Splash

Chasers

 

"...What a moron." Kyuhyun stared at Donghae's face for a bit, putting the cap back on the green washable marker and tossing it next to the scorekeeping machine. Donghae moved in his sleep, rubbing his face against his arms and causing Kyuhyun's lovely drawings to smudge. "...You..." Kyuhyun sighed, "Ah, whatever." He took a moment to decide whether to redraw some of it, but his thoughts were interrupted by the whistle of the referee as his school's team won the last point of the last game.

The whistle was both long and loud enough to wake Donghae up, a task that Kyuhyun had deemed impossible about twenty minutes ago. Perhaps there was something about high-pitched noises that could wake people up more easily...

"Wah, did we win?" Donghae asked blearily, rubbing his eyes and stretching, nearly hitting Kyuhyun in the process.

"Yeah. Of course we won," Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, "Though I guess you wouldn't know, since you fell asleep. Dude, school hasn't even started yet. Why are you so tired?"

Donghae grumbled, "I still have to wake up kind of early for soccer."

"Yeah? I'm pretty sure volleyball actually starts their practice before you guys on most days..." Kyuhyun thought for a while, “Their practices start a nine. Don’t yours start at like, ten?”

"Shut up," Donghae yawned, "Ugh, they won? Lynn and I made a bet over whose record is gonna be better by the end of the season," Donghae complained, "So make sure you make them lose more often than we do. Sabotage them or something. Put something in their water."

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows, "That's...unlikely. They'd kill me before I thought about thinking about it."

"Good job~ Thanks, Kyuhyun~ Even though you missed so many points," Lynn said cheerily once the team had finished their little huddle. "Ah, Donghae actually let you draw on his face?"

"What?" Donghae and Kyuhyun said simultaneously, both looking genuinely confused by Lynn’s question.

Nyx came over, staring at Donghae for a long moment before saying, "It's smudged. That’s disgusting. You look stupid. Go wash it off."

"WHAT?" Donghae scrambled around for his phone, taking it out and using the camera app as a mirror, "...EUNHYUK!" He looked around for his best friend, who was casually playing games on the seat next to Kyuhyun.

"What? What happened?"

"Did you draw on Donghae?" Lynn patted him on the head.

"What? No! Why am I getting blamed?!” Eunhyuk said, quite offended, “It was Kyuhyun. Look, the marker is right in front of him.”

Donghae feigned a gasp of horror, “What? How could you possibly accuse Kyuhyun of such an action? He’s obviously innocent – you probably just put the marker there to frame him.” Afterwards, he laughed, taking Kyuhyun by the wrist, “Come help me wash it off, you jerk.”

“Ah, so it was Kyuhyun after all~” Lynn laughed as the two ran off, “See, I’m always right.”

Nyx whacked her. “Who the eff actually needs someone to help him wash marker off his face?”

 

“Should have known better than to fall asleep next to people…” Donghae muttered as he splashed the water on his face. Kyuhyun watched him, leaning against the wall and wondering why he had dragged him there to ‘help’ him. After a couple more splashes, Donghae looked up at Kyuhyun, “Is it gone?”

Ah, right. The mirrors in these bathrooms are on the other side of the sinks. Kyuhyun sighed. What genius decided to do it that way, anyways? It really made no sense. “You’re missing a couple of spots,” Kyuhyun pointed at a couple of places on his own face. Donghae nodded and splashed the water on his face once again, looking back up at Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun sighed, shaking his head. “Here, I’ll get it.” He cupped some water in his hand, splashing it on the parts of Donghae’s face that still had marker on it and rubbing it off.

“Oww~” Donghae complained.

“Don’t be such a wimp,” Kyuhyun grumbled as he moved on to the next green spot. “Two more,” he tried to rub the marker off a bit more gently this time, “Seriously, why is ‘washable’ marker so difficult to wash off…”

“You’re getting the water all over my shirt,” Donghae complained.

“…Oh shut up. Half of that was your own doing,” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes as he rubbed the last spot away. “There. Done.”

“Great. Do you have towel or something?” Donghae pulled out the collar of his shirt and looked inside it to see how wet his torso is.

“Your shirt is wet already. Just take it off. Nyx has a lot of extras.”

Donghae blinked for a few seconds, “Nyx? Is it gonna fit me? She’s so small…”

Kyuhyun shrugged, “The shirts they got from the school are all really oversized. You should be fine. If not, Lynn probably has some extras too, since they had to bring in all of their scrimmage shirts today.”

“Alright, cool.” Donghae slipped his shirt off and used it to dry himself off. “But…won’t it be awkward just walking out their shirtless like this?” He looked at himself in the mirror as he wiped his hair down as well.

Rolling his eyes, Kyuhyun sighed. “Seriously? No one cares. If anything, they’ll appreciate the eye candy. Don’t be so self-conscious.”

“Ah, okay, then,” Donghae slung his shirt over his shoulder and walked out of the bathroom. Back in the gym, the opposing team was packing up their stuff and their home team was putting the net away. Naturally, plenty of stares were attracted to Donghae when he walked in, and Donghae seemed strangely oblivious to it all.

“Damn, what are you doing strutting around like that?” Hazel joked, slapping Donghae’s shoulder lightheartedly. As Donghae explained, Kyuhyun went to find Nyx, who was turning the crank that lowered the net.

“Hey, Nyx, you have a shirt Donghae can borrow?” Kyuhyun asked.

Nyx tsked, “Oh, really? You’re going to deprive all of those poor girls of their eye candy by making him put a shirt on?” She laughed, “Yeah, come on, over here. Hey, Rose, can you take care of this?” Rose made a face, but complied.

Nyx ran over on her toes to where her stuff was, pulling out a white scrimmage shirt. “I need that back in three days.” She tossed it over to Kyuhyun.

“Got it,” he said as he caught the shirt, sneaking up on Donghae from behind and pulling the shirt over his head. “Here, you moron.”

“Aughh,” Donghae said in surprise, fumbling around until his arms managed to get through their proper holes. It was an amazingly difficult process.

“And hear the disappointment from all of the girls in the gym,” Nyx called in the driest tone possible. “Hey, you guys doing anything right now? Wanna go out to get bubble tea with us?”

Kyuhyun shrugged, “Sure, why not? I haven’t had bubble tea in a while.”

“I wanna come too!” Donghae exclaimed. “Eunhyuk, you owe me money!” He called over to Eunhyuk, who was over talking with the rest of the soccer guys.

Eunhyuk blinked and came down from the bleachers, “What?”

“We – uh, Nyx, Rose, and I – are going to get bubble tea, you wanna come?” Lynn asked.

Eunhyuk shook his head. “Can’t sorry. Oh, but here, Hae, the money I owe you.” He took a five dollar bill out of his pocket and handed it over to Donghae, then returned to the rest of the soccer players.

“What? They’re going to bubble tea?” Kyuhyun could hear some of the other soccer players from the bleachers.

“Hae, you brat, I wanna come too!” Kibum called from the bleachers, gathering his stuff up.

Donghae looked towards Lynn and Nyx, “Ah, sorry, is that okay?”

“The more the merrier~” Lynn said, “Lemme just go wash my hair out at the bathroom real quick. Be right back~” She ran off to the bathroom. Kibum and Siwon came down from the bleachers, and Kyuhyun presumed that they were all that were planning to join them for their little bubble tea outing.

Not long after, Lynn had come back, having washed her hair out and changed into her signature turquoise cami and white shorts. “Kay, let’s go~”

“…Did you really have to change?” Nyx asked, looking at her distastefully. She herself had just pulled on a pair of gym shorts over her spandex.

“Yes! I don’t like going out in volleyball gear. And especially not with my hair up,” she shook her hair out for emphasis, splashing a few droplets of water around.

Nyx shook her head, “You’re ridiculous. Okay, let’s go.” They said their goodbyes to the rest of the players and the group of seven walked out of the gym and into the hot summer sun.