Drawbacks

Thirst
 

 

 

 

CHAPTER SEVEN

Drawbacks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 

The vampire who entered the darkened room frowned when he saw a slender figure silently sitting on a settee, calmly staring out into the space, seemingly thinking deep. Quietly, the vampire walked slowly towards the figure and smiled when he saw who it is.

“Mind if I join you?” he asked softly, knowing the reason behind this figure’s sulky attitude. It always happens. He wondered why it is that this stupid boy wouldn’t turn to someone else when he was being rejected.

The slender figured vampire on the settee startlingly stared up, for his mind was too preoccupied to notice another person’s presence. His dark brown eyes were met with a pair of alarmingly rose colored eyes. “Seunghyun,” he said in greeting, although a part of him never actually wanted to greet this vampire.

Song Seunghyun’s smile widened as he leaned down to press his lips against the other vampire’s soft, pinkish lips. He lifted himself when he heard the other man’s soft gasp. “Dumped again?” he asked teasingly or rather, mockingly, for this boy who sits on the settee has been rejected time and time again but stubbornly refuses to believe so.

Lee Jaejin smirked and pushed Seunghyun’s much leaner shoulder. “Still has no sympathy?” he taunted before, “You returned their memory, huh?”

Standing straight, Seunghyun walked to the bar in the corner of the room and poured himself a glass of wine. He pulled a white circular tablet from his jacket’s inside pocket and dropped it in the wine, lifting the glass afterwards to his lips. “Mmm,” he moaned, shaking his head while staring at the glass. “Still tasteless, I see,” he murmured, referring to the taste of the blood pill.

“Are you avoiding my question?” asked Jaejin, staring glaringly at Seunghyun’s back.

Turning around, Seunghyun raised the glass to Jaejin. “I did. So what?” he asked, lips curling upwards in anger.

The vampire on the settee looked away and said quietly, “You should have told me. I looked like a fool.”

Putting the glass down, Seunghyun smirked to himself. “You always were a fool when it comes to him. You could always replace him, you know,” he told Jaejin in a suggestive voice, watching as the vampire’s slim shoulders go still.

“You could never compare to him,” Jaejin replied, shaking his head a little before turning a pitying gaze at Seunghyun’s direction.

“I know,” the taller vampire said in agreement, propping his elbows on the wooden surface of the bar. “But I want you, and he doesn’t.”

Jaejin gave Seunghyun a sharp glance. “True. But I want him not you,” he retorted harshly.

“Tch,” Seunghyun clicked his tongue and sneered at the other vampires stubbornness. “How could you want him when you know what exactly it is that he wants from you?”

Looking away, Jaejin replied in a detached voice, “It’s called love, something you’ll never know about.”

“Right,” Seunghyun agreed bitterly.

 

 

“Could you move away?” Hongki asked Jonghun quietly as they walked along the corridors of Building 1, painfully aware of the stares the two of them were getting. “I said stand further,” Hongki repeated in a louder voice when Jonghun didn’t seem to hear him.

But the vampire beside him merely shrugged his shoulders, showing his usual indifference. “This is already so wide a distance,” Jonghun casually replied.

Groaning inwardly, Hongki looked down at the two inch of space between their bodies. “This,” he whispered harshly, “is what you call distance? Air couldn’t even pass this narrow space.”

“You’re being unnecessarily noisy this morning,” Jonghun commented, staring straight while walking.

“You--!”

“Hongki!” called someone, interrupting Hongki’s rants.

Behind them was Jung Yonghwa, smiling widely as he ran toward them. “Good morning,” the boy greeted before turning to the man standing beside his friend, the happy curve of his lips fading when he saw it was Choi Jonghun. “You know Hongki?” he asked the vampire bluntly, regretting it afterwards when the vampire’s expression darkened.

“Yes, I do,” Jonghun replied icily, causing the boy to shudder a little. “Now may you please go away?” Jonghun asked in a polite manner, smiling even, as if he hadn’t just dismissed the younger man.

Stepping between the two taller figures, Hongki faced Yonghwa and waved a little to catch the latter’s attention. “Hey, let’s go to our class,” he said to the boy who blinked before nudging an elbow directly aimed at Jonghun’s stomach. He regretted the action though when he was the one who ended up hurt.

“What wrong Hongki?” Yonghwa asked, noticing the slight grimace on Hongki’s face.

Smiling a little, Hongki replied, “Nothing,” before casting a sharp glance at Jonghun’s direction. “Anyway, let’s go,” he urged, already walking away with the boy, not even bothering to look back at Jonghun who stayed in his place.

“Geez, why must you all be so noisy at such an early time?” asked an irritated voice from behind.

“Wonbin,” Jonghun greeted before turning to face his friend who smirked at him.

 “Your grandfather arrived today, I heard,” the taller man stated, watching as Jonghun’s face grew even colder. “Not happy?” he asked, curious after seeing how his friend’s face darkened instead of brightening up which was Jonghun’s usual reaction when he hears his grandfather’s name.

“He did,” Jonghun replied coolly before turning on his heels, not bothering to speak more.

Oh Wonbin shook his head and stared at his friend’s retreating back, knowing that Jonghun’s grandfather’s arrival brings bad news.

 

 

“When did you start being friends with vampires?” Jung Yonghwa asked Hongki, carefully maintaining an attentive face so their Statistics professor who was known to be strict won’t notice them talking under their breath.

Ignoring the question, Hongki continued writing down the formulas written on the white board, not interested in responding to the other boy’s questions.

“Don’t pretend you didn’t hear me,” Yonghwa said in a louder voice, glancing back at his professor’s back before turning his face to Hongki. “I thought you vampire hunters hate vampires.”

Sighing, Hongki spoke under his breath while writing, “He’s an acquaintance, that’s all.”

“Acquaintance?” the boy asked in disbelief. “Choi Jonghun was dead set on never talking to humans, that is. Unless he needs something very important, and I mean really very important, he never associate with humans.” Yonghwa shrugged his shoulders. “Though it’s not really puzzling since he’s a pure blood. And from an almost royal family at that.”

“Royal family, huh,” Hongki muttered, hands stopping from scribbling down notes to stare at Yonghwa. “Does he drink human blood?”

“Oh I believe he does,” Yonghwa replied, pursing his lips as if thinking deeply. “But you know pure bloods. They are never contented unless it’s their lover’s blood.”

At that, Hongki blinked and finally stopped taking notes. “You mean the legend is true that the only blood that can satisfy them is their lover?”

Yonghwa gaped at Hongki, surprised at how his friend talked rather faster than he usually does. “Yeah, it’s, I guess, true. Look at them pure bloods. They always keep a pet beside them.”

Leaning back, Hongki nodded and bit his lip a little before asking, “So does he keep a pet, Jonghun?”

Elated at the thought that his friend had finally shared the same enthusiasm for vampires as he does, Yonghwa happily nodded, not noticing how Hongki’s face shadowed. “Yes, he does. I told you before didn’t I? His lover is Lee Jaejin.”

Hongki froze on his seat. “J-Jaejin?”

“You forgot about him already?” Yonghwa asked, a bit dismayed at that Hongki wasn’t paying attention before. “I told you he follows Jonghun everywhere before but he left six months ago. Man, you can’t blame Choi Jonghun for taking that boy under his wings. Jin’s a looker.”

But Hongki was not listening. He was too numb to hear Yonghwa’s other words.

 

 

“Welcome back, sir,” the Choi family butler Lee Eunhyuk greeted the elderly man standing at the doorway of the huge mansion, stricken at how this man closely resembles his younger master. He bowed down before taking the coat off the older man, bowing down again when he got the coat on his hand.

“Where’s my grandson?” the old man asked in his raspy but warm voice, the latter tone clearly indicating his fondness of the man he’s looking for.

Eunhyuk stood straight and replied in a formal tone, “He’s still in the university, sir.”

Nodding, the elder man tapped his shoulder, smiling as he does so. “You still haven’t grown, Eunhyuk,” the man commented, eyeing his much smaller figure. “Now, call Jonghun will you? I have some information for him.”

Bowing again, Eunhyuk then went to the telephone situated on top of a small circular table and dialed the number of the university his young master is attending. After a few rings, the other line picked up and when he asked to speak to Jonghun, the woman on the line told him that his master was out. After thanking the girl, he placed the phone back on the receiver and faced the older man standing behind him, watching his every move.

“Sir, I’m afraid young master Jonghun is out,” he told the old man formally.

“Ah, how unfortunate,” the man muttered. “Just when I found out something important, he goes away.”

Lowering his gaze, Eunhyuk asked in a low voice, “Sir, forgive me for prying but, is it the matter of mistress So Ra’s disappearance?”

The old man nodded, not in the least bit bothered by the question. “Yes, yes, it is. I finally knew the name of my son’s killer.”

 

 

“Quit it,” Goo Hara ordered reprimandingly, glaring at Wonbin who was holding a blood bag behind, trying his best to keep it far from her. Sighing, Hara stomped her foot angrily before sitting beside Jonghun who was reading a book while they were waiting for their professor.

Chuckling, Wonbin threw the blood bag at Hara’s direction, the latter quickly forgetting her anger and catching the blood bag in her had smugly.

“You’re both idiots,” Jonghun murmured without taking his eyes off from the books he’s reading.

Poking her tongue out, Hara mumbled the word ‘killjoy’ before putting the blood bag in her purse. She smiled widely when the blood bag fitted the purse nicely and raised her head to tease Jonghun but her eyes wandered off to the gloomy figure standing at the doorway of their classroom. She nearly shrieked when she noticed that it was only Lee Hongki.

“What?” Jonghun asked, sensing a different reaction from Hara. He was about to put down the book when he caught a familiar sweet smell. “Hongki,” Jonghun mumbled before quickly turning to Hongki’s direction.

And there stood Hongki, fist clenched, gaze lowered. In a matter of seconds, Jonghun was suddenly in front of Hongki, the latter not even surprised. “What’s wrong, Hongki?” Jonghun asked in his rare worried tone.

“I need to talk to you,” Hongki replied sullenly without bothering to look up at Jonghun.

Nodding, Jonghun replied, “Sure. The rooftop then.”

 

 

A full thirty minutes had passed and still no words were spoken between the two of them. Hongki sat silently on the lone bench situated at the corner of the rooftop, his fists still clenched that Jonghun grew nervous for the first time.

“Hey,” Jonghun nudged, leaning against the metal railings. “Since when did you get nervous before speaking to me?” he said, hoping to get any reactions from Hongki.

Sighing, Hongki lifted his gaze on Jonghun. “Where’s Jaejin?” he asked in his normal blunt way.

“Coven,” Jonghun replied, equally straightforward himself.

Anger coiled up in Hongki’s stomach. “Coven? You brought my brother to those killers?”

“Killers?” Jonghun asked crossly. “You thought of us as killers?”

“And aren’t you?” Hongki retorted, too furious at himself for not asking about his brother first after recovering his memory to even think about how Jonghun might feel.

“How did we come to this?” Jonghun asked irritatedly, averting his eyes from Hongki to look at the vast football field just behind him. “He’s safe, okay?”

“Safe?” Hongki questioned, voice rising up a hitch. “You brought Jaejin to a bunch of vampires!”

“He is a vampire himself for Pete’s sake!” Jonghun blurted out, surprised at how Hongki can draw so much emotions from him.

Hongki froze. “You turned him into one of you?” he asked quietly, suddenly feeling all too weak. “And you drink his blood, don’t you? He’s your pet,” Hongki’s voice dropped to a whisper, mind wandering to his early memories of Jaejin and cringed silently everytime he pictures his innocent brother in Jonghun’s arms, too weak to object from having his blood drank.

Snorting, Jonghun rolled his eyes. “If he is, so what?”

It was as if someone had dropped a bomb in front of Hongki when he heard those words. “You… made him into a blood drinking monster?”

Something icy crept into Jonghun’s system at the last three words that escaped Hongki’s lips. “All these years you thought of me as a monster?” he asked inaudibly, clenching his jaw as he felt his eyes turn into a bright crimson.

Seeing his friend’s eyes turn into pools of red, Hongki felt nervousness creeping in his body, making him aware of the things he had just said. “I…”

Mind void of any thoughts, Jonghun raised his dark gaze on Hongki. “Blood drinking monster, aren’t we?” he asked, running his tongue on his upper teeth afterwards. “Ten years is too much of a gap, isn’t it? To fully recover what you have thought of me.”

Swallowing loudly, Hongki stood from the bench and took a step farther. “I didn’t mean what I said. It was a slip of the ton—“

Words left Hongki when he felt something warm pressing against his neck and was mortified when he saw it was Jonghun’s lips. “Jonghun…” he muttered, trying to stay calm. “Jonghun I said I’m sorry. Jongh— argh!”

A shudder ran through Hongki’s body when he felt the razor sharp teeth of Jonghun pierce the skin of his throat. It was painful at first but slowly he felt something entering his body, as if tickling each and every of his senses causing a moan to emanate from his lips.

“Ah…” he moaned, hands involuntarily clutching Jonghun closer to his body. “S-stop,” Hongki whispered, almost begging. He felt his knees weaken, his eyes rolling back to his skull while his hands grasped Jonghun’s hair tightly. Slowly, Hongki felt his eyes close at the sweet pain Jonghun’s causing him.

After a few minutes, Hongki heard a loud gasp just as he felt the cold wind touch the pale skin of his neck and saw Jonghun the tiny recesses of blood on the corner of his lips.

Involuntarily, Hongki raised his hand to touch the warm fluid alarmingly flowing from his neck and was shocked when his hand turned red after the contact. Nausea and dizziness caused him to finally lose the last thread of consciousness.

“Hongki!”

 

 

“Your son’s killer, sir?” Eunhyuk asked Choi Jongshin whose face had darkened at the thought of his son, while they both still stand at the doorway of the mansion.

It has been ten years and it was only now that they have finally a lead as to who killed his young master Jonghun’s father. He could still very much recall the anguish on his young master’s face when he heard the news of his father’s death. This was the reason why Choi Jongshin had left: to search for evidences, to atleast be able to tell Jonghun the name of his beloved father’s killer. “If I may ask, kind sir, who was the suspect?”

Sighing, Choi Jongshin turned to the younger man. “It was the famous Lee vampire hunters.”

 

 

~8~

 

 

Author's Note:

Here's the next chapter which I guess, is full of mistakes (<-- sorry!). Forgive me for not updating sooner. I was having troubles and I thought writing during then would probably cause me to kill off all the characters, so...

Thank you so much for reading! I hope you could leave me a few words at the comment section below. See you soon, love you~

P.S. All mistakes above are mine. Sorry!~ (And please do leave comments!) :D