chap 2

A Beautiful Reality

That class is quite spacious, dominated in white. There are 8 tables and chairs in the same number, each seat have a little gap from other, while each row have 4 seat arranged neatly. There is a large short cabinet in the end of the class. It’s just a locker for students to put their belongings, like books, bags, and other. There is a large window on left side of the class. A table and chair for teacher placed in the corner in the class front side. A big blackboard hanged on the wall beside the teacher’s seat.

There are 8 students filling every seat in that class. Every one has their own business to do. Some of them just chatting with others, seems like some of them know each other before. But some clearly avoided any kind of conversation, by put their headset on, sleeping, drawing randomly, or studying. Looking from outside of the class, it obviously just the same class as other.

But there is something different with their class. And all of the students in that class surely realize it. There’re only 8 students in that class. A definitely odd number for a class in a school which is usually have around 30 students in a class.  And not to mention that almost all of them ever get punishment before, and even almost from every teachers. From the simple punishment to even suspension, some of the students there, ever get that.

But surely, some of them don’t really care about that. They already get used to this kind of treatment. They have been treated differently so many times. Every teacher and other students, give them a label as a rebel. And they just don’t care, or that’s how they think. They are trying hard not to make themselves affected by that.

They don’t need to know how other people look at them. They don’t care about what other people talk about them. They just need to close their ears from every stupid rumor about them, or just simply pretended not to know about every gossip addressed to them. So, they are simply trying not to make any deal from this kind of things.

But of course, there are few of them who are absolutely questioning the school policy to put them in that class. Like why should the good students, placed in the same class with troubled students. But of course it’s not a big deal anyway. They are just wondering about that but for them, being placed anywhere won’t affect them too much. Others would always see them as the good one. And by placed them there, isn’t it only make the difference to obvious?

They’re still busy with their own business when they hear a noise coming from the door. The door opened and a tall tanned women walking into the class. Some of the students taking seconds to look at the new teacher, and some don’t even bother to lift their head to take a glance.

Kwon Yuri walks into her class, straight to her seat. She puts her bags on the table, and sits before observing the whole class and her students. She had been opened the file in her way to the class, and take a short look at each file, at least to remember their name. It’s not that hard, since there are only 8 students. She takes a look at each of them while matching their name with the photos that she just looked in the file.

She saw the first student in the first row, sitting neat the window, which is one of the students who don’t even bother to take a glance at her. She has a short blonde hair, one of her hand folded on the table, while she uses the other one to hold her chin with her elbow on the table. She has her head turned to the left side, staring straight through the window. She seems looking at some students who enjoying having a football match. “She must be Lee Sunny” yuri thought while trying to take a look at her face.

Sitting beside the short blonde haired girl, is a girl who has white milky skin. She is one of the students who pays attention since yuri comes into the class. She gives a smile when she caught yuri staring at her, which yuri smile back at her. “She seems friendly,  she must be that Kim Taeyeon, the school’s president”

Beside the school president is sitting a red haired girl. She just took a look at her new teacher, and continuing her little chat with her friend who sit beside her. While the girl who is sitting beside her have a long blonde hair. She just took a quick uninterested glance at her and listening to the red haired girl. “So, the red haired one should be Tiffany Hwang” yuri thought, trying to remember the other one. “ah, the other must be Jessica Jung”

Behind the long blonde girl is sitting another blonde girl which has her hair tied in ponytail. She has her head set on, and her face buried in her folded arm on the table. She is not even lift her head, yuri bets, she doesn’t even realize yuri present there. So, since yuri can’t see her face, she look another face, trying to think which name haven’t come up yet. “Maybe she is Kim Hyoyeon..” yuri thought unsure.

Beside the ponytail haired girl is sitting a black long haired girl. Just like the school president, she is one of the students who bother to pay attention to her. She saw the girl talking to the other girl who is sitting beside her before, but stopped when yuri walking into the class. “I think she is the good one too.. Maybe she is that Seo Juhyun”. Yuri looked at the girl who is sitting beside her, she is really beautiful. She has a long black hair which her bangs clipped with a small clip. “That pretty one should be Im Yoona.”

Yuri looked at the last student there, sitting behind the short blonde haired girl. Just like her too, she doesn’t even take a glance at her. She has her headset on both of her ears, and her hand busy doing something. It seems she is drawing or sketching something. She sure is an ignorant student, just like the other two, the girl who is sleeping and the one who is staring to the football field. “So, she is Choi Sooyoung”

After satisfied trying to remember all of her student name, which is not that hard, yuri gets up from her seat and walking closer to her students. Seeing that, all of the student who is busy chatting before, fix their position and just looking at her. Well, except the other three who maybe doesn’t even know that there is a teacher standing in front of their class.

“So, since this is our first meeting and I will become the teacher who is responsibility for this class, should we get to know each other first?” yuri gives her best smile. Seeing no response from all of the students, she added. “Or do you have something in mind about what should we do?” and once again, silence fill the room.

“Oh God.. Do I really responsible for this class?” She thought while eyeing every student one by one. “How do I survive this?” unconsciously, she release a heavy sigh.

-----

 

Yuri is living in a small apartment, near the school she is currently working at. A small apartment which is enough for her who is living by herself. Her mother is living in the village. A small town that is quite far from the city. And she will visit her mother every time she has free time.

Her apartment has a small living room, a main bedroom which is occupied by her, and another small room for her mom if she comes to visit or if she has any guest. There is a small kitchen which she seldom uses and two bathrooms , one for each rooms. She enjoys living there. since she is living by herself, that small apartment is more than enough for her.

Yuri is just sitting in her living room relaxed. She really had a hard time this morning. All day she had been trying her best to get to know her student. But most of them just completely ignored her. Some of her students don’t even say a word all day. And she is completely has no idea about how to make them talk or at least pay attention to her.

The only lucky thing that she should be grateful is she doesn’t have to teach all the subjects. SM School has one teacher for every subject. And every grade has different teacher. Even if there are actually some teacher can teach more than one subject for each class, or the same teacher who can teach different grade with the same subject. She doesn’t care, all she care is she doesn’t have to face them all day and every hour, while they don’t even want to see her.

She is sitting on the sofa while there are some papers here and there, and that small room looks totally in mess. She has a file that the principal just gave her this morning on her hand. She had her messy hair tied in a bun, has her glasses on, and take a sip from her afternoon tea while reading the file.

She is completely focused on that and smooth wrinkles can be seen on her forehead. She looked every detailed about her students. Trying to find some new information about what can she improve tomorrow. But all she find just a common information about their academic things.

Name: Kim Taeyeon

Score : 100/100

Rank : 1/248

Status : Scholarship student (Academic)

Attendance : 95%

 

Name: Choi Sooyoung

Score : 100/100

Rank : 2/248

Status : Scholarship student (Academic)

Attendance : 52%

 

Name: Seo Juhyun

Score : 96/100

Rank : 8/248

Status : Scholarship student (Academic)

Attendance : 97%

 

Name: Hwang Tiffany

Score : 95/100

Rank : 10/248

Status : Scholarship student (Academic)

Attendance : 81%

 

Name: Lee Sunny

Score : 61/100

Rank : 112/248

Status : Scholarship student (Sports)

Attendance : 60%

 

Name: Kim Hyoyeon

Score : 60/100

Rank : 114/248

Status : Scholarship student (Art Performance – Dance)

Attendance : 58%

 

Name: Jung Jessica

Score : 57/100

Rank : 119/248

Status : Scholarship student (Art Performance – Music)

Attendance : 69%

 

Name: Im Yoona

Score : 56/100

Rank : 121/248

Status : Scholarship student (Art Performance – Theater)

Attendance : 62%

 

For the nth time, yuri release a heavy sighs. After reading their files for two hours, she only gets their rank, score, and common things which is definitely not really a big help for now. All she gets is they’re all actually scholarship students. She gets some information about their families too, but it does nothing to help her, about what can she does tomorrow.

“Principal, are you even sure this students want to study?” yuri asks while raising her brows.

The principal chuckled “why? It’s your first day, and you already give up?”

“Well, you know.. Some of them not even take a glance at me. And that just make me wondering, whether if they really want to study or not..”

“Have you take a look at the students files?” Mr.Jung asked

“Yeah.. why?” Yuri asked back

“So, you do know that they’re all a scholarship students.” He stared at the latter in front of him. “Isn’t that enough to tell you that they’re actually doing quite well?”

“Yeah, but I’ve seen that. But don’t you think that’s something is wrong?”

“Like what?” Mr.Jung furrowed his brows.

“Look at their absence report. Shouldn’t this school just drop them out for not coming to school that much?” yuri gives him a questionable looks.

“Have you read this school policy for students?” yuri just shakes her head slowly which made Mr.Jung continue “As long as their absence don’t affected their study, we can tolerate until 50% of absence. I mean, look choi sooyoung. She can even get second place even if she doesn’t come to school that much.

“You know sometimes government doing a sudden test to know school accreditation, right?” Mr.Jung take a heavy breath before continue “for this two years, we always prefer to send choi sooyoung for the school representative, and she never disappoint us.”

“How about the others?”

“Well, you know, some of their parents are quite powerful that we can’t just drop them out from school while they are a big investment for this school as well.” Mr.Jung said. “And, people know this school not only from it’s academic achievement, but from any field like sports, arts and performance, and else. And some of them, like lee sunny, kim hyoyeon, im yoona, and jung jessica are doing a great job for that.” he continued.

Yuri just release another sighs hearing all Mr.Jung speech. She knows that actually, looking from how the school still takes that troubled students, that students must be clearly good in something. It’s just that they don’t even pay any attention in other teacher.

Mr.Jung staring at the new teacher for a moment before finally said “Miss Kwon, how about instead of talking about your student with me, why don’t you try talking to them? Even if I know it would’t be easy, but you can try.” He smiled. “And if you need any help about that, you can always ask Kwon boa, the counselor teacher about them. Kwon boa is the responsible to give a troubled student their punishment when they cause some troubles.”

He thought for a while before continue “so, I guess, she must talk to them a lot. And you can get some information about your student there.” he paused a moment before added “and, since she is the counselor teacher, she must know how to talk to troubled student like them.” He smiled.

Yuri only staring back at him before nodded her head “okay, Mr.Jung..”

Yuri closed her eyes, thinking deeply. She is massaging her temple. She has a sudden headache. She is trying to think what can she does. “I think I should meet kwon boa” she mumbled before stand up from her seat and tidying her living room.