Chapter 7

My Love, My Fate

 

Yoon hee and Dong hoon were waiting for the doctor to come out of the room, when they had reached Taemin’s side back at the house, his head was bleeding. By the time they brought him to the hospital, they were afraid that they might be too late. Minho was there too but he was seated by the side of the hallway. He hadn’t meant for Taemin to fall down the stairs, if only he hadn’t let go then Taemin would still be all right. The doctor came out after 20 minutes and all three of them rushed to his side.

                “Right now his condition is quite stable but he is still unconscious. We checked his brain and found that there is some bruised blood in his brain and it is right on the nerves for his vision. We don’t know for sure if it’s going to affect his vision or not. We’re just going to have to wait until he wakes up” Dong hoon thanked the doctor and followed Yoon hee into the room, they saw Taemin lying there, he had a bandage on his head. He looked so small and fragile lying there, they don’t even know how to break the news to him if he did wake up and wasn’t able to see anything. It was nearing midnight and Taemin still hadn’t woken up yet. Minho could see that his parents were getting tired so he told them to go home and he’ll look after Taemin instead. His parents bought him some food before they left, however they were stopped at the hallway by the doctor.

                “Mr. Choi and Mrs. Choi, I didn’t say this in front of your son since Mr. Lee was his fiancé, but when I was examining his body, I found many scars and bruises. Some were probably from his fall, but others looked to be a few months to a few years old. Do you want us to call the police? He’s still young when it happened so it’s still considered child abuse” the doctor was waiting for their reply. Now Yoon hee understood why Taemin wouldn’t let her help him wash up. He was afraid of showing her his wounds and probably creates a bigger issue. Yoon hee shook her head and told them that she wants to wait until Taemin was awake and ask for his opinion. The doctor nodded and let them leave. Back in the room, Minho was still seated beside Taemin, he felt that he should be the one to stay here since he was the one that made Taemin like that, he should take responsibility for it. Minho had fallen asleep but he was woken up by someone whimpering, he looked over at Taemin and saw his eyes fluttering open.

                “Hey, you okay?” Minho gently touched Taemin’s shoulder; his heart ached a little when he saw him flinch a bit.

                “Yeah, it’s a bit dark; could you turn on the lights?” Minho looked around them, the light was bright, what did Taemin mean?

                “Taemin, the lights are on, what are you talking about?” Minho could see Taemin turning his head but his eyes appear to be unfocused. Taemin began to frantically wave his hands in front of his eyes.

                “Why can’t I see anything?! What happened to me?! Minho! Minho!” Taemin called out, stretching out his hands. Minho took them in his and held them tight, he felt Taemin’s hands grip onto his. He pressed the emergency button and within seconds, the doctor came in. He inspected Taemin’s head and his eyes, when he shined the light in his eyes, Taemin didn’t make any attempt to move away from it.

                “Mr. Lee, when you fell down the stairs, you hit your head causing some bruised blood to be blocking some nerves. As soon as the blood clears, you should be able to see again, but the thing is we don’t know how long that’s going to take” Taemin nodded and Minho thanked the doctor before turning back to Taemin. His head was down and Minho could see some wet spots on the blankets by Taemin’s hands. Minho lifted Taemin’s head and saw him crying, he was about to wipe the tears away but stopped himself. He handed Taemin a napkin to wipe his tears away, watching as he struggled to find the napkin until Minho stuffed it in his hands.

                “The doctor said it’s not going to be permanent so there’s no point in crying. We’ll take care of you until you get better” Minho wanted to make Taemin feel better but it was his tone of voice that made it sound as if he didn’t want Taemin to stay.

                “What happens if I never get my vision back? Would you take care of me forever?” Taemin whispered and he was hoping Minho would say yes. He knew that it was stupid of him to think that, but if Minho was willing to love him back, it was something that he would be willing to sacrifice.

                “In a few months you’re going to turn 18 and by then we’re going to be married, so I have to take care of you whether I like it or not” Minho didn’t see the disappointment on Taemin’s face and tried to make him lie down again. When Minho placed his hands on Taemin’s shoulder, he realized that Taemin was skinnier than he thought. Taemin suddenly pulled Minho forward and buried his head into Minho’s chest; he started to hear muffled sobs.

                “There’s no use to cry, Taemin. It’s not going to bring your eyesight back; you’re just going to tire yourself out. I’m sorry for not holding tighter onto you, if I hadn’t let you go, then you wouldn’t be in this state” Taemin shook his head, he knew that it wasn’t Minho’s fault, he was the one who pushed Minho away, making him lose his footing.

                “It’s not your fault, don’t blame yourself for it” Taemin had managed to stop his sobs, they were just sniffles now. He then lied down on the bed with Minho’s help and covered him with the blanket.

                “Do you want me to turn off the light?” Taemin shook his head.

                “I can’t even see anyways” Taemin closed his eyes and within a few seconds he had fallen asleep again. The next morning, two people barged into the room, waking Minho up. He thought it was his umma but it was a different umma.

                “What did you do to my baby?!” Key ran up to Minho and pushed him out of the way. Taemin woke up from all the noise and adorably rubbed his eyes, making Key wanting to go ‘aww’.

                “Taemin, umma’s here” Key waited for Taemin to leap into his arms but all he got was his baby looking around for his voice. Jonghyun looked over at Minho and saw something in his eyes, he knew something was wrong.

                “Taemin, I’m in front of you, can’t you see me?” Key’s smile faltered as he saw Taemin shaking his head. Key looked at Minho and his expression said that he was waiting for an explanation.

                “The doctor said that Taemin had hit his head from the fall and for now he’s blind. When the blood clears from his head, he should regain his eyesight but the doctor doesn’t know when that will happen” Key wanted to cry, Taemin must be so scared right now. He went over and pulled Taemin into a tight hug, smiling when he felt Taemin’s arms wrap around him.

                “I’m fine, umma. I’ll probably heal fast and before you know it, I’ll be able to see next week” Taemin tried to reassure Key which was adorable. Key nodded before realizing that Taemin couldn’t see it.

                “Of course baby, you’re going to better really soon” Key caressed Taemin’s cheek; Taemin closed his eyes, feeling Key’s hand on his skin. Not being able to see made him a bit more aware of his other senses.

                “What happened, Minho? How did Taemin end up in here?” Jonghyun asked, when he saw Minho yesterday, he said that Taemin was fine.

                “We had some argument and I didn’t realize that we were near the stairs, he pushed me away and I lost my grip, letting him fall down the stairs” Minho looked at Taemin, he was still cuddling into Key’s embrace, making him want to push Key away for some reason. The doctor came in and Key gently pushed Taemin back. The doctor checked on all of Taemin’s vitals and head wound.

                “It appears that if you want to go home, you can Mr. Lee. Just as long as you remember to come back two days afterwards for your follow up. Even though the wound on your head was only the scalp and now the actual skull, it healed a bit faster than we anticipated. Next time we will be able to check on your brain and hopefully some of the blood would have cleared already” Taemin nodded and thanked the doctor. Just then Jonghyun’s phone rang and he opened the text message.

                “Sorry but there’s a meeting we have to attend to. Taemin, get well soon and we’ll come visit you tomorrow” Key sadly let Taemin go but not before kissing his forehead and walking out the door. Taemin forgot that Minho was still there so when he tried to get out of bed, a hand grabbed onto his waist, making him squeak in surprise.

                “Don’t try to get off so fast, I don’t want you to hurt your head again and then I would have to stay here another night” Taemin nodded and started to slowly walk out the door. He was starting to feel conscious of Mnho’s arm around his waist; he was being extra gentle with him, telling him when to step up or to be careful of stairs. For a split second, Taemin felt as if they were married and he was pregnant with Minho’s child, afraid that he would trip and hurt himself. Taemin smiled sadly, there was no way Minho would love him like that and he would never be able to have Minho’s child. 

 

It's going a bit slow right now, but hopefully you enjoy reading this story, you~!