Chapter Four: Angels and Knights

An Angel's Duty

As soon as the morning sun appeared over the horizon, Kyuhyun began to wander the streets in search of this mysterious person named Hyukjae. He had no idea where to start looking or what Hyukjae looked like. Something in his mind just told him that he would know who Hyukjae was when he saw him.

 

Kyuhyun was glad that whatever pain was in his head earlier had now disappeared. He knew that it had probably been Heechul’s influence and it seemed like he had finally broken free of it. Of course, his freedom had come at the cost of Sungmin but he vowed to find a way to bring him back soon.

 

While wandering the streets, Kyuhyun noticed a dark aura coming from an unfamiliar male. He didn’t have the ability to see auras before unless the angels revealed their true nature to him like Heechul and Sungmin did. He wondered if this new ability had something to do with Sungmin’s heart being deep asleep within him. He narrowed his eyes suspiciously and watched the male carefully.

 

He then noticed another male approaching the dark angel. This male was slightly shorter than his companion and had a very cold aura. Kyuhyun continued to watch them both warily and became a bit nervous as they approached him.

 

He turned to run when he sensed their evil intentions. He knew that he was in no state to confront a dark angel. After all, he was just human…

 

However, Kyuhyun couldn’t escape quickly enough. The dark angel quickly blocked his path and blocking the path behind him was the icy cold male.

 

He glared at the dark angel in front of him and demanded, “Get out of my way!”

 

“Hah, in your dreams. There’s no way that I’m going to let a knight slip through my grasp.” the dark angel said with a smirk. “Especially not one that has started the bonding process with a light angel.”

 

“I have no idea what you are talking about! Just leave me alone!” Kyuhyun shouted in frustration. He didn’t understand but he knew that he had to get away from these two.

 

“Hey Kangin. Isn’t this the knight that Heechul was trying to bond with for the longest time?” the icy cold male asked his partner, completely ignoring Kyuhyun’s plea.

 

“Now that you mention it Teuk, I think this is the exact same knight. Man, Heechul is going to throw a fit when he finds out that his precious knight has already started to get attached to another angel!” Kangin said as he looked at Kyuhyun disapprovingly and shook his head. “You know, it isn’t too late to reverse the process. Just give up on that light angel and bond with Heechul instead! It’s the least you can do for him after all these years he spent protecting you.”

 

“I want nothing to do with that idiot Heechul!” Kyuhyun growled angrily, “He has caused me nothing but trouble.”

 

“Well, then I guess you leave us with no choice. It’s such a shame really. I can sense that you have so much potential…” Kangin said with a sigh, “Teuk, now!”

 

Leeteuk nodded and then closed his eyes. Identical swords made of ice appeared in both his and Kangin’s hands. Kangin’s dark angel wings appeared at that moment as well.

 

They both rushed toward Kyuhyun, swords ready to attack him. If Kyuhyun refused to bond with a dark angel, they had no choice but to kill him. After all, they couldn’t risk him fully bonding with a light angel.

 

Kyuhyun saw the two approaching him and he closed his eyes. He braced himself for the attack that he knew was coming. However, when nothing happened, he opened his eyes once more.

 

He noticed that there was a shield of light protecting him. He stared in awe because the shield repelled both Kangin and Leeteuk. Kyuhyun knew in his heart exactly where this shield had come from. Kyuhyun touched his chest and whispered quietly, “Thank you Min.”

 

However, that thankfulness was short lived. As Kangin and Leeteuk attacked the shield, Kyuhyun could feel himself getting weaker. Sure, Sungmin’s abilities were protecting him but it could only last as long as Kyuhyun had energy for the ability to work. He needed to think of something fast before they broke through the shield.

 

Kyuhyun cursed as he saw the shield disappear. He was out of time and nothing had surfaced in his mind yet. Kangin and Leeteuk were both approaching him at a fast pace. He didn’t have any way out this time. He was completely defenseless and Sungmin wasn’t around to protect him anymore.

 

He lifted his arms over his head and closed his eyes, knowing that the end was near. “I’m so sorry Min...” he whispered as he braced himself for the attack.

 

However, instead of feeling pain like he expected, he heard the clang of swords hitting each other. He slowly peeked his eyes open and looked up to see two new males in front of him. These males were both holding swords made of fire and were holding off Kangin and Leeteuk.

 

Kangin glared at the new white winged brunette and growled, “Don’t interfere Donghae! This doesn’t involve you!”

 

“Oh, on the contrary, it does involve me Kangin. I can’t allow you to hurt this new knight, especially since he’s begun the bonding process with Sungmin.” the new male named Donghae stated in an overly protective voice.

 

Kangin continued to glare at Donghae but he knew that he was no match against him at the moment. After all, Donghae had fully bonded with the fire knight and everyone knows that fire trumps ice…

 

“Teuk, let’s get out of here. We’ll have to come back another day…” Kangin said as he backed off from Donghae.

 

Leeteuk nodded and slowly backed away from the fire knight he was fighting. Their ice swords disappeared and he flashed away with Kangin.

 

Donghae let out a sigh of relief as he watched Kangin and Leeteuk disappear. He then turned to Kyuhyun as his fire sword disappeared. “Sheesh, you have a knack for getting into sticky situations Kyuhyun. Sungmin definitely has his work cut out for him!”

 

Kyuhyun looked at the ground and just nodded. He was at a loss of words and didn’t know what to say. After all, what could he say? He could barely comprehend the situation at hand. All he knew was that these people called him a knight… Was that what he really was? He suddenly was snapped out of his thoughts by a loud, condescending voice.

 

“You couldn’t even protect Sungmin, could you? You’d better hurry up and awaken soon. Aish, what a worthless knight!” the platinum blonde standing next to Donghae said as he slapped his forehead with his hand.

 

Kyuhyun looked straight into the blonde’s eyes and glared into them. “What was I supposed to do? How could I protect Sungmin?!? I couldn’t even protect myself!!!” he said out of frustration. He knew that the blonde was right though. It was his fault that Sungmin was hurt in the first place…

 

“Calm down Kyuhyun. We’ll help you so don’t worry about it.” Donghae interrupted as he smiled at Kyuhyun sincerely. “By the way, I’m Donghae, a light angel. And this is Hyukjae, my fire knight.”

 

Kyuhyun looked at Donghae and nodded. He then turned to stare at the platinum blonde. He couldn’t believe that this was Hyukjae, the one that Sungmin had told him to look to for help. ‘Well,’ he thought to himself, ‘If I ever want to see Sungmin again, I guess I’ll just have to deal with this annoying guy…’

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: I just couldn't resist adding Eunhae (my OTP) into this story~ Haha, I hope you don't mind them being in this Kyumin fic! Man, I never knew writing could be so addicting till now. XD