Favors

Chasers

"Lynn and I will pass," Nyx said as the two of them packed up their stuff. "See everyone later!"

Lynn almost looked like she was about to protest, but she dutifully followed Nyx towards the door. 

They looked at Kyuhyun for a moment, as if asking if he wanted to join. Kyuhyun looked at Donghae and then back at them, shaking his head. Lynn shrugged, mouthing "suit yourself" before exiting the school. Kyuhyun turned his attention back to the volleyball player who was explaining the game. It was simple, really - she would make a sculpture out of whatever items they had available and everybody else would try to guess who it was, and why. There was a trick, of course, but about half the volleyball team (and none of the soccer team) knew it.

The player built a shape out of sweatshirts and sports bags, and then presented it to the audience. "Who is this?" she asked, cheerily.

Everybody made random guesses, trying to point out features such as "the logo is pointing at Kibum!" or "The strap is closest to Eunhyuk!" Eventually, someone would guess the person right, but very few people could understand what, exactly, was going on.

A few rounds in, Donghae's mouth stretched into a grin. "I got it." He said. He did a sculpture to demonstrate, and the girls who knew the game dubbed him correct. 

"What? How in the world?" Kyuhyun looked at Donghae. 

Donghae grinned, "Kyuhyun, you're into technology and science, right? This kind of thing is harder for people with minds like yours." He sat back and leaned against Kyuhyun, laughing along as people tried again and again to figure it out. Kyuhyun was beginning to feel a lot more pressure to get it right, his competitive spirit warming his hands as he carefully observed each sculpture the girls made. 

Donghae brightened at an idea, and then leaned over to whisper in Kyuhyun's ear, "Let's make a bet - if you don't manage to figure it out within the next...ten rounds, you have to do me a favor. Otherwise, I can do you a favor." 

Kyuhyun pondered for a moment. Adding connsequences had always made him better at things (at least, in video games). Before he could voice his approval, one of the volleyball players interrupted.

"Hey! Don't tell him the answer," she whined.

"Don't worry, I'm not! Right, Kyuhyun?"

Kyuhyun nodded, "I'm still totally lost." 

"Good." She went back to paying attention to the rest of the game.

Kyuhyun turned to Donghae with a grin. "You're on," he whispered back. 

Ten rounds later, Kyuhyun was still completely flummoxed, and the fact that all of the people around him - people that he thought he was superior to - were understanding it just served to wrack up his nerves more. As the new round started, Donghae grinned and hugged Kyuhyun's arm. "Looks like I win."

Kyuhyun sighed, losing interest as everybody else continued to play. "Alright, what do you want?"

Donghae thought for a while, "Mm, I don't wanna decide right now. I'll figure something out when I need it."

"Alright, but just so you know, if you ask me any favors at all, I'm counting it as the favor I owe you."

Donghae pouted, "Booo, fine, be that way."

Kyuhyun grinned and kissed his boyfriend on the forehead as he went back to watching the game. Even if nothing was on the line anymore, he knew he wouldn't be able to just let it go. Finally, ten rounds later, he figured it out, groaning along with all of the others at how stupid the rule was.

As everybody cleaned up the mass of items that had become their sculpting materials, Kyuhyun leaned back against the wall, his hand on Donghae's. The soccer player was asleep, his head resting in Kyuhyun's lap.

Kyuhyun closed his eyes as well, a small smile forming on his lips. Suddenly, he felt something coming from in front of him - another one of those energy spheres. He was just getting used to Kibum's. This one was faint, barely noticeable, but it send chills down Kyuhyun's spine. Sensing an "evil" power was just as different as everyone had told him it would be. 

Do I have to...chase that?

Suddenly, it disappeared. Kyuhyun was partly grateful that he didn't have to deal with that unsettling feeling anymore, and partly worried - Jessica had said that if he encountered anything like that, he would have to go after it. How would he do that if it had disappeared? He guessed that it had walked out of his range - perhaps if he tried hard enough, he could reach a wider range?

He furrowed his eyebrows and concentrated and opening his senses up, though his body was still a bit resistant to the change. He was almost hoping that he would feel another source of energy and the magnetism that surrounded Lynn, which might indicate that someone was already after the being he sensed.

Nothing.

Hiding a frustrated groan, Kyuhyun opened his eyes and looked down at Donghae, who had stirred a bit from his slumber. "Good morning, sleepyhead."

Donghae smiled up at Kyuhyun, "Good morning!"

"Did any ideas for a favor come up in your dreams?"

Donghae thought about it for a minute, "Well, I was walking around an aquarium, and then I was in the tank with no equipment on and it was a tank full of sharks! But that's not really something you can help me with now." His phone buzzed. "Ah! Gotta go, mom's here! Bye, Kyuhyun!" With a quick peck on the cheek, he grabbed his stuff and ran into the rainy outdoors, ducking into his parents' car.

Kyuhyun grimaced at the weather, not wanting to walk to the bus stop and wait in the rain. He looked down at his phone and texted Lynn instead.

"Just felt something weird, and definitely evil, but it disappeared. What do I do?"

"Don't worry! These things don't have to be rushed. If that's the being that the overworld wants you to deal with, you'll encounter it again in time."

Kyuhyun sighed. He was really hoping to get some sort of adjustment period before being thrown into the fray, but Lynn had made it sound like they were in dire need of...whatever they were called, chasers?

His phone buzzed again, and he opened it up to see another text from Lynn.

"Wanna come join us on the mission? You can have a water proof suit~"

Kyuhyun immediately wanted to decline, but he didn't really want his soul in compromise - or whatever would happen if he didn't do his job properly. Bitterly, he texted his agreement. Lynn arranged for him to meet them at the other side of the school.

Lynn and Nyx arrived with a rain coat - the "water proof suit" - and five plastic bags for Kyuhyun to put his phone and other valuables in. Kyuhyun didn't know why he expected anything fancier than that.

After he suited up, they were on their way out of the school. 

"Alright, so the first thing - the reason we're called chasers - is that we all have super human speed! Woot! So, go ahead and try it out!" Lynn said cheerily, zipping around Kyuhyun in a circle. She was barely visible, and only because he knew to look for her. It was like something out of a certain bad vampire novel.

"Um...how?"

Lynn rolled her eyes, "You just do it!" 

Kyuhyun looked at Nyx for help. She shrugged. "I don't know, I didn't have to deal with this. I just have to shift." Kyuhyun was really beginning to wish that Jessica had assigned him a real mentor.

He looked over at a tree, closing his eyes and lunging forward. He went about as fast as a somewhat frightened turtle.

Lynn frowned, "Hmm...try...I don't know, bending your knees more?"

The two of them ordered Kyuhyun around with about a dozen body adjustments before Nyx reached an epiphany.

"Ah! You have to think about the Peregrine Falcon! That'll work." She spoke the words completely seriously, though she had an uncharacteristic amount of excitement in her tone.  

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes at the ridiculousness of the suggestion, but decided to try it anyways. The two of them would never let him hear the end of it if he didn't. 

For half a second, he felt the wind whip against his face. When he could see straight again, he had reached the tree that he was originally aiming for. Nyx and Lei were cheering in the background, and the two of them caught up with him - but with no superhuman speed this time.

"Yay, we did it! So, all chasers have one other power, but it's different for everybody, so you'll figure it out soon enough."

Kyuhyun wasn't listening, still wondering how in the world imagining the Peregrine Falcon worked. Sure, it was the world's fastest animal, but he had moved much faster than it could. Why would a completely real animal have anything to do with supernatural creatures, anyways?

Lynn and Nyx were still explaining, and Kyuhyun did catch a few pieces of it before they announced, "Let's do this!" and headed on their way.