Five.

My Heart Still Beats For You

-

It stung. To ask about her. All she wanted is for them to be back like the old times. The fling they had, she had buried it along with the many sleeping pills that she took. She put on her smiling facade and turned, looking at him.

“W-Well. She’s in her second trimester. The baby’s healthy.” He fiddled his thumbs nervously, faking a smile.

She meekly attempt a nod. “Exciting isn’t it? Who would have thought I’d get to see a mini you?” She let out a small laugh, shaking her head a little. Or a mini her. She thought.

“I’m sorry Leena. Can we stop?” Her smile dropped.

“Can we just stop acting? Like everything is okay. Like nothing had happened. Truth is, happened. Look at you.” His eyebrows drooped further down, hurt written all over.

“Kim Leena. I know nothing I say can make up for the hurt you’ve been through. Let me make it up to you. Please. Give me a chance to. I know it’s impossible for us to be more than friends. As much as it hurts for me to say that, I still want you in my life.” He hung his head low, tears flowing. Leena broke a little more inside as she looked on to the man she loves.

“Best friends.” She reached for his hands. “We are best friends Jae.. Not just friends.” He held her hands tight, as he leans in leaving a light peck on them.

“Thank you Leena. Thank you.”

-

Jae and Leena mended what was broken. They’ve put the past behind them and lived for the present. Jae introduced Arra to Leena and it seemed like they could click with each other almost instantaneously. Leena was excited over the pregnancy and she would come over to hang out during the weekends giving story time to the tiny living thing in Arra’s womb.

Jae on the other hand, have been a whole lot better. Never really slipping into a daze when he is alone. He was contented. He had Leena back in his life and he got to care for Arra at the same time. There are times where he would imagine Leena with the baby bump or in some cases where Leena would have a baby in her arms waiting at the porch for him. It was a dream he wasn’t able to catch hold of. For that, what he has now, would suffice. 

-

"Naerin. Hey little girl. Leena Imo here. Oh boy aren't you getting bigger. Hurry will you? I can't wait to see you little one." She spoke softly to Arra's tummy and as though the baby heard her, Arra felt a kick.

"Oh my god! Leena! Continue speaking to her. I felt her kick!" Surprise and elation filled Leena' face as she placed her hand on Arra's tummy.

"Can you hear me Naerin? Yes. Naerin that's your name beautiful. Both your Omma and Appa gave you that name. Do you like it? I love it though." She smiled as she felt the kick against her hand. She looked up and her gaze fell on him. He was standing behind Arra, observing their exchange. He smiled as he made his way towards them, and her heart dropped as her smile falter. She realized and put her smile back on as she made way to the side for him. 

She stood up, walked to the back as she looked on. Jae's smiling face as he leaned his head lightly on Arra's tummy, Arra's shy giggle as she his hair back as she listened to his cooing. It was picture perfect. Her eyes stung as she realized she had been staring, blinking away the pooled up tears she turned away to avoid getting caught. 

This feeling. This sickening stabbing feeling. She had to live with it. Even though living day by day and having to put up a brave front acting like everything was okay was actually taking a toll on her, she couldn't let anything get in the way. For the sake of their friendship. 

-

"Hey. What are you looking at?" Jae broke her train of thoughts as she looked on upon her backyard. She turned towards his voice smiling. 

"Admiring nature's beauty. What are you doing here?" She pat the empty space in her hammock. Jae made his way to her front and sat on the now occupied space. It felt snug. 

"Meeting my beautiful bestfriend. Why would I come here then? Say hello to the floor?" She scoffed at his sarcasm. 

"Funny mister. But really though. Arra knows?" She fiddled around the hem of her skirt. 

"Hmm. She told me to get out. Get a breather she says. She's having those moods I guess. Alone time." He smiled as he take in her features. How he missed kissing those plump lips. 

"Ahh. Well. Okay.. On a side note, I can't wait to see Naerin. She'll be one hell of a gorgeous kid!" She giggled. Arra made her promise to be the godmother of the child which she agreed at an instant. She turned her attention back to the view infront of her smiling as she imagines the sounds of the little footsteps, the laughters, and cries. Her chain of thoughts broke as she felt a cold feeling upon her chest. Her fingers instantaneously reached up and there it was.

"Jae? W-What is all this?" She looked up at him who was now behind her as he buckles the chain. He smiled down and kisses her forehead. 

"Pabo. Its a necklace." He lifts all her hair through the chain and settled them back down as they flow gloriously down her back. Her tresses has always been beautiful which he loved.

He went back to her front and knelt on his both feet in front of her. Her eyes glued to him as though expecting a valid explanation for his acts. He chuckled as he touched the pendant. 

"You are the heart surrounding me, holding me together when Im in pieces. Giving me the love and support which I yearned for. You are a strong woman Leena and for that Im grateful. I know I've wronged you and no this gift isn't a way for me to redeem myself. Please don't ever think it that way. This is a token of our friendship for I hope that death is the only factor for us to part." He was now holding her hands in his. Her eyes pooling with tears as she digested all that he ahd said. She was thankful but she somehow felt like she doesn't deserve this gift. 

"Jae.." She managed to find her voice. "I don't deserve this. It should have been Arra's" 

-

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Hey to the new subscribers!

Thank you so much for making me feel like this story is worth your time. I hope to complete this soon for closure. 

Till then, I hope this chapter sufficed your expectations! 

 

PLEASE PLEASE DO COMMENT ON HOW YOU LIKE IT THUS FAR. OR WHAT YOU WANT TO EXPECT IN THE NEW CHAPTERS. 

THANK YOU!