Heartbeat

When Rivalry Turns to Love

 

Hongki’s POV

 “Jonghun-ssi, did you have amnesia, Alzheimer’s disease perhaps? Or any mind-erasing disease that wiped away your memory? Did you forget that I’m always the victim here?”

He raised an eyebrow.

“Let me refresh your memory, Hongki. When we were in second grade, who glued the pages of my book?”

I looked away from Jonghun and murmured, “Me.”

“Ah, so it’s you. Same year, who removed my bicycle’s brake causing my smashing against a tree? And by the way, I was hospitalized for a week because of that.”

I whistled, not knowing what to say.

“Hongki, who was it?”

“Uh… me?” I answered, still looking away.

“That’s right. Then three weeks after that, my room became Pacific Ocean because someone activated the smoke detector. Who was that someone?” Jonghun looked innocently at me.

I looked down. Why is he enumerating these things? This is embarrassing.

“I am that someone," I replied, embarrassed.

Jonghun laughed.

I looked at Jonghun angrily, remembering what he did for revenge.

“Ya! You retaliated by replacing my mouthwash with a nasal solution!”

“You put Lego inside my shoes,” he answered calmly.

“You did the same!”

Jonghun’s eyebrows rose.

“Really? Ooh, daebak.”

I was supposed to say something when I remembered that he lose to me.

“Now, Jonghun, aren’t you suppose to pay respect to me? I am your master remember?”

I felt happiness surged through me when I saw his pained reaction. I got him.

“What do I have to do?”

“Start calling me master,” I ordered sternly though I’m very happy inside.

“Ani!”

Waah! This guy really is irritating!

“Why not?”

“I refuse to call you Master,” he said, sullen then his expression suddenly brightened.

“What?” I asked him, curious as to why he looked happy.

“How about calling you ‘monster’? It’s close anyway,” he said without blinking.

“Jugule?”

“But I don’t want to call you master. It’s very degrading.”

“Then… call me ‘hyung’.”

“Fine. What else?”

He agreed? Oh, well, I’m older than him anyway. Hey! I am older than him and yet he calls me Hongki!

“Hyung. You forgot to insert ‘hyung’ in your sentence,” I reminded him.

 “What else do you want me to do… hyung?” Jonghun smiled sweetly at me, his teeth showing between his lips.

“You still look annoying so stop looking like a lamb.”

Yes, I am annoyed. It irks me that I actually liked his smile. It made me blink. He has the most perfect teeth in the world.

Wait. What did I just say? Aigoo. Erase that thought brain!

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. Just say what you need to say.”

“You should always follow me. As my slave, you are expected to be at my side. Always.”

His eyebrows meet at the center.

“I don’t like that idea,” he pouted.

I made a mistake by looking at his lips. Are they always so red—aish!

“Jonghun, you don’t have to like it.”

“Why do I need to follow you?”

I liked the fact that he looks really mad now.

“Because that’s how I want it to be so shut up and stop complaining. You complain a lot that you’re beginning to sound like a girl,” I said tauntingly.

“Well at least I don’t look like a girl,” he mockingly retorted.

“I want to punch your face Choi Jonghun,” I said angrily.

He raised an eyebrow in challenge.

“Go. Hit me.”

Calm down, Hongki. If you fight him, you’re just gonna give him what he wants. Plus, if you did punch him you are going to injure your knuckles. God knows how hard Jonghun’s face is.

“No. I’d rather enjoy watching you follow my orders.”

He cringed. I smiled triumphantly.

“Hmm,” I started again. “I’ll think of other things do with you later. We have a class now. Let’s go.”

Jonghun lied on the bench again and closed his eyes.

“What are you doing?” I asked, perplexed.

He opened his right eye to look at me for a second before shutting it again.

“Sleeping,” he murmured.

“You can’t sleep. We have a class.”

“I don’t care. I always skip classes.”

My eyebrows knit together.

“How the hell did you get good grades then? You cheat?”

Does he?

“No, pabo. I was born a genius.”

I pulled his right arm forcefully so he stood in front of me. So forceful that his chest bumped on mine. My pulse rate increased. What is happening?

I was asking myself this question when Jonghun suddenly pushed me.

“What are you doing?” he asked, his voice irritated.

 “What do you mean?” I asked him, worried he noticed my heart’s loud beat.

“I want to sleep, okay? I don’t want to go to class,” he said, returning to the bench to sleep again.

I shook my head mentally and pulled his arm again, this time carefully. I don’t want to bump into him again. Gah, this guy makes me feel weird things.

“Hey!” he exclaimed.

I dragged him along while walking.

“You. Are. Going. To. Class. Okay? Anyway, you agreed to be by my side. Always,” I reminded him.

“No, I didn’t,” he scowled.

“I don’t care.”

We were in the stairs when he shook out of my grasp.

“I can walk by myself.”

He strolled past me.

“Ya! You can’t walk ahead of me,” I said pouting.

He turned to look at me, irritated.

“Then walk faster… hyung,” he said, his voice husky.

My heart leaped.

 

 

A/N

Hello! I'm not that busy so I updated :)

 

Anyway, what do you think? Please leave a comment. I'm dying to know what people think about this story so feel free to say anything.

 

I'll update soon. Maybe even tomorrow... :))