Sweet Melody

Reincarnation

**The instrument the lady is playing is called the Haegeum, in the pic!**


-Year 2011-

Yi Jeong breathed in the fresh, early-morning air as he rode his bike down the road. Nothing is more beautiful than a mid-September morning with the trees covered with dew and the color of the leaves orange, red, and yellow with a tint of green. This is Korea.

 

He then entered a large building, which is his school and parked his bike. Hundreds of students were swiftly passing by trying to get to class. Within those students were Ga Eul who was trying hard to fit in and not get noticed. Her head was down as she tried to walk past a large crowd of students.

 

“Yi Jeong Oppa!” a crowd of girls screamed as they waved at him. He waved back politely, and walked away. But as usual, they followed him. In the midst of the large group of girls, a tall, pretty-looking one came up to him with a smirk.

 

“Remember me?” she asks with a tone of confidence in her voice. All of the girls behind her gasped.

 

“No.” Yi Jeong looked at her from head to toe.

 

“You do! I was in your class in high school!” the girl exclaimed “I'm Kim Mi Young!”

 

“And? What is so special about that, Barbie doll?” Yi Jeong smirked.

 

“What?” Mi Young glares at him

 

“That nose, eyes, and chin. All bought? Am I wrong?”

 

“YAH!” Her eyes were b of tears.

 

“I should go, now. Bye, ladies.” He winked at them, causing some to sigh.

 

The school bell rang loudly, which meant class had started. Some of the students literally ran into the door trying not to be late for Mr. Han's class. But Ga Eul, stuck in the traffic of students is officially late. She checked her watch.

 

“Oh, no. I'm late!” Ga Eul mumbled. The crowd died out, each and every one of them are in their own classes. She was the only one in the hallway. Wait, no. Yi Jeong comes through the door, whistling as if nothing is wrong. He stops to look a Ga Eul and smiles.

 

“Aren't we late? Let's go.” He grabs her wrist as they both abruptly enter the classroom. Mr. Han, their teacher looked at them unhappily.

 

“Ah. Late for class, aren't we Mr. So and Ms. Chu?” Mr. Han asks, with a blunt tone.

 

“Sorry. We had a short chat about something.” Yi Jeong started to say. Ga Eul looked at him blankly. What chat? All he said was that they were late.

 

“About what? I hope it is something worth enough to be late for my class.”

 

“It is.” Yi Jeong looked worried for a split second. “She... She...”

 

“You mean Ga Eul?”

 

“Ah. Yes. Ga Eul-sshi and I were talking about a project,” there was a sparkling glint in his eyes “that we should research more about the Joseon Dynasty and find something interesting to show at the Woo Sung Museum! I'm sure my Grandfather would approve of it.”

 

“Hm, is that so?” Mr. Han looked amused “Ga Eul-sshi, is that why you were late for my class too?” Half of the girls in the class were glaring at her. Ga Eul gulped and wiped the beads of sweat on her forehead.

 

“Uh-uh-ye-yes.” Ga Eul weakly smiled.

 

“Okay. Fine. I'll let you go this time! But come to me after class so we can talk more about your so-called project...” Mr. Han smirked “Ah. And would you please let go of each other's hands?” Yi Jeong and Ga Eul looked down to see he was still holding onto her wrist. They immediately let go, causing some of the students to snicker. Red as a tomato, Ga Eul sat down in the back and Yi Jeong followed her.

 

“Okay. Now, shall we begin? Sorry for the interruption, class!” Mr. Han cleared his throat. “Now at the University of Korean Ancient History, we are going to learn how to play some of the musical instruments our ancestors used back then.” He paused and looked around. In the meanwhile, Ga Eul turned to look at Yi Jeong.

 

“What are you doing here next to me? I'm embarrassed enough as it is!” Ga Eul whispered

 

“There is no other seat to sit in.” Yi Jeong whispered back. Ga Eul looked around to see that every seat in the classroom was filled. Huh.

 

“Ah! There it is!” Mr. Han went over to the corner of the classroom, where the instrument, the Gayageum and the Haegeum were resting.

 

“These instruments were played by people back in Ancient times. And still played by people today! Anybody play this unique instrument?” Mr. Han smiled. “Anyone play the Haeguem?” Ga Eul raised her hand and then quickly put it down.

 

“Ah! Ga Eul! Come up and show us how this ancient instrument still produce lovely, sweet music!” Mr. Han sighed dramatically. Ga Eul barely nodded and slowly made her way to the front of the class. With every single pair of eyes staring at her, she felt her sweat trickling down her neck. Boy, she hated unwanted attention.

 

.“Here is the Haegeum!” Mr. Han showed his perfect, white teeth. “Now, show us your magic!” Ga Eul placed the Haeguem on her lap as she was sitting criss-crossed on the floor. She held onto the bow with a tight grip. With a deep breath, she started playing a soft, happy melody that had a tint of sadness as well. Everyone listened quietly to the music, being mesmerized by the beauty of the Haegeum and the person playing it. Even Mr. Han just stood there, with his eyes closed, letting the music flow into his ears. Except for Yi Jeong. He was sitting there, thinking.

 

“Where have I heard this song, before?” Yi Jeong wondered as he scratched his head. It was at the tip of his tongue. He heard it before, he knew he did. But where? How? The song ended and everyone applauded.

 

“Magnificent! What talent you have there!” Mr. Han exclaimed “The music! Was wonderful! May I ask what it is called?”

 

Ga Eul explained “There is no specific name for this song. This melody had been passed down to my family for generations. Everyone in my family knows how to play it! It was said that one of my ancestors created this music, but it was never well-known.”

 

“Ah! I see! Thank you for explaining!” Mr. Han clapped his hands. “Now, students! Wrap it up! Class is almost over!” The bell rang.

 

“Oh! Yi Jeong! And Ga Eul! I would like to speak to you, now!”

 

-Joseon Dynasty- (Not a specific year, sorry!)

 

Ga Eul, finally had the time to rest. She sat beside a small river, holding her Haegeum. After listening to the bird's whistling, she had an idea for a song. As she started playing the Haegeum, a wonderful melody was played. With the sound of the flowing stream, the bird's whistling, and the melody of the Haegeum, it was the most magnificent sound anyone ever heard. Well, that was how Prince Yi Jeong felt. He was there, hiding behind a large tree with all of his servants, watching and listening. He was captivated by the music and of course, her beauty. She stopped playing and started to take the clothes out of a large basket to wash it.

 

“Let me help you with that.” Prince Yi Jeong squatted beside her and started to roll up his sleeves. Ga Eul was surprised by a deep voice behind her because she thought she was alone.

 

“Oh no, Prince Yi Jeong! You musn't!” Ga Eul exclaimed “It is my job, not yours!” She immediately stood up to bow.

 

“Relax, I can do it. Just because I'm a royal, doesn't mean I can't do anything but boss people around.” Prince Yi Jeong smirked as he grabbed a few clothes and dunked them into the water.

 

“Prince Yi Jeong...” One of the servants quietly said, “are you sure you want to--”

 

“RELAX! I'm fine! Leave!” Prince Yi Jeong started to shoo away the servants “Shoo! I'll be fine!”

 

“But Pri-”

 

“LEAVE!” The servants looked a little hesitant but left anyway. Yi Jeong dunked some more clothes into the water.

 

“So, you come here often?” Prince Yi Jeong asked

 

“Yes, it is my job to clean the dirty laundry.” Ga Eul replied

 

“I always visit this forest because it is so beautiful and gives me time to think.” He said out of the blue.

 

“I love it here, so I always play the Haegeum for the birds.” Ga Eul sighed

 

“I heard.”

 

“Oh, you did, sir?”

 

“I thought it was so beautiful, are you a musician?”

 

“Oh no! I'm just a servant in the Royal Palace.” Ga Eul turned a little red from the nice compliment. She was not used to compliments.

 

“My father and the Crown Prince is at a meeting right now, so I'm reading some books.” Prince Yi Jeong chuckled “I brought them with me, want to take a look?”

 

“Oh sure!” Yi Jeong showed her some of his books. He opened one of them up. Ga Eul peered over in curiousity.

 

“Ah, so this story is about a Lotus flower?” Ga Eul asked

 

“How do you know?” Prince Yi Jeong asks, surprised “Servants don't know how to read!”

 

“I learned it from my father.” Ga Eul covered . Oops. She said too much already.

 

“What a smart father you have.” He nodded and turned back to the books.

 

“Please don't tell anyone about my father!” Ga Eul begged, almost in tears.

 

“Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. Hey, aren't we friends, now, kinda?” He held out his hand for her to shake.

 

“I can't touch a royal--”

 

“Relax. It's clean.” He laughed. They shook hands. A few seconds later, a servant came running toward Prince Yi Jeong.

 

“Prince Yi Jeong!” the servant wheezed “We need you to go back to the Royal Palace immediately! The King wants to talk to you!”

 

Author's note: So this chapter is how the Ancient Yi Jeong and Ga Eul met and how the MODERN Yi Jeong and Ga Eul met. Sorry if it is a little boring, I had to really explain everything so you'll understand later on. The story WILL GET EXCITING within the next few chapters! (I promise you!) Everything falls into place! Please subscribe and comment on what you think below! I will update in about a week. Happy Reading!