Growing up

If you're with me, then everything's alright

 

However, things weren’t always easy for us. There were several instances that took a toll on our friendship. For starters, in middle school, the students used to tease us for being a couple due to our ‘excessive skinship.’ Most of the girls were relieved when they found out that we were just friends but I soon became the target of their bullying. I was called a ‘’ for hanging around and being intimate with their Zelo oppa. Zelo wasn’t just a regularly boy at school, he was really popular with the girls at school. He literally had a line of girls waiting to date him. I, on the other hand, was just a regular senior. The other girls obviously did not like this and felt that he should be dating Nana instead, the most popular girl in school who was in his year.

Nana had approached me with her gang of girls and told me to back away from their Zelo. I found it childish at first. The girls were treating Zelo like he was some property that belonged to them. I never told this to Zelo though. However, with the final year exams nearing, I was focused on my studies and we naturally drifted apart.

We started talking again on my middle school graduation day.

“Noona, congrats. I heard that you got accepted into the high school you wanted.” He said as he passed me a small blue box. I opened the box and was surprised to find a necklace. Without saying anything, he took the necklace and stood behind me. He then brushed my hair to the side and placed the necklace around my neck. I then realized the initials carved into the infinity sign pendent. It was the initials of my name and his.

“Granny and I picked this out for your graduation present. I guess it kind of symbolizes our everlasting friendship.” He said. It was awkward hearing him saying this but I turned around and gave him a big hug.

“I miss you Zelo.” I whispered. I felt his arms tighten around me.

“Why didn’t you tell me about Nana?” He asked. I looked at him slightly shocked. “I found out from some girls from my class. I told them off though. No one gets away with being rude to my noona like that.”

I smiled hearing his words.

“Mianhae…” He said again and sighed. “You had to suffer because of me. I should have been there to protect you.”

“Aniya Zelo… It’s not your fault.” I said but he wasn’t listening.

“From now on, I’ll protect you. If anything happens, please don’t keep it from me. I want to be here for you.”

“Babo… You have always been here for me.” I replied and snuggled closer to his chest.