God

Paper Plane

As a short, smart looking woman left the room with a black folder in hand, Sehun took his chance to peek into the small gap of the door as it closed. He couldn’t see much through the tiny space, and could only just make out the young man lying on the white bed, eyes closed and a painfully tired expression gracing his face.
The woman turned slightly as she passed Sehun, momentarily catching eye contact before she continued walked, stopped, and walked back. The boy stared blankly at the doctor, hoping to himself that she wouldn’t try to start a conversation.
“Se…hun?”
Her mature but feminine voice rung in Sehun’s ears. It sounded strikingly familiar and the boy wished he had been able to ask her who she was, but he kept the paper safely hidden in his bag, forbidding himself from using it. Instead, the boy looked the woman up and down, quickly finding what it was he was looking for. Clipped just above her left, blue pocket was a nametag that ready ‘Kim Taeyeon’, a name Sehun could easily recognise.
He lifted his head with a small smile and nodded to answer his ex-doctor’s question, almost feeling stupid that he couldn’t remember the woman who had cared for him during his stay.
“I thought so!” She almost shrieked with happiness as she gave a goofy smile, showcasing her almost perfectly straight, white pearls. Her long, clearly dyed, chestnut brown hair was swept over to one side and her petit appearance made her look years younger than she was.

Sehun could just about match the mature features the woman held to the baby ones of the nineteen year old trainee doctor that he had knew. She had lost the chubby cheeks but kept the dorky smile. Her hair was now shades lighter than the natural black colour it had once possessed. But she was definitely the same person.

“It’s been so long. How have you been?” Taeyeon asked before realisation hit her. She winced, concern throwing itself onto her face as something clicked inside her brain from the silence that answered her questions. Placing a small hand on the younger boy’s shoulder, the woman smiled sadly. “I’m sorry Sehun, I forgot. It was ignorant of me to have forgotten such a thing; I hope you can accept my apology.”
But Sehun simply smiled, a painful smile none-the-less, but it was a smile, and shook his head. He had hoped to bid the woman farewell and slip into Luhan’s room before visiting hours were over, but with a lack of voice, found himself able to do nothing but nod and smile at the woman’s words.
It didn’t however, last long. Just as Sehun was starting to fidget, a man only half a head taller than the woman walked past, tapping the female on the shoulder as he did so.
“Taeyeon you can’t stand around talking, you know what will happen if you get caught.” The man walked off rather quickly, leaving Sehun to only see dark hair and nothing more.
Taeyeon’s face dropped as she called back, “Okay Joonmyeon. I know.” Before returning her attention to the boy hoping to escape. “You’re here to see Luhan right? Don’t tire him out.”
Sehun had little time to respond, not that he would have been able to anyway, before the chestnut brown haired woman sped off down the corridor. He smiled contently as he watched her go, not because he held negative feelings for the woman, but because he had wanted to get into Luhan’s room as quick as possible.

 

The wooden door opened without even a creak and Sehun thanked the heavens for such a gift. He looked around the silent room briefly, holding back a sigh at how painfully plain the walls and furniture were. Thin, plaster walls had been painted a pure white, only to be stained and dull over time. The floor was that of concrete and shone back at Sehun when he looked down at it, frowning at the grey pattern that took the room. Light brown dressers and bedside tables were the only things that held even the slightest bit of colour, and a worn out, dark brown sofa was placed near the window with only a small gap for someone to stand and look outside.
Sehun lifted his foot to walk over to the sleeping figure on the bed, a small squeak filling the deafening silence as he did so. He watched as Luhan’s eyes flickered open slightly, a small smile captivating the weak man’s face as he looked at his only friend, only for it to disappear quickly.
“I didn’t want you to know.” He whispered, and Sehun led himself to believe that that was the only thing he was able to do. “I didn’t want to burden you with the worry that I might not make it. I was stupid for meeting you all those times, because by doing that I was pulling you into the worry and locking you there so you couldn’t escape. Sehun I-”
But the boy cut him off by placing a finger to the sick man’s lips, wordlessly hushing him as he shook his head.

Sehun didn’t mind that he had been ‘pulled into the worry’. He didn’t mind that Luhan had kept it a secret. He only minded that Luhan had thought he needed to keep it secret, that he couldn’t tell anyone about his condition.
It had been painfully obvious to Sehun from the very start and he now felt that he should have spoken up instead of being so cowardly and afraid of the truth. If the boy had learnt anything in his uneducated years, it was that the truth always found a way to reveal itself. You couldn’t run from the truth – you could cover it with lies, the very thing they had been doing the whole time – but you couldn’t run from it.

Inhaling sharply, Sehun faked a small smile as he looked into the doe-like eyes, one of the only acts of reassurance he could manage with no voice. He didn’t really know what to tell the man or ask him, and for a moment had forgotten all about the pad of lined paper hidden away in his grey-blue rucksack.
“How did you…find out?” Luhan asked, pausing to fight back a yawn.
Sehun felt an unwelcomed sorrow filling him as he realise he was stealing the time Luhan could be using to rest. He glanced at the tired man before looking around the room, unable to face the painful expression on his face.
“Sehun?”
It was only then that the boy realised he was yet to answer the question and reluctantly pulled a wad of paper out of his bag. He looked down at the organised lines, staring blankly as he wondered how to explain to his beloved friend that he had known all along. He felt like he had betrayed Luhan, but in truth the issue had never come up and Sehun couldn’t be blamed for the secrets Luhan had tried to keep.
Words started to form on the paper as the boy held the black ink pen in a shaky hand. He zoned out, not really paying attention to his scruffy handwriting and the small smudges on the paper as the ball point glided over the colourless –bar the faded blue lines and red margin– sheets of paper. Lifting the book slightly, Sehun watched silently as Luhan read the words.
I was a patient here five years ago. My ward was close to yours and one day I looked into your room because you looked sad. You said ‘hello’ and I ran away because I couldn’t speak.’
Luhan’s eyes sparkled with something close to sorrow as he pushed himself up to a sitting position. He paused for a moment, staring at the words before a small, weak smile found itself to his face. “Sehun, you didn’t make a plane this time. You should make them all planes so we can fill the sky with them.”
The boy, though not fully understanding, nodded as his eyes flickered down towards the paper. With delicate hands he freed it from its binds, folding strong, straight lines as carefully as possible. He turned the paper mechanism in his hands, studying his handy work before handing the fragile plane to equally as fragile hands.
“Thank you.”

Sehun carried on folding the notes into different sized planes, because although he didn’t know the meaning behind Luhan’s words or how much time was left, he wanted to fill his sky with pretend planes.

He wanted to see Luhan smiling until the bitter end. Until they said ‘goodbye’.

 

--

Oh my god this has 11X the amount of subscribers it has chapters –nerdy moment- Thank you guys so so much!

Taeyeon will probably show up a lot in the next two chapters, which will be based in the hospital. So, considering that’s half the story, I added her to the character list thingy. It makes sense to me. Besides, I like Taeyeon. Who doesn’t like Taeyeon? Taeyeon be the y bomb.
Wait what?
No I honestly apologise for the description of Taeyeon I got a bit out of hand I just. I like Taeyeon.

I swear this is the only time I’ve rambled in the author’s note in this story. I’ll try not to do it again :P

This chapter was a bit bigger than I thought it would be so it ended up taking a bit longer to write.

 

 

Before I forget, follow my twitter which I've become slightly more active on and shall try to keep updated on when I'll be submitting new chapters to my fanfiction as well as original work.