☀ Chapter Two ☀

Bloom of the Sun

 

                    

Hyoyeon was awakened by the sounds of children squealing happily, baby crying and thudding of running feet at the hallway. But the most distinct sound was the voice of her parents bickering this very early morning.

 

Oh God, why can’t they tone it down?

 

She rose up in a sitting position then looked over to the side table where her alarm clock was. It’s already 6:14!

She quickly stood up and got ready; their cheerleading practice will start at 7:00 am sharp. Taeyeon – their captain - will skin her alive if she’s late.

After showering and picking up clothes comfortably to wear for their practice, Hyoyeon shouldered her backpack then went straight to their kitchen to grab something to eat on her way to school.

There, Hyoyeon’s parents were still arguing about something, though they stopped once they saw her.

“Where are you going?” her mother asked curiously.

“School” She answered simply but then elaborates when her mom gave her a look.  “We have cheerleading practice this morning till afternoon then I will go straight to my work later on.” She picked up some bread to make a cheese sandwich for herself.

“Even Sunday?” her father asked as he tries to calm down the fussy baby Suho in his arms.

Hyoyeon nodded “We will compete soon so we need to practice every day.” She secured her two sandwiches in a clean sandwich plastic bag then she put it in her own bag. “Okay, I gotta go.” She announced.

“Be careful”

“Bye”

Her parents said simultaneously.

Hyoyeon only nodded and smiled at baby Suho then she walked towards the main door. But before she could go there, she was suddenly bombarded by her other two younger siblings with their hugs. They are both giggling and arguing who got to her first. So much like the two person I know she thought pointedly as she looked back to where her parents was, that now seems continuing their bickering from where she interrupted them earlier.

Hyoyeon just shook her head then turned and looked down to her arguing siblings that still embracing her – Kangin, who is 7, was hugging her waist and Jiyeon,  who is 5, was hugging her thigh.

“Okay, stop that now... and you two need to let me go or I am going to be late” she said, smiling at the two kids who released her obediently.

“Ne noona?” called Kangin .

“Hmm?”

“Can you buy us something when you come back?”

The oldest sibling simply nodded. “Sure, what do you want?”

“Ice cream!”

“Doughnuts!”

Kangin and Jiyeon exclaimed excitedly at the same time, respectively.

Hyoyeon let out a small laugh. “Sorry kiddos, but you need to choose only one” she held up one of her finger to emphasize it.

The two kids pouted but then looked at each other, seemingly communicating with only their eyes. Afterwards they looked back at her “Doughnuts!” they cried together and giggled right after.

Hyoyeon just chuckled then nodded her head approvingly. “Okay” she said as she ruffled their hairs.

 

 

That afternoon, Sooyoung’s tall figure was slumped on her bed, unmoving. Her head was facing the wall but her eyes were unseeing. The only sound she could hear from their almost eerie quiet house was the rapid beating of her heart.

She just came from the hospital an hour ago.

After she asked for appointment yesterday, she visited her personal doctor early in the morning, but not after her mom and older sister gone for work, of course. She just doesn’t want to worry them.

Once there, Sooyoung told her genial doctor about the weird behavior of her heart that she’s feeling since that Friday. The doctor, concerned, immediately performed some test to her to check if there are some complications.

After all of that and the results turned out to be just perfectly fine, the doctor curiously asked the tall girl what exactly happened to her for her heart to beat strangely like she’s telling him to. But Sooyoung’s only response was her flushed face.

The doctor observed her when she doesn’t give him any verbal response. Then slowly, after a little while, a smile formed on his lips, finally realizing what the real deal was. He stood up and walked around his table to where Sooyoung was sitting at. He stood in front of her then unceremoniously ruffled the tall girl’s hair.

Surprised, Sooyoung looked up to her smiling doctor.

“You grew up really fast Sooyoung. You’re now a beautiful young lady.” He said as he now patted the young woman’s head affectionately while remembering the kid who used to yell ‘Oppa’ whenever he would passed her open room ( little Sooyoung always asked her mother or sister to left the door open so the noise outside the hospital’s hallway would carry on inside her lonely room. ) and the shikshin kid who would visit him sometimes in his office to partook more than half of his lunch that his girlfriend – now wife – made for him.

“Oppa?” Sooyoung called, confused.

The doctor bent down to the girl’s eye level. “Make sure to introduce him sometime to your old Oppa, hm Sooyoung?”

Sooyoung was utterly confused on what he meant by that statement. Who’s the ‘him’ that she needs to introduce to her Oppa? But she didn’t ask further, for it will only add in her already confused filled mind. After asking a favor to her doctor to not mention this – her, visiting the hospital – to her mother and sister - in which the doctor easily agreed on to since there’s really not a problem - Sooyoung gone home.

 

And now, here she was, still not moving from the bed that she slumped herself onto upon arrival.

Taking a deep breathe, Sooyoung closed her eyes. Suddenly feeling tired. She was almost in the land of unconsciousness when a clink sound startled her.

She lifted her head and looked around her room. When she found nothing and the sound never came again, she shrugged it off and close her eyes for the second time.

When the clinking sound starts again she abruptly rose up in a sitting position then looked around wildly. Her heart beating fast, scared.

Oh my God! Appa is here! Sooyoung assumed, horrified.

She was just about to bolt out of her room when she heard it again but she stopped when she heard the distinctive voice that accompanying the clink sound.

“Sooyoung!” that voice called.

The tall girl’s tensed shoulder slumped down when she realized who it was that calling her name. Of course she thought, a bit annoyed.

When that person called her name again, she hastily went to where her window was and spread out the thick curtain. The face of a scowling Yuri greeted her.

Yuri huffed then impatiently pointed the lock of the glass window which was inside while mouthed to Sooyoung the words ‘Open it’ as if she wouldn’t be able to hear it if Yuri would voice it out. She just rolled her eyes then flicked the lock, afterwards, she slides the sliding window open.

 The older girl easily entered the room from the window with a plastic bag full of contents in one hand. She placed it on the top of Sooyoung’s study table then faced her cousin; the scowl was still in place.

 “5 knocks on the window was the code that it was me. What’s so difficult there to memorize? We’re doing that since we were kids.” Yuri huffed as she took a seat on the foot of Sooyoung’s bed.

The tall girl walked to where the plastic bag that Yuri brought was. “I don’t have to memorize anything because there’s only one nutty girl who climbs at the tree to enter my window.” She said as she inspected the bag. Yuri just rolled her eyes. “And just so you know, we actually have a door.  You don’t have a code to enter it” Sooyoung’s face lights up when she saw all the foods inside the bag but frowned when she saw the DVD’s. “What are this for?” she asked, referring to the contents of the plastic bag.

Yuri shrugged “Seohyun told me that she saw you came back from the hospital earlier (Sooyoung always tell her cousins where she will be going and vice versa. It’s like a tradition from when they were kids. So they know where the other’s whereabouts and backed up each other when the parents found out.)… So, I thought, why not visit my ‘oh so’ lonely cousin?... Seohyun wants to come too but she’s not allowed.” she held out her hand and gestured to Sooyoung to give her the bag, which the latter complied right away. “I brought some chips, sodas and sweets. And oh…” Her face lights up when she saw the DVD’s, she took it out from the bag then showed it to the tall girl, all three of them. “There’s Horror, Rom-com and Sci-fi. But I prefer rom-com.” She excitedly said as she tossed the other two on the bed. After that, she looked up to the tall girl but with a more serious expression on her face. “So, what happened to the hospital? Does handsome Oppa found out what the problem was?”

Sooyoung smiled when she detected a hint of concern in her cousin’s voice. “Aww, you’re worried. “She teased. ”That’s why you came over here and brought these stuffs, right?”

Yuri scowled but there’s a faint blush on her cheeks. “I’m not.” She huffed. “And to tell you the truth, it’s actually Seohyun’s money that she herself, I must add, gave me to bought these stuff for you and there’s extra money left so I took it upon myself to use that to rent these movies”

The tall girl only chuckled. “If you say so” she took a sit on her bed then leaned her back against the headboard. ‘’And oh, why Seohyun can’t come over here, by the way?”

Hearing that question, the tan girl suddenly let out a small laugh before she answer. “Seohyun ‘accidently’ used the stun gun to our poor uncle. At first it’s all fine and okay because it’s only an accident and she took that thing away from him quickly, so it’s only a little sting. But then later on, she told me that she purposely do that to see if the balding hair of our uncle will rose up just like in the movies.”

“Oh my” Sooyoung uttered, she brought her hand over to muffled her laugh.

Yuri only continued “Unfortunately, Mom heard her. She was so mad and she grounded her for a month. That includes going over here.”

Sooyoung shook her head with a small smile on her lips. Her younger cousin was really something…and kind of scary.

 

 

After that tale of mischievous Seohyun, Yuri demanded to start their movie marathon already.

15 minutes passed, the rom-com movie was already playing on the TV and they are now lying on their stomach on the bed while munching their snacks.

Her cousin’s abrupt show up in her house helps a lot. The presence of her distracts her mind to think those things even for just a little while…

… or so she thought.

“Does Jessica call you already?” Yuri asked all of a sudden.

Sooyoung almost choke her food when she heard the name of her bestfriend. She whipped her head to her cousin, blushing “w-why would Je- she call me?” she stuttered, finding it hard to say Jessica’s name. She remembered that her cellphone’s battery was almost drained even before she got to the hospital so it must be off right now, that’s why she had no idea.

Yuri froze when she realized her mistake. She looked slowly at the tall girl. “I might have mentioned that you went to hospital earlier.” She admitted sheepishly.

Sooyoung quickly narrowed her eyes but before she could open to chastise her cousin, Yuri already raised up her hands in a surrender manner.

“Sorry, sorry” she put her hands down. “It’s just that when I logged in on facebook earlier, she flooded my chatbox with messages asking if you’re okay. She told me that you’re acting weird last Friday and when she tried to contact your cellphone you didn’t give her any text reply or answer your phone when she called. She seems so worried, so I told her.”

Upon hearing this, Sooyoung felt an ached in her chest. She offered Yuri a simple nod of understanding then the latter returned her attention to the movie.

The tall girl felt guilty. She could barely remember what happened last Friday after that strange occurrence concerning Jessica happened. All she knew was after she got home, she gone straight to her room and started to sketch that view she just witnessed that seemed already forever engraved on her memory. With her pounding heart and those emotions that seem to burst any moment, she sketched and paints more than 10 pieces of only Jessica and the bleeding sky as the background. On every picture, there’s only a small detail that was different from others. But she couldn’t stop. Her hands can’t stop itching and moving to draw and paint. Before she knew it, it’s already Saturday afternoon. Her heart was still beating fast. More importantly, she didn’t even realize that she barely eats foods. That was never happened before! That’s when she thought that it’s getting serious and decided to call the hospital and asked for an appointment for her doctor.

Sooyoung already read the messages that Jessica sent her last Friday and Saturday but she couldn’t bring herself to reply or return back those missed calls. Not until she finds out what was this that she’s feeling.

 

This unknown, strange, frightening feeling that keeps on resurrects with just the thought of Jessica.

 

 

What is this?           

 

 

If only she could tell what it is…

 

 

“Argh! You’re IN LOVE!... Just jump her already!” Yuri exclaimed suddenly.

 

The whole world stopped moving for a second...

 

 

Well… at least for Sooyoung.

 

 

“W-What?” Sooyoung almost hollered out after she recovered, flabbergasted, looking wide eyed at her cousin.

Yuri turned to her with an annoyed expression on her face then pointed the TV where the movie plays. “The main guy was so stupid. I mean, his heart’s beating so fast when he was with the girl and he’s also so nervous. That only means that he’s in love. What a pabo to not realize it right away. Surely, in reality, there’s no such person as stupid as that guy was. Tsk.” Shaking her head Yuri returned her attention to the movie, completely oblivious that she just slapped the sought after answer to her cousin.

On the other hand, Sooyoung who was still dumbfounded scooted away from her cousin who was too engrossed to the movie to notice. With her back against the headboard, she brought her one hand to her chest much like she did that Friday.

 

She could feel the rapid beating of her heart on her bare hand. She gulped.

 

IN LOVE

 

LOVE

 

Is that what she’s feeling...

 

 

 

…to Jessica?

 

 

It’s already 5 when her cousin – finally – left her house. She immediately locked the door of her room and the window (just in case). She opened her laptop and opened a browser then typed the word ‘LOVE’ on the search engine. There are a hundreds of results that showed up on her screen. She was blushing furiously from the info’s and articles that she reads.

But even after all of the things she learned and discovered, though helpful, she still feels confused. Sighing, she turned it off and walked to her bed then plopped herself onto it, exhausted.

But once she closed her eyes, her mind was immediately filled by all the thoughts, confusions… and the face of her bestfriend, smiling while looking at the sunset. Her heart quickly reacts and beats, more like hammers – in her chest.  Opening her eyes, she rose up, decided.

 

 

After asking permission to her mom that she’s just going to buy something, to which her mom hesitantly agreed to, Sooyoung went outside.

40 or so minutes later, the tall girl was already holding a grocery bag in her hand with her newly purchased two gallons of ice cream inside.

Eating ice cream always helps to cheer her up, so maybe, it will also help to pacify her puzzled mind and heart even for just a little.

With nothing left to buy to, Sooyoung decided to start her walk home.

 

“Sooyoung?”

 

She halted when she heard her name being called by the voice that sounds familiar. She turned around –and that’s why – it’s Hyoyeon. Her friend has a garbage bag in her hand; it seems like she was just about to put it in the trash can. She’s also wearing the uniform she wears at her part time job.

 

“Hyoyeon” she greeted, smiling.

 

 

Sitting on one of the bench at the park not too far away from the grocery store where Hyoyeon works, was Sooyoung who’s waiting for that said friend. Her ice cream was already melting on her side though she didn’t give it any mind for her own brain was currently busy on making a decision.

It just came up suddenly when she saw Hyoyeon.

Maybe it will help. She thought.

Seconds later, she could already see Hyoyeon with her bike on her side, walking hurriedly towards her.

Earlier, she told Sooyoung that they could go home together since her shift was already done, the tall girl just need to give her a minute or two to get her things ready.

“Sorry for the wait.” Hyoyeon said as she parked her bicycle at the side of the lamppost. She snatched the two sodas on its basket then walked towards Sooyoung and took a sit beside her. “Here” she handed one of the soda in which the tall girl quickly accepted “let’s have a drink for a while, okay?” she said with a smile as she starts to open her own drink.

“Thank you.” Sooyoung mumbled but she didn’t open her can, she just encased it with her both hands.

 The older girl, noticed this, looked at her friend curiously “is there a problem?”

Sooyoung didn’t answer immediately; she just bit her lower lip. Her mind still can’t decide whether to confide to Hyoyeon or not. I need to tell someone about this! She argued to herself.

When Hyoyeon thought that her friend won’t answer her, she brought the can to to drink.

 

“I’M IN LOVE!” Sooyoung suddenly blurted out with her head bowed down, eyes close and cheeks flushed. She stayed like that, waiting for the older girl’s reaction to her confession.

But what she heard after a moment from the other girl was a choking sound then followed by coughing. She immediately raised her head and her eyes went wide when she saw Hyoyeon was pounding her own chest with her fist and have a coughing fit.

Sooyoung immediately aid her friend. She pounded the back of the older girl but in a gentler manner.

“C-could you g-give me a w-arn-ning n-ext time you have to s-ay some-thing l-like that” Hyoyeon coughed again, though more controllable this time.

Sooyoung could only utter her apology while continue to help her friend.

 

After some more ‘sorry’ and coughing, silence eventually surrounded them.

 

“So you’re in love?” Hyoyeon asked after a moment while still rubbing her chest in a slow motion.

 

Sooyoung looked at her then nodded.

 

“Hmm, so… may I know who is it?”

Sooyoung immediately shook her head that she can get a whiplash.

Hyoyeon chuckled. “Okay, okay.”

 

Sooyoung sighed then looked down to her lap where her hands holding her soda again. “Actually” she started hesitantly. “I’m not really sure yet if what I’m feeling right now is love.” She admitted.

 

Hyoyeon stopped rubbing her chest and laid both her hands at each side of her seat.

 

“I’m still confused.” the tall girl continued.

 

The older girl thought for a moment.

 

“So…you want my advice then?” she asked.

Sooyoung looked up to the older girl, reading her expression. What she sees was the honest concern of a friend. “If you want to” Sooyoung finally murmured.

 

“Hmm” Hyoyeon hummed, thinking, she looked straight ahead where the road was. There are only few people walking at the sidewalk and much fewer vehicles that passing by.

 “I’m not really an expert when it comes to that kind of love… Heck, I don’t even have experience with that yet” she chuckled then took a calming breath “so I might not really a big help…”

She turned to Sooyoung who’s looking at her and waiting for her to just continue. So she did.

“But… if you want to know what love is from the third person’s point of view, all I could say is it’s not really like the love stories you watch or read somewhere.” She smiled “I knew that for the fact that I witness it every single day.”

 

A memory of one of her parent’s fights flashed through Hyoyeon’s mind.

 

And then, Hyoyeon starts to tell Sooyoung what were her parents like at their home.

How her parents fights a lot, as in, fights A LOT. But it never turned physical, that they just bickering and complaining about each other or even about some trivial things.  She also informed Sooyoung that her father had an accident couple of years ago, that his right leg doesn’t work anymore that’s why he’s using a crutch to be able to walk. Because of that, her father can’t find a decent job so he’s the one who stays at home to tend to her younger siblings and do most of the chores.

Hyoyeon also told Sooyoung the things about her mother, that her mom was always stressed at dealing with clients at work that’s why she always has something to complain about when she’s at home, even simple things. That would leads for Hyoyeon’s dad to be irritated. The older girl described her parents having both big personalities… or more on having a big mouth, that’s why they always clash.

As Hyoyeon talks about her parents, Sooyoung just listen. The former never opened up to them about her life at home. But now that the tall girl thought about it, she realized that they never actually ask.

Though she’s genuinely curious about her friend’s parent’s relationship, Sooyoung started to get confuse. She wanted to ask how this – Hyoyeon’s parents fights all the time – helps or clear up her problem. She’s about to open but Hyoyeon’s next words just shut her up.

 

“…and that’s what I think the reality of love is.” Hyoyeon concluded.

 

The tall girl stilled then burrowed her eye brows in confusion.

 

Hyoyeon, noticed this, just chuckled but she just continue.

 

“It’s not all about sweet kisses, happy smiles or colors everywhere… There are also hurtful words, misunderstandings, selfish choices and other painful things.”

“I know I might sound corny and cliché right now especially to what I am about to say.” Hyoyeon lets out a small laugh. “But… I really believe that love is truly the most wonderful thing that will ever happen to someone despite its imperfections...”

 

“After all that big or nonsense fights that my parents had, they still sleep on the same bed. My mother would still use my father’s arm as her pillow and my father could only sleep after he feels that mom’s breathing was already even. Simple things like, massaging my dad’s left leg when it cramps even in the middle of their bickering or dad cooks mom’s favorite dishes twice or more a week, proves that.”

Hyoyeon turned to Sooyoung afterwards. “And there” she poked the latter’s chest where the beating heart is. “You’re the only one who could answer what you were really feeling in there. If it was really love or just a simple affection”

Sooyoung could not utter a word. She’s amazed and struck at the same time by all the things that Hyoyeon told her and still telling her. All she could do was to absorb it.

“You know when you know. Especially when you’re with that other person… Or maybe… you already know it. It’s just that, you’re too afraid to admit it.”

Hyoyeon observed the younger girl then smiled softly. “What’s certain is… you yourself can just feel it...

 

“…that it is love.”

 

 

After their mushy – well, at least for Hyoyeon – but very helpful and inspiring – that’s for Sooyoung – talk, the duo decided to go home.

Sooyoung was seated sideways at the back of Hyoyeon’s bicycle. Her arms were around the older girl’s waist.

They stopped at one store that sells doughnuts. Hyoyeon told her that her siblings asked her for that. Sooyoung eyed her already melted ice cream seating innocently on the bicycle’s basket. When the older girl came back from the store she told her that she could take her ice cream with her for her siblings. Hyoyeon chuckled then thanked her and assured her that the kids will definitely love it.

They wheeled again after that, enjoying the peacefulness and the fresh air of the night time.

“Your muscles are so tight.” Sooyoung suddenly commented, feeling the cheerleader’s muscles in her arms.

Hyoyeon chuckled. “Well… that’s what, what you get when you’re a cheerleader” she simply answered

Then silence came again.

After a while, the tall girl laid her head to the older girl’s back. “Thank you” Sooyoung whispered.

 

Hyoyeon only smiled.

 

 

When they got to Sooyoung’s house, Sooyoung thanked her again but Hyoyeon just waved it off.

“Be careful” the tall girl said as she waved at her friend.

Hyoyeon just waved back at her. Sooyoung was just about to enter their house when she heard her name being called.

She turned back to Hyoyeon. “Just don’t be afraid if you realized that what you really feel is love… even if it gets confusing or painful most of the time. Sometimes, you need to let yourself fall” The latter said.

 

The tall girl was stunned for a moment but then nodded to the older girl after.

 

Hyoyeon smiled. “Thanks for the ice cream again, see you tomorrow at school! Bye!”

 

 

Hyoyeon arrived at their house soon after. Holding the bags of doughnuts and ice cream for her younger siblings, she started to open the door. She was bombarded immediately – again - by Kangin and Jiyeon once she entered.

They squealed in delight when they saw what’s in her hands.

“This ice cream was from my friend, it’s already melted so we need to place it in the freezer first okay?”

The two kids pouted but nodded anyway then Kangin took the ice cream and run to the kitchen to where their refrigerator was.

Hyoyeon and Jiyeon followed him in the kitchen where Hwayoung – their other sister, 14 years old – was trying to feed baby Suho his baby food.

“Oh thank God you’re here. I’m going crazy because of these kids.” Hwayoung said as she wiped off some of Suho’s food from his face.

The oldest looked around. “Where are mom and dad?”

“They’re on a date. Mom’s boss gave her two tickets of a concert or something, can’t remember what… So they left me with these brats.” She huffed.

Kangin stuck his tongue out at Hwayoung in which the latter didn’t notice.

Jiyeon tugged her unnie’s pants slightly. Hyoyeon looked down at her. “I saw daddy and mommy kissing when they thought I was napping.” The little girl innocently said.

“EWW!!!” the three older siblings said at the same time. Even baby Suho spitted out her food.

“And I rode the wheelchair!” Jiyeon exclaimed happily, like she never said a gross thing earlier.

Hyoyeon burrowed her eyebrow in confusion. “What wheelchair?”

Kangin was the one who answered her. “Mom borrowed her co-worker’s wheelchair, So that, it won’t be too hard for dad to travel. She would just push him around.”

“Yeah! And dad said that he would let mom sit on his lap so she won’t get tired and he would wheeled them to where mom wants to go to.” Jiyeon said excitedly, her childhood innocence didn’t see the absurdity of that.

But Hyoyeon just smiled. In her mind, she’s picturing what her parents are doing at this moment. She also silently hopes that whatever Sooyoung really feels will be answered immediately so the tall girl could experience the love that her own parents have –minus the nonsense fighting of course.

Hyoyeon deeply sighed then opened the bag of doughnuts that now lay on top of their kitchen table.

“So… I think we’re just the one who will devour these” The oldest said referring to the doughnuts.

“Yay!!” the kids cried in joy.

 

 

Meanwhile, at the Choi house, Sooyoung was holding her cellphone that was now fully charged.

She was sitting at the side of her bed while reading Jessica’s recent text.

 

I’m worried. Pls give me a call or even a txt :(

 

It’s one of 20 or so text messages that Jessica sent her all day.

With a sigh, she tapped the call button then brought her cellphone to her ear…and waits.

 

 

Jessica’s room’s only light was the dim light that came from her TV where an action movie plays.

She was sitting back against Taecyeon’s broad chest while the latter was absentmindedly playing with her hair and too engrossed to the movie.

Her father was still at work and her mother was at her friend’s house. Her younger sister Krystal was at her own room and doing her homework or might be sleeping already right now (they both love to sleep, they’re sisters after all.) The maid could be anywhere in the house or already sleeping as well.

Jessica would steal a glance every now and then at her phone that was on the top of her side table. Waiting or more like hoping for her bestfriend’s response even though they will likely see each other tomorrow at school.

“Hey, are you waiting for someone’s call or something? You’re doing that since I arrived here.” Taecyeon suddenly asked his voice was laced with jealousy.

 Jessica rolled her eyes. Her boyfriend’s possessiveness was already getting on her nerves. It’s so annoying!

She adjusted her body to be able to face her boyfriend then she cupped Taecyeon’s side of face by one hand “it’s nothing” she murmured and then proceeded to kiss his lips softly. This always works to shut him up.

She was just about to pull out but one of Taecyeon’s hands cupped the back of her neck and pulled her more onto him. The kiss was getting rough and passionate but she just let him, though she’s ready to push him hard away from her if it escalates from there.

Taecyeon was about to run his free hand to his girlfriend’s smooth flesh when a sound rung out in the room, completely ruined the mood.

The jock tried to continue by kissing the girl’s neck that he knew where her very sensitive spot was.But Jessica just pushed him away and then snatched her cellphone from her side table. She hides her smile when she saw the name and face of Sooyoung on the screen.

“I need to answer this” she said as she stood up and walked towards her balcony without waiting for a reply.

Taecyeon just glared at her and then slammed his hand on the bed frustratingly. He gathered his things and walked out the room and to the house without saying goodbye to his girlfriend.

 

 

On the other hand, Sooyoung was anxiously waiting for the other girl to answer her call even though it’s just only a couple of seconds that passed since she tapped the call button.

After the fourth ring, someone finally answered.

 

“Hello?” greeted by a smooth voice.

 

Sooyoung’s heart skipped a beat.

 

So this is the sound of the voice of someone you love.

 

The tall girl gulped before she responds.

 

“Hey” she uttered, patting herself on the back, mentally, for not stuttering and to be able to sound normal.

 

Sooyoung could hear a scoff on the other line, “Why didn’t you answer my call and text? I was trying to reach you since Friday” she could also –almost – hear the pout on Jessica’s voice.

 

Sooyoung smiled, finding it incredibly adorable.

 

“Sorry” the tall girl said simply, though she means it genuinely. She just can’t tell Jessica why.

 

The older girl sighed deeply on the other line. She wouldn’t get anything from the girl. Sooyoung was always like that, saying something simple expecting that it will explain everything. But she accepts the apology anyway. “Oh well… just don’t do that again, okay? We’re bestfriends so don’t try to avoid me again, alright?”

 

Sooyoung froze, the smile completely vanished from her lips.

 

 

Bestfriends.

 

 

It’s the second time that she was slapped by simple words today. First, it was Yuri and the word ‘In Love’. Now, it was the one who she supposedly be ‘in love’ to.

 

 

Words hurts

 

 

“Sooyoung?” Jessica called her again when she didn’t answer.

The tall girl smiled bitterly.

 

“Right… we’re bestfriends.”

 

It hurts.

 

 

Sooyoung’s eyes were immediately clouded by tears. Hyoyeon was right, love is truly painful.

 

“I’m sorry.” She whispered, choking back her tears. Not really understand why she’s saying sorry for feeling that way just because of a simple words that uttered by her bestfriend.

 

But fortunately, Jessica didn’t notice and misunderstood what she’s talking about.

 

“Oh stop that! I already forgiven you…anyway, what happened? Why did you visit the hospital? Are you okay?”

 

And just like that, Sooyoung swallowed her tears and hurt feelings; she painted a genuine smile on her lips and answered her bestfriend’s bunch of questions. She slipped in the role as the bestfriend naturally.

 

How funny it is that she’s now only playing that role. The ‘falling-in-love-with-my-bestfriend’ only happened two almost three days ago and realized just hours earlier. But now, she feels like she couldn’t take that part anymore.

 

 

That Monday morning was a blurred for Sooyoung, before she knew it she’s already at school and surrounded by her friends.

She barely even noticed when Tiffany gave her a hug at the same manner she always does.

“I got you again Sooyoung.” Tiffany giggled while hugging the tall girl from behind.

But the smile on her lips slowly faded when the reaction she always gets from the tall girl didn’t came.

Tiffany slowly untangled herself from Sooyoung then looked at the latter’s face. The tall girl’s face was flushed while looking at someone. Tiffany followed her line of sight only to clench her fist when she realized who it was that Sooyoung was looking at.

“Yay! We’re now complete!” Sunny suddenly exclaimed resulting for the others to look at her weirdly.

Jessica who was busy playing with her phone quickly looked up, automatically looking for someone. She didn’t have to look for long though because her eyes immediately landed to that someone… because that someone was already looking at her.

A smile quickly graced her lips. “Hi Sooyoung” she greeted happily, completely oblivious to the said girl’s struggles.

 

Sooyoung could only gulp. Her heart was beating wildly in her chest. She didn’t even notice that Tiffany excused herself and already left her side and then proceeded to walk away from them… but quickly followed by someone. Someone who is… small.

 

No! Sooyoung did not notice it at all, because she’s too busy on admiring Jessica’s smile for her.

 

So this is what it feels like when the one you love smiles at you. She thought but quickly chastised herself.

 

Last night, after their phone conversation and Sooyoung was already lying on her bed in her dark room, she decided something.

 

She will fight it! She will try her very best to fight this feeling for Jessica. She will not accept it! She will not let herself fall.

 

 

Surely she can do that, right?

 

“Okay, Okay!” Sunny interrupted. “Now I could use this professional camera that my boyfriend bought for me” she held up the item proudly. “So please gather at the front of that big tree” she points at the big tree where Jessica was already standing. “So I could take pictures of us and my boyfriend wants a copy…so now, move!” she ordered in which the others just follow.

 

Well, except for one.

 

“I only want a picture of me and Sooyoung unnie” Seohyun said as she crossed her arms.

 

Sunny and Yuri rolled their eyes.

 

“I will take a picture of you two together later, but now, we need a group picture. You can choose who you want to be next to” Sunny coaxed the maknae. Already used to the maknae’s behavior that’s why she already knows what to do.

 

Seohyun think for a moment but eventually relented.

 

“Okay, I want to stand beside Unnie, Ahjumma, Ahjussi and skinny lips” Seohyun decided, referring to Sooyoung, Tiffany, Hyoyeon and Yoona, respectively.

 

Sunny could only agree but halted when she realized that ‘Ahjumma’ and ‘Pabo’ (Seohyun’s nickname for Taeyeon) was not with them.

“Where are Tiffany and Taeyeon?” she asked the group.

 


 

Tiffany’s fists were still clenched at the top of the sink inside one of the school’s comfort room.

She wants to punch something with it but she knows that she can’t.

Her whole demeanor quickly changed though when the door of the C.R. suddenly opens. A smile quickly placed on her lips when she saw Taeyeon walks in.

“Oh, it’s you.” She cheerfully said as she turned to face the mirror. She took her lip gloss inside her bag then proceeded to apply it on her lips.

Taeyeon just smiled at her hesitantly then proceeded to wash her hands on the sink. Should I tell her or not?

 


 

“Aish! Those two!” Sunny muttered, irritated. She turned to the rest “Okay, let’s take a couple of shots before the bell rings.” She called out a random student and sweetly asked for a favor to take a picture of them using the camera.

While Sunny taught how to use the camera to the awkward student, Sooyoung was frozen to the spot. Jessica was on her other side, if she takes a couple of steps closer their shoulder will surely touch.

 

She blushed furiously at the thought of that. It seems that her plan of forcing herself to stop her feelings for her bestfriend before it goes deeper will just go into waste.

 

It’s hard to fight those feelings.

 

 

But… does she really have to?

 

 

“Sooyoung, move closer to Jessica” Sunny suddenly ordered, completely breaking her thoughts.

“W-what?” she asked dumbly as she looked around her. Sunny was already between Hyoyeon and Yuri and the student was already fumbling with the camera on his hand, about to take their picture.

Sooyoung turned to Jessica who also gestured to move closer to her.

 


 

Tiffany turned to Taeyeon after applying the lip gloss on her lips. “Does this suit me?” she asked, referring to the glossy of her lips.

Taeyeon turned then froze. Her heart starts to beats fast while looking at Tiffany’s lips. She’s enthralled.

The smaller girl’s feet, as if having a mind of its own, started to take a step closer to Tiffany. And within just a couple of seconds their lips met.

 


 

And just like that, as Sooyoung took a one step closer to Jessica, her will to fight her feelings for the latter completely crushed at the same time.

 

What a hopeless fight she had there. Just the mere presence of Jessica made her will waver instantly.

 

 

“…Sometimes, you need to let yourself fall”

 

 

That’s what Hyoyeon told her.

 

And she did...

 

…finally.

 

And now that she finally admitted to herself that she truly fell in love with her bestfriend the overcoming feeling she always feels since that happened, suddenly lightened.

 

She could breathe easily now.

 

Sooyoung was about to take another step closer to Jessica but the latter beat her to that.

 

 

Jessica stepped closer to her instead.

 

 

Once their shoulders touched and hands brushed to each other, an electricity-like something instantly ran through Sooyoung’s body.

Jessica turned to her and gave her a small smile then proceeded to look forward where the ‘cameraman’ is. But Sooyoung just stayed.  She just keeps on looking on Jessica’s face until a smile slowly formed on her lips.

Sooyoung suddenly felt a surge of courage in her system.

She barely even notice the flashed of camera for she was too busy engulfing Jessica’s hand with her own.

Sooyoung knows that this braveness that she’s feeling right now is only temporary.

It may waver in the next couple of hours, days or weeks. But she didn’t care.

 

What important is the ‘now’.

 

And right now she’s not afraid to whatever the outcome of her decision might be. She can’t even wait to take more…

 

…and more…

 

…and more steps…closer to Jessica.

 

And maybe, hopefully someday, Jessica might take a step closer to her too.

 

 

Hyoyeon was right.

 

 

Love is the most wonderful thing that will ever happen to someone…

 

…but Sooyoung also knows that…

 


 

…it can also be the most painful thing.

A sound of slap rang through the four walls of the comfort room.

Taeyeon’s hand was cupping her own cheek as she looked wide eyed at Tiffany, horrified.

She didn’t know what came to her. Her real plan was to confess her feelings for Tiffany. Feelings that started the first time she saw her when they were in middle school and escalates from then on.

She spent her weekend comparing the pros and cons if she will do confess. Monday morning came and the pros weighed more. So she decided to do that when she find an alone time with Tiffany.

And when that ‘alone time’ came, she just have to messed it up! She kissed the girl for dumbsake!

 

“Why did you kissed me?”

A chill run through Taeyeon’s spine when she heard that very familiar tone of voice of the girl she used to know.

 

…the Tiffany that she used to know.

 

 

Taeyeon just cracked the mask of the real Tiffany Hwang.

Because the one who’s standing in front of Taeyeon right now was not the sweet, bubbly and angel-liked girl that everyone wants to be friends with; instead, it was the cold and cruel girl that everyone in their middle school despised the most.

 

 

Except for Taeyeon

 

Because Taeyeon will never dislike Tiffany...

 

 

...she loves her.

 

 

Taeyeon took a step closer to Tiffany, about to apologize. But the latter stepped back.

 

 

Tiffany took a step back… away from her.

 

 

Taeyeon’s heart clenched painfully. That hurts more than the slap.

She felt the sting in her eyes because of the impending tears but she tried her very best to control it.

 

She’s pathetic enough without it.

 

“I ask again. Why did y-” Tiffany was cut off by the door being opened by someone.

A student poked her head at the door then smiled when she realized who it was inside the bathroom.

The mask quickly slipped back on Tiffany’s face. Her demeanor changed completely. In place is the friendly and lovely Tiffany.

 

Taeyeon just watched.

 

Tiffany offered her sweet smile to the student. “You can use this now for yourself, we’re about to leave” she smiled again while the student just looked at her, admiring how approachable she is.

Tiffany started to walk towards the door but stop just beside Taeyeon who was still stood frozen. She brought her lips closer to the latter’s ear. With her coldest and vicious tone, she whispered.

 

 

“You disgust me.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: hello guys! sorry for the late update...btw, thank you soooo much for supporting my fic, you guys are the best :)...oh right, nonamereally mentioned something about the soundtrack, actually guys the idea of this story came when I was stalking soosica on youtube while listening to my ipod (I love multitasking lol) then the "ONE LOVE" randomly played...so that's it. It is  "ONE LOVE", ost from the korean drama SPRING WALTS...if you want to listen to it to gets the mood and some of the emotions of this story, try the english version. Though both versions are great, it is just that I don't understand korean language...so...uhm yeah I'm already rambling...okay thank you for reading my second chapter.