not in haste as both of us pressed our lips against each other soothingly, not wanting to forget every moment that passed when we started to forget about everything and anything. The kiss was perfect as we realized that our lips were fit just perfectly against each other.

Yoona suddenly pushed her lips away from mine and rested her head on my shoulder. Her eyes were closed, and I knew she already passed out. I looked at her and put my chin on her head. I slowly embraced her, definitely not wanting to let her go.

I felt my cheeks were moist as if I cried before. I touched them and realized what it was.

Tears. Yoona’s tears

***

People always told me and Yoona that guys and girls can’t be bestfriends. As long as we denied it, there were times that I actually wished we would be more than just bestfriends. But, there were also times, that I thought it was better this way. Why bother to change it?

That was why the next day, I called her to check if she remembered anything from last night.

“…. No. Did I do something embarrassing?”

I smiled, “No, nothing embarrassing.”

Maybe, me (and her) thought it was better this way (for now).

 


The idea comes up when I'm not satisified enough of how I explain things that happened 'at night' in my story (the story is a phone call format and I have problem with further explaining the wholeeee thing that happened through the format). Hope you like it!