Drawbacks II

Thirst

 

 

 

CHAPTER EIGHT

Drawbacks II

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

A flash of lightning brightened the night sky and allowed the little boy standing just outside his parents' bedroom to see three shadows inside, one fallen, the other kneeling as if begging and the last standing arrogantly. The boy recognized the first one to be his mother, the woman he had treasured all his life, gasping a little as he stared at her bloodshot eyes. His eyes moved to the second figure, his father, who looked forlorn as he kneels before a tall figure. The boy didn't have enough time to look at the last figure before in front of his eyes, the father he so adored was shot in the head, falling on the carpeted floor into awkward angles.

This time he gasped aloud, panting, while silent tears flow down his cheeks to the parquet flooring, knowing that a little noise would make the man who killed his family come after him.

Slowly, with his eyes wide in fear, the boy his heels and attempted to run. But clumsy as he is, he tripped and landed on the floor with a loud thud. Not long after, footsteps echoed on the wooden floor, the sound bringing the boy to absolute stillness. When the footsteps stopped, he looked over his shoulder and stared in shock at the blood-covered figure looming over him before letting out a piercing scream.

 

 

 

"Lonely without having a news to deliver to Jonghun?"

Pouting, Choi Minhwan turned his head to look at Lee Taemin and scowled after seeing the teasing look on his friend's face.

"It would be better if you'll not tease me," he said sullenly, before looking back outside the window, where a few minutes ago, a tall figure was leaning against a tree. Sighing, he grabbed his books and stood from his seat.

"Hey, I was just teasing," Taemin said with a worried frown. "Anyway, you could tell him his grandfather's back or something. Why are you even that desperate to get close to him?"

Minhwan shrugged. His friend would never understand.

 

 

Hongki's eyes opened to the familiar ceiling of their university's infirmary. For a moment he just laid on the bed dazedly before he noticed something move from the corner of his eyes. In the corner of the room stood Jonghun, blank jet black eyes on him. Hongki sat up and opened his mouth to ask Jonghun what he was doing here when his head ached. His hand raised to cup his forehead and his eyes widened when he felt not only his head ache. A dull, stinging pain on his neck caused him to remember the earlier events.

His eyes immediately flew to Jonghun's direction. "You bit me," he said quietly, both hands on his neck which he noticed were wrapped with a white bandage. Jonghun looked at Hongki's hands and looked away.

"I did," was the vampire's silent reply.

Monster!

Hongki's eyes widened at his thoughts. Mentally, he shook his head and looked at Jonghun's form. The vampire stood at the corner of the infirmary like a statue, his pale face betraying no emotions. But Hongki knows Jonghun better than anyone. Discomfort radiates from the vampire's body despite looking cool and composed.

That moment Hongki regretted his harsh words. He knew Jonghun would feel guilty the instant those words come out of his mouth and yet he blurted them out unthinkingly.

"Jonghun," he called and smiled a little when Jonghun stubbornly refused to meet his eyes. "Jonghun," he called louder this time.

"What?"

Hongki chuckled at the arrogance in the vampire's tone. But his smile vanished when he remembered his harshness. Looking down on the bed, Hongki silently apologized, "Sorry, Jonghun. I shouldn't have said that."

"You're not wrong you know," Jonghun replied, eyes still averted. "It's not like it's not true that we drink your blood."

"I know. But I shouldn't have said that still. I was just mad at myself," Hongki explained. "I was mad because I felt helpless."

In a second, Jonghun was suddenly beside him on the bed. "You're not helpless," the vampire whispered. "I'm the one to be blamed for that."

A small smile formed on Hongki's lips. His hand rose to touch Jonghun's face. "You haven't changed pureblood."

Jonghun instinctively leaned his face closer to Hongki's touch and turned his head to kiss Hongki's hand. "I love you," he whispered.

Dropping his hand, Hongki sighed. "Yep. Haven't changed."

Jonghun smiled at that making him smile back. Hongki let out a breath before making his request, "I want to see Jaejin." Hongki watched as slowly, Jonghun's smile fade. "Why?" he asked, noticing the troubled look in the pureblood's expression.

"He, Jaejin, he's different," Jonghun replied sullenly while looking on the white bed sheet beneath his palms.

Ignoring the solemn tone of the vampire, Hongki chuckled lightly. "Of course he has changed, ten years have passed. It would be weird if he's still so small. And," Hongki paused. "He's a vampire."

Hongki noticed Jonghun's shoulder stiffen at the last word. The vampire looked up and stared in his eyes. "You don't understand."

"Then make me understand."

Sighing, Jonghun began explaining. "Ten years ago, after he awakens, Jaejin couldn't speak properly except that he keeps saying 'blood' with his eyes huge and scared."

At that, Hongki gritted his teeth. If he had been there he could have comforted his brother. He was the one to blame for running. If Jaejin hates him now it would be his fault.

Jonghun continued speaking, "I asked him what happened but he just said 'little' and 'blood'. He cringes whenever someone gets close. And weird enough, he seems scared of humans in particular more than vampires."

"Humans?" Hongki interrupted, finding the story odd. "Did he say who killed our parents?" he asked eagerly.

But Jonghun shook his head no. "He can't talk. For one year he was always screaming in his bedroom, allowing no one to enter. And since he was a vampire then, he was strong and you see, Jaejin is talented."

Ah, now Hongki understands. His brother was brought to the Coven not to be eaten but because he is gifted. Now he really feels the guilt twisting in his stomach. In a low voice he urged Jonghun to continue although he was still puzzled in Jaejin's admittance to the Coven since it was limited to purebloods and nobles.

"At that moment, Heechul decided to have his memory altered. But Seunghyun erased them. He couldn't alter Jaejin's memory without distorting his reality. And I was afraid that when you return, he would think of you not in the same way as before."

"So he does not remember me?" Hongki asked bitterly.

"He knows you," Jonghun replied quickly. "I asked for him to remember his memory of you. And he did remember you a little. But he doesn't know you much aside from the fact that you're siblings."

"I see," Hongki looked up. "He didn't try to remember his memory from back then?"

"He tried-- but Seunghyun, that man is stubborn. He doesn't want Jaejin to remember although when Jaejin asked for it, he did try returning your brother's memory. But it was hazy and Jaejin kept on screaming 'blood' again so..." Jonghun trailed off.

"So Seunghyun took it back," Hongki finished where Jonghun left off. "Still no clue, huh? As to who killed my parents?"

"I'm sorry, Hongki," Jonghun apologized.

"No, it's okay. Whoever it was, I'll find him," Hongki reassured with confidence in his voice. "Right now, I just want to see Jaejin."

Jonghun smiled a little. "Sure. I'm sure he'll be happy to see his brother finally."

"I was the one who killed your family..."

Hongki gasped and looked around the room. He was sure he heard a voice. He was sure of it.

"Hongki?" Jonghun asked, a worried frown on his pale handsome face.

"I heard someone saying he killed my family, I swear I'm not hallucinating," Hongki said frantically, trying to search his memory.

"Who?"

"I don't know!" Hongki yelled, clutching his head. "I don't know."

"Could it be memory loss?" Jonghun asked. "Whenever Seunghyun erases one's memory, there's always something missing when he returns them."

" that vampire!" Hongki cursed while trying to calm himself. "I met him then," he looked up at Jonghun helplessly. "If it’s from my memory then I met my family's killer, Jonghun!"

Jonghun wrapped his arms around Hongki's smaller form and brought the human closer. "I'm sorry I couldn't be of help," the vampire whispered softly, cursing Seunghyun silently.

"I'll find him, Jonghun," Hongki whispered, hands desperately clinging at Jonghun's shirt. "I'll find him."

"Of course you will," Jonghun replied before cupping Hongki's face. "We will find him." There was an ultimatum in Jonghun's voice before he sealed Hongki's lips with his.

 

 

"Bored?" Kim Heechul asked the older man sitting on the two-seater couch inside his office, the older man being Jonghun's grandfather. Choi Jongshin had said that he has an important information to tell Jonghun but the latter, excessively stubborn as he is, refused to meet his own grandfather.

He's doing it again, Heechul thought. Jonghun has a hobby of running from his problems. Not that he mind since the boy seems to run to his side whenever trouble arrives but Heechul wished Jonghun would face the old man this time. He couldn't wait to see the expression that handsome face of Jonghun would make the moment he hears the delightful news that his beloved human's family killed his father.

It would be very interesting indeed.

"While it is true that I am bored, I can see you've found something that captures your interest, Heechul," Choi Jongshin said in that deep voice of his, noting the wild excitement in the other vampire's eyes.

"Oh, yes," Heechul agreed cheerfully. "I rather developed a fascination in your grandson Choi Jongshin."

Jonghun's grandfather sighed. "I wish you would leave him alone. You spoil Jonghun too much."

Kim Heechul dropped his gaze and chuckled deeply. "Oh I do spoil Jonghun," he said in a low, seductive voice as he slowly raised his bright crimson eyes to the older man. "I spoil him a lot," he whispered meaningfully, enjoying the obvious discomfort in the older man's expression.

"You can't mean...?"

A chuckle escaped Heechul's lips. "Ah, old man, I really love teasing you," he said cheerfully.

Relief replaced the rather awkward atmosphere. "Heechul, you haven't changed," Choi Jongshin said.

Grinning, Heechul stood from his swivel chair and sat on the mahogany desk in front of it. "Although we did have ," he said bluntly, bursting into laughter when the older man made a face.

"Heechul!"

"Ah, forgive my behavior. I should not have divulged such personal information," Heechul apologized, grinning.

At that moment, the door opened and a tall, slim figure bustled in. A smile formed in Heechul's lips before turning to greet the man cheerfully, "How are you Minho?"

The tall man glared at the pureblood before bowing to Choi Jonghshin. "I deeply apologize sir, but your grandson stubbornly refused to come with us."

"Ah," Heechul said. "I presume he's with that human?"

"Human?" Choi Jongshin interrupted.

A wicked grin formed on Heechul's lips as he slowly turned to the older man. "Jonghun is currently fixated on a human named, ugh, what was it?" the pureblood pretended to search his memory, savoring the frown on the older man's face. "Ah, it was Lee Hongki," he said finally, his eyes turning a deep crimson when he saw the old man's face.

The name made Choi Jongshin's expression deadly and Heechul enjoyed it immensely. "That vampire hunter's son?" The older man asked in his low, lethal tone.

"Yes," Heechul said excitedly. "The son of your son's killer."

Kim Heechul watched in delight when Choi Jongshin violently stood from his seat and walked to the door, surprising the servants outside the office.

Interesting indeed.

 

 

"Jaejin, someone's looking for you," called Kim Kibum, most commonly known as Key, while standing impatiently at the doorway of Lee Jaejin's room at the famous Twilight Mansion, the home to Coven's headquarters in Seoul.

The called vampire, Jaejin, frowned at Key's intrusion before yawning and stretching lazily on his bed. He was about to sit up when his eyes noticed movement. Immediately, his eyes landed on a distantly familiar face.

"Hongki," he whispered as his eyes slowly went up and down his brother's figure. "How...?"

Just as he was about to ask how a human entered the Mansion, Jonghun appeared beside Hongki and frowned at his lazing form.

"It's noon, Jin," Jonghun said meaningfully before turning to Hongki. And Jaejin didn't fail to notice the softening of the pureblood's expression when he turned to the human. "I'll leave you two but call me when..."

"I know," Hongki replied quietly.

After Jonghun left, Jaejin was suddenly beside Hongki, the latter trapped in his younger brother's arms. "I see," Jaejin whispered to Hongki's ear. "You do smell similarly to me."

"Jaejin," Hongki swallowed, feeling as if his throat was blocked by something big.

Jaejin's right hand rose to grasp a full of Hongki's hair and turned to the human's face to his taller frame. "Don't be mistaken. I am not the Jaejin ten years ago."

Sighing, Hongki pried his brother's hand from his hair and stepped back. "I know that. I just want to see you."

At that, Jaejin's expression softened and to avoid the human seeing his gentler face, he walked to his bed and sat. "You came here to know who killed your parents, right?" Jaejin asked.

"They're your parents too," Hongki corrected. "But no, I already am informed that you remember nothing from that day. I told you, I just want to see you."

A sarcastic smile formed in Jaejin's lips. "You saw me, now what?"

"Now I want to thank Jonghun because he let you grow this tall," Hongki replied while wearing a small smile.

"Do you know how humans become vampires, Hongki?" Jaejin asked out of the blue.

Hongki blinked. "You bite them?"

The reply caused Jaejin to throw fits of laughter. "You are too innocent for one who works at the Association."

"I'm not really a regular employee there," Hongki explained. "I was just working part-time there when I was in high school."

"In Japan, right?"

Nodding, Hongki said yes. Jaejin frowned. "How convenient for you, brother."

The last word was uttered in such a bitter way that Hongki failed to conceal the grimace that formed in his mouth. Jaejin grinned wickedly.

"Did you expect me to be the good boy that I used to be?"

"You're wrong," Hongki said. "You were never a good boy. You tricked our neighbor before by pretending you're a vampire when we were young and scared the out of them."

At the memory, Jaejin's face softened. "I'm sorry for my behavior. I was too anxious to meet you," the vampire admitted. "I wished for you for so long I started to think you might not have existed because you never do appear." Standing from the bed, Jaejin bowed his head. "I'm sorry, brother."

Hongki smiled and walked over to Jaejin, ruffling the latter's soft dark hair before, "Stay like this. I'm not used to seeing you taller than me."

A genuine chuckle escaped Jaejin's lips before he raised his head again. "I'm really sorry I can't remember who killed Mom and Dad. I tried getting them back but can't."

"It's okay," Hongki replied. "I'd still look for whoever it is."

In a gentle voice, Jaejin asked, "Do you hate me now? I'm one of your enemies."

"How can I hate you?" Hongki asked, smiling. "I'm just happy right now. You're alive and well. I assume you like it here?"

"I do," Jaejin agreed.

Hongki hesitated a little before asking, "Jonghun feeds on your blood, right?"

The taller man looked away. "He does. But not to worry," Jaejin looked at his brother assuringly. "It's not a big deal to us vampires." Jaejin paused. "Do you like him?"

"Huh?"

"Jonghun," Jaejin said. "He likes... no-- love you very much. He drinks my blood because... they smell a little like yours." Jaejin's dark eyes shifted its gaze on the bandage wrapped around Hongki's neck.

Unconsciously, Hongki's hand rose to his neck. "Like mine, huh?" He frowned. "I must admit he's not painful to look at," Hongki said in reply to Jaejin's question, referring to Jonghun.

"Hongki..." Jaejin trailed off and lowered his gaze. "I love him and it hurts very much that he admits to everyone how he likes you."

Surprise couldn't even begin to describe what Hongki felt at that moment. He just stood there, staring at his brother. It took a full minute before he could finally respond.

"I'm sorry, Jaejin," Hongki said quietly, a vision of Jonghun's smiling face appearing in his mind. "I might not be sure where our relationship stands, Jonghun and mine, but... I can't give him to you."

Jaejin smiled sadly. "I would've punched you if you said you'll give him to me although, I might just thank you too if you did."

"I made a promise," Hongki whispered. "I made a promise to make him happy and if that's going to be me forever staying beside him, I'll do it. I regretted my action ten years ago and I wouldn't run from him again."

"I understand," Jaejin replied softly. "But I want you to promise me something, brother."

"What is it?"

Jaejin looked straight into Hongki's eyes. "That if you ever make him sad I'll take him from you."

Hongki smiled. "You'll never get him then." His face became serious as he looked back directly at his brother's dark eyes. "Because I'll never let him go."

"Good," Jaejin said before stepping forward to hug his older brother. "I'm so happy to meet you. I thought you were just a dream ten years ago."

Hesitatingly, Hongki wrapped his arms around his younger brother's much slimmer waist. "I am also very happy but you're really thin."

"Am not," Jaejin disagreed smilingly.

But Hongki suddenly remembered Jaejin's bizarre question. "So, Jaejin, why did you ask me how vampires turn humans into one of them?"

The question made Jaejin freeze and Hongki felt it. "I... ten years ago, when I turned into a vampire, Jonghun said he bit me."

"And?" Hongki urged, not wanting the small details to go by.

"And I found out a year after that one turns into a vampire by having their blood out from their body, all of it, then replace it with a vampire's blood."

Hongki pulled away from his brother and noted the worried look on Jaejin's face. "Jaejin, what are you saying?"

"Jonghun said he bit me so I would turn into a vampire. But Heechul said that it's not like that and Jonghun was too young to know how to create another vampire."

Eyes wide, Hongki stared at his brother. "Someone made you a vampire? Someone aside from Jonghun?"

"No," Jaejin said slowly. "Heechul said I was already a vampire. That I... I was born a vampire."

 

~8~

 

Author's Note:

Kill me for not updating this for so long when I said I'll be updating regularly. I humbly seek for your forgiveness and am happy if you are reading this. I was busy the past two months. School, personal problems and all. I'm sorry for breaking my promise and I still hope you'll still read this story. This was rather insufficient, I know, for I didn't update for so long (and this is not really my best one). I'd make it up one day.

I'll see you on that day. I love you all and I am really hoping you'll leave me comments below. I don't mind if you'll send me death threats (I'm just scared I'll get a lot). Thank you and I'll see you very soon!

And I'm sorry if I added too many problems to Jonghun and Hongki. Okay, kill me now but remember, no knives please.