An Arranged Marriage

Reincarnation

 

The air was warm and sweet and the sky is a soft blue with no clouds hovering. The bright, luminescent sun shone down upon the Palace during the Joseon Dynasty. The Palace was magnificent, with tiny details in the designs and Chinese Characters engraved on the walls. Over in the distance, you could see a small lake with a old, large tree right next to it, it's branches hung low. The bees hummed, and the birds chirped happily. Nothing could go wrong today.

 

“I have called for an emergency meeting!” His Majesty cleared his throat. He looked at the important Officials to make sure they were all paying attention to him. Everyone looked back at him with round, curious eyes. The King rarely ever calls for an emergency meeting. Unless some kind of war is happening. Or a coup d'état is occuring. The air was filled with tension and nervousness.

 

“I have decided that...” His Majesty peered over to his right, where the Crown Prince was sitting. “That the Crown Prince shall get married and become King.” Everyone gasped. The Crown Prince... marrying now?! He had barely learned anything and is not fit to be married or to be King!

 

“I have arranged a perfect marriage for him with one of the Scholar's daughters, Cheon Myung.” The Government Officials quietly whispers to one another, some slightly shaking their heads in disapproval. The King was somehow right and wrong. The Crown Prince was twenty-one years which is already past the age of marriage already, so he should as soon as possible. But, the Crown Prince seemed to lack much as a King. With no conscience and responsibility, the Crown Prince had been getting whatever he wanted as long as anyone could remember. He barely studied, did not attend meetings, (except for today) and tried to sneak out of the Palace for who knows how many times.

 

The Crown Prince stood up abruptly. “NO! I do not want to!” Everyone looked at him in shock.

 

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING? SIT DOWN NOW!” The King ordered

 

“No.”

 

“YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO FOLLOW MY ORDERS! THIS IS WHAT I WANT, THIS IS YOUR DESTINY, CROWN PRINCE!” His Majesty was literally red in the face.

 

“Your Majesty, please calm down. Getting stressed out isn't well for your already poor health.” The Chief of Staff quietly said, with his head down.

 

“Poor Health, Your Majesty?” the Prime Minister asked, with his hands on his hips. The King coughed uncomfortably.

 

“Is that why you were in such a hurry to marry off the Crown Prince?” another Official asked. The whole room was excitedly buzzing.

 

“Alright! ENOUGH!” The King shouted “Yes, my condition has not been very good lately.” He then paused and his beard.

 

“It is about TIME the Crown Prince marry... he is way too old!” The King croaked. Everyone gasped as the King choked, coughed, and wheezed.

 

“But, I'm not ready to get married! Or become King!” The Crown Prince cried “Why can't Prince Yi Jeong do it?! He's better at everything than me, anyways! Pick him!” His Majesty, for the first time, was at a loss of words.

 

“Prince Yi Jeong? My second son?” He wondered and then smiled. Maybe. Maybe this could work.

 

Author's Note: This first chapter is just an introduction to the story so I haven't even introduced the main characters yet!  :P I will MAKE SURE I update in a couple of days, and don't worry the story is VERY INTERESTING! (So Hang On!) If those of you that do not know, this takes place during the Joseon Dynasty and I will reveal around what time period too, later on... (Did you know there was a Prince Yi Jeong long time ago?!) Anyways, this event of what I just wrote did not really take place, so don't worry ! You don't have to know too much about Korean History to read this! :P Although it would be helpful and Korea's history is far more interesting than what I learn in school. ;) Thank you for waiting for so long! I promise, I promise it will get better! And please support my other fan fic, The Past, Present, and the Future too^^ HAPPY READING!

P.S. The Crown Prince letting his younger brother become King is a similar event to how King Sejong became King. Sejong was a far better king than his older brother and people were glad to have him on the throne for he was a very smart man. He even created the Korean written language! :D