Haneun: The Pencil

☃ Blizzard One-Shot and Drabble Collection ☃

 

Title - The Pencil

Main Characters - Luhan and Naeun

Basic Plot - Some become close because of schoolwork, others build their friendship through mutual interests, but they met because of a pencil.  

Requested by - FYILWKTS

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

(Third Grade)

 

 

I heard a new student is going to stay in our class today,” a small boy whispered to his group of friends.

 

Is it a boy or a girl?” one of them asked curiously. The circle of interested grade school students leaned forward to clearly hear the answer of the nosy informer.

 

After a dramatic pause, he replied, “It's a girl!”

 

The boys cheered and high fived each other. "I hope she's pretty and smart!" they agreed.

 

The informer gave a knowing laugh and added, "She's not only all that, but she's wealthy as well! I heard her parents are doctors from Gangnam who moved here because too many people wanted their help. She's so cool, I want to meet her!"

 

In the back corner of the class room, 10 year Xi Luhan watched the scene unfold in front of his eyes and shook his head in disapproval. While biting his lower lip, he thought to himself,

 

They don't have anything better to do than to gossip? Well, I think the girl sounds a little prou-”

 

Class is starting!” the teacher loudly came into the classroom and interrupted his thoughts. The students immediately stopped talking to each other and scrambled back to their seats.

 

The older woman waited for the class to calm down completely. Afterwards, while looking at her students carefully, she said, “As some of you may know, we're having a new student with us.”

 

Luhan turned his head to stare at his classmates who were conversing about the topic only a few minutes ago. They had obvious triumphant and excited looks on their faces.

 

She's waiting outside right now,” the teacher revealed. Every student's head snapped to the door, eagerly expecting her to enter.

 

Naeun, you can come in now,” the teacher coaxed soothingly.

 

At that moment, a small girl entered the classroom. Her hair was decorated with an obviously branded headband, and her uniform was crisp and new. Naeun's eyes were wide, and she bit her lower lip in nervousness.

 

Is she acting? Rich girls aren't shy, Luhan thought. He did not seem to like her.

 

Please introduce yourself, Naeun,” the teacher prompted. The little girl stared at the class apprehensively.

 

I am Son Naeun,” she said in a voice slightly above a whisper. After a short and hesitant bow, she continued, “Please take care of me!”

 

The teacher nodded in approval. Without further ado, he pointed towards Luhan's direction and stated, “Naeun, please stay beside Xi Luhan. I'm sure he's going to be a great seat mate to you.”

 

Luhan's eyes widened in surprise. There were numerous other seats available, so why did she have to sit beside him? He was about to protest, but the Naeun was already making his way towards him.

 

Luhan could feel the envious stares of his male classmates burn through him. He scrunched up his forehead and frowned. Why me?

 

 

 

(Class Starts)

 

 

 

The young students were given a worksheet to answer with their seatmate. 

 

Luhan turned to Naeun and frankly asked, "Are you good at Math?"

 

Naeun shyly looked down at her desk; she nodded slightly but noticeably. The subtle sign was enough for Luhan.

 

Let's work separately then.” Luhan snorted. “If your parents are smart, then you should be, too.”

 

Luhan turned his attention back to his paper and started on the first question. For several minutes, he would not look at the “proud and fake” girl beside him.

 

Four divided by twenty four is...

 

Why aren't you working?!” Luhan could not take it anymore and he finally burst out. Even without looking, he could tell that his seat mate was not writing anything down. With loud yet controlled voice, he asked, “Are you that powerful? You won't even try answering what everyone else is assigned to. Why are you so proud?”

 

I...I...” Naeun stuttered unsurely. 

 

Luhan stopped shouting and stared at her curiously. He wanted to see what her reply would be after he accused her shamelessly. 

 

With her voice shaking, Naeun finally answered, “I couldn't answer because I don't have a pencil.”

 

That was it.

 

All the negative emotions which Luhan held for the new girl immediately disappeared.

 

You're parents forgot to buy you one?” he asked softly; his voice toned down noticeably.

 

Naeun nodded shyly - almost pitifully.

 

Luhan thought back. Since Naeun had entered the classroom alone, her parents probably did not have enough time to bring her during her first day. Luhan squinted as he thought about how they did not even buy her the most insignificant yet vital school material needed.

 

The Son family probably never spent too much time with one another.

 

I'll let you borrow my extra pencil,” Luhan genuinely offered. He then decided not to judge her anymore. In actuality, she was not “rich and proud” but simply “misunderstood and shy.”

 

Naeun's head shot up. In surprise, she asked, “Really?” It was as if his offer was the one of the first acts of kindness anyone has ever done for her. Luhan confidently nodded in reply.

 

With the most brilliant smile Naeun had ever put up, she sincerely replied, “Thank you.”

 

That marked the start of Luhan and Naeun's friendship. 

 

 

 

(Third Grade Elementary to Second Year High School)

 

 

 

The two were inseparable for years afterwards. 

 

They ate together every break time, 

 

they walked home with each other after school despite their extra curricular activities;

 

they gave each other countless of support and advice to get through any problem, be it academics or family relationships.

 

 

 

 

(Third Year High School)

 

 

 

 

"I'm leaving," Naeun suddenly revealed.

 

Luhan looked up from his book and adjusted his glasses. "Did I hear correctly?" he asked. 

 

Naeun began to play with her hands. While biting her lip, she explained, "My parents are needed in Japan, and they want me to come with them." 

 

Luhan's complete attention was now on her. "What did you say?" he asked with his mouth slightly agape. He did not want to believe in her words.

 

"A new hospital is recruiting them," she continued, "and they immediately accepted the offer."

 

The world around Luhan suddenly became a blurr. If she was not joking around, his life would soon crash miserably. 

 

"Luhan, I want my relationship with them to improve." Naeun's eyes intensely burned through him. "I decided to come with them without a fight." 

 

His breathing was uneven, and a cold sweat formed in his forehead.

 

Luhan did not want to lose her. She was his life; she was everything to him. Allowing her to leave would be severely difficutlt.

 

But he held no heavy weight in her decision. Even if he protested, nothing would change. Luhan would be forced to accept and understand everything. 

 

"I'll wait for you," he broke the silence with a forced smile. "Come back soon, alright?"

 

After his words, Naeun grinned and suddenly stood up from her seat. After she approached him, she gave him a tight embrace and said,

 

"I'll meet you soon."

 

 

 

(Last Year in College)

 

 

 

Luhan was studying in the library. His final exams were coming closer, and he desperately wanted to be part of the Honors List. 

 

Throughout Book Five, Milton utilizes images of gardening and nourishment to convey...

 

"Excuse me," a sweet voice interrupted his thoughts. 

 

He was hesitant to stop reviewing, but Luhan finally looked up from his book. 

 

Instantaneously, his breathing paused and his eyes widened in shock.

 

He did not know if he was hallucinating or not.

 

The woman whom he had waited years to catch a glimpse of was actually there. 

 

Son Naeun was standing directly in front of him.

 

With a light smile and shining eyes, she innocently asked, 

 

"Xi Luhan, will you allow me to borrow your pencil again?"