Memories

It's Cold Outside

“Ouch!! Hyung, what the hell?” Jonghyun exclaimed as he sat up in his chair and rubbed the spot on the back of his head that his friend had just assaulted.

“Well next time you keep your fat face out the way while I’m cleaning my bar.” The older boy said as he pulled an antibacterial wipe from its container and wiped the bar clean.

“Why are you still here anyways? Don’t you have to work today?” Chanhee asked him as he walked around cleaning off the tables in the bar.

“I don’t have to be at work for another few hours.” The bored teen replied while casually following his friend around like his shadow (which was getting on his nerves).

The older finally had enough after turning around and bumping into for the fifth time, “Look if you have to be here then you’re helping me clean up!” He put down the container of wipes, walked to the back room and came out with a sweeper.

“Here,” he shoved it in Jonghyun’s hands, “get all those crumbs and off the floor.”

Jonghyun shrugged, “Okay”.

Chanhee stared at the boy in confusion when he made no fuss and actually started sweeping the floor. He decided to test him, “Hey after you’re done with that I need you to throw the trash out for me.”

“Yeah sure hyung.”

Something was wrong, “And after that I want you to help me clean the restrooms. I think someone threw up in there last night.”

“Yeah, okay.”

Now he was sure of it, “Okay? Did you not here what I just said?”

“Yeah I heard you. What’s the problem?” The boy frowned at him.

“Why don’t you tell me? Eunjung noona’s been telling me how you’ve been moping around here the past week. And you’re all mopey today too! What’s your deal?”

“It’s…………nothing.” He said with his back turned to Chanhee.

“Nothing? You’re actually helping me clean and you don’t even clean up after your own damn self!”

Jonghyun only shrugged his response.

“This wouldn’t have anything to do with a certain lil cutie you were chattin up last week?” Chanhee said with a smirk.

Jonghyun froze for a moment while he tried to think up a clever reply “…………no.” He was about to take Chanhee’s silence as a sign he was done with his questions when he looked up and yelped in surprise (louder than he’d ever admit to anyone) to find his friend right in his face.

“Yah!” Jonghyun yelped, and jumped back.

Chanhee snickered at him, “Wow must’ve been pretty good.”

“Say what?” The redhead was confused.

“Oh come on now, I know you took him home with you that night! You think I wouldn’t find out? Psssh, baby I know EVERYTHING.” The older crossed his arms in front of his chest at stared a hole through his friend.

“Ugh, dammit who told you?” Jonghyun said as he flopped down at one of the tables and banged his head on it.

“Ji noona of course,” he took the seat across from the boy, “you know that girl can’t keep shut. Though for Minsoo hyung that’s actually one of her good qualities.”

Jonghyun looked up at him and rolled his eyes as the other laughed at his own joke (he always does.

“Look hyung it’s not like that.”  He bit his plump bottom lip and stared down at his hands, “He’s not like that.”

“Meaning?” He motioned for him to continue on.

“Meaning, we talked, I made him frozen pizza, and he slept on my couch.”

“That’s it?” Chanhee was in disbelief.

“That’s it.”

An idea suddenly popped into the elder’s head, “So nothing happened at all?” Jonghyun shook his head, “Funny, I honestly thought you did him. I mean, he seemed like the type and all.”

Jonghyun’s eyes got big and he immediately stood up, “You shut the up hyung! You don’t know a damn thing about him!” He yelled while pointing his finger in Chanhee’s face, “He’s not like that okay? He’s decent and actually has some ing class unlike you!”

The purple headed boy burst out in laughter (not even phased by the insult), only making his friend more confused than he was earlier, “What the hell?”

“Oh my God did you see your face?? I thought your eyes were gonna pop out your big head!!” He laughed harder and Jonghyun just stood there with a very big pout on his face.

“Sit down pabo.” Chanhee reached out and pulled the boy’s arm so that he was in the chair next to him and put an arm around him, “You really like this guy don’t you?” He said to him with a grin.

“Hyung he has a boyfriend.” He told him with a sad look on his face.

“So?” Chanhee questioned him with a shrug.

“A boyfriend that he lives with.”

“Wait, if he lives with him then what’s he doing in a bar at night? And what’s he doing sleeping at your place?”

“I don’t know for sure, he didn’t tell me but……I think he may have gotten locked out. And not by accident.”

“Oh,” he thought for a while, “what else do you know about this guy?”

“Nothing really, he didn’t say much and I didn’t ask. Hyung, he just seemed so sad and lonely. I mean, he’s got no mother, a dad that hates him, he lost his job, he’s struggling through school, and I don’t think he’s got any friends either.”

 “Wow,” was all Chanhee could say. Jonghyun sighed and things got quiet as they were both lost in thought.

“Hyung?” He said snapping the elder out of his thoughts. He really hoped his older friend could give him some kind of advice over his dilemma.

“Hey um………we’ll talk more about this later. I have more work to do here. And speaking of work, you gotta go get your fatass ready for it!” He got up pulling up the other with him.

“But hyung….” Chanhee just turned him towards the door and gave him a swat on his behind.

“Get going! I said we’ll talk later okay?”

Jonghyun sighed, “Okay.” He pouted and grumbled as he walked out the door.

Chanhee locked the door and made his way back to the bar. He froze for a while as he tried his best to remember what else he had to do. It was a routine he had done night after night for over a year, yet his brain was failing him. It was hard to concentrate when he was thinking so much about the baby faced boy that his dongsaeng was crushing on.

As he finally began to remember what he needed to do, he cursed at himself. For being so pre-occupied with a certain blonde and with getting off work that he didn’t see it. The loneliness, the pain, the emptiness that was in the big brown eyes of the kid he gave the cranberry juice too.

A pang of guilt knotted in his stomach as he got everything ready for opening. He thought about what Jonghyun had told him as he greeted the first patron of the day, and the knot got tighter. The situation was all too familiar for him.

“I’m sorry, what was that?” He asked the patron who repeated his drink order.

He knew it was going to be a long day. And he wondered if he could stay focused enough to get through it as he fought back the painful memories that were creeping their way back into his head. Memories he wished he could forget.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay an update! FINALLY!!!! Well, a short update, but still LOL.

Thanks to all you who haven't given up on me or my lil fic here! And thanks a lot to everybody for your kind words during the really tough time I've been going through. It really REALLY meant a lot to me! I love you guys!!

I promise not to let so much time go by without updating again!! *crosses fingers*

*SMOOCHES YOU ALL*

Don't worry, I dun have cooties!! :D