Surong: Graduation

☃ Blizzard One-Shot and Drabble Collection ☃

 

Title - Graduation

Main Characters - Suho and Chorong

Basic Plot - Suho and Chorong broke up due to schoolwork. Finally, their last day as schoolmates - and possibly their last day together - arrived. 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

“Let's break up,” Suho said suddenly. 

 

Chorong's eyes widened twice its usual size, and her breathing was cut short. When her boyfriend called her out to the rooftop after school, she did not at all expect him to say anything close to those words.

 

“But wh-why?” she stuttered. In complete surprise, she asked, “We did not have any misunderstandings, and we're close to our third month anniversary. School just started as well. So, why?”

 

Suho sighed and turned his back on her while leaning on the metal railings. As he blankly stared up at the powder blue sky, he answered, “My grades are gradually dropping, Chorong, and more homework is piling up since we're already second year in college. I might not have time for you in the future.”

 

Chorong's world crash before her. Instantaneously, a tear rolled down her eye, and she solidly bit her lower lip. 

 

"You care about your grades more than me?" she asked dejectedly; her voice shook inevitably. 

 

Suho turned around and stared directly at the fragile girl in front of him. She was on the brink of breaking down, but he could not take back his words. Suho had carefully thought of his decision long before he revealed it to her. 

 

"Chorong, you will always be the most important girl to me," Suho started saying, "but you must know how much I want to stay on top."

 

It was decided then. 

 

 

- - - - - -

 

 

Suho and Chorong remained friends, but the break up left a subtle yet present disturbance in the atmosphere whenever they met each other. Merely from the surface, both could already foretell how arduous it was to overcome. 

 

For the remainder of second year, they avoided each other. 

 

Third year was slightly better when they were forced to pair up together and work on various projects. However, they only conversed about school work. Reminiscing was out of the question.

 

Suho and Chorong were no longer classmates during their fourth and last year; therefore, their interactions lessened significantly. 

 

 

- - - - -

 

 

Finally, it was time for graduation. Expectedly, Suho realized his dream and came out as the batch's valedictorian. 

 

He stood in front of the numerous teachers, staff, families and students. 

 

"I want to start off by saying how much I learned from being in this school," he spoke professionally. 

 

Chorong did not follow his speech. Since it was already their last day together, she decided that it was time to face her fears and recall all the memories which she and Suho had made together.

 

Two years ago, they were inseparable. They studied together, ate together and relatively did everything together. 

 

"But we broke up," Chorong spoke to herself softly so that no one could hear her words. "I shouldn't have left his side then," Chorong looked down and scolded herself. Realization dawned upon her only then. "I should've waited a bit longer."

 

Chorong felt as if someone was calling her name, but she ignored the feeling and continued on thinking.

 

"What kind of girlfriend was I? If I did not act so distant, then maybe our relationship would have strengthened instead of becoming what it is now." 

 

Chorong felt as if multiple eyes were now laid on her, but she simply disregarded them and continued envisaging their potential activities together. 

 

"If Suho was to give me one more chance, I would grasp it immediately," she finally concluded.

 

At that moment, Chorong's seatmate gently shook her shoulder and pointed at the stage. She looked up and followed her hand.

 

It lead to Suho. 

 

Chorong concentrated solely on him now. He stared directly at her, delighted that he finally grasped her attention. With a bright yet nervous smile, he continued talking. He spoke directly to her when said,"Chorong, I caused our separation two years ago, and I'm truly sorry."

 

If someone was not listening to his speech a second ago, he would be now. Chorong's thoughts ran wild. What was he saying? Why was he saying those words now? How was she supposed to react? 

 

"School is over, Chorong. I have all the time for you now." Even from afar, she could see that his eyes were filled with sincerity and affection. Everyone held their breath. Chorong could foretell what he was about to say. She waited years for it, and he was finally able to gather enough courage and responsibility to say, 

 

"Chorong, my feelings for you never ceased or decreased. Are you willing to start again?"