Hello Stranger

It's Cold Outside

“Why so serious? Get your cray on, get your cray on, get your cray ,get your cray, get your cray on.....” “Ugh,” Jonghyun grunted as he was awakened from a rather pleasant nap by his phone alarm. He shut it off then sat up on his couch and rubbed his eyes.

He saw the time and groaned as he got up and made his way to the bathroom he shares with his roommate to brush his teeth and splash some water on his face.

“Hyung better be ready to go cuz I swear I’m gonna kick him in the balls if he’s not this time,” he ranted to himself as he pulled on a jacket and made his way to his car after locking the door.

After getting inside, he checked his red hair out in the rearview mirror and shrugged. Yeah it was a bit messy, but it’s not like he’s going out on a date or anything.

About 15 minutes later he pulled up outside “No. 1” and made his way inside.

He scanned the room for his friend only to find him at a table near the back shamelessly flirting with a group of attractive guys sitting there. He rolled his eyes and went to sit at the bar.

I’m not waiting for him all ing night again. I’m giving his 15 minutes then I’m going home.

He grumbled some more to himself and kept looking up at the clock on the wall. He looked to his left to glance at the person sitting next to him and he could’ve sworn he felt someone punch him in the chest. He couldn’t breathe and he swore he heard angels sing.

Holy , was the most intelligent thing his brain could come up with as he looked at the most beautiful creature he ever laid eyes on. He had porcelain skin, gorgeous defined features, dark brown hair, and the cutest ears he’s ever seen in his life.

, , , why didn’t I fix my hair? And why didn’t I put some damn cologne on?? my life.

He was frantic. He considered going home and coming back more presentable than he was now, but decided against it. He didn’t want to risk the chance of this god-like creature walking out of his life without at least an attempt to get to know him.

He took a deep breath, and turned to face the boy who was blankly staring at the red liquid in his glass.

“Hey there,” he nodded at him.

The boy looked back at him “hi”, was all he got back.

, those eyes. He wanted to cry. This guy was so beautiful he really could’ve just broken down in tears.

“Can I get you a drink or something? You don’t seem to be enjoying whatever that is that’s in your glass too much”, he asked him.

“No thanks, I don’t really drink”, this boy really didn’t seem like he was in the mood to talk. Jonghyun’s mind raced wondering what he could do or say to get his attention.

He got up from his chair and made his way behind the bar, which seemed to work.

“What are you doing back there?” the Changhyun questioned him.

“Oh it’s okay, my friend works here”, pulled up a small metal shovel with some ice in it (from somewhere Changhyun couldn’t see) and dropped it in in his drink.

“Oh, thank you”, Changhyun gave him a slight smile.

“No problem, it seemed like you could use it”, he grinned at him then made his way back to his seat, “so you look kinda bored here, are you waiting for someone?”

“No, I’m here by myself, you?”?

“I’m here waiting to give my friend a ride home from work”, he motioned over at Chanhee who was still talking and giggling like a school girl with the same guys from earlier.

“Chanhee-sshi seems very friendly”, Changhyun commented before taking another sip of his juice.

“Friendly………………..……………same difference”, he just shrugged while Changhyun choked on his drink.

“So, about you…………” Jonghyun started.

“What about me?”

“I’m just curious, because I’ve never seen you here before and this doesn’t exactly seem like your type of place”, Jonghyun stared at him waiting for an answer.

“I’m just……..” Changhyun tried to think up a lie that would make sense, “here killing some time” not exactly a lie though.

“Hmmm, I see.” After a bit of silence, “Do you go to school? I just enrolled in university not to long ago.”

What’s this guy up to? “Um, yeah. I enrolled last year.”

“Last year huh? Wow you look young. You must be pretty smart,” he said with a smile.

Changhyun couldn’t help but smile himself, “Yeah I do alright”. Of all the things he felt he was worthless at (which was practically everything), that was one thing he was proud of.

“What are you majoring in?”

“Writing, it’s something I’ve always kinda liked doing. Sort of like a hobby,” a hobby was only putting it mildly. It was more like a passion for him. Something he never really liked talking about because most people found it either boring or worthless. It was a “waste of time” because writers are “a dime a dozen” as his father used to say.

“That’s pretty cool. What do you write? Fiction? Non-fiction? Articles? Poetry?” Jonghyun asked him as he turned in his chair to face the other directly.

Changhyun was stunned, nobody has ever in his life asked about him, what he’s interested in, or what he wants to do with his life, “Well, a little bit of everything actually”.

Jonghyun looked impressed, “Wow. You ARE smart” he winked at him.

Changhyun’s heart lit up at the compliment, “Thanks,” he said shyly, “what about you?”

“Well, as for right now I’m majoring in “I Don’t ing Know” and I think I might minor in “Whatever Makes Me a load of Money”.

Changhyun rolled his eyes at him, “Your parents must be so proud”.

“Yeah, they love me” Jonghyun said with a wide grin. “Mind if I ask you a personal question?” Jonghyun continued.

“Um yeah I do mind,” Changhyun was beginning to get annoyed but it didn’t seem to deter the other one bit.

“Are you single?” He asked him.

Changhyun scoffed at him, “I don’t think that’s any of your business.”

“Why not? I think that’s a perfectly acceptable question to ask somebody you like and are attracted to.”

“Like? How can you like me? You don’t even know me!” Changhyun frowned at him.

“I know enough” the other said with a wink, “now, are you?”

“I’m not answering that” he stared down at his barely less than half full glass of cranberry juice while trying to ignore how hot his face felt at that moment.

“Okay then that’s fine. It’s just a shame though. I mean, I can’t imagine some ing moron letting a gorgeous thing like you be out at a place like this where someone like me can hit on you,” this time he had a smirk to accompany his wink.

Changhyun didn’t say a thing, he only kept staring at his glass. He really didn’t know what to do or say, he’d never been in this situation before.  

Nothing was said by either for quite some time. But the redhead was still staring at him which was making him quite uncomfortable.

“So, do you drive? Just curious,” Jonghyun asked while slyly scooting his chair a bit closer to Changhyun (it would’ve worked but the damn thing had a squeak).

“Um, no. No I don’t.” What the hell is he up to?

“I see. Hmmm”, the redhead seemed lost in thought.

“What?? What’s your problem?” The boy tried not to let his voice show just how freaked out he was starting to feel.

“Well I was just thinking hyung, why would someone as smart as you be at a place like this at this time of the night by yourself? I mean, you don’t drive so you probably walked here. The nearest university is nowhere near here so you probably don’t live in this area. It’s ing freezing and you have no jacket on. Plus, I should mention you have no money on you to buy a decent drink because really now, who goes to a bar to pass time while sober?” Jonghyun leaned on his elbow on the bar as he waited for either a response or a slap in the face.

Oh my God….. Changhyun’s mouth dropped open. What was he supposed to say to that? He froze. Did he just call me hyung?

“Well hyung, why are you here? What happened to you?” Jonghyun asked him with a serious yet tender look in his eyes.

Changhyun’s heart was racing and he wasn’t exactly sure why.

Make up something, ANYTHING!! Walk away! Or say it’s none of his business.

“I had nowhere else to go,” , why did I say that? But it was the truth. The truth that he didn’t mean to say, but it’s what came out. He never was good at lying.

“I’m sorry,” Jonghyun said while softly placing his hand over Changhyun’s (the hand that currently had a death grip on his glass).

He’s touching me. Oh my God, why is he touching me? What do I do?

“Well, since you have nowhere to go……..” he slightly rubbed the scared boy’s hand, “wanna come back to my place?”