Familiar Stranger

Numbed II; A Fresh Start

 

 

The 4 of them have landed at Jeju International Airport and P.O couldn’t stop going on about how the air smells different than that of Seoul’s. They checked into the apartment that they have booked online and allocated the rooms accordingly.

 

They rested for a short while before heading off to the beach which was near their apartment. It was already near evening, so the sun was setting, and the skies had this beautiful orange tinge to it.

 

P.O went straight for the sea with Yeojin following right behind him, both of them laughing excitedly. “Yeojin, be careful!” Zico hollered behind her. Zico and U-kwon strolled along behind them, enjoying the breeze that was welcoming them.

 

Zico watched as P.O and Yeojin splashed water at each other playfully, running around and acting like little kids, and a warmth feeling starting to bloom in his chest. It’s been long since he saw this side of her, letting her guards down and just being herself.

 

“Yeojin?”

 

Yeojin spun around at the familiar voice without thinking much, a huge smile still present on her face. “Y-Yongguk?” she stuttered. Her smile was slowly slipping off her face as her eyes took in Yongguk’s dark eye bags and his eyes, which seemed so sad and empty.

 

By now, Zico and U-Kwon were by Yeojin’s side. The three of them stood behind her, as though they were her guards. Yeojin told them to wait for her somewhere near as she needed some time to talk to Yongguk.

 

The both of them went further up the shore, high enough where the water couldn’t reach them.

 

“How have you been?” Yongguk spoke up first. “I’ve been well. I was able to walk again after a year and half of physiotherapy in the States.”

 

A small smile graced Yongguk’s lips, “That’s good. You look so happy and different. It’s really great seeing you again.”

 

Yeojin turned towards him, meeting him in his eyes. “How have you been though?”

 

With a sad smile, Yongguk averted his eyes. He was silent for a while before he answered Yeojin. “After you left, things changed prettily drastically. We launched a lawsuit against the company for unfair treatment and all, but we managed to come to an agreement. Things got a little better afterwards, but it was just… hard for some reasons. Mentally, I was going through a lot of stress and I guess gradually I just couldn’t take it anymore. So, after a thorough and careful discussion with the rest of them, I decided to leave once my contract was over.”

 

Yeojin was trying to hold back the tears that were welling up in her eyes. She didn’t dare to imagine how hard it must have been for them.

 

“Do they know that you’re back?” Yeojin shook her head in response. “I didn’t keep in touch with any of them, let alone let them know that I am back.”

 

Yongguk nodded, “We missed you a lot, you know? Especially Daehyun, during our hard times, I could tell.” Yeojin forced a smile even though her heart was aching. As much as she would like to continue talking to Yongguk, she felt like she couldn’t take it anymore. She wanted to run and hide at a place where no one could find her and cry her heart out.

 

Yeojin glanced at the sky, which was already pitch black, their surroundings were dimly lit by the street lamps along the shore. “I think it’s time for me to go, it’s getting late.”

 

Yongguk hummed in response, both of them getting up at the same time. “Take care, Yongguk oppa.” Yeojin wrapped her arms around Yongguk’s waist, engulfing him in a hug before they parted.

 

Yeojin turned towards the direction where Zico was sitting, who was already on his feet, waiting for Yeojin to walk over to him.

 

“Where’s P.O and U-Kwon?” she asked upon realizing that Zico was alone and came to a stop in front of him. “They went to get dinner. I told them to get some for us too.”

 

Yeojin nodded and set out for the apartment but her legs suddenly buckled under her. Zico managed to grab her before she fell, one of his arms wrapped securely around her waist. He let out a soft sigh, “You must have exerted too much pressure on your legs earlier on.”

 

Looping Yeojin’s arms around his neck, Zico got her on his back easily. Yeojin tightened her arms around his neck, nestling her face in the crook of his neck. “Thank you, Zic”, she whispered softly.

 

Yeojin fell asleep before they reached the apartment and Zico couldn’t bear to wake her up, so he set her down gently on her bed and tucked her in.

 

For the remaining three days that they had in Jeju, they went for light hiking, cycling and lots of picnics too. It was a short escape from reality for Yeojin.