Supernatural

Chasers

Normally, Kyuhyun should think that he knew better than to comply with a shifty text from an unknown number. Sometimes, though, his curiosity had a habit of convincing his logic to take a back seat and allow impulsiveness to reign his mind.

Thus, he found himself ascending the steps of a colorful parking lot. Each floor was painted with a different pastel and its floor number. P5, the top most floor, was known for being very empty most of the time. As a result, students found it to be the perfect place to hang out, despite the insistent “No Loitering” signs.

Once he arrived, he found the lot as quiet as usual. He rested against the wall next to the elevator, checking his phone for the time. Five minutes early.

He had nothing better to do than to practice singing to himself. That and look around for a potential escape route in case somebody was about to attack him or something.

One and a half songs later, Kyuhyun heard a faint humming noise. He turned off the music and looked around for the source of the sound. Suddenly, there was a crack in the air and a bright flash of light. When Kyuhyun recovered from the temporary blindness, he found a rather eccentrically dressed woman in front of him.

She had long, straight brown hair that reached around halfway down her almost . She was wearing a pale blue dress, the color of huckleberries that weren’t yet completely ripe, that covered her s, stomach, and hips. Kyuhyun wondered how the fabric managed to stay on – then again, he probably should have been wondering more about her sudden appearance.

“Hello, Kyuhyun,” she said, her voice sweet and melodic.

“Um. Hi. Um…”

“Jessica,” she provided. Her name seemed inappropriately normal.

“Right,” Kyuhyun said, as if that explained anything.

Jessica, bemused, decided to relieve him of his confusion – or, at least, try to. “I am a messenger from the overworld, here to grant you duty.”

“What.” Kyuhyun said flatly. ‘Overworld’ sounded like heaven, which he didn’t believe in. Clearly, he had fallen to the whims of some crazy lady with an interest in magic tricks. “Wait, like, heaven? I thought god was supposed to like, be against scantily clad women. At least, most of the Christians I’ve met have been.”

Jessica made a disgusted face. “Please. People have a way of misinterpreting our wills. As if we’d want crazy people -shaming women, instead of actually doing something good for the world.” She continued on a rant about how women should be able to dress and act however they wanted as long as they weren’t hurting anyone. Kyuhyun was rather surprised at how feminist the overworld ideology was, especially considering how Christians and Feminists often seemed at odds in his world.

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows and nodded. “Well, that makes the overworld just a tad better in my book.” He blinked, realizing that he was thinking as if this woman was actually speaking the truth and not just crazy. For good measure, he added, “Even though I’m still not sure it exists.”

Jessica frowned, “Hmm, that’s not right…” A small book appeared in her hand, and she flipped through the pages quickly. “Aha!” With a snap of her fingers, a small syringe appeared in the air next to her. “We’re very scientifick now. Our previous methods of doing this were…well, rather boorish.”

Before Kyuhyun could protest, the syringe came flying at him, injecting the clear liquid into his arm. “What the hell is wrong with…ugh…” he trailed off as his mind entered a haze. He stumbled slightly, but never felt himself hit the ground.

 

 

“You…you crazy…ah!” Kyuhyun’s eyes burst open and he found himself lying in his own bed, the sun just coming over the horizon. His headache faded, but a strange sort of energy remained, buzzing through his fingers.

There was a note on his night stand that flew over and unfolded itself.

“Hello, Kyuhyun! Sorry about that. Don’t worry, the syringe didn’t do anything weird. It just sort of awoke a power that you already had to detect supernatural creatures on earth. You also have some powers to extinguish any creatures with an evil alignment. Good luck!”

Kyuhyun glared at the note, as if he could force it to make more sense simply by looking at it. Before he made any progress, his phone buzzed. It was from Donghae.

“Wanna sing? 9:00AM”

Kyuhyun looked at the time. 8:00.

“Sure,” he texted back before getting all ready to go.

Kyuhyun’s mother took him to school, since it was right on the way to work. During the ride, Kyuhyun kept his eyes focused on his dashboard, half listening to his mom talk about how proud she was that her son was finally getting involved in extracurricular activities, half trying to ignore the strange…vibes…he was beginning to notice around him. There were sparks of energy coming from a few of the cars around him. Some of them felt benevolent, others felt neutral. At least, nothing felt malevolent, which Kyuhyun assumed was how he was supposed to identify the “evil”-aligned beings that Jessica had mentioned in her note.

School was even more intimidating to him – what if one of his classmates wasn’t…human? Or one of his friends? How would he tell them that he knew? How would they respond?

Thankfully, the school was still mostly empty. Kyuhyun walked to the music room, where Donghae was already sitting. Kyuhyun let out a sigh of relief as he noticed that no such aura was coming out of his crush.

They greeted each other and Kyuhyun escorted Donghae to the practice room. It was only then that he remembered what had happened the last time they were together.

The door shut behind them in the cramped practice room, and Kyuhyun the electronic piano. Donghae sat down next to him and rested his chin on Kyuhyun’s shoulder. Kyuhyun felt his face flushing as he fidgeted with the controls on the keyboard to find the perfect volume and sound. Donghae chuckled lightly as he felt his friend heating up.

“Donghae?” Kyuhyun finally asked, satisfied with the piano.

“Yes?”

“Are we…a thing?”

Donghae hummed for a moment. “Well, if we were, then your side of the bet wouldn’t mean much. And I’m not gonna let you pick a new reward, so… I don’t know, are we a thing?”

Kyuhyun held back his glare. "Hmm... Receiving a reward for winning a bet, or going out with you. That's a really hard decision." With that, he leaned over and let his lips meet Donghae's. Donghae's eyes widened for a moment, but he soon let them flutter shut as the two shared their warmth, the piano silent save for its electric hum.

Kyuhyun felt Donghae's hands sneaking up onto his shoulders and leaned in further. The two pulled each other close, broke apart for seconds, and then joined their lips again, their kisses exploratory as the two of them experimented with the other's tastes. 

Finally, they broke apart for good, their breaths just a tad heavier than they had previously been. 

"I'll take that as a yes," Donghae grinned, "Anyways, let's sing! I have practice sooon~" 

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes at how quickly his friend - no, boyfriend? - had shifted gears. Slowly, he began the introduction to a song that he and Donghae both new, closing his eyes and letting the notes flow through his fingers. Unfortunately, Donghae took this as an opportunity to take advantage of him.

"Augh!" Kyuhyun flinched away, laughing as Donghae's fingers skittered over his ribs. 

"Aha! You're ticklish," Donghae grinned cheekily. 

Kyuhyun glared at him, "I am so gonna kill you later... Actually, this is the perfect time. No one's around, anyways." He lunged for Donghae, trying to give him the same tickle treatment, but to no avail.

"I'm not ticklish," Donghae announced proudly.

Kyuhyun glared at him before moodily returning to playing the piano. He slipped up a couple of times, as he was ruminating over how he could get his revenge on Donghae. Still, Donghae barely noticed as he sang through the words. Soon, Kyuhyun joined him, being unable to think of a fitting form of vengeance on the dancer. He would figure it out soon enough.

Their voices were interrupted once in a while during their session as the two of them...distracted themselved with each other. They ended up with Donghae lying down on the bench in front of the piano, his head resting on Kyuhyun's lap. 

"Kyuhyun?"

"Hmm?"

"This is fun. I don't wanna go to practice." 

Kyuhyun laughed lightly, "What? I thought you were trying to become a starter for the team."

"Yeah...I don't think I can, though," Donghae said with a sigh.

Smiling, Kyuhyun patted his hair affectionately, "What are you talking about? You can definitely do it. Don't be so negative."

Donghae made a face, "Stop that! I'm just trying to make an excuse to stay here longer."

"Go to practice, you goof." 

Grumbling, Donghae lifted himself from the bench. "Alright, then. I'll see you after practice, Kyuhyun." With a quick peck on the cheek, Donghae pried the door open and went on his way to practice. Kyuhyun smiled to himself, playing a few jubilant notes on the piano, before packing up his own stuff to prepare for helping out at volleyball practice.