The Start

Numbed II; A Fresh Start

 

“But we need someone with a substantial amount of capital to help us with this.” Yeojin said defeatedly, feeling like she had overestimated her own capabilities. She sank into the soft sofa she was sitting on, letting out a deep sigh.

 

Zico glanced at her, racking his brains for a solution. Right then, U-kwon spoke, breaking the silence. “I can ask my Aunt. I mean, she’s been pounding me about her idea of setting up an entertainment company after me, Zic and P.O hit it big in the States.”

 

Yeojin hurled herself up from the sofa instantly, “What? Are you serious?” All of them knew that U-Kwon’s Aunt is rich since she is the owner of a huge restaurant chain in Korea. U-Kwon nodded, “It’s worth a shot. But I am not sure what her terms are.”

 

Yeojin’s eyes shifted towards the floor, assessing the idea that U-Kwon put out. Finally, she said, “Alright, we shall give it a try. Kwon, can you help us arrange a meeting with her?” U-Kwon nodded and reached for his phone, “Yeah, I will give her a call right away.”

 

The meeting with U-Kwon’s Aunt was scheduled to be tomorrow at lunch time and although Yeojin did not express it outright, Zico could tell that she was extremely worried about the meeting.

 

“It will turn out fine.” Yeojin spun around, startled by Zico’s voice and saw that he was leaning against the balcony door. “I know but I just can’t help but to be nervous.”

 

Zico pushed himself off the balcony door and walked towards Yeojin, stopping beside her. He placed his arm over her shoulder with his hand gently patting her head. Although no words were exchanged between them, Yeojin felt comforted by Zico’s presence and that helped to lessen her worries slightly.

 

The next morning arrived in a jiffy and Yeojin, Zico and U-Kwon were all dressed up, ready to leave for the meeting. Yeojin was donning a Houndstooth patterned blazer with black formal pants.

 

“You ready?” Zico popped his head into Yeojin’s room after knocking gently on her door. “Yup.” Yeojin replied while grabbing her crossbody bag and followed Zico out of the door.

 

Throughout the entire car ride to the restaurant, Yeojin was fiddling with her fingers nervously. Zico glanced at her through the rear-view mirror, trying to hide his own nervousness. He knew how much this meant to Yeojin, hence, the more he wanted it to work out well.

 

They arrived at the restaurant shortly, the posh and grand settings of the restaurant were making her heart pound even more. They were ushered to their reserved private dining room by the waiter and silence filled the room after the waiter left them. Even U-Kwon, who was meeting his own Aunt, was starting to get nervous from Zico and Yeojin’s tensed postures.

 

The door opened once again, and it was U-Kwon’s Aunt this time round. The three of them stood up from their seats, U-Kwon embraced his Aunt while Zico and Yeojin bowed respectfully. U-Kwon’s Aunt gave them a cheery smile, which reached her eyes, and gestured towards the chair. “Take a seat and don’t be so tensed. People might think that we are discussing some grave matters in here.”

 

The three of them chuckled softly, the air felt less heavy thanks to her. Their food was served shortly, and U-Kwon’s Aunt cut to chase and started discussing the agenda for their meeting.

 

¨¨¨¨

 

Yeojin heaved a sigh of relief, feeling like she’s finally able to breathe now that the meeting is over. Zico, seeing the expression on her face, laughed softly. “Your expression right now looked as though you won the million-dollar lottery.”

 

Yeojin chuckled, “It really does feel like it.” Yeojin linked her arm with Zico’s naturally and leaned against his elbow. Zico glanced down at her, with a soft smile on his face. “Where to, my queen?”

 

“Home! I need a good, long sleep after a whole night of worrying and tossing around.” Yeojin faked a yawn.

 

Laughing at how cute she was, Zico nodded and said, “Home it is then.” With that, they set off for the car, their footsteps lighter than when they arrived.

 

They have successfully struck a deal with U-Kwon’s Aunt, whom will be known as Aunt/Director Yoon from here on. She will be rightfully known as the owner of the entertainment company, although she will only own 20% of the shares, and the remaining 80% would be split equally among Zico and Yeojin. Aunt Yoon meant to have U-Kwon hold some shares too, but he declined, saying that he had no interest in owning a business.

 

Zico and Yeojin were taken aback when they heard of Aunt Yoon’s plans as they both thought that she should hold more stakes, since she was the one providing them a good 70% of the capital they needed. Aunt Yoon, however, brushed them off saying that she just wanted to diversify her business and trusted that the company will be in good hands.

 

Yeojin was beyond grateful hearing that and at that moment, she couldn’t believe that she finally could start on the plan that she had in mind for the last 4 years.