Vague

Thirst

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER FOUR

Vague

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
 
 
 

"Hongki..." a deep voice keeps calling, its owner looking down on the unconscious boy lying lifelessly on top of the only hospital bed inside the Knight University. “Hongki," the voice called again, this time slightly tapping the boy on the cheek.

I was alone. I was walking in the middle of the road, lifeless in comparison to the people running, rushing, hurrying, to leave the city. For Seoul, the last city to stand against the vampires have finally succumbed and waved the flag of defeat.

My feet were telling me to run. I want to. But I can't. I was feeling too nervous to run. My feet won't move any faster.

My heart was beating loudly against my chest. The vampire hunter I met earlier said that our house had been attacked. It was my fault. Mother had clearly told me to stay with Jaejin but I stubbornly went to the market and bought a white rose, Jonghun's favorite flower, for I was to meet him today.

It was dark and silent, the forest is. It had been like that for so many years that no one had dared enter it. I followed the trail slowly, carefully observing, looking out for the said vampire.

I heard a slight rustle to my left and was horrified to see a pair of shocking red eyes framed by such long lashes in between the leafless branches of the trees before it vanished like thin smoke.

My feet dragged into the snow as I walked faster, my ribs almost unable to contain my heart as it thump loudly that I can almost hear it. When I couldn't seem to contain myself anymore, I ran as fast as I can until I reached the place we call our home.

A shudder went through my body as I feel the eerie silence while staring at our cabin. It was obviously empty.

My eyes shifted to the red dots on the snow. I was horrified to see that it was blood. And was more horrified when I heard a harsh intake of breath not far from our house.

I followed the sound nervously, my young mind already flooded with the worst things. I brushed off the branches blocking my way and found myself walking toward the direction of the stream, my favorite place, the only life inside this dead-like forest.

I brushed another branch off before the most horrible scene appeared shockingly before my eyes.

My father was on the snow, dead based on his pale color. His usually warm face was frozen by death, turning his usual smile into that of scorn. His right hand connected with my mother, the hands that I so love about her covered with blood.

It was shocking enough to see them lying there dead but I was more than horrified when I saw a familiar figure kneeling on the cold, white snow, holding a small figure in his perfectly slender arms.

My lips opened to call the figure but before I can my eyes were met with a pair of bright crimson eyes. I was used to it. His eyes almost always turn a dark red when he's with me. But his lips, his small pinkish lips were tainted red with blood. My gaze lowered to the figure he holds in his white arms and mouth fell open when I recognized that small, unconscious face of my little brother. He lies limply against Jonghun; on his pale neck were two small dots, a trickle of blood flowing from it.

I want to ask. I want to know the reason why he did it, or if he did it. But coward as I was, I took a step back, silent tears flowing from my eyes. I couldn't bring myself to ask. What if he says he did it? What would I do?

I never like confrontations. I don't want to know the truth. It might hurt me. Shock me. Kill me.

And so I did the thing I regretted the most, I turned my back and left, leaving Jonghun begging me to listen.

And then the only thing that keeps repeating in my mind was, I'm so sorry Jonghun.

For ten years I hated him. Oh, how I hate him. I cursed him and scorned him along with all of the vampire society. But it was sheer bitterness and regret turned into anger. The person I still hate the most is myself. I should have stayed. I should have listened. But I was weak. I ran away. I was the one to blame. And blame myself I did.

And then an unfamiliar voice came over soothingly, whispering gently to my ear, “I’m sorry Hongki but you must sleep

 

 

 

Lee Hongki gasped loudly as he slipped away from unconsciousness. His warm brown eyes wandered for a moment before focusing on the worried face in front of him.

"Yonghwa," he said slowly, his eyes roaming the boy's concerned face before looking down on his hands, alternately closing and opening them as if testing if they weren't numb.

He heard a loud sigh from Yonghwa and looked up. "I'm glad you're okay," said Yonghwa, relief evident in his deep toned voice, hands dramatically placed against his own chest.

Hongki remained silent and slowly rose from the bed. Jung Yonghwa stood from the seat beside the bed and immediately assisted Hongki. "Geez, Hongki, you have to rest," the boy scolded, his eyes reprimanding. "What happened to you anyway?"

That stilled Hongki. He quickly searched his memories about what happened and couldn't remember any. His cluelessness must have shown for Yonghwa said, "Must be shock. You have a slight bump in your head. You must have hit it."

Hearing that, Hongki's hands moved to touch his head and found the bump on the back of his skull. He grimaced when he felt a sharp pain go through him after touching the bump slightly.

"Careful," Yonghwa reminded.

He shifted his eyes to Yonghwa and asked, "Where did you found me?"

The boy shrugged his lean shoulders. "Inside our classroom, you looked dead lying on the cold marble like that so I rushed to help you and brought you here. Though I can't remember why I was in the same room as you and didn't know what happened."

"Strange," Hongki mumbled, his mind racing.

"Mm, yes, it was strange," Yonghwa agreed before sitting back on the chair beside the bed. "You were on the floor saying 'I'm sorry Jonghun'."

Jonghun? “Why would I say that?” Hongki asked confusedly, shifting his eyes to the paneled ceiling as though he could get answers there. Why would I say sorry to Choi Jonghun?

“Exactly my sentiment,” said Yonghwa, a chuckle escaping his chapped lips. “I mean, why would you even call him in an overly familiar manner, right? It’s not as if you know each other.”

No words came out of Hongki’s lips after that. He plainly stood from the bed despite Yonghwa’s protests and puzzledly walked to the men’s dormitory.

Sorry? Why would I say sorry to Choi Jonghun? He mentally shook his head and gained a faster pace, Yonghwa complaining about him being so quick while slowly following behind him. He breathed out a sigh when he saw the white mansion that is their dormitory and then he stopped on his tracks. He whirled around, catching Yonghwa in surprise.

“What?” the boy asked, eyes giving him curious looks.

“I’m Lee Hongki, right?” he asked, narrowing his eyes at Yonghwa, hands curled into fists.

“Uh-huh,” replied Yonghwa, still darting him curious looks.

Satisfied, Lee Hongki spun around to face the dormitory and slowly walked toward it. Still, uneasiness held over him. There is something wrong, says his guts.

What happened to me? I feel… different.

 

 

"Vampires were first discovered during the winter of the year 2000 when the famous vampire hunter Han Jin Ki imprisoned an unusually beautiful creature, except for the red of the blood that covers her body. She was found lying beside a man who lifelessly lies on the white snow, blood surrounding them. She was brought into a court but to the surprise of everyone, she attacked all of them single-handedly, killing everyone inside the court. The woman was known to be Selene, which means Moon. Since then, aspiring vampire hunters hunted her day and night. But the vampire hunters discovered something dangerous on the fourth night of the frenzied search, a coven. A coven of vampires. So the sport of vampire hunting began."

The room was silent, the students leaning forward on their seats, very eager to listen to the charismatic professor who stood on the platform with such a passionate expression on his perfectly lovely face usual on vampires with high stature as he tells the story of his ancestors. His voice was full of life, his slim hands waving into the air as he glides them beautifully while speaking.

"It is unfortunate, to be hunted in such disgracing way," the professor told the students, dramatically covering his eyes with his arms. "Such pity."

Giggles floated into the air as they look at their new History professor, already taken in with his innate beauty. After such long speech, the man on the platform bowed, causing another wave of giggles to erupt and then dismissed the class. In a snap everyone scurried out except one-- someone with equally beautiful lean face. Seated at the back, the boy clapped his hands gracefully, his lips curved into a thin smile before rising to his feet.

The skin of this beautiful creature was as pale as snow, the lips were as red as blood, and the eyes were fierce with a hint of crimson hidden behind those chocolate brown eyes. Underneath those heart-melting eyes were purple bruises, like he could use a good night’s sleep. His dark brown hair was disheveled although his features were impossibly stunning; everything about his appearance was unbelievable, yet unconditional.

"Bravo," said the boy, still clapping his hands. "You've made quite an expression."

The vampire on the platform laughed, its sound leaving a delightful ring on one's ears. "Since when did you arrive?"

Shrugging, the boy shrugged his slender shoulders and scowled. "Just a moment ago."

"Ah," the vampire said. "That's so like you to be secretive," he pursed his lips and caressed it with his fingers. "Jaejin."

The boy called Jaejin smirked. "And it's so like you to act so gracious when you’ve done such anomaly, Seunghyun."

 

 

"Pity," Goo Hara muttered, staring at her dirtied dress with annoyance. Some human girl had spilled some drink onto the silk cloth when she had worn it to their room to be admired. Instead, many vampires inside the room laughed heartily at the look on her face while the culprit remained at her side, begging for forgiveness. But annoyed that she was, she ran from the room and went to the comfort room.

She looked up from the dress only when she heard slow, calculated footsteps outside. "Who is it?" Hara called, carefully arranging her dress as if there’s any change that will result from the action.

“Me,” replied Wonbin from outside the bathroom.

Hara ran outside and worriedly faced Wonbin. “How is he?” she immediately asked, concern in her beautiful auburn eyes.

The male vampire shook his head lightly and closed his eyes for a moment before answering, “That I do not know.” Wonbin clenched his fists and glared at the wall beside him. “He shouldn’t have interfered.”

"But he did," Hara emphasized. "How would I act if he ever wakes up? Should I smile and wave at him as if nothing has ever happened? that."

Gritting his teeth, Wonbin could only agree.

Damn these Coven soldiers! Always interfering and .

 

 

“Don’t, please don’t blame yourself. It wasn’t your fault, you were young, God, you were young!

His eyes fell open. The voice in his dream, it was familiar—it was achingly familiar. Its gentleness was something he had heard a thousand times and yet, when he searches his memory, he couldn’t remember anything. Nothing in his memories would remind him of whoever said those words. And nothing would explain why they were said.

Sighing, Hongki stood from his bed and went to the bathroom and while in the shower, he tried, for about a hundred time already, to search his memories. But could he really trust his memories? They contradict the statement of the people around him. His mind flashes images of a happy family while the people around him insist that his family had died ten years ago. How and why, no one knows.

He went to the living room quietly, still thinking while he involuntarily opened the television and sat on the two-seater sofa. His ears idly listened to the TV as he stared into the ceiling.

“It’s for the best…”

He blinked. Where did that voice came from?

Before his mind could process the question, his attention was diverted to the television screen where a man and a woman were seated comfortably on a settee. The woman was obviously the host with her confident posture and the cue card she holds in her hand while the tall, slender man seated on the right was obviously the guest. He has a small face, his dark brown eyes piercing. His hair was disheveled and the smirk on his pale red lips shows that he doesn't care about appearances at all. The man is devastatingly beautiful. He is also damn familiar.

After a round of applause the host began asking a question to the man.

"Tell us, Seunghyun,” the host started, in her voice lace an unhidden interest. “How do you manage the twelve members of Coven? We heard they were pretty handful.

Seunghyun, Hongki noted, the name rang a bell. Somehow, although he was sure he had never seen the man, he was certain that the man on the screen was someone he met.

Mentally, he shook his head. Song Seunghyun is a member of Coven. Surely he must have heard of the name from books and stories and not because he had somehow met the man. Mouth curving in a smirk, his hands reached for the remote control and turned the screen off. He walked to the bed and sat. When he got tired, he lay down and stared at the ceiling for a moment and closed his eyes.

“Forget it... forget every memory of him... it's for the best...

His eyes opened. Odd, he thought. Everything is odd. Things he couldn’t remember flood his mind. He wondered if this life is somehow a second life and that he lived another life before but laughed mentally at the idea. He closed his eyes again and this time, he intended to sleep.

After sometime he rose from the bed and went to the chest drawers beside the bed. He opened the first drawer and rummaged through it, uncertain of whatever he’s searching for. He closed the drawer when he was sure it was just full of clothes and kneeled to open the last drawer. Inside was a small aluminum box rusted with old age. This is the first time he had seen it and curious, he opened the box.

There were pictures—of him, of his family, pictures taken by some of his friends back in Tokyo. He smiled while looking at the photos. His mother was always the first one to suggest taking a photo and make all of them stand on one side. Sometimes, when his mother is bored, she would take photos of them while they’re doing their homework or when they’re asleep. He remembered his father being annoyed after having his photo taken when he was talking to a cucumber he planted.

Hongki chuckled softly before looking at the other photos. They were all the same, except for one.

It was a photo of a beautiful young boy, his age between ten or eleven. He was smiling at the camera, bringing light into the photo although his dark eyes reflected sadness. Somehow, Hongki felt a sharp pang on his chest as he looked at the young boy on the picture.

“Do you know how I first met him? He was on the edge of a cliff, looking out the ocean, his face was void of any expression but his eyes were full of sorrow unfitting for such a tender age. He was so beautiful, so perfect with his hair being blown by the strong wind and for a moment I stood there, mesmerized, gazing upon his beauty until he vanished. The second time I met him? He was lying lifelessly on a bed of rocks, his beautiful figure contorted dreadfully. He was dead. But I gave him another life.

A soft gasp escaped Hongki’s lips while his hand holding the picture shook with grief. Without his bidding, tears formed in his eyes, blurring his vision.

“Don’t blame yourself alone, Hongki, it was both our fault. Let’s not care about the past okay?

Biting his lower lip, Hongki closed his eyes, the tears in his eyes falling onto his cheeks as he lowered himself on the floor.

“Forget everything about him. It’s for the best…”

That man, he thought, it was Seunghyun. He opened his eyes slowly and held the picture in front of him. His eyes roamed the boy’s face on the photo.

Jonghun. I’m sorry, Jonghun.

 

 

"He's awake!"

Those were the first words he heard. He blinked his eyes twice before looking around. He is inside his room in the men's dormitory, only it wasn’t quiet. Surrounding him were three vampires, the two’s eyes filled with worry while the last filled with anger. Breathing out, he raised his hand and stared at it for a moment before another hand held it.

"I'm glad you're awake, Jonghun!" greeted Hara, the smile on her lips almost blinding. She still wears the dress spilled with a chocolate drink but her expression says she doesn't care. "Forgive, Seunghyun," Hara continued. "Anyway, Hongki was safe."

"Hongki?" He muttered, his eyebrows furrowing while looking around him.

Oh Wonbin froze, the anger in his eyes vanishing as he stared confusedly at his friend while the smile on Hara’s red lips faded, her eyes connecting with the taller vampire beside her. The said vampire looked down on Jonghun, his worry disappearing.

“What do you mean, Jonghun?” asked Jaejin, his brown eyes void of any expression as if he already knows exactly what happened.

Blinking, Jonghun sat up and frowned to the three before lowering his gaze. "Who is Hongki?"

 

~8~

 

 

Author's Note:

First, I'd like to say I'm sorry for not updating last week. I'm currently suffering, yes suffering, Achilles tendonitis-- which means my tendon on the calf was inflamed-- so I can't really move and think. I'd update again tomorrow or on Tuesday so I hope you'll forgive me. Second, I'd like to say I love you all and thank you for continuously reading this.

 

P.S. All mistakes above were mine. See you!