Partners

Chasers

"Why are you laaaaate?" One of the players whined to Kyuhyun after he had finished speaking to their coach. While Coach Green was perfectly fine with his late arrival, the girls were beginning to pester him. Thankfully, the coach didn't make Kyuhyun put up with their griping for very long before bringing their attention back to her. 

On a normal day, Kyuhyun would be slightly irritated by their antics, however joking they were, but the familiar feeling of emanating energy was distracting him, as well as...something else. The energy was coming from Nyx, whom he kept stealing glances at. Thankfully, the waves coming out of her were fairly neutral, so he wouldn't have to try and...hunt her, or whatever it was.

What piqued his interest even more was a different sort of feeling, coming from Lynn. It wasn't the energy that he had now grown to recognize as a signifier of a mythical creature, but rather some sort of magnetic tension, like there was some sort of magnetic force between them. 

One of the two must have noticed his preoccupation, because they approached him after practice on the other side of the gym, in the closet where all of the equipment went after they put them away. 

"Kyuhyun! Have the heavens called upon you to perform their holy duties?" Lynn asked, gesturing dramatically, "Don't lie to me - I know you feel it too. Since you're new, I'll explain. I'm a Chaser, like you! You can tell when there's another Chaser around because of the magnetic bond. Usually, you're assigned to a mentor and kind of eased into the process, but...it looks like they've been kinda hasty to pick you up. Well, I can kind of be your mentor! Not officially, of course, but like, you know. Show you the ropes. That kind of thing."

"Right," Kyuhyun said, trying his best to follow Lynn's blabbering. "And...Nyx is...?"

"I'm her partner. Sometimes, we get bored," Nyx said simply. "We, as in, non-humans." 

"That's not what I meant, and you know it."

Lei laughed a bit, "Kyuhyun! It's rude to just go around asking personal questions like that. Anyways, if you pay a bit closer attention, you'd be able to tell! Well, maybe not, because you don't know what kinds of beings are out there yet, but just give it a try - you might be able to come to some sort of conclusion." 

Kyuhyun grimaced, "Actually, I've been trying to ignore the weird energy emanations the entire day, and I don't really plan on stopping."

"Don't be such a stickler for modern science," Nyx grumbled, "You're stuck with it now, so get over it."

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow, "What do you mean, stuck with it? What happens if I just ignore it?"

Lynn and Nyx exchanged a glance. "It's not really possible. If you feel an evil being that they want you to get ride of and you ignore it, you'll start getting weird symptoms, kind of similar to addiction withdrawal symptoms. It's not pretty. Don't do it. Don't even try, actually," Nyx warned. 

"...Fine," Kyuhyun sighed in frustration, wishing he could go back in time to tell himself not to follow the instructions of that damned text. From the way Nyx and Lynn were talking, they probably would have tracked him down anyways. Then again, they did mention that the overworld was being hasty - perhaps they had just sent out texts to all eligible bachelors and hoped one would be dumb enough to show up. 

Well, no use crying over spilled milk. Kyuhyun closed his eyes and focused on the energy emanating from Nyx. Suddenly, it multiplied, as if Nyx had been holding it in and was just letting it fly free. It flowed easily in the air around her, flexible and fluid. He voiced his observation out loud, but a humming sound interrupted him. As he focused more and more on the energy, he heard  "You have...some sort of connection to animals?" 

He opened his eyes to see Lynn and Nyx shrug to each other. "Close enough!" Lynn announced.

"I'm a shifter," Nyx explained, "I can shift my body parts to become animal-like for a period of time, depending on how many parts I'm shifting and how much I train. For example." She looked down at the floor in concentration, and when she looked up again, Kyuhyun noticed that her irises had become a glowing shade of amber, and her pupils had become tall and thin, like a cat's. They darted around carefully as she seemed to adjust to whatever new images she must be seeing with her beastly eyes, before fixating on Kyuhyun. 

Kyuhyun found that he was gritting his teeth and staring in awe of Nyx's power. Before either of them could make fun of his dumbfounded expression, he pulled himself together. 

"Hey, Kyuhyun! You here?" A voice came from outside. Nyx's eyes quickly changed back to normal and Kyuhyun stepped out of the closet to find Donghae, his hair wet and his shirt soaked. "What? What are you guys doing in the closet together? This seems shifty..." he said, squinting his eyes suspiciously at the trio. 

Lynn shrugged. "Oh, we were just bullying him. Taking his lunch money, stuff like that. Don't worry, nothing scandalous," she winked at Donghae before the two of them tweedle-dee and tweedle-dummed back to the main side of the gym to get their stuff together.

"You're wet." Kyuhyun noted. 

"It started raining really hard," Donghae whined, "It was bright and sunny just like, three hours ago."

Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow, "Yes, that's how the weather works. It changes."

Donghae pouted, "Don't be mean to meee." He flailed his arms around a little bit before tackling Kyuhyun, pulling him tight and, subsequently, sharing the rain water. 

"Aggh! Gross," Kyuhyun growled, trying to push the soaked soccer player away, but his struggle only served to get more of his shirt wet. "Get offff."

"Ugh, fine," Donghae said, pouting as he took Kyuhyun's hand and pulled him back outside. Kyuhyun would have been at least a little bit fazed by the affectionate gesture, but he was distracted by the presence of yet another center of energy nearby. 

They exited the gym and entered the hallway, where a group of wet soccer players were drying off under the hand dryers in the boy's bathroom and the girls volleyball players were trying to find places to site that weren't already wet. It was much too dark to be mid-afternoon outside, and thunder cracked while the rain poured. A few of them eyed Donghae's hand in Kyuhyun's, while others were a bit less discreet about it. The two of them had to fend off "OMG YOU GUYS ARE TOGETHER NOW??" and quite a few related comments.

The other source of energy was coming from within the boy's bathroom, but there were too many people in there at the moment for Kyuhyun to figure out who, exactly, it was. Instead, he sat down with Donghae, trying to find a dry spot even though the water on Donghae had already left his shirt and shorts half soaked. Their hands were still linked together, as Donghae took most of the brunt of answering everyone's questions about how they came to become a couple.

Soon, the boys' soccer team had finished drying off and were coming out of the bathroom. Kyuhyun took the chance to focus in on the energy that he felt emanating from one of them. He leaned over onto Donghae's shoulder, the support making him feel just a tad bit more comfortable with everything that was going on around him, and closed his eyes.

The energy was neutral as well, but more erratic than what he had felt coming out from Nyx. In addition, it seemed smoother, almost seductive in a way. 

"Aww, are you sleepy?" Donghae asked, "Is it because I made you wake up early?" 

Kyuhyun opened his eyes, looking straight in the direction of the energy and seeing Kibum. Before anyone could notice his staring at the well-known player, he turned back to Donghae, who was looking at him with the most adorable puppy dog eyes.

"Don't worry, I was already awake before I saw your text," Kyuhyun reassured him, wishing that he could just enjoy spending time with Donghae. School was about to start soon - how was he going to balance...whatever it was that he was supposed to do...with school? 

Still, his curiosity about Kibum got the best of him. He looked over at Lynn and Nyx, who had effectively won one of the few completely dry spots in the hallway, caught their eyes, and glanced over at Kibum. They got what he was trying to ask immediately, and his phone soon buzzed.

"Incubus. Chaotic Neutral. No big deal." 

Well, Kyuhyun supposed that did explain a lot. He was also beginning to think that he should have demanded some other prize for winning the bet, because he was fairly certain that Lynn wouldn't get together with someone she clearly knew to be an incubus.

Suddenly, one of the girl's volleyball players stood up, "Hey, since we're all stuck here for a while, wanna play a group game?"