Delusion

Presence

 

Sehun looked up from the cement floor and his eyes fixed on the building in front of him. The house stood tall and elegant in the outer edge of the city. It was built like a castle with trees surrounding its border while adding a sense of mystery. Enormous windows were decorated with intricate designs, etched into the marble that frames it; the alabaster house shined even brighter in the afternoon sun light.

Everything about this house gave Sehun a sense that it was too perfect and fragile, just like his lover who is now grounded in the forbidden castle. But this was Sehun’s own fairy tale. There was no dragon to slay or princess to rescue. Morbidly, Sehun thought, it was all rather like Romeo and Juliet, except he was still here.

He rang the door bell and a soft voice came to greet him.

“Hi, who is it?”

“It’s me Sehun.”

“Oh, Sehunnie, come on in. Don’t keep Luhan waiting. I’m sure he wants to see you more than anything.”

“Thank you, so how is he doing?” Sehun said as he set his bouquet and drink down to take off his shoes.

“Same old same old, I don’t know whether I should be happy or sad.”

“Be happy, he would want you see you smile so be happy.” Sehun answered while walking up the spiral stairs. Everything about this still seems too unrealistic but that person lying in the deepest corner of the castle was as real as he could get.

The hallway of the second floor is decorated with multiple paintings; although they are not famous, but it still shows the owners’ tastes. Even after numerous times he came through this hallway, the amount of sunshine that is able to escape through the window amazes him every time. What the sunshine lit up was not only Sehun’s hope but the door he was about to enter as well. He stood in front of the door, a little nervous to enter through that door. After he took a deep breath, his hand reached for the doorknob and opened the door.

Just like the rest of the house, the room was decorated with items in the purest color: white. The bed positioned in the center of the room, held Sehun’s one and only treasure. Luhan laid in the king sized bed with white sheets surrounding him, and a soft pillow that held his small head in place. His lips were curled upwards, displaying a faint smile and he his eyes remained closed like a sleeping baby. The sunshine lit up his room, and portrayed Luhan as an angel; the purest and kindest of all creatures alive. And that was what Sehun loved about Luhan; his kindness and his pure little innocent heart.

Sehun walked up to the bed side table and replaced his flowers with the wilted ones in the vase. But eventually, this bouquet of rose will end up the same as the last: wilted and dead.

The room was dead quiet and the only noise was heard is Luhan’s ECG machine that implies how strong Luhan’s heart is beating.

Sehun cannot bare the dead silence anymore, so he opened his mouth and spoke.

“Happy birthday my love.” he said, as sat down on the chair beside Luhan’s bed. His hands reached forth until they met Luhan’s cold soft hand and held on to it. His eyes never left Luhan’s face and tears started gathering in his eyes. It was obvious that they were ready to flow down his cheeks.

“It’s been awhile you know, ever since I saw your beautiful eyes. They are just like your soul; so pure and clear. It’s a shame that the very last glance I looked at them, they were contaminated with blood, just like the rest of your face and your body.” He sighed while painful memories of the car accident rushed to his head. 

 

 


 

 

He was running to his baby deer across the street while calling out Luhan’s name. When Luhan turned around to face him, the usual smile did not appear on his face but instead they were filled with fear. The next thing he knew is that Luhan rushed towards him as if he was racing in a marathon. Instead of being pulled into a hug, Luhan gave him a hard push; he fell backwards, landing on his back. He was shocked by Luhan’s actions, and his brain malfunctioned due the hard hit on his head and he felt dizzy.

The sound of tires scratching the ground and the sound of people chattering magnified in Sehun’s head.

After regaining the strength of pulling himself up from the floor, he started to look for Luhan. Luckily, he was just lying beside him in the middle of the road. He went over to hug him but he felt something warm leaking out of Luhan’s body.  Although Luhan was dead silent, he still managed to keep an angelic smile on his face. His eyes were shut just like his lips and his face was a lot paler than what it looked like a second ago. Sehun let go of Luhan’s body and saw the blood pouring out of him.

“Oh my god Luhan, please look at me! Please open your eyes and keep them locked to mine okay? I’ll get you to a hospital soon okay? Just open your eyes and keep them open. Someone call an ambulance, please. Can’t you see he’s bleeding!?” Sehun cupped Luhan’s face in his hands but accidentally smeared blood all over his face.

“No, please. Luhan, stay with me.” He shouted, but there was no reply.

For that entire moment, Sehun felt like his head went blank. Sounds faded from his ears and his vision began to blur. He just knelt there and froze. Even when the ambulance came, he hasn’t snapped out of the shock yet. His mind contained nothing but the idea that Luhan was hit by a car to save his selfish boyfriend, on his birthday. Guilt rushed over him like crazy, but there was nothing he can do. 

 

 


 

 

When they arrived at the hospital, Luhan was immediately sent into the emergency room to stop the bleeding. Sehun, on the other hand, just sat behind the closed-door and wished that if was him in there instead of Luhan.

After spending hours staring at the emergency room door, Sehun finally remembered to give Luhan’s parents a call. By the time they arrived, the red light on the emergency room dimmed; Luhan was pushed out on the bed with doctors and nurses accompanying him. Sehun and Luhan’s parents rushed over to the doctors and questioned about Luhan’s current condition.

“The patient is fine for now. The bleeding stopped and his body is recovering.”

“Wait, what do you mean by ‘for now’?” Sehun questioned.

“You see, prior to the accident, he wasn’t in the finest mood and from what I’m seeing, he has no desire to live.”

“What do you mean? What are chances that he will survive?”

“We’ll have to see about that. Keep an eye on him for now and if he doesn’t wake up within the next 48 hours, call me.” The doctor replied, and then he walked into his office.

 “Sehun, wake up. You have been here for a whole night already.  Let me take care of Luhan okay? You should get some rest too. Luhan won’t be happy if he wakes up seeing you like this.”

Sehun stood up and shook his head. He extended his long legs and arms and straightened his long bent back.

“How long has it been?” he asked.

“Only 15 hours, I can take care of Luhan for now and you can go home and fresh up a bit Sehun.”

“No it’s okay. I want to stay with him until he wakes up. You and father-in-law can get brunch together and leave Luhan to me.”

“Are you sure? You haven’t eaten anything ever since last night. We’ll bring something for you then. You can have your time alone with Lulu.”

“Thank you,” Sehun replied with a weak smile.

Mr. and Mrs. Lu went out the door and closed the door behind them with a sigh.

“Luhan,” Sehun began, “please don’t do this to me.”

“I was so stupid to start an argument, not to mention that yesterday was you birthday. Please forgive me. I was just being immature and un-thoughtful. It was your birthday and I left you by yourself. Only if I was careful enough when I was crossing the street… then none of this would happen. None of this.” He held Luhan’s pale, soft hand into his own. His head was down and he was voice was teary. Every third word he said was almost silent and he struggled to fight back his tears.

“I can’t let you see me cry.” the young man said, “You are going to wake up any second now and I can’t let this destroy your mood.”

Sehun remained in the same position (with Luhan’s hand in his) while trying to choke back the tears, until he heard a knock at the door.

It was a nurse that is doing a check up on Luhan. She took his temperature and checked his heart rate.

“Everything seems fine; we’ll see how he is doing when the entire 48 hour has passed.” the nurse said. Then she left, leaving Sehun and Luhan all to themselves again. 

 

 


 

 

“Love is just like the weather, it’s unpredictable, immediate, and destructive, yet it can be calming, comforting, and heartwarming. But, it can never be just one or the other; it’s constantly switching between the options.” This is Sehun’s favorite quote before he met Luhan. Ever since they went out, it switched to a quote from a book recommended by his baby deer. “Love is like puzzle pieces, what one is lacking can be filled with what the other has. However, there is only one that fits in the missing spot perfectly.” When Sehun first read this quote, he felt like it described Luhan and him perfectly. Luhan was short, he was tall; Luhan was out-going and talkative; he was rather quiet and introverted. Luhan was really sensitive and caring, while Sehun was the complete opposite. This, however, was the main cause for their arguments. Luhan would be too sensitive and start over-thinking things but Sehun cannot relate or understand due to his lack of sensitivity.

The same goes for the argument they had at that bubble tea shop. Luhan over-thinks that Sehun is cheating on him but Sehun misinterprets it as a lack of trust.

Now that Sehun thinks about this, it seems rather childish, the argument the whole concept of trust. He feels guilty for not realizing that Luhan was always paranoid. Sometimes he even wondered why couldn’t he be more sensitive. If he wasn’t as careless, Luhan wouldn’t be lying here in a coma, nor would him and Luhan’s family be this miserable. But it’s all too late. That person lying in bed in front of him is the reason why he is still alive.

He should have taken tons of pictures with him when Luhan requested instead of turning them down with the same, lame excuse he used. The only objects that contains memories of him and Luhan is the note they left for each other on their first date, and that ancient picture taken at the party thrown for Luhan after winning his first soccer game.

“Dear Sehunnie, although this is our very first date, I just want you to know that I will always love you and take care of you until no matter what fate has planned for us in our journey of life. 사란해요–xoxo, ur baby deer”

Although this is a very simple message, it is, indeed, very cute and heartwarming for Sehun. It’s almost like an amulet, a very special amulet from his angel, Luhan, who will protect him no matter what. It also contains the very little hope that still exist in Sehun’s world of despair and guilty: the hope that Luhan will wake up and life will continue on as it did before.

As for that 48 hours, it got extended to eternity just like their love.