☀ Chapter One ☀

Bloom of the Sun

              

Sooyoung could think three reasons why she considered herself different from the other kids when she was young.

 

First, she's so mature for her own age. She was 3 years old when her father died from heart failure. His medication cost a lot of money. That’s why they are broke by the time her father was already buried.

Little Sooyoung cried the whole time that day when they buried her father.

But the next day, she woke up early. She cleaned up her room as much as her little self could do. She showered after that and without having breakfast, little Sooyoung expertly opened their front door and run across the street where her cousins lives.

Mrs. Kwon was surprised when she opened her door and Sooyoung was there. Little Seohyun, who was sulking earlier, squealed in delight in her mother’s arms upon seeing her favorite cousin.

Before Mrs. Kwon could open to ask her niece why she was there at this awfully early morning, Sooyoung beat her as she already asking for a favor.

"Can I hewp you to your bukstowe? I pwomise I won't asked that much for a salawy."

The woman could only agree hesitantly. She brought Sooyoung to their humble bookstore after she asked permission, of course, to her sister who is the mother of Sooyoung. Yuri who heard about it demanded to bring her along, she wouldn't missed any of fun. And also Seohyun, their mother knew better not to upset that 2 year old toddler again.

Of course, it all turned out disastrous. Sooyoung who tried to be a helpful ‘low paid’ employee at first by arranging the books by size (well, she’s only 3 years old, after all) was convinced by Yuri to just leave it and play with her instead. Being a kid and just hearing the word 'play', Sooyoung quickly agreed.

By the end of the day when it was time to go home. Sooyoung received her first own earned money. Her smile was so big that Mrs. Kwon gave her more money.

Of course, Yuri saw that and decided to copy her cousin. But Mrs. Kwon just laughed at her then patted her cheeks affectionately. “How cute” she cooed then left.

Yuri sulked the whole time they are in the car on their way back home.

When Sooyoung got home, she runs straight to her mother who was waiting for her at the front of their house. Little Sooyoung gave her a tight hug then presented her hands full of money to her mother. "See, we are not bwoke anymore" she said and grinned proudly.

 

The second reason was, by the time she's 4, almost 5 years old, she was diagnosed with the same illness her father had.

Her family was so devastated, especially her mother and sister.

Her mother work as thrice as she ever worked after her father leaved them. Her sister also took part time jobs to help their mother.

She couldn't tell them to stop over exerting themselves because she, herself, got worse every passing day. She couldn’t even go home; she just stayed in her lonely room at the hospital.

Because of that, her childhood never had been the same again as before she got sick. She can't play as much as she played before. She can't laugh, be afraid or be upset that much because any of that can cause her heart to stop beating.

Slowly, the happy child with a friendly attitude and contagious smile lost her light.

 

And the last reason was, at her very young age of 6 she already found the most beautiful thing in the world, for her.

Looking at the open window on the left side of her hospital room, little Sooyoung’s left hand was reaching out as if to touch the red-orange sky that framed by her window. Her lips were curved with a childish smile from behind the oxygen mask. Her heart was beating so fast but she barely acknowledged the beeping from the heart monitor attached to her chest. Because what she’s feeling in her heart that moment was not that familiar pain she endured every time her disease made itself known, but rather, what she felt was a kind of warm, an overcoming warm that filled in the loneliness she’s feeling inside and brought back that lost light. It’s as if the sun transferred some of its rays and heat in her system.

From then on, she got interested on painting and sketching because she always feels that kind of itch on her hands whenever she saw a beautiful thing, she wanted to draw every one of them. Nature was always her subject but her most favorite was to paint the bleeding sky during sunset.

 

 

Sooyoung squint her eye as she kept on looking up to the sky. Her right arm was raised to the sky. For others, it looks like she’s just blocking her eyes from the striking blaze of sun, but in reality, she was feeling the heat up that comes from the sun to her hands. And also, she also finds it amusing to look up at her hand while the lights slightly seep through it.

“Yah! Sooyoung!”

Sooyoung let down her hand then turned to the source of the voice that called her.

Yuri Kwon, her cousin approached her with that mischievous smile on her lips.

“I always knew that you’re crazy and all, but from what I saw you’ve been doing earlier, I think you just brought the craziness into a whole new level.” Yuri

Sooyoung just chuckled then start walking to the direction of their school. It’s only a 15 minutes’ walk distance from their house.

Yuri followed her lead but halted when she realized that her younger sister was not with them anymore. She just took something inside their house that she forgot and asked them to wait for her, but it seems that only Sooyoung waited for her.

“Where’s Seohyun?” Yuri asked anyway.

The taller girl cleared then starts to recite “I hardly can accept the fact that I breathe the same air, she breathes. But letting people see that I am with her every day is just beyond torture”

Yuri, confused, gave her a look. “What?”

Sooyoung just shrugged. “Her words, not mine” she said then continued her walking, leaving the other behind.

Upon realizing what her cousin meant, Yuri quickly runs up to her, annoyed. “Aish, that brat! I knew it! I should really just sneak her out and left her in the trashcan when she was still a defenseless and… pink baby. So that, before our parents noticed that she was gone the garbage truck already wheeled her away!” Yuri crossed her arms. “Now I can’t do that anymore!” she huffed.

Sooyoung laughed, amused by her cousins silliness. “You don’t mean that. Besides, she’s just being her adorable self.”

Yuri’s jaw dropped and looked at her as if she’s gone crazy. “Adorable? What a-” Yuri over dramatically calmed her breathes. “Do you know that she always bring a stun gun with her? And she said that she couldn’t wait to use that to me if I do something, even a little, to upset her. That’s what you call adorable? Are you insane?”

Sooyoung just laughed again. That’s so Seohyun.

“Yah! Don’t laugh at me. Just because she adores you and calls you that sickeningly sweet Unnie” Yuri said, imitating how Seohyun sounds. “I mean, she never calls me that and I am her sister. She calls me Baka. It’s not even korean.”

Sooyoung just shakes her head with a smile on her lips. “Okay. You can continue your complaints later. We need to hurry now. The first bell will ring soon, come on” she starts to walk faster.

“Okay, okay, sheesh” Yuri quickly walked after the taller girl.

 

 

Lunch time came quickly. Sooyoung is currently sorting her stuff that are inside her locker.

She picked 3 books for her afternoon classes; she doesn’t want to come back here later after lunch because her next classroom was on the other side of the building.

She’s just about to put the books inside her messenger bag when one of the books slipped from her hands then followed by the other two.

She sighed. She’s so clumsy sometimes.

She quickly bends down to pick up the books but by the time that she’s about to pick the last one, it’s already on someone else’s hands.

Sooyoung looks up and straightened her posture. She was greeted by the face of Donghae, who was giving her a small, almost, hesitant smile.

“Here” Donghae hands her book over.

“Oh, thanks” she quickly put it in her bag together with other books.

Donghae watched Sooyoung carefully while the latter was busy on what she was doing. He opens his mouth to say something but close it again immediately.

Maybe later, he decided to his thoughts.

Sooyoung looks up again, this time, with a smile of gratitude on her lips. “Thanks again.”

Her smile always lights up her whole face, so beautiful. He admired, but quickly blushed when he saw the look of confusion on Sooyoung’s face. She totally sees me daydreaming, .

“So, umm” he scratched the back of his head, embarrassed. “See you again later, bye Sooyoung.” The way he pronounced her name was with such adoration, in which, only added to Sooyoung’s confusion.

Before she could answer back, Donghae already walked towards the path where the school gym was.

Sooyoung just followed him by her gaze. Still feeling confuse by his behavior earlier.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, she was tackled by a hug from behind. She squeaked a little but composed herself instantly when she realized who that was.

Tiffany giggled. “I got you Sooyoung” she said and carryon hugging the tall girl from behind.

“Tiffany!” Sooyoung admonished. “You will give me a heart attack when you keep on doing that.”

Tiffany just giggled again but this time, she released the hug, only to clings to Sooyoung’s right arm and then proceeded to lay her head at the top of the tall girl’s shoulder. “No I’m not. Your heart is strong now remember?”

After all the surgeries and number of medications, Sooyoung was recovered fully. Though she still takes her daily dose of medicines for maintenance and she‘s still not allowed exerting herself too much, both physically and emotionally. All her close friends knew that painful past of her. Thanks to her very garrulous cousin, oh, and it’s not Seohyun.

Speaking of the devil

“Yah! Cut it out Lesbos! We have to go to the lunchroom, real quick. My stomach is begging for food now.” Yuri said who’s already walking to the direction of their school canteen, without waiting for them.

Sooyoung was about to reprimand Yuri for what she called them, she’s not lesbian! But when her cousin mentioned the word ‘food’, her stomach, as if having a mind of its own, quickly agreed.

“Come now Tiff, before my cousin eat up all the food” Sooyoung said eagerly as she dragged the chuckling Tiffany with her.

 

 

On one of the long rectangle tables of the school canteen situated the group of friends of five – originally 9 -, while the other three is still missing because of their cheerleading stuff. The other one, who is Tiffany, who upon entering the entrance of the lunchroom was dragged right away by her two group mates. They said something about finishing their project then proceeded to walked out the canteen with a pouting Tiffany with them.

The remaining five, the juniors, namely: Sunny, Yuri and Sooyoung, and the sophomores: Yoona and Seohyun.

Yuri, who already finished her food but still feels hungry, was trying but failing to steal food from the others plate. Her main target is Sooyoung not just because her tray was still more than half full even though they ate at the same time (Sooyoung eats food more than the amount Yuri eats but she chew her food very slow, she adopt it from when she’s still suffering from heart condition. Don’t really get why.), But also because she does not have any other choices. Sunny is the easiest target because she’s more focused on ting with her boyfriend than eating, but her plate is full of vegetables and other vegetarian staff in which Yuri couldn’t even think to consider on eating. There is Seohyun who eats quietly besides Sooyoung who’s across from her, she seems defenseless and could easily - for her - to steal food to but the stun gun innocently lying beside Seohyun’s plate told her otherwise. While on the other side of her little sister, sits Yoona but her food is almost gone already.

Yuri’s formulating plan to steal food was cut short when the two of their friends came up. They have already tray of foods on their hands.

“Here comes the pabo.” Seohyun muttered to herself, referring to Taeyeon, as she continues to eat. Better finished this fast before the other idiot came. She quickly ate her food.

“YO!” Hyoyeon greets them as she situated herself to one of the vacant seat. She dug in quickly; they only have 25 minutes to eat after all.

Taeyeon was itching to reprimand her fellow cheerleader for her brusque manners but willed herself against it. She’s tired anyways. They just finished their meeting and as the team leader, she done most the talking, the planning…Oh right! She had done all the work! Isn’t that fantastic?

Sighing, she laid her tray in front of her then proceeded to take her napkin and laid it over her lap carefully. She makes sure that her utensils are clean and perfectly aligned to each other on each side of the plate.

Taeyeon looked disgustingly at the food on her plate. She will make sure to not forget her lunch food that she herself prepared next time. After taking a deep breath, she starts to eat.

Upon realizing that her bestfriend does not yet arrive, Sooyoung looked around her. When she couldn’t find the missing girl, she turned to Taeyeon.

“Where’s Jessica?”

Taeyeon swallowed her food first before answering. “I don’t know, I think she ca-” she cutted herself off when she noticed Jessica just entered the canteen. “Oh, there she is.”

Unbeknownst to them, Seohyun already sneaked out from her seat and out to the cafeteria.

Sooyoung turned around to look at the entrance. There is Jessica, walking tiredly towards their table.

The tall girl turned back to Taeyeon when she heard the latter made a sound of disapproval.

“All, that girl done on our meeting was to, dozed off, what a lazy brat.” Taeyeon said while shaking her head.

“Oh give me a break, midget!” Jessica said, annoyed. She heard what their team leader said about her, well, Taeyeon obviously want her to hear that. Jessica plopped down to the seat besides Sooyoung. “I barely got sleep last night and I’m not myself if I didn’t get my 8 hours of sleep at night.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes to that, but didn’t comment.

Jessica huffed then pulled out her cellphone from her pocket.

Sooyoung curiously turned to her. “Why didn’t you have enough sleep last night?”

Jessica turned off her phone when all she saw was Taecyeon’s new messages and missed calls; she slipped it again inside her pocket. She turned to Sooyoung then shrugged. “Because of some boring stuff, you know, Taecyeon’s stuff” she said the last word suggestively and she knows that Sooyoung will understand the meaning behind it.

Meanwhile, beside them, Yoona halted her movement when she heard the name of Taecyeon. But she quickly composed herself then continued to drink her soda.

“Oh” Sooyoung’s only response. Getting Jessica’s meaning quickly. These past few days, Jessica always whined to her about Taecyeon persistence of taking their relationship to the next level or more precisely, to the more physical level.

Sooyoung was aware that Jessica was not a anymore. But that doesn’t mean that the latter will agree to that intimacy easily just because she already has experience.

“Yeah, ‘Oh’, Ugh, boyfriends just make my life more complicated” Jessica plopped down her head to the top of her arms that’s lying on the table.

Yuri, who was busy stealing food from Hyoyeon and Taeyeon’s plate, perked up when she heard the word boyfriend. Her face lights up when she realized something she forgot.

“YAH!” she suddenly screamed, pointing her spoon to Sooyoung accusingly. The people near their table halted their movements then looked at them weirdly. Jessica who was dozing off that time jumped up from her seat slightly.

When she realized that there’s nothing seriously wrong, Jessica turned her gaze to Yuri with that infamous icy glare of hers. “YOU-”

“SOOYOUNG WAS FLIRTING WITH DONGHAE EARLIER.” Yuri blurted out in one breath. That’s not really what she saw earlier when she and Tiffany were walking towards Sooyoung’s locker to fetch the girl. She was about to call and then question her cousin about that when they saw Donghae walked away but Tiffany beat her to that and just swift away and tackled the tall girl suddenly. The next thing she knew, her stomach was growling and she completely forgot about that, until now.

Yuri’s real intention was to ask – more on demand - Sooyoung on what they are talking about. She’s just concern because Donghae have this reputation of being a playboy and besides, he’s Jessica’s ex and also the one who took the blonde’s ity. But when Jessica gave her that gut-wrenching, horrifying icy glare of hers, – who have mind of its own – just saved her .

Everyone who heard that whipped their head to Sooyoung, mouth agape. While Sooyoung, whose jaw just dropped to the ground, putted it back in place then turned to her beloved cousin.

“He just helped me on my stuff, you pabo!” Sooyoung spat, proceeding to explain what really happened earlier while Yuri continues to contradicts her.

Unbeknownst to them, Jessica who was now quietly sitting beside Sooyoung, felt like she was just splashed by cold water.

 

 

It's 2:20 that afternoon when the school director announced that the classes onwards were cancelled. Most of the students don’t know the reason why because they are too busy planning where to hang out, that includes the group of 9 minus 1 (her reason was, she exposed herself enough to their infectious idiocy so she needs to quarantine herself right away. After Seohyun failed attempt to convinced her Sooyoung Unnie to come with her instead, she flew away instantly). The remaining 8 voted where to go, and of course the majority voted Norebang!

 

 

After occupying one of the norebangs, Yuri, Hyoyeon, Sunny and Tiffany immediately started to sing and dance to their heart’s content. While the rest, cheered for them. Well, except for one who was too lost to her own thoughts to notice what’s happening around her.

When its Yoona’s turned to sing, she chooses a love song then dedicated it to her beloved ‘Oppa’ which earned her a teasing remarks from her Unnies. Her face was flushed while she was singing.

Hyoyeon asked Taeyeon what she wanted to sing. Taeyeon wants to say a duet song, but when she sneaks a glance on Tiffany’s direction, the latter was so busy choosing a song over the song book with Sooyoung. So she answered Hyoyeon that she will decide later instead.

Sunny was next and she chooses a y song. She performs it with gusto. Her singing voice and dance was so ual that some of them blushed while watching Sunny. Well, it was except for Yuri and Hyoyeon who both loudly cheers for her. Sunny stopped halfway though, because one of the employees checked on them from the glass panel of the door. After that, they burst out laughing.

Next were Sooyoung and Tiffany who sings a duet. They did some sweet and silly gestures to each other while Taeyeon was watching them with a less enthusiastic mood.

They are laughing and giggling by the time they finished their song.

Sooyoung sat down beside Jessica while Tiffany sings another song. She glanced at the blonde, who was unusually quiet since from when they were at school. Well, yeah she’s not like Yuri who talks a lot but she joins the fun and never this quiet before. She even let Taeyeon fixed her collar that was not folded the same way as the other side, normally her reaction to that was to barked at Taeyeon to leave her collar alone. But she didn’t even flinched earlier when Taeyeon suddenly grabbed it; it’s as if she’s not even aware of it.

“I’m just going out” Jessica suddenly whispered to her ear. The blonde girl stood up and went towards the door without waiting for her reply.

Sooyoung decided immediately to follow her. She gestured to Yuri that she was just going outside with Jessica; Yuri only gave her thumbs up then continues to sing along with Tiffany.

Meanwhile, Tiffany’s smile slipped from her lips when she saw Sooyoung’s about to follow the blonde girl outside. Sunny nudged her, asking what makes her stop. Tiffany answered her with a shake of a head then she slipped back her sweet smile to her face and continues to sing.

 

 

Sica!” Sooyoung called out when she came outside the establishment. Jessica was already walking aimlessly by the sidewalk but halted when she heard someone calling out her name.

She turned then smiled a little when she saw that it’s Sooyoung. I should ask her about it. She thought then she beckoned to Sooyoung to accompany her, though unnecessary, because the latter was already walking towards her.

“So, what are you doing?” Sooyoung asked when they start to walk again.

The shorter girl just shrugged then grabbed Sooyoung’s hand. “Nothing, I just want to breathe some fresh air.”

Satisfied by the answer, Sooyoung nodded.

The two just walked aimlessly and quietly while holding each other hands for a couple of minutes.

But Jessica’s mind was far from being quiet. Her mind was full of thoughts about her bestfriend and ex-boyfriend since that incident at the lunchroom earlier. Right now, she’s debating with herself whether to ask Sooyoung about Donghae or not. She wanted to know if Sooyoung does feel some attraction towards the guy.

She doesn’t, right? Just the thought of it makes her heart throbbed painfully, because she felt threatened.

 

Threatened of what might this will cause to their friendship.

 

Jessica and Sooyoung share a special kind of friendship. From the first time they met at the hospital playground when they were very young.

 

“Hi, I’m Choi Sooyoung” little Sooyoung presented her small hand to little Jessica.

 

And when they met again, sophomore year, when she transferred back in Korea.

 

Jessica stands in front of the class. With a cold voice, she introduced. ”I’m Jessica Jung, I’m from America...”

 

Till now that they are juniors. Sure, she now have group of friends who even were empty-headed sometimes, were always there for her.

 

But Sooyoung is different.

 

The possibility of the tall girl spent less time with her because she’s more focused to her romantic relationship with a boy is unthinkable for her.

Jessica’s train of thoughts was broken when she felt a slight tugged on her hand that is intertwined with Sooyoung’s hand. She looked up to the said girl.

“You’re thinking way too hard, it’s not good for your brain, you know.” Sooyoung teased.

Jessica gave her a cold glare - but only last for a second - the blonde girl laughs and proceeded to hit the tall girl on the shoulder. “Pabo!”

Sooyoung just grinned even though Jessica’s hit stings a little. At least she made the girl laugh.

A silence soon followed after that.

Then, suddenly, Jessica tightened her hold to Sooyoung’s hand.

“I will always be your bestfriend right?” Jessica asked softly. There’s a hint of desperation and vulnerability in her voice.

Jessica needs assurance that even if Sooyoung found someone she wants to romantically involved with; she will still be there by her side, as her bestfriend.

 

Because… Jessica needs Sooyoung.

 

She needs….

 

Little Jessica hesitantly accepted the strange girl’s hand who introduced herself as ‘Sooyoung’. But by the time their hand touched she let out an inaudible gasp. She felt something strange. Warm, that’s what she felt. Warm that penetrated into her very soul. And from that moment, she knew that this strange girl will play a big part to her dull life.

 

 

… That kind of warm…

 

 

…that warm that only Sooyoung can provide her.

 

 

After introducing herself in front of the class, the teacher pointed to Jessica where to seat to; it’s at the middle of the last row. She situated herself and just about to start taking notes when a tap to her shoulder caught her attention. She turned to give the person her icy glare to back off. But her eyes turned wide instead when she saw the familiar face of her childhood friend. “Welcome back, Sica.” Sooyoung said, grinning to the dumbstruck blonde. And there it was again, the warm that can only melt her ice.

 

 

Yeah, Jessica definitely needs that.

 

Sooyoung was about to give a witty reply but when she saw the emotions on her bestfriends face, she willed herself against it.

“Of course” Jessica looked up to her with her wide eyes. The tall girl chuckled. “bestfriend forever.”

A smile slowly formed to Jessica’s lips then after a couple of seconds, both of them burst out laughing.

“We are so mushy, gosh!” Jessica laughed but deep inside she felt relieved. Though, there still this pinch deep inside her heart that she couldn’t fathom what yet.

“Oh wait, my laces are loose.” Sooyoung sat down to fix her loose shoelaces.

Waiting for Sooyoung, Jessica absentmindedly looked up to the sky. A smile crept up to her face instantly.

“Sooyoung look! It’s already sunset.” Jessica pointed out eagerly, she knew how obsessed the tall girl to sunset. Sunset was Sooyoung’s favorite subject to paint.

Upon hearing the girl, Sooyoung looked up instantly though she stayed on her sitting position.

Sooyoung suddenly let out a gasped. Her heart start beating fast like never before, she could also feel the itch in her hands to grab a pencil, a camera or anything that she can use to capture this very breathtaking view.

 

This is like what she felt that moment, that moment from her distant memory.

 

Looking at the open window on the left side of her hospital room, little Sooyoung’s left hand was reaching out as if to touch the red-orange sky that framed by her window. Her lips were curved with a childish smile from behind the oxygen mask.

 

No! It’s not the same; it’s actually more than that. What she’s feeling right now is more intense and quite frightening, for she has no idea on what it is.

 

Looking at the smiling face of her bestfriend who’s looking at the sunset and completely oblivious from the tall girls penetrating gaze to her, Sooyoung decided, that it is the most beautiful thing she ever saw in her 16 years of life.

 

More beautiful than that sunset she saw from her window when she was a child and was lying on her hospital bed.

 

For Jessica’s face was glowing with the shades of light that comes from the setting sun. It’s so perfect that it seems like the sun shines just for her and the sky was always her background.

 

It’s like she painted the sky by her beauty. Sooyoung thought, still in awed as her heart still beats rapidly but strangely comforting.

 

What is this feeling? Sooyoung thought again as she placed one of her hand on top of her chest where her heart is.