Haunted

Thirst

 

 

CHAPTER ONE

Haunted

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Seoul, South Korea

Eleven years ago

 

“Jonghun,” his mother hollered from the kitchen. “Where did you go again?”

Choi Jonghun silently walked to the kitchen and sat on the bar stool, almost unable to do so because of his small figure. “Mother,” he called, “are we still at war?”

Lee So Ra dried her hands on the towel after washing the dishes and went to stand beside Jonghun caressing the ten-year-old boy’s hair. It has been a year since the war between humans and vampires broke out and right now, it’s very dangerous for the two kinds to get out of the house. Killings are broadcasted almost every minute and she’s always afraid her son would be one of them. They are purebloods; the vampires wanted the most by the Vampire Hunters Association for their ability to turn humans into commoners, the lowest form of vampires.

“Jonghun, promise me you won’t go out without telling mother,” she said, almost pleading.

The boy looked up at his mother and nodded. “I won’t.”

The door slammed open causing the mother and son to snap their attention towards Choi Jongshin, Jonghun’s grandfather. He was a man with a huge figure, his face resembling that of his grandson that many people had predicted that if Jonghun would ever grow old, he would look exactly like his grandfather.

“Grandpa!” Jonghun shouted, running towards his grandfather.

Choi Jongshin smiled tenderly and hugged the boy, his eyes darting towards her daughter-in-law, the latter knowing exactly what happened and sat on the chair, face in her hands.

Jonghun pulled away from his grandpa and turned to stare at his mother. “Mom? Something’s wrong?”

His grandfather pulled his small figure into his huge one and caressed his soft hair. “Your dad left,” he announced, carefully watching Jonghun’s small face.

As expected, the boy got it. “Heaven?” he asked tearfully before burying his face into his grandfather’s neck.

“Yes, son. Heaven.”

 

 

Lee Hongki silently made his way towards his favorite place, the stream inside the forest, kicking the cold, white snow beneath his feet. His father had warned him not to go to the forest but stubborn as he is, he still went after seeing his parents leave again to meet the other members of the Association.

He smiled when he found that the stream had not freeze and ran to it, shrieking when he felt its coldness.

“You’re weird,” someone behind him said.

Hongki whirled around and was shocked when his dark eyes met red ones. “V-vampire,” he muttered. This is what he gets for being such an obedient boy. Now it’s his end. The vampire shrugged and remained seated on the rock by the stream, unmoving, his small figure indicating his being the same age with Hongki.

“Please continue your stupidly playing with the cold water,” the vampire stated flatly.

Slowly, Hongki went out of the water and walked to the boy, the other’s eyes cautiously following his every move. He sat on the snowy ground beside the rock and looked up into the vampire’s eyes. “Why are you here? This is my place,” he declared.

Blinking, the vampire rose to its feet and said, “Please forgive me.” The boy yawned and stared directly into Hongki’s eyes. “I guess you’re not boring huh?” The vampire turned away and disappeared into the fog.

Weird. That boy is weird, Hongki thought. I thought they were supposed to go for human’s necks? And what does he mean by his last sentence?

He stayed beside the stream until the sky turned to a pinkish color. Hongki stood up and stretched his limbs before walking to the trail leading to their house. He kicked the snow while walking and whistled to himself. His whistling stopped when he felt someone move behind him.

Whirling around, he found no one behind him and shrugged. “Maybe it’s the boy?” he asked to himself before turning to walk again but his eyes met another pair of red eyes. This time it doesn’t belong to that boy.

“Hello,” greeted the raspy voice, its greedy bloodshot eyes scanning Hongki’s face. It took a whiff of air and grinned. “You smell wonderfully.”

Hongki froze on his feet. Now he’s really in trouble. With no one to help him, he’d surely die in this vampire’s hands. His eyes looked up and down at the creature. The vampire standing before him is a commoner, its aura says so. Unlike the boy earlier which had an air of purity and arrogance with him, this vampire exudes danger and greediness.

The creature’s grin became wider when it saw terror in Hongki’s eyes. “Scared?”

“Leave him alone,” came an authoritative voice from behind the man.

Hongki sneaked a look to see who spoke and saw that it’s the boy from earlier. “Run, you brat!” he yelled to the boy who didn’t even move a bit but continued staring at the older vampire.

The vampire grinned and turned to the boy. “A pureblood?”

Pureblood? Hongki thought.

Now he couldn’t see the vampire’s face but he’d bet its face remained greedy as hell. He turned his gaze on the boy and was surprised to not see him standing there just like he did a minute ago. Suddenly, the boy reappeared from the trees above them and landed on the vampire’s shoulder, its small hands gripping around the man’s neck. Hongki heard a crack before he shockingly saw the man’s head fall on the ground, its body limply falling beside it.

Shocked, Hongki fell on the ground and stared wide-eyed at the dismembered vampire. His eyes turned wider when the body turned into black ashes.

“You need help?”

Hongki gazed up at the boy, now standing before him, palms held open. He took the vampire’s hand, realizing it wasn’t as cold as he read in the novels and stood up. “What was that?” he asked the boy wondrously.

The boy shrugged and shook Hongki’s hands that he still held in his. “I’m Jonghun.”

Blinking, Hongki smiled and shook the boy’s hands too. “I’m Lee Hongki.”

Jonghun leaned his head to the side and stared at Hongki, his hands falling to his side. “Lee Hongki?” he asked. “Are you, by any chance, related to the vampire hunter’s family?”

Hongki scratched his head. “Uh, yeah, I’m the eldest son.”

Nodding, Jonghun started to turn away but Hongki grabbed his arms and hugged him. “Thank you, Jonghun,” Hongki whispered.

Unthinking, Jonghun’s hands moved to hug the boy back. “You’re welcome, Hongki.”

 

 

“Your dad died?” Hongki asked Jonghun, sitting on the rock beside the flowing stream, his favorite spot which no one knows about except the boy lying on the snowy ground.

Nodding, Jonghun looked up at Hongki and answered nonchalantly, “Yeah. A certain vampire hunter killed him.”

“And you’re not scared that I’m a vampire hunter’s son?” Hongki asked, staring at Jonghun’s face intently.

Jonghun shrugged. “You didn’t kill him. I should be mad at the person who killed him.” He looked at Hongki. “There’s no point hating those who didn’t do anything to you.”

Hongki nodded and slid down the rock, settling beside Jonghun. He leaned in and stared at Jonghun’s eyes. “Strange,” he muttered.

Jonghun blinked. “What’s strange?”

Sitting back, Hongki shrugged. “Your eyes. It’s raven black now.”

“Ah,” Jonghun murmured in understanding. “Our eyes turn into a bloody red when we’re mad or…” he sat up and gazed at Hongki before continuing, “thirsty,” he whispered huskily, eyes roaming around Hongki’s face, observing its expression.

But the boy remained calm. “What did you mean by your earlier statement? You said ‘you’re not boring’.”

“Because you’re not scared of me.”

“Huh?”

Jonghun lied back down on the snowy ground. “You’re not like the others. You don’t scurry to get away from me. You’re different.” Jonghun looked up at the now dark sky. “I like you.”

“It’s cold, the ice, why are you lying on the ice?” Hongki asked, staring up at the sky too.

Closing his eyes, Jonghun murmured, more to himself than to Hongki, “It reminds me of Dad. He’s almost cold as ice but his heart is as cold as fire.”

No one spoke after that. The two just continued staring at the sky, both contented.

 

 

“I’m going to have to go to Japan this month,” Choi Jongshin announced while they were gathered around the dining table later. His eyes fell on his grandson who remains silent in his seat, toying with his food.

So Ra spoke. “They finally made it?” she asked, excitement clear in her soft voice.

Choi Jongshin smiled at his daughter-in-law and said, “Yes. Mister Takenaga assured me that everything’s ready. The blood pills are going to be distributed largely now.” His cold, shriveled hands went to touch So Ra’s hand. “We can now live peacefully with humans. Just as he dreamed.”

Tears shining in her eyes, Lee Sora looked down at her son. “Heard that, Jonghun? War is now going to be over.”

 

 

The day after that talk, war between humans and vampires reached its . Killings from both sides are now reported almost every second, humans now using their technology in killing vampires. But the vampires have the Coven, an elite group of soldiers ready to fight for the vampire’s rights, headed by Kim Heechul. The latter finally announced his renouncement of the human’s inhumane treatment of the vampires. For years now, since humans discovered the vampires’ existence, the continuous vampire hunting became a sport that it finally snapped the young Kim Heechul’s insistence for peace.

“Should we fight now?” Hongki asked the boy lying beside him. His parents now had no more time to spend with them that he’s now free to meet up with Jonghun anytime. Since the war finally came at its worst, all vampire hunters are gathered to team up against the strong Coven.

Jonghun snorted. “I’d win without a doubt.”

Smiling, Hongki rolled to his side, propping his elbow on the still snow-covered floor and stared at his friend’s emotionless face. His hands rose to Jonghun’s high-bridged nose, his finger trailing to touch the vampire’s cold, soft lips. “Why are you so emotionless Jonghun?”

It’s been a year now since they met and their friendship just grew stronger despite the warring between their kinds. Jonghun pursed his lips and kissed Hongki’s finger, causing the latter to let out a gasp.

“We will always be together, right Hongki?” Jonghun asked, staring up at Hongki’s face.

Gulping, Hongki leaned in towards Jonghun and placed a soft kiss on his friend’s lips. “Yeah,” he murmured. “Always.”

Jonghun smiled, the first time he ever did since his father died. To Hongki it was the brightest thing he has ever seen. It was so pure, his Jonghun’s smile.

 

 

The forest is silent, as it’s usually is. It probably scares a lot of people since no one ever dared to enter it, aside from a stubborn person Jonghun knows. He smiled, feeling wonderful to be able to smile again, and walked faster to the stream where he and Hongki were supposed to meet.

And when he finally reached the stream, Jonghun’s smile faded at the sight. Three bloody people were lying beside the stream. Jonghun ran to help, recognizing the three to be Hongki’s family. Tears he never thought he had flowed down his cheeks as he felt Hongki’s father’s pulse. None. He’s dead. Jonghun ran to Hongki’s mother and was surprised when her bloody hands grabbed at him.

“I know you,” she whispered breathlessly. “You’re my Hongki’s friend, aren’t you?”

Jonghun nodded and held his friend’s mother’s hands in his. “Please be alive,” he whispered, looking around, wondering where to get help.

“S-save,” Hongki’s mother whispered. “S-save m-my J-Jaejin…”

Jonghun’s eyes snapped to the small boy lying beside him and nodded. He rose to his feet and kneeled beside Jaejin. “Jin,” he whispered, caressing the boy’s face before feeling his pulse. He’s still has a pulse.

He had seen this little boy. Jonghun remembered him as sweet and tender though he never got close to him because he might scare the boy away. He leaned in to Jaejin’s neck, hesitatingly. He vowed never to sink his fangs on a human flesh, dying or not. But he needs his help. Hongki’s brother has to be alive or else his friend will be left alone. It’s too late for Hongki’s mother who is now dead beside him but there is still hope for the boy he now held in his arms. He closed his eyes, breathing in, smelling Jaejin’s wonderful scent, and sank his teeth on the boy’s neck, injecting his poison into the boy’s veins.

It tasted so good, Jaejin’s blood, but he has to stop. Jonghun pulled himself back and stared at Jaejin’s face, noticing how it’s now returning to a normal color when he heard a loud gasp.

His eyes fell on Hongki’s, standing seven feet from them, his face contorted with fury and anguish. “Hongki,” he whispered.

“You are a traitor,” Hongki seethed, his eyes filled with scorn and contempt. “I treated you as a friend, you !”

Jonghun froze. No! His mind shouted. I have to explain. “Hongki,” he finally said in a shaking voice. “It’s n-not what you think.”

Hongki looked at his parents bloody bodies and at his brother’s before running away, his heart aching. He loved him! He loved Jonghun with all his heart and believed that vampires are good and misunderstood. He was wrong! Tears flowed from his eyes as he ran, not minding the branches that hit his face. The pain those things bring him is nothing compared to what he feels now. He wants to die now. Now, please!

 

 

 

Seoul, South Korea

Present day

 

“Today we celebrate the tenth year of the unification of the vampires and humans through the signage of the Treaty of the Roses. Ten years ago the world was filled with darkness but—

Jonghun rolled his eyes while staring up at the huge LCD screen in the auditorium of Knight University. Students from University were required to watch the speech that is to be delivered by the vampire leader, Kim Heechul and it’s boring the hell out of him. He’d known what Heechul is about to say, since his friend had consulted to him about it, and right now, all Jonghun wanted to do is to sleep in his bed all day long.

“I’d bet you’re wishing you’re in your bed, sleeping all day long,” whispered Wonbin from his side, snickering while watching his friend’s expression turn from boredom to irritation.

Turning to look at Wonbin, Jonghun said annoyingly, “Stop saying such nonsensical things.”

Goo Hara sat upstraight from her chair beside Jonghun and laughed. “Oh, but you’re expression tells us you’re bored. And anyway, you always look bored.”

Sighing, Jonghun leaned back and stared up at the LCD screen now showing Heechul standing behind a podium, giving his flawless speech and stunning the girls inside the auditorium.

Kim Heechul’s really very handsome! If only he weren’t a pureblood!

But I heard he doesn’t give a damn if you’re human or not!

Really? Then can he be mine?

The two vampires seated beside Jonghun smiled to themselves, knowing that these girls will never interest Heechul. Wonbin and Hara both turned to give a wicked smile at Jonghun.

Wonbin spoke first. “If these girls knew that you are the object of Heechul’s affections, mortality rate would go higher.”

Hara butted in. “And the cause would be suicide.”

Rolling his eyes, Jonghun ignored the two and continued watching Heechul although he’s not listening. Ten years, the news says, it has been a decade since the awful war between the vampires and humans broke out. It has been a decade when he last experienced love. A bittersweet love.

The news today certainly didn’t help in making him forget about what happened ten years ago. Sometimes he dreams about the yesteryears and in his mind, he always changes how things ended a decade ago. How he could have explained instead of accepting the fact that he might be what the boy he fell in love with thought of him: a monster. But every time he dreams about that, there’s always an ache in his heart knowing nothing would ever change. It was done. Finished. Lee Hongki left Seoul the morning after through the help of the Vampire Hunters Association, his location unknown. What’re left are Jonghun and his heart, both broken into tiny pieces.

He sighed. It’s nonsense to be reminiscing about the past. All he should think about is the task at hand. He is a member of the Coven, the group of elite vampire soldiers whose task is to protect life, vampire and humans alike. The task given to him is to find the professor who made an amazing discovery about the long-term cure for vampires. Although they have blood pills to aid their thirst, vampires are still somewhat dissatisfied about how the drug is nothing close to their real diet which is a human’s blood. And so it was assigned to Jonghun the task of finding a certain Japanese doctor named Kisa Teru who is now reported to be hiding inside the Knight University. He entered the University to find the old man who, after a year of his stay, is still nowhere to be found. Jonghun had asked about him from other professors but they were all silent about the doctor.

Jonghun looked at his watch before staring up at the LCD again only to find that the speech had ended and that everyone is now clapping their hands. Before everyone could stand up though, a professor from Humanities went up the stage and ordered everyone to sit back. After the moans of protest, the students remained seated and waited for the announcement.

“We will use this opportunity to welcome a special student in our university,” the professor said through the microphone, her voice echoing on the auditorium’s interior. She continued, “He is special because he came from the Vampire Hunters Association and is now staying in Knight University for research purposes. Let’s give him a good time, okay?”

Everyone waited for the student to come up on the stage and they weren’t disappointed. The guy climbing up the stairs is a young man in his early twenties, wearing a black suit and matching black slacks, his hair a cross between brown and red. But what made him special is his small beautiful face. A face Jonghun thought he’d never see again.

“Let’s give a warm welcome to Lee Hongki!”

Hongki…

Frozen on his seat, Jonghun’s bittersweet memories started flooding his mind again while the boy on the stage started looking around the auditorium, seemingly looking for someone until his eyes fell on Jonghun’s face.

 

~8~

 

Author's Note:

You might say, 'Whaat author this is the update?' Yep. this is a new storyline now. And I will keep my promise of updating every week since I brought it upon myself (Ooh, so deep). You might ask me why I deleted the first three chapters as well. I decided to write this fanfiction using the third person's point of view because I really am messed up when writing directly from the character's point of view and since the first three chapters are written from Jonghun's POV, I rewrited them and made them like the one you see above (I meant the story). Sorry for making you read all over again but I have to know... what do you think?

Leave your comments below and thank you for those people who commented and told me they accept my decision: hongstary, royalPRI, aielyft. And to an_lee who, instead of using guns and knives, opted to use such sweet words. Thank you guys! And to the readers, I love all of you! You know that right? See you!

 

P.S. If there are any mistakes or grammatical errors, it's my finger's fault, not mine, I assure you.