Fly

Paper Plane

 

Luhan was sick, both mentally and physically.
He was sick of being confined in the hospital walls. He was sick of the bright room, the white sheets of his bed and the blank walls. He was sick of the equipment that was hooked up to his arm and the beeping that came with it. He was sick of the small, wooden table that sat beside his bed, often accompanied with bright flowers that his mother would leave when she wasn’t busy at work.
Most importantly, he was sick of being alone.
Often, the young adult would find himself wondering over towards the glass windows, pushing the pale, cream curtains aside as he stood gazing out at the world. He wondered what life was like out there, beyond the fence that separated the hospital from the real world. He thought for hours, trying to imagine what it was like to feel the wind against his skin and the rays of a natural light instead of the artificial one that hung above his head.
It was with this thought that Luhan backed away from the window, an idea suddenly forming and taking control of him.
As he pulled on a set of fresh clothes, he pondered over why it had taken him ten years to finally decide on escaping the hospital, even if it was only for an hour. He unhooked his arm from the drip and left it standing by his bed as he searched for something to cover his arms. Luhan quickly settled for the dark red jacket that rested over the back of a not so comfortable chair that would usually be occupied by a visitor. It had been a while since the young adult had seen anyone sit in that chair, but he had slowly become used to the lonely feeling the room emitted.

Luhan quickly walked out of the hospital. Well, as quickly as his frail legs would allow him to.
Having only walked to and from his window, the small journey to the front of the hospital caught up with him. It was made even longer when he found himself lost among the long, white hallways. The only things guiding Luhan were the pictures and signs that were scattered around the place, often creating more confusion as he swore that he had already passed most of them.
So you can imagine why, when he approached the wide, glass doors, he was already exhausted and questioning the idea he had planned out.
It only made it worse when he stepped out of the hospital. Overwhelmed with the noise and bright lights, the hospital bound patient almost turned around to flee. Too scared to leave the space the hospital took, he wondered towards the metal grating fence that separated the outside world from the hospital itself. Clinging to it to keep him on his feet, Luhan walked along it. He had no idea why the fence stretched so far away from the hospital itself, or where he was going. All he knew was that the further he walked, the more the outside world change. Shops changed to houses, which changed to schools, which changed back to shops. Each area was different, and Luhan wondered why there was so much space that had just been left, boarded off by the metal fence.

Luhan slowly came to a stop as he spotted a younger boy sitting on the other side of the metal fence. Upon hearing Luhan’s footsteps, the boy turned around, shocked. He watched Luhan approach, making no sound or movements, but simply watching.
Luhan felt uneasy, awkward. He had never talked to a stranger before, and the way the light brown haired boy watched him made him feel on edge. He noticed how pale his skin was compared to the boy’s, and it wasn’t as though the stranger’s skin was dark. Luhan looked weak and frail compared to the boy, and he hated how different he was.
He envied the boy on the other side of the metal grating.
Voice cracking slightly, Luhan spoke. “Hello?”
However, the boy on the other side of the fence stayed silent. He sat, staring at Luhan who awkwardly stood, wondering what could have caused the lack of reaction. When the stranger stood and walked away without a word, Luhan looked towards the ground dejectedly. He wondered if the boy had simply been too shy to talk, or if it was just that he was ignorant.
Now, with little opinion of the outside world, Luhan walked back towards the hospital in silence. He examined his frail body, mentally arguing with himself over small things.
For the longest of time, he had been cooped up inside the hospital, and now that he had finally taken a step beyond the sterilised world, he was scared and defeated. Luhan had never known how close he was to slipping away, but now that he had seen the stranger, he noticed the small things. The evidence of his illness.


When Luhan found himself walking besides the same metal fence the next day, he wondered what had caused him to come back. There had been nothing there to excite him, and yet there he was, following the stretched out metal that guided him to the exact same spot he stopped at the day before.
When Luhan noticed the same boy, he thought of just walking past. But when the boy stood facing him, a note book in hand, Luhan forced himself to stop.
He stood and watched as the boy wrote, wondering what the stranger was doing when he ripped the paper from its confines and crafted a messy paper plane. Luhan almost didn’t have time to react when the boy threw the paper over the tall fence. Startled, Luhan fell back to catch the note and silently read the messy hand writing. ‘Hello.
Confused, the young male looked into the boy’s eyes, searching for something that would give him an answer to the question that hadn’t formed. Luhan didn’t know what he wanted to ask, he just knew that there was something that left him confused. “Hello.”
The boy smiled for reasons Luhan didn’t understand, and he watched as the boy followed his earlier routine. This time, however, he was ready to catch the flying paper. ‘I’m Sehun, what’s your name?
Luhan looked up and answered with little hesitation. “Luhan.”
When the boy started scribbling more words down, the young adult stopped him. “Why don’t you talk?”
Sehun looked up, surprised. He glanced to the paper in his hands and then back up at Luhan before he crossed his previously written down words and wrote new ones. Luhan caught this paper plane expertly, slightly excited for the stranger’s reply. ‘I can’t. I don’t know how.

 

 

--

I got this out pretty quick, I guess xD
Thank you to everyone who has subscribed! I hope I don’t let you down!