Ch. 2 A Missing Piece

Voice of an Angel

It was hard for Amber to go back to her usual routine without Henry in her life now. Just the fact that she could no longer hold his hands and embrace him in her arms was hard to face. Both Amber and Henry were long time childhood friends that turned into love. They have only been going out for a month before the accident occurred. It was an unavoidable accident. If only the drunk driver didn’t drive then they wouldn’t have to face this much trouble in their life.

The shock of loosing Henry isn’t out of her system yet and it isn’t letting up anytime soon. Many of her coworkers has not heard of what happened to her boyfriend and those that do stayed silent as not to reopened closed wounds. Most of her coworker knows that Amber has been in a terrible car accident and was asked not to talk to Amber about it since she lost a friend in the accident.

Amber had always had a boyish personality but nowadays she’s resembles more of a boy than ever. Before she looks like a cool female, but now she have an androgynous appeal to her and many of her coworkers are finding this new image strikingly attractive. She is an assistant music produce to one of S. Korea most renown music producer Kris who have created hit songs one after the other despite his young age of twenty-two. Though Amber has the voice and charisma to become a popular singer while producing her own works, creating music is something Amber wants to focus on right now. 

Now Amber is back working, she is still not able to fully focus on her work with the thought of Henry still on her mind. Amber had insisted to her brother that she can work and that she will be okay.

“Arrrgh!” Kris growls as he got angry. “Amber, come in here right now!” There Kris sat in the music studio listening to six base tracks Amber had promise to create for him so he could write lyrics for. Every one of them sound like a clichéd love song and are nearly identical to one another. “Listen to this crap. How can I work with this?”

“I’m sorry. I’ll redo them.” Amber said as she keeps bowing repeatedly to apologize.

“Stop.” Kris said as he massages his temple. “No. Just go home for another week then come back when you get yourself together. Having you like this at work will only make me fall behind in work.”

“But, I’ll do my best not to get in your way.” Amber said in a rush.

“Sorry Amber. You are not the same person I hired. If you can’t get your act together within a week then I’ll have to let you go.” Kris’s words may be harsh but the truth is that if Amber keeps doing what she is doing she can’t keep going in S. Korea’s fast pacing music industry. “Go home. I trust you won’t let me down a second time.”

“Yes sir.” Amber said. “I’ll do my best to regain my position as your trusted assistant. I won’t disappoint you.”

Knowing what happened to Amber and how Henry was her boyfriend who is supposedly dead. Donghae have already told Kris what’s going on before hand so that Kris can avoid saying things to hurt Amber. Between the four of them, Donghae, Henry, Kris, and Amber, they are all close friends.

Before Amber left Kris said, “Time will heal the pain. The down side to that is that it will only work if you allow it to.”

Amber nods with a smile and left without saying anything.

 

It has been two weeks since Henry first heard that song of a mysterious girl singing. He didn’t even catch a glimpse of her but night after night, Henry takes a walk in the park in attempt to catch a glimpse of that singing girl. It has become a nightly routine and when he was unable to go for medical reasons, he feels something is lost in him.

Each day it feels like there are new people coming to meet him with his mother. Henry’s father shows up once a week due to his busy work schedules. His mother is a house wife so she has a lot of time to spend with Henry. Sometimes she spends too much time with him and he have to ask her to leave.

“Mother. Mother!” Henry said as he tries to wake her up. “If you’re tired, please go home and rest.”

“But you still haven’t gotten your memory back.” His mother complains. “How can I leave my baby alone when he is still hurt?”

“Mother, I know you love me but meeting too many new faces is difficult for me.”

“Nonsense, I’m helping you out. Listen, mother’s words are best.” His mother protested.

“Mother…” Henry tries his best to make sure his voice sound calm to his mother to hide how stress he is from meeting people he have no memories of. “I’m feeling stress out from learning all the new faces. Plus, the doctors said that it is no guarantee I’ll regain my old memories back. I just want some time alone to think. Give me a few days at least.”

Hearing those words hit his mother’s heart hard. She pats Henry’s head, gave him a hug, and said, “I’m sorry. I’m just worried you won’t get better. You just rest and I’ll see you in a few days.”

“Rest well mother.” Henry said with a smile as he gave her a gentle wave of his hand as she left his room.

The one thing Henry didn’t say was that it still feels strange to call her mother. He can’t recall any faces from his past, no one. Telling his mother that he had forgotten her is something that can hurt her more than it would hurt him.

 

It has been a few days into her break from work and Amber is finding it difficult to regain her original confidence. She has been spending a lot of her nights in the park to watch the night sky in the darkest part of the park. Walking in the park during the day Amber bumps into Kris and his younger sister Krystal who were in the middle of going shopping.

Amber bows and said, “Hello.” Looking at Krystal Amber said, “Is this your girlfriend?”

Both Kris and Krystal gave Amber a strange look then they bursts out laughing making Amber feels clueless about their reaction.

“Sorry Amber.” Kris said as did his best to hide his laughter. “This is my younger sister Krystal.”

“Nice to meet you Krystal, I’m Amber. I work with Kris.” Amber extended her hand.

Krystal took Amber’s hand and shook it shyly thinking Amber is a boy for the way she is dressed. “Nice to meet you too Amber.” With a shy chuckle Krystal said, “Why does a boy have a girl’s name?”

With a straightforward reply Amber says, “Because I’m a girl.”

To the side Kris couldn’t help but laughs at the situation but hid it with a cough as Krystal’s eyes met his. Krystal immediately gave Kris a cold stare and she fists him in the shoulder mouthing, “Oppa!”

Smiling brightly Amber said, “You two really are alike.”

Both Kris and Krystal shouted simultaneously, “No we’re not!” They glare at each other.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to get the both of you upset.” Amber said. “So what brought you guys out here today?”

“We’re going shopping.” Krystal said happily.

“Yeah, she kept bothering me until I take her out shopping.” Kris said.

“That sounds fun.” Amber said with a smile but it lack energy.

Noticing Amber’s reaction Kris said, “Are you feeling better? If you need more time I can give you some before you come back to work.”

Krystal realizing how Kris is acting and grabs Amber’s hand saying, “Why don’t you join us? I can pick you some feminine clothes to match your short hair.”

Amber smiles and said, “I appreciate it but I got things to do.”

When Amber is out of site Kris hits Krystal on the head. “What are you trying to do?”

“What did I do wrong?” Krystal complains not knowing that Kris feels embarrass to let Amber know that he still hangs out with his younger sister.

“You’re embarrassing me.” Kris said.

For the first time Krystal saw Kris blush. “Then why don’t you invite Amber and I’ll disappear so the two of you can hang out?”

“I can’t.” Kris’s tone of voice changed. “She is in a difficult situation now and I had already missed my move once. I don’t have the right to take advantage of her precious emotional state.”

“Why are you sounding as if she saw something tragic?” Krystal said in disbelief.

“Because it is the truth.” The look in Kris eyes tells it all. Amber is an important person to Kris but in what manner.

“My brother is such a moody guy.” Krystal complains behind Kris’s back.

Kris turns back with a feeling of suspicion towards Krystal. “Don’t do anything stupid. It is best not to ask her about it.”

“I won’t do anything.” Krystal said as she crosses her finger behind her back.

 

Just as Krystal and Kris were in the middle of shopping, Krystal pretended to go to the fitting room to escape Kris’s watchful eyes. There she left Kris alone in the mall to wait for her  not knowing she left him. Then Krystal ran back to the park in hope she could still catch Amber to talk to her one on one. Looking left and right in the park, it was hard to spot Amber. Mistaking multiple guys for Amber was embarrassing enough and just as Krystal ran out of breath she found Amber with two ice-cream cones, one in each hand.

“Are you feeling alright? Did you lose something?” Amber asks. “I saw you running around franticly asking everyone you see around you.”

“I’m fine.” Krystal said confidently. “I wasn’t looking for anything.”

“Do you want one?” Amber said referring to the two of the ice-cream cones she’s holding.

“Yes, please and thank-you.” Krystal said happily to receive some ice-cream.

When they found a place to sit and enjoy their ice-cream Amber asks, “Were you looking for me?”

“How did you know?”

“Female intuition,” Amber said without doubt. “Did you want to ask me something?”

Krystal nodded as she was too embarrassed to speak.

“Well.” Amber said. “What did you want to talk about?”

“W… What are you doing tonight?”

“I want to sing under the moon. Even if all of the street light were to go out, I know the moon will be there to give me some light.” Amber said with a smile.

“Can I watch you?”

“Well, it’s not a school night so why not.”

“What will you be wearing so I know it is you who is singing?”

“I haven’t thought that far yet.”

“How about wearing a white dress to compliment the color of the moon?”

“Alright, find me in this park at ten tonight.”

Krystal squeals happily before hugging Amber. “Don’t lie to me. I’m definitely showing up. I’ll look for you in a white dress.”

“There’s one thing you must promise me.” Amber said.

“What?” Krystal said expectantly.

“Don’t tell anyone about it.”

“Why?”

“I just want to keep this a secret between us.”

 

An hour later Krystal returns to the clothing store she had left Kris at. She found Kris waiting for her at the entrance of the clothing store. Kris expected Krystal to show remorse for her choice of action that caused him to frown on her, instead Krystal ran up to Kris happily.

“Kris, I found a good place we have to go no matter what. I promised you won’t be disappointed!” Krystal exclaim.

“Wait!” Kris said feeling confuse. “Can you explain to me what exactly happened?”

“I wanted to give you a gift for shopping with me.”

“I probably have to work to get this gift right?” Kris said disappointed.

“Yeah, but you only need to drive us there.”

“What time and where is it”

“The park tonight at ten.” Krystal said excitedly. Seeing Kris expression turn sour Krystal continues, “I promised you won’t be disappointed. Come on and give some trust in your younger sister. You’ll be surprised and happy when you see it.”

 

From the Author: The love they seek may not be the one they are destine to have. I won't say who but sometimes love causes people to become obsess with the things they can not have.

Even though my updates may be slow, I still need the supports of my readers. Thank-you and please leave a comment.