Chapter 5

Take Me Home

Jung-ah gulped and gave her daughter a reassuring smile, “ Go with your Yuri-unnie, okay?” Sooyoung nodded her head weakly and followed Yuri up the stairs. “Jagiya, can I meet you in the kitchen for a moment?”  Kahi was done setting up the living room and nodded her head.

 

Following her wife into the kitchen, Kahi was concerned. “What's wrong, yeobo?” She wrapped her arms around Jung-ah’s waist. “I want Sooyoung to get a check-up at the doctors,” Jung-ah admitted. She continued, “She’s so skinny and with clothes being so big, you still can see the bruises on her back. Especially what her parents did to her when she was twelve, branding her with that tattoo.”

 

Kahi nodded her head and pulled her wife in closer, “Out of all the girls, Sooyoung has been in foster care the longest. I promise to you I- I mean we need to give her the love and care she needs.”

 

“Maybe we can talk to her tomorrow, I want to her to feel comfortable and to feel at home,” Jung-ah confessed. “Arrasseo,” Kahi smiled and kissed Jung-ah’s lips. They returned to their living room, where they saw all of their girls together. “Ummas, doesn't Sooyoungie look good in my jammies?” Yuri announced to the whole family.

 

The couple laughed and Sooyoung looked down in embarrassment. “So whose turn is it to pick the movie?” Kahi asked. Sunny raised her hand, “Me!”

 

Sunny turned to look at Sooyoung, “ Do you want to pick, Youngie? I was gonna pick ‘Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone!” Sooyoung felt that all eyes are on her and replied shyly, “ I never had a chance to watch any Harry Potter, but I read all the books…” She nodded her head in agreement to watch the film.

 

“Now we get to watch all of them again!” Taeyeon laughed out loud and high-fives Sunny. The others let out a groan and their parents couldn't help it and laugh.

 

Sooyoung let out a light laugh and for the first time showed a genuine smile at her newfound family.

 

..

 

Sooyoung loved the first movie and she could see the differences between the book and the film. After the movie, she said goodnight to her parents and siblings and brushed her teeth and went off to bed.

 

She said her prayers on she was blessed how a family wanted to love despite of her painful experiences. Sooyoung also hoped she didn't have nightmares on her first night staying her new family.

 

..

 

Sooyoung’s internal alarm clock woke her around five in the morning. She showered, brushed her teeth, and put on her church dress that Mrs.Min gave her on her thirteenth birthday. It surprised her how she kept it in such good condition. She also put on her locket that is the last reminder of her family, Sooyoung was able to get a chain from a local jeweler that she worked for.

 

Finishing up getting ready around six, Sooyoung made her way to kitchen to prepare breakfast. Not knowing what her family would want to eat for breakfast, she decided to go for a traditional Korean breakfast. I could always prepare an American style tomorrow. Sooyoung thought, she put her hair up in a ponytail and started to look in the refrigerator.

 

She tried her best to be quiet, knowing how spacious their house was. Sooyoung gave herself an hour and thirty minutes to finish the meal.

 

After Sooyoung was done, she began to set the table. She stood near the dining room table and waited for her parents to wake up. Sooyoung made sure the food stayed warm, being scared of what her new parents could do to her if she served the food cold.

 

..

 

Kahi started to stir in her sleep due to the smell of coffee coming from the kitchen. “Jung-ah wake up, we have church today.” Her wife let out a groan, “You wake up half of our girls and Young-ah. I'll try to wake up Sica and the rest.” Kahi got up first going into every daughters’ rooms and waking them to up get ready.

 

She decided to go into Sooyoung’s room last and knocked on the door softly.

 

“Youngie?”

 

Kahi gasped, the bed was already made.

 

She started to panic, checking the bathroom and closet. What if she didn't like it here?  Kahi went down the stairs, expecting to find the chefs to make breakfast, but found Sooyoung standing near the dining table. She wrapped her arms around Sooyoung for a few seconds and brought her hands to Sooyoung's cheeks. "Youngie, why are you up so early?"

 

The sound of her mother's voice sounded angry to Sooyoung, she looked down and replied quietly, " I didn't know what time to wake up for church..I didn't know what you wanted for breakfast too, so I made what I can. I'm sorry, Umma. I'm sorry, "Sooyoung was close to tears and she kneeled in front of her mother. She prayed that her mother wouldnt hit her.

 

Kahi was left speechless. She saw how the abuse from Sooyoung's foster parents affected her. She kneeled down in front of Sooyoung, "Youngie, you didn't do anything wrong. Please understand." She hugged Sooyoung and rubbed Sooyoung's back. "Thank you for cooking breakfast too, you probably cook better than me," Kahi laughed and Sooyoung let out a small laugh.

 

"Morning," Kahi and Sooyoung looked up to find Jung-ah and the rest of her daughters all ready dressed for church. They had witnessed the conversation between their Umma and sister. The eight stood their in silence and Jung-ah held back tears.

 

"Good morning," Sooyoung quietly replied. They stood up and Sooyoung bowed slightly. "Sooyoungie made breakfast, so eat up before we go to church!"