Ch. 4: Past and Future

Voice of an Angel

For the past week Henry has been in a daze. He couldn’t forget that night he saw that girl and her beautiful singing voice. Since then he had spend many of his nights waiting for her at the park. He waited until he fell asleep and is later found by the nurses who were looking for him in a panic when dawn broke. The singing girl he was waiting for is nowhere to be found. The nurse found it surprising that Henry stayed out all night in the park not knowing the longing in Henry’s heart.
His family started to get worried and had a neurologist examine him. Henry didn’t have a mental problem but was merely heartbroken.
“Nothing is wrong with me. Just leave me alone.” Henry said in anger.
Though reluctant, his parents allowed Henry’s discharge from the hospital. There were no signs that Henry would regain his memories anytime soon or in the near future.

Henry couldn’t help but be consume in thoughts as he tries to fills in gap of his past. He sat taking in the view of the garden from his room. Siwon who is Henry’s personal doctor his family had hired to keep an eye on Henry to see if there’s any complication to his injury as he is healing. He is also there to spy on Henry for his parents.
“Siwon,” Henry said, “How are you related to me?”
“I’m your friend.” Siwon said. His tone of voice reveals that it was obviously a lie but Henry went along with it.
“I see. Did I have a lover before? It feels like my family is taking away what I use to have. Like they are forcing me find a new life rid of anything relating to my past. To the life I had before the accident.”
“Sorry, we were never that close. I don’t know the details of your love life.”
“Can you find out for me if I had anyone I am not currently talking to after the accident? I want to know.” Henry said with sad eyes.
“I don’t have the resource to do that.”
“Then I’ll continue as I am, I’ll look for them myself.”
“Don’t be rash.” Siwon said feeling worried of how the family will judge him if he lets Henry go looking for his past. “As a friend, I’ll do what I can. Just wait.”
“I’ve been waiting. How much will my own family keep from me before I go insane from all the holes in my memories?” Henry said in anger. “Family must mean more than confining me to a room so that they can observe me and keep me where they want me.”
“Trust me.” Siwon said with a stern tone.
“Don’t throw around the word trust so easily. After all, I woke up to a bunch of stranger who said they are family but they confine me like a criminal since I woke up.”
“You aren’t the only one being strain in this exchange!” Siwon complains. Then with a worried expression he said to Henry, “Think of how your family views this too. A beloved family member becoming nothing more than a stranger with the shell of the one you once knew. Henry, you are not the only one who feels like they the only one being drag around by fate.”
The truth is like a massive weight on everyone’s shoulders at the moment. Henry just realizes that he is not the only one in pain of his memory lost. His family has to deal with it just as much as he does. Losing him again is the worst thought on their mind. In the mist of panic, Henry couldn’t imagine what he would have done.

Amber came back to work like nothing ever happened as she appears reenergize for the future. Kris was surprised she showed up after all that have happened. His heart wasn’t prepared to see her so soon. There she stood wearing a skinning jean pair with a loose sweater over her tang top.
In one hand Amber held a disk of her original songs and on her face she wears a condescending smirk. “I know I’m a week late coming to work but this is worth the wait.”
As if Kris had read Amber’s mind they both said simultaneously, “Wait till you hear this!”
“Sorry. Too cliché?” Amber said.
“Straight out of the book of things to say.” Kris said trying his best not to get angry. “I’m a busy guy. Give me something that would be popular among the masses, not just you.”
“I know. I’ve been in the business long enough to know that.” With an innocent smile Amber said, “Oppa, won’t you listen to it anyways.”
With his assistant on speed dial he called, “Amber is feeling unwell, put it in the schedule to give her a few more weeks of-”
Amber quickly hangs up the phone before Kris was able to finish his sentence. “I’m feeling fine. Just listen and give me some honest feedbacks. I’m ready to move forward. Even if I don’t fit the bill as a solo artist, allow me to strive to change myself.”
“As a friend I do my best, but as a business man I can’t make any solid promise if this misses the mark.” Kris said feeling relieve that Amber’s upbeat personality is more than an act to cover up her emotional lost. “So? Let’s hear it.”
Her voice was nothing but the sound of pure beauty. She’s a singer with a great range and she sings with a honest heart.
“So.” Amber said. “What do you think?”
Kris looks at the cd then back at Amber. “I’ll think about it after you come up with something less depressing. I need something upbeat.” He picks up his phone and calls in his assistant, “Get a team to think of a good style for Amber, something to match her and make her standout among the other idol. Don’t go for the typical girly look, go for the stoic tomboy.”
His assistance came into the office to take  a look at Amber saying, “Is this what I’m working with?”
“Are up to the challenge?” Kris said. “She has a pretty face so everything should be easy.”
“We need more than a pretty face.” Kris’s assistant said.
Kris look at Amber again and said, “She’s unique, let’s work with that. Now get back to work.”
“What’s wrong with my look?” Amber said. “Don’t change too much of my look.”
“Shhs.” The assistant said. “Call me Anna. Don’t worry, I know all about you. The song writer who had a few hits here and there.” Anna said to Kris, “Give me a few weeks and I’ll give you some of my ideas.”
“Well Amber, you have a few weeks to write me some new songs.”
“Right.” Amber feels the pressure now.
Seeing that Amber feels pressure Kris said, “You do know what I mean right. I need some demo from you in three weeks. Demos songs.”
Amber gave a deep breath and answers. “Yes sir.”

As Amber got herself busy with work Donghae receive a phone call asking for Amber to show up in front of Henry. He heads to the balcony to talk and to keep Amber from hearing his conversation. The phone call says that Henry might remember everyone if he saw someone he had loved in the past. In anger Donghae refuse to let Amber from having any contact with Henry or his family.
“Do you understand what Amber is going through?” Donghae said. “I had to lie to her and now you want me to break her heart again. It is already hard enough to lie to her that her beloved boyfriend is dead. My precious baby sister is going through enough pain. Don’t think that you are the only in pain from the accident.” He hung up the phone.
There’s a knock on the balcony door. It was Amber who heard the muffle sound of him yelling. “Are you okay?”
Donghae looks at Amber and said, “Don’t worry. I just had a fight with a coworker.” He hopes Amber didn’t hear what he was yelling about. “Are you hungry, let’s go eat out?”
“Yeah. I have some good news to share with you. Though it’s not official so just some news.”
“Hm. It must be about your song writing gig.”
“Kris said he will consider me being a solo artist. Can you believe it?”
“You asked for it right?”
“Of course.”
Donghae smiles at the thought that Amber was getting better and that she is probably getting over Henry.
“What’s with that smile?” Amber ask.
“Can’t a older brother be happy that his baby sister is taking a step to fame and fortune.”
“Don’t say it like we have trouble with money. We are doing well enough to not be hungry or want anything out of our reach.”
They went out to eat pizza.
“Donghae, are you hiding anything from me?” Amber said with a worried expression.
“What would I be hiding from you?”
“You won’t keep something important from me right?”
“I don’t know what you are talking about.”
“Oppa!”
That guilty look on his face says that he have something to regret about. “I’m sorry but I can’t tell you at this moment and time. Maybe after your debut I’ll tell you.”
“What’s the big secret?”
“I’ll tell you later.” Donghae said. “I’ll tell you at a later date. Don’t ask me anymore until then.” Donghae gives a force laugh to get them out of the awkward situation. “Why don’t we end this meal on a happy note?”
“Hey oppa, what kind of style will fit me better?”
“Why don’t you stick with your current style? I’m sure Kris will agree with me that you are already a unique person. You’ve always been a tomboy, now you seem to look like a boy more than before.” Donghae laughs.
“Oppa!” Amber whine. “Don’t call me a boy.”
 “Don’t force yourself to fit in, just be yourself without worrying about how you should look and act.”
“Should I go wild and do whatever I want?”
“Not even close. Just be you, be the Amber that I always known and remember to stay out of scandals. Stars are meant to be out of reach of the common people, one flaw is nearly enough to get people to shoot down a star.”
“Don’t treat my future singing career as a war zone.”
“What kind of work isn’t a war zone? We will have to fight against time to produce products on time. Life is our battleground.”
“I guess you’re right.”
“Big brothers are always right.” Donghae said proudly. His smile quickly fades with the thoughts doubting of how great of a brother he is. He hid this doubtful face when ever Amber looks his way.

 

 

From the Author: I've been working on some of my other stuff. Some non-Kpop related stuff. Updates schedule at this point in time is non existant.