Contacts

Chasers

 

“What? You’re gonna manage for us?” Lynn blinked, head tilted, “Do you even play? …Bro, do you even lift?”

“…Gross. That was gross. Don’t say that ever again,” the shorter girl said. “I’m Nyx. But really, do you play volleyball?” Kyuhyun shook his head. “Then why…Ah, nevermind.”

“Hey Lynn! Nyx! Who’s this?” Another Asian girl came over from the bleachers. Really, was every person on this team Asian? “Oh hey, I saw you yesterday. You know Kibum or something, right?”

Kyuhyun nodded. “Yeah? Why?”

“Nothing. Kibum’s one of my brother’s best friends. My brother’s on the team, too.”

“Really? What’s his name?”

“Eunhyuk. You know him?”

“Oh, yeah, I’ve heard of him.”

“Speaking of soccer. Do they have practice at the same time again today? I think it’s going to rain,” Lynn tilted her head, “Wait. That doesn’t mean they’re gonna try to take over our gym, does it? They’re not gonna wear their outdoor shoes on it, are they?”

“No,they just cancel when it rains,” Eunhyuk’s sister said. Kyuhyun opened his mouth to ask her name – she would probably be useful, since Eunhyuk was apparently Donghae’s best from or something, but she interrupted before he said anything. “Oh, I’m Hazel, by the way.” She looked like she was about to say something else, but she was interrupted by the coach whistling for the team to come over and for practice to start.

Thus, Kyuhyun spent the rest of the practice dodging charging volleyballs and running back to the countdown timer controls to stop it before the scoreboard buzzed. It took significantly more effort than he had originally imagined – he was only really expecting to be running around filling up water bottles and bringing around towels.

Then again, it was probably a good thing he didn’t have to touch anyone’s sweaty towels.

After two hours and forty-five minutes of managing the madness and video gaming as much as he could between tasks, the coach called the team together and ended practice with a quick spiel. Once she had finished and they called a quick cheer, everyone went off to take the net down.

“Wahh, I’m tired, I don’t want to carry the pole back,” Lynn was complaining as Nyx was folding the net. “Kyuhyun~ You wanna carry this thing back?”

Kyuhyun looked at the pole that Lynn was leaning on. It didn’t look too heavy. “Sure,” he shrugged and walked over. Lynn removed herself from the pole, happily offering it to Kyuhyun. He grabbed onto the part where the crank went, and lifted.

Nothing.

“Wow. Okay, I have to ask for real this time. Do you even lift?” Lynn sighed, “Never mind. Go away, I’ll do it.” With that, she slowly lifted the pole out of the hole. She kicked the cap back down as she reoriented the pole and brought it back over to the back closet. “And that’s how you do it~” she said cheerily when she came back.

“…Showoff.”

“Hey, I don’t actually lift, either. You’re just weak~” Lynn said, bouncing slightly as they walked over to where everyone else had already started taking their gear off. “Anyways, why are you managing, anyways? Do you wanna learn how to play? We’ll teach you~”

Kyuhyun considered it for a moment. “I…think I might die.”

“You won’t~ I promise~”

“He probably will,” Nyx popped in. “Anyways, hurry up, I want to go out in the hallway. It’s way cooler out there.”

“Oh, yeah, I’m good.” Lynn picked up her stuff, wiping the sweat off of her forehead with her purple cami. “Hazel, come out when you’re done, kay~? Ah, Kyuhyun, you should come with us~ Are you going home?”

“I’m taking the bus.” Kyuhyun said, “So I can go home whenever.”

“Oh, well, you wanna come with us to watch the soc – Ah. It’s raining.” Lynn blinked as she opened the gym doors. A crowd of the outdoor athletes were sitting around, everyone calling their parents and such.”

“Nyx! Lynn!” Eunhyuk called and waved from where he was sitting with a group of soccer guys. Kyuhyun recognized Donghae (of course), Kibum, and Siwon, and a couple of guys that he was pretty sure were juniors. “Did you practice just end?”

“Yeap~” Lynn sat down between Eunhyuk and Donghae, and Nyx sat down on the other side of Eunhyuk. “I would hug you guys, but I’m more than just a bit sweaty. You guys doing dance club this year?”

“Of course,” Donghae grinned. “Our practice was cancelled, so we were just thinking about dancing around for now. You wanna join?”

“Do you even need to ask?” Lynn grinned. “Speakers?”

“Already plugged in,” Donghae pointed to his speakers near the wall. Lynn got up in excitement, nearly knocking Kyuhyun over.

“Oh, whoops. Hey. Guys, this is Kyuhyun.”

“…I’m glad you remembered me.” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and sat down next to Kibum, “Please, don’t stall your dancing on my behalf.” He sat down next to Kibum, leaning against the wall.

“Hey man, what are you doing here, anyways?”

“Managing for volleyball.”

“Really? I thought you weren’t into that…?”

Kyuhyun smirked, “I have my reasons. Do they do that often?” He asked, looking at the three who were dancing.

“Eunhyuk and Donghae do, at least. I’ve never actually met that girl before. I’m guessing she’s a junior, too. I think I’ve seen her before,” Kibum said, his gaze fixed on Lynn.

Kyuhyun blinked at Kibum’s expression. “Interested?”

Kibum chuckled, “Only as much as I ever am.”

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, “Of course.” Kibum was known for being a player, and Kyuhyun had pretty much gotten used to the new girl he had on his arm every couple of weeks or so.

“How about you? Interested?” Kibum asked, his gaze shifting to Donghae for a split second.

“How could you tell.” Kyuhyun said with a smirk as he watched Donghae’ move to the rhythm, completely oblivious to his eyes – and, well, the eyes of every other athlete there, though their gaze probably had a very different emotion behind in from Kyuhyun’s.

“Hm. Well, good luck.” Kibum said. At that, Lynn had gone down to the floor in her dancing, and flopped after she decided it would take too much effort to get up. Donghae and Eunhyuk both laughed as she rolled over to where Kibum and Kyuhyun were sitting.

“Enjoying the show?” She said, smiling.

“Yeah. You’re really good,” Kibum said with one of his trademark smiles. Kyuhyun looked over at Lynn, expecting some sort of infatuated expression.

Hm. Nothing. Not even raised eyebrows. Lynn smiled. “Aww, thanks!” She patted him on the head, “Sorry. I would hug you, but I’m sweaty. So have a head pat instead. You know, you could learn how to dance if you join Dance club~ You’ll get all the girls.”

As if he doesn’t already.

“Yeah? How about you?”

Lynn blinked, “Well, you’ll have to come and see~”

“STOP IT. Whatever you said, you were fueling her ego. I could feel it from all the way over here,” Nyx said from over where she was talking to Siwon and two other guys that Siwon didn’t know. “You looked stupid.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

“Lynn, stop flirting,” Donghae said as he came over. “Hey, Kyuhyun, right? You’re managing for volleyball?” He gave Kyuhyun a lopsided smile before looking back at Lynn and sitting down next to her.

“I wasn’t flirting~” Lynn complained. Donghae laughed and looked back at Kyuhyun, waiting for a response.

“Yeah. I need to community service hours,” Kyuhyun said, locking eye contact with Donghae.

“Really? You still haven’t finished that? Dude, you had until middle school,” Donghae said.

Hm. There’s a bit of eye contact. Well, I guess that’s to be expected of guys.

“Hey, don’t brag,” Eunhyuk called from over where he was still dancing, “The only reason you finished was because your other school system had ridiculous community service expectations.”

Donghae laughed, “Ah, I’ve been caught.”

Suddenly, Lynn turned over and pulled herself up, “I’m bored~ I’m going back to dancing,” she said cheerfully.

Kibum checked the time on his cell phone. “Ah. I should be heading off now. Date. You need a ride or anything?”

Kyuhyun was so very tempted to accept. But he supposed it would be awkward if Kibum picked up his girlfriend first. Wait, girlfriend? Wasn’t he just flirting with…ah, nevermind. “No, it’s fine.”

“Right, then. See ya.” Kibum waved as he walked out the door.

Kyuhyun sighed as he left, “I need to get my license already…”

“Really? You don’t have one yet?” Donghae asked, tilting his head.

…He is so cute. “Well, I can basically drive. I just need to take the test, now. I’m…just lazy.”

Donghae laughed, “Ha, I haven’t actually gotten my permit yet, so you’re a step ahead of me. Though…you’re a senior, right?”

“Yeah.”

“…Okay, so maybe you’re not ahead of me. What a slacker,” Donghae teased.  “So…I’m sure Lynn has given you enough of this, but you know, you should join dance club.”

Kyuhyun laughed and shook his head, “Ha…no way. I have way too much stuff to do as it is.”

“Really? Like what?” Donghae asked.

“Well…drama crews. Chorus – “

“You sing?” Donghae interrupted, his interest obviously piqued. “Really? Sing something!”

“…Not right now…”

“Fine. Later, then. Promise?”

“Yeah. Sure.” Donghae smiled and gave Kyuhyun a playful punch in the shoulder.

“Are you gonna be here tomorrow? We can crash one of the practice rooms,” Donghae suggested. “Well, after practice, I mean.”

“Yeah, yeah, got it.”

Donghae smiled and got back up. “Great,” he said, “Then, I’m gonna go back to dancing. Later!”