Too Late (1/2)

A Prince and His Knight

 

         Too Late  

 

          “Let go of me!” The sound of someone’s growling voice and the rattling of keys in the lock of his door aroused Daehyun from his very light sleep on the ground.  Honestly, considering how cold and uncomfortable he was, paired with his worry and confusion over the events of last night, he was surprised he had managed to fall asleep at all.  He looked over and saw Junhong stirring as well as the door to their cell opened and Jongup as thrown in.

        “s,” Jongup growled again as he sat up.

        “We found your friend wandering around the forest.  Be glad that we have more important things to do today or you’d be in serious trouble.”  It was a guard they had never seen before who spoke this time.  He was skinny with a pretty face and all three boys wondered how he ever managed to become a knight.  The blond boy looked to his dark haired, scowling companion.  “Give them the uniforms, Zitao.”        Without a word the other boy tossed in three bags.  “You’ll wanna get dolled up for later.  You want to send your friend off looking your best, right?” The light hair boy sneered again.

        “Come on, Luhan,” Zitao finally spoke, “We have other affairs to attend to.”

        “Right, right.  Well, someone will come get you later for the ceremony.  Be dressed and ready by then.”  Without waiting for a reply, the two boys exited the cell and locked the door behind them.

        “How’d it go?” Junhong asked his friend immediately after the two guards’ footsteps had faded away.

        “I made it to the first checkpoint and two of Jiho’s men were waiting for us there,” Jongup started to explain.  “I told them what I could.  Luckily they didn’t seem too upset.  They said they’d report back to Jiho and that if we need help again to not be afraid to ask.”

        Daehyun sighed in relief.  He had been worried about whether or not they even had an ally in Jiho and even more so that he would be angry about them not showing up when they had been the ones begging for such extreme, last minute help.  He knew he’d owe the older, quirky boy a lot in the future.

        “So if we can just get to Youngjae and figure out what’s going on, then we can contact Jiho and try again?” Junhong asked.

        “It seems so.  I’m guessing by the fact that we’re all in here that you didn’t get to talk to Youngjae last night?” Jongup inquired as he glanced around the dingy cell.

        “They caught us before we even made it to the castle,” Junhong sighed in defeat.

        “Well, we still have a chance.  The ceremony’s this afternoon, right?  We can try and talk to him there.”

        Daehyun kept his gaze down, fiddling with the straw on the ground absent mindedly as he became lost in his thoughts.  Considering the circumstances, there was no way anyone was going to let them near Youngjae between now and the ceremony.  How were they going to talk to him before it was too late?  Junhong seemed to read his thoughts.

        “And even if we can’t get to him before the ceremony, we’re all moving in here, right?  Wasn’t that part of the agreement? So if we have to try again afterwards, then we will.  We can kidnap him and escape just the same, right?”

        “Except that if we’re found, then other countries would be bound to turn him back over if he’s actually married to Yongguk,” Daehyun clarified as he tossed the straw across the room.  “It doesn’t make it impossible, but it sure complicates things.”

        “Ok, so we make it our goal to talk to him beforehand.  There’s gotta be a way to get to him…” Jongup’s voice was full of faux enthusiasm.

        “Well, let’s go ahead and get ready, at least,” Junhong sighed, dusting himself off as he stood up and took one of the bags that had been thrown on the floor.

 

--------------------------------------------

 

        A knock on the door stopped the hand maids from their fussing over Youngjae’s face and hair.  Make up was taking longer than expected because of his red and puffy eyes.

        “May I come in?” a sickeningly sweet voice cooed as the door opened and Yongguk stuck his head in.  The girls all started giggling and nodding, ignoring their charge to whisper to one another.  “How’s my darling doing?”  All the girls broke into a fit of giggles again but Youngjae didn’t even have the energy to roll his eyes.

        “What do you want?” he huffed at the intruder, slumping in his chair as he looked in the mirror in front of him.  The handmaids had caked so much crap on his face he wasn’t even sure of who he was looking at anymore.

        “I just had a few last minute things to discuss with you.  Do you mind giving us a minute, ladies?”  He flashed his gummy grin at the girls and they all swooned before hurrying out the door.

        “What?”

        “Now, now, now.  Is that anyway to talk to your soon-to-be husband?” Yongguk chuckled.  He grabbed Youngjae’s chin in his hand and forced the younger boy to face him instead of looking in the mirror.  Youngjae glared as best he could through the layers of makeup and his swollen eyelids.  “No matter, I’ll have you trained soon enough,” Yongguk sighed as he dropped his hand.

        “You’re going to behave today, right?” Yongguk’s tone was as if he was talking to a child.  “You’re going to be happy and excited?”

        Youngjae shot him another glare in response.

        “Ok, maybe not happy and excited.  But you have to at least not be glowering at everyone and looking on the verge of tears, got it? That’s an order.  And you know what happens when you go against my orders.”

        Youngjae bit his tongue and forced himself to nod his head.  He didn’t have enough energy to fight at this very moment and he was still trying to think of any possible way out.

        “Good, good.  Also, I wanted to talk with you about that annoying trio of brats that are always following you around.  I know that my parents promised your parents that they could move and serve you here, but as per our agreement last night, I’m afraid that’s going to need to change a bit.  You understand, right?”

 

------------------------------------------------

        “Be good guests today and don’t ruin your friend’s special day,” Luhan growled as he, Zitao, and four other unknown guards marched the three boys toward the ceremony hall.  Daehyun growled as the tall guard behind him gave him a light jab with the knife had aimed at his back.  The chances of them talking to Youngjae had quickly degraded as they realized that they were going to be kept like prisoners during the whole event.

        “Why are you even taking us there if you’re so worried about us causing a scene?” Junhong snapped.  But he immediately gave a yelp of pain afterwards when his guard gave him a sharp warning jab.

        “Prince Yongguk’s orders.  We don’t question them,” the tallest guard, who had introduced himself as Wu Fan, explained.

        They made the rest of the short journey in silence and were led to the back of the hall to wait with the other servants.  Even though they were far from the aisle and the stage and surrounded by the guards, they could surprisingly see well enough.

        Eventually important dignitaries and guests from kingdoms all over the peninsula started to trickle in and take their seats.  After the seats became filled, the Bangs found their way in and Yongguk made his way up to wait at the very front.  A gong sounded to signal the start of the ceremony and everyone fell silent and stood as the doors at the back of the hall opened.

        First, Youngjae’s parents came in regally dressed in their finest clothes and jewels.  They walked arm-in-arm, waving at the guests as they made their way down the aisle and in front of King and Queen Bang.  There, each set of parents bowed to each other before taking their seats in the front row.  Once they were seated, Daehyun strained his neck to see the door where Youngjae would emerge from.          

It felt like forever, but Youngjae finally made his way out.  He was also dressed quite handsomely in a completely white uniform, pinned with various jewels, and his rarely used crown placed on top of his head.

        Daehyun’s mind went blank and his concerns momentarily dissipated when he saw how angel like Youngjae looked.  The only time he had seen him so beautiful was the night they had spent together.  He unconsciously made a step toward the boy, but his trance was broken by a sharp warning jab in his side.  He turned his gaze away from Youngjae to glare at Luhan who growled at the taller boy.  But the time he looked back, Youngjae was almost at the front.

        Yongguk gazed down the aisle and his breath hitched in his chest.  The boy coming toward him looked absolutely ethereal.  He glowed in white and Yongguk mentally praised the maids for their work on covering any signs that the young prince had spent the entire night crying.  Yongguk was especially pleased to see that Youngjae wasn’t scowling or glaring or even frowning.  He actually looked demure with his eyes cast down and his hands folded in front of him as he marched slowly forward.  Yongguk rubbed his chest, trying to figure out why exactly his heart was beating so fast.

                Youngjae finally reached the front where Yongguk and the kingdom official were waiting.  Yongguk offered his hand to the younger prince and felt a jolt when Youngjae placed his hand lightly on top.  Together they made their way in front of the official and stood facing each other.

                “We gather here today-“

                Daehyun craned his neck to see up at the front.  Even though he was far, he had seen the look Youngjae had had.   His stomach had dropped when he had seen the boy’s face- completely devoid of struggle or duress.  Does that mean… does he really want this? He debated with himself.  He didn’t want to believe it, but he couldn’t think of another reason.  Surely if his snarky, biting prince had been forced into this, then he wouldn’t have seemed so calm.  He would but putting up a fight.  In the past, whenever he was in need of help, he had always looked for his knights, but this time he hadn’t even raised his head, hadn’t spared a glance their way.  Does he not need saving? Daehyun shook his head, trying to dispel the ridiculous thoughts, but the gnawing feeling in the pit of his stomach wouldn’t go away.  He glanced over at Jongup and Junhong.  The boys looked equally confused and disturbed at the events going on.

                “And do you, Bang Yongguk, take Yoo Youngjae to be your lawfully wedded husband?  In sickness and in health?  For richer or poorer?  Until death do you part?”

                “I do,” Yongguk smiled, taking a gold band from Himchan who brought it to the front on a black satin pillow.  He raised Youngjae’s left hand and slid the ring effortlessly onto his ring finger.

                “And do you, Yoo Youngjae, take Bang Yongguk to be your lawfully wedded husband?  In sickness and in health?  For richer or poorer?  Until death do you part?”

                Say no, say no, Daehyun mentally pleaded as Youngjae faltered and paused.  Please don’t say it.

                “I do.”   Daehyun felt a painfully hard pounding in his chest as he watched Youngjae reach over to the black pillow, remove the gold band, and slip it onto Yongguk’s left hand. 

I failed.  I wasn’t able to save him after all. Daehyun felt tears welling in his eyes as he looked up at the love of his life, now officially married to someone else.

                “I know pronounced you married.  You may kiss.”

                The room erupted into polite applause as Yongguk gave a huge gummy smile, taking both of Youngjae’s hands into his, and pulling the teen forward in a chaste kiss.  Without anyone noticing, he dipped his head to the side afterwards and whispered in his ear, “You’re officially mine now.”

                Youngjae shivered at the tone.  Everything still felt unreal as Yongguk forced him to turn, keeping one hand in his, and face the crowd.  Honestly, he had been blanking out the entire time except for at the end when he knew he’d have to say something.  Now that he was facing the front and giving a small forced wave to the still clapping audience, his eyes scanned the room and locked in the on the back.  His heart sank as he saw Daehyun staring at him with disbelief and pain radiating through his eyes, obvious at even this distance.  He knew that he had hurt the older boy immeasurably but… Youngjae sighed to himself and forced his eyes away and back onto the crowd in front of him. 

Daehyun would one day be able to move on from this and forget about him.  He’d be able to find someone else to love, to marry, to start a family with.  Someone who wouldn’t make him give up everything he loves just to be with him.  Even if Youngjae would carry the pain of their separation in his heart forever, he knew Daehyun would eventually be able to move forward and be happy.  But if something ever happened to his family, he’d never be the same.

                Thus was Youngjae’s rationalization as he forced himself to take Yongguk’s arm and even compelled a small smile on his face.  The two made their way back down the aisle, waving and bowing to the guests and well-wishers as they moved to the banquet hall for the after party.

--------------------------------------------

                “A splendid ceremony, I must say!” King Bang toasted as the two sets of parents stood with their newly wedded sons. 

                “And don’t they just look wonderful together?” Queen Bang cooed as she sipped her champagne.  “I swear, you are just the cutest little doll.”  She pinched Youngjae’s cheek.  The prince wanted to smack her hand away, but stopped himself.

                “Yes, we’ll have to give the two a chance to settle into married life before finding an appropriate surrogate and starting a family,” King Bang continued on rather drunkenly.  “Since each of us only had one child, I think they must try to have as many as they can, don’t you?”

                “Ah yes, I think that would be splendid,” King Yoo answered.  Youngjae felt sick at the idea of ever having to take care of a child that had anything to do with Yongguk.

                “Well, darling, I hope you don’t mind, but we should be leaving as soon as the party ends,” Queen Yoo turned to address her son.  “We want you to get adjusted to your new life as soon as possible without us here getting in your way.”  Youngjae nodded solemnly.  At this point he didn’t care if his parents were here or not.  Nothing could ever make him feel better.  “But you’ll have the boys to help you get settled in,” his mother smiled once more.

                “Actually, about that-“

                “Boys!  Come over here!” Queen Yoo waved over to her son’s trio of friends.  Queen Bang bristled as she watched them start over, but bit her tongue.

                “Yes ma’am?” Jongup asked once the three were there.   Daehyun desperately tried to make eye contact with Youngjae but the prince averted his gaze immediately.

                “I just wanted to talk about you helping Youngjae to settle in-“

                “Mother, I need to say something about that,” Youngjae quickly interrupted.

                “Yes, dear?”

                “I decided…” Youngjae stopped, unable to get the words out.  But a pointed jab in the side from Yongguk’s elbow made him continue.  “I decided that I don’t need Daehyun and Jongup here.”  All three boys opened their eyes wide in shock.  “There are more than enough knights here and you should use them back home.” Youngjae forced the words out quickly, knowing that he wouldn’t be able to continue if he stopped again.

                “Are you… I… why…Are you sure, dear?” Queen Yoo stammered in her confusion.  Youngjae nodded his head, unable to say anything else.  “What about Junhong?”

                “Well, we’re short on male servants, so I think it’s best that he stay,” Yongguk stepped in for Youngjae, seeing the sick look on the younger boy’s face.

                “Well, alright, honey… if you insist…” The queen couldn’t understand what had come over her son.

                “Yes, I think it’s best this way,” Queen Bang interceded.  “We really just don’t need any more knights running around, creating a fuss.  But we can put the servant to good use.”

                Daehyun tried desperately again to meet Youngjae’s eyes.  What was going on?  Did he really not want him around?  He had thought earlier that he would never be able to feel worse than he did watching the ceremony.  But he had proven himself wrong.

                “Youngjae!” Junhong finally broke.  “What the hell is wrong with you?! What’s going-“ But Junhong’s question was cut off but a sharp backhand to his face from King Bang.  He crashed to the floor, hand instantly coming up to hold his bloody cheek.  The many rings on the king’s hand had cut his face.  Jongup growled and made to move towards the king but a knife placed dangerously close to his side stopped him and he looked over to see Zitao glowering down at him in warning.

                “I don’t know what kind of castle you run back in Baekje,” the drunk king spat.  “But here our servants do not speak out of turn and they most certainly do not speak to the royal family in such a manner.  I see you need to be taught your place, boy.”

                “Himchan,” Yongguk barked and the dark haired male appeared from seemingly nowhere.  “Father, please let Himchan take care of him.”

                “I will teach him well, your majesty.”  Himchan sent a smug smirk to Jongup before hungrily eyeing the tall blond sprawled out on the floor below him.

                “Fine.  Take him away from my sight this instant,” the king ordered.  Himchan bent down, grabbed Junhong under one of his arms, and forced the young boy to his feet.  With a last teasing smile back at the steaming knight, he led the boy away.

                “Well, I think this is enough excitement for one evening,” Queen Bang cut through the tension, “Why don’t you two bid everyone your thanks and then head on upstairs.”  Yongguk and Youngjae nodded, giving curt bows to everyone before heading to the front to make their departing announcement.  “And boys,” the queen turned to Wu Fan, Luhan, Zitao, Chen, Xiumin and Yixing, “please these two boys back to the Yoos’ carriages and make sure they stay there until departure.”  The six boys bowed and pushed the reluctant knights back towards the servants’ door.

--------------------------------------------

                “Let go of me, you bastard!” Junhong growled as Himchan dragged him down the hallway.  He twisted his arm and managed to break the older boy’s grip, but his freedom didn’t last long.  In a rage, Himchan pushed him against the wall; Junhong’s back crashing painfully into the stone, and pressed his forearm to the taller boy’s neck.

                “Now listen to me, you little ,” he snarled through closed teeth.  “You have one of two options.  First, you can do what I say.  This means obeying me completely without any of your snarky attitude.  In exchange, I’ll make sure your life here is pleasant.  You’ll share my room and become my personal servant.  I’ll feed you the same meals as me and keep your work to a minimum.  Or, you can become a house slave.  Remember that wonderful cell you stayed in last night?  That’ll be your new home.  And I’ll make sure that you get fed scraps and are worked to the bone until you can’t feel your own limbs anymore.”  Himchan loosened his grip on the boy, but still stayed uncomfortably close.  “So, what do you say?”

                It only took Junhong a second of looking at the older boy’s sneer before he gathered all the spit he could muster and hocked it directly into the older boy’s face.  “Go to hell.” 

                Himchan saw red as he slammed Junhong into the wall once again.  “JONG IN! KYUNG SOO!” He screamed.  Immediately two knights came rushing toward him.

                “Yessir!”

                “Take this brat to the dungeons and lock him in there.  No one is to let him out or to take him food or water unless I command it.  Is that understood?!”

                “Yessir!” They saluted and immediately grabbed the fallen teen under the arms, forcing him to his feet and dragging him down the hallway.

----------------------------------------------------------

                “You did good today,” Yongguk smiled as he led Youngjae down a labyrinth of hallways, leaving the still loud party behind them.  “You even had me almost convinced that you were there willingly.”

                “Yeah, well, it’s not like I had much of a choice,” Youngjae snapped, jerking his arm free from the older man’s grip.  Yongguk scowled as he noticed the grimace returning to Youngjae’s face now that they were alone.  He’d be lying to deny that a part of him had wanted to believe that Youngjae was there for something other than his blackmail.  That maybe this could turn into something more than force.  Apparently he was wrong.

                “We’re here,” he barked as they reached an elaborately designed door.  He unlocked it and pushed it open, motioning for Youngjae to go in first.

                Youngjae did so and was instantly amazed.  He had thought the guest room was nice, for it had been nicer than his own bedroom at home, but it was a barren closet compared to Yongguk’s room.  They made their way first through the sitting room, which was decorated in bright tapestries, floor to ceiling windows, and multiple couches, sofas and chairs.   It even sported a large oak desk and a mini library that scaled to the ceiling.  It actually had a warm, cozy feel to it and Youngjae couldn’t help but imagine how nice it would be to curl up in the window seat, bathing in the sunlight as he lost himself in one of those books.

                Yongguk pushed him through the room to the door on the far side.  The door matched the one into the sitting room and he pushed it open.  This was apparently the actual bedroom and the feeling couldn’t have been more different than the sitting room.  It was dark, black curtains hanging from all the windows.  All decorations were gothic in nature and gave Youngjae an eerie feeling.  The humongous bed in the middle had bedding that matched the walls and curtains- deep blood red and black.

                 “Like it?” Yongguk smirked from behind him.

                 “It’s so… creepy…” Youngjae shivered, feeling cold and scared.

                 “Well, it’s your home now, so you better get used to it.”  Youngjae glanced over and noticed that all of his luggage had been moved into the room.

                “Actually, that bed is a wedding present from my parents.”  Youngjae felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand up as Yongguk’s breath ghosted over it.  “I broke my last one…playing a bit too roughly.  So you and I will get to break this one in to consummate our marriage.”  Before Youngjae could answer he felt two strong arms wrapping around his waist.

-------------------------------------------

Author’s note:

Hello all!  How are you liking the angst so far?

IMPORTANT!  READ ME!

The next chapter will be non-consensual BangJae .  It will NOT be fluffy and it will NOT be necessary to the plot whatsoever.  If it is not your cup of tea, please do not press the next button, you aren’t missing anything and I will see you next chapter.

If it is something you’d like to check out, then click on over.  But don’t say I didn’t warn you.

I’m hoping to have it up in the next 24 hours.

 

Until next time!

<3 Dani