The Autumn Scar

Reincarnation

 

This is picture I have edited! Sorry it is so bad, I don't have cool photoshopping programs or anything like that.

 

-2011-

Ga Eul stayed in the library for the next few hours, researching. She surprisingly had a lot of time today to work on the project.

 

“Great. I'm doing the work!” Ga Eul groaned. She took out a notebook and started scribbling some basic information about the Joseon Dynasty. She clicked, scrolled down, and then wrote down a few words.

 

Two hours later, Ga Eul came across a strange, unknown website. The url was a little weird considering it was xxx.YiJeong/GaEul.1425. Ga Eul wrote the url down in her notebook.

 

“Hm, let's see if there is anything important for me to write down.” Ga Eul clicked on the link. It immediately opened up a page that had a large, blinking title that says: ALL ABOUT KING YI JEONG.

 

“This seems... promising.” Ga Eul thought as she clicked one of the links on the site. There it opened up another window that says: CURSE OF THE AUTUMN SCAR. As she scrolled down, she came across a large paragraph that explains the curse.

 

~“There is an old legend that anybody who was named after the terrible and ferocious King Yi Jeong would be cursed. Anybody who bore his name will spend the rest of his life loveless and lonely. If he were lucky enough to love, he will get heartbroken. He will never receive love from anybody nor he will give love. Rumor has it that even after he dies, he will wander around the earth whispering his lover's name to the wolves causing them to howl of pain and loneliness whenever there is a full moon. The local people were frightened. Mothers who named their children after King didn't even dare to name their son 'Yi Jeong' fearing he might bear the curse of living a depressing life. However, that is only a legend. It isn't really the name that had the curse. The real curse is that anybody who was born with Autumn Scar will have the same fate as the King. The Scar, or birthmark is a shape of a leaf that turns gold when it is Autumn.”~

 

“Oh, what an interesting legend.” She had heard this before. Not the entire thing, especially about the Autumn Scar but everyone knew it was bad luck to name their son 'Yi Jeong'. So she thought it was always strange to have Yi Jeong be named... Yi Jeong. At the bottom of the page was a picture of a small leaf. It was reddish-brown that had a unique shape.

 

“It's pretty...” Ga Eul touched the computer screen with her finger. Then all of the sudden the leaf turned golden. Ga Eul's eyes widen as the golden leaf got brighter and brighter. Then BOOM. The computer shut off by itself and the screen is blank.

 

~~

 

Yi Jeong arrived at the museum with a slightly troubled expression on his face. He doesn't know what his Grandfather is up to, and he wasn't ready to find out. Yi Jeong sighed as he entered the building.

 

“My Grandfather is expecting me here.” Yi Jeong told the employees. They all nodded and let him go his own way. Yi Jeong entered a large hallway and knocked on a door.

 

“Come in.” An old, hoarse voice said. Yi Jeong opened the door to find his Grandfather sitting in a black leather chair, smoking a cigar.

 

“What is it, Grandfather?” Yi Jeong asks as he sat down on a sofa next to him.

 

“I have finally made a decision.” Yi Jeong's Grandfather cleared his throat and threw out the cigar he was holding.

 

“Decision?”

 

“Your older brother Il Hyun does not want to take over this museum. He wants to become a Potter, just like your father.” His Grandfather shook his head. “What a shame, what a shame.”

 

“He does not?” Yi Jeong lightened up. This is what his Grandfather wanted to talk about?

 

“That's why I want YOU to take over.” The Grandfather put his hand on Yi Jeong's shoulder. “After you finish college, I want you to learn about everything in this museum to prepare. You should know how to handle everything, even when there is a crisis involved.” Yi Jeong gulped. Taking over the museum?! That's going to take a lot of responsibility!

 

“Me? Take over?” Yi Jeong pointed at himself.

 

“Yes you! I trust you as my grandson that you will do well. You are like me, who have a love of history and presenting it to other people. This museum is full of ancient artifacts presented everyday.” Yi Jeong perked up at the word “presented”.

 

“Uh, Grandfather?”

 

“Yes?”

 

“I have a few questions to ask.”

 

“Ok. Shoot.” His Grandfather took out another cigar and started to light it up.

 

“Why was I named after King Yi Jeong? Was there a specific reason why?” His Grandfather insisted his name should be 'Yi Jeong' the minute he was born even though his parents were against it. His mother was scared whether Yi Jeong might bear the curse of King Yi Jeong who led a very depressing life.

 

“Hm...” His Grandfather pondered on for a while before he said any answer.

 

“You were destined to have his name. No, you were destined to be him.”

 

“Wha-what? I don't understand, I don't.” His Grandfather coughed uncomfortably, deciding whether he should say anything or not. He took a deep breath before talking.

 

“King Yi Jeong came to me in a dream the day before you were born. He said you were destined to have his name and have a similar fate. But, that could all be changed when you meet someone. The King said he had been looking for this person for centuries.” Yi Jeong stayed quiet.

 

“That birthmark? The one shaped like a leaf behind your ear? That's a curse that won't be lifted until you find that person. You know how it turns golden during Autumn only? It's called the Autumn Scar and it gives you a clue to who the person is.” Yi Jeong touched the Autumn Scar. He had always wondered about this birthmark and how unique it looked.

 

“So, why didn't you tell me this before?” Yi Jeong suddenly got angry. Why was he telling him this now?

 

“I had to wait for you to ask me.” Yi Jeong's Grandfather blew smoke rings while twirling the cigar in his hand. “I had to wait for the right time. I was told to do that.”

 

“And why would you believe such a bizarre dream?”

 

“Because...” His Grandfather paused, as he was trying to think of the right words to say. “There is this diary that had been kept a secret from the Media and other Historians.” He went over to the desk and opened a drawer. He took out an old, dusty box that was locked. He unlocked it with a rusty old key and opened it up.

 

“This is a copy of the diary of King Yi Jeong's. The real one is so old, it is kept someplace where it can be preserved and be safe. No one can find out about this so I even keep the copied one under lock and key.” He chuckles. “You know why Historians can't figure out King Yi Jeong? Because the answers are hidden in this diary. Even if you have access to this diary and read it, you still can't find out. It's almost like a secret puzzle.”

 

“All you have to do is look for this person...” His Grandfather took it out and opened up a page. There was a sketch of a woman's profile. Her face was perfectly defined and the nose is pointy and dainty. She was smiling, but her eyes were sad. Her long, luschious braided hair was black with strands of brown and golden. Yi Jeong squinted as he looked closer at it. “Then you'll have all the answers and be free of the curse forever.”

 

Author's Note: If you are curious about the photo, then let me explain some things! Do you see Yi Jeong (Kim Bum) with a golden (more like yellow, LOL) leaf there? In the story, it is really behind his ear and hidden by his hair but I had to show you guys what it was like! So, there are some things I wrote on the picture that you probably can't read too well. On the top right, there is a short sentence that says: "It has been hundreds of years, but I am still in love with you." Aw! That's what King Yi Jeong says! :P And the bottom left it says: "Autumn, my love. I know I am going to find you someday. I want to see your pretty face and listen to your beautiful melody. Until then, my soul won't rest." Okay? Have fun reading! Update in a few days! :) This time I am going write about back then! This whole chapter was in the present!