Ten

The Chronicles of a Dreamer

 

The sunlight dimmed as Naeun walked into the cemetery holding the flowers in her right hand. Walking steadily and slow in pace, she continued along the familiar stone walkway that divided the yards into two. Each half containing rows and rows of cement headings.

 

Suho followed a couple steps behind not knowing whether to have his presence noticed or not. Naeun seemed too deep in thought to even notice.

 

How could I even forget? A day like this? This is not like me. Naeun shook her head in disappointment. Today was their 3rd year death anniversary for god’s sake, and she almost forgot.

 

And then Naeun thought of them. Mom, Dad, and Najin...  each of their faces still fresh in her memory.

 

Her mom’s soft brown eyes that had the amazing ability to comfort you with tenderness. Just looking into her eyes gave that immediate sense of warmth, the motherly kind that every child yearns for.

 

Then there was her dad’s winning smile. He wasn’t the best looking man but when her father beamed, it made him the handsomest man alive.

 

And last but not least. Her little brother Najin. She loved him more than anything, more than herself, more than words can explain. She raised him as their parents busied themselves with work. Naeun and Najin had an unbreakable Noona-dongsaeng bond, that’s why his loss hit her the hardest. Too young...too innocent.

 

All Naeun could feel was sorry.

 

She stopped in front of the three tombstones and divided the flowers, pulling out the same exact amount of stems and placing them on each of the headings. Naeun sat herself down in front of the stone heads and put her head down on her knees.

 

Suho stayed behind and sat under a tree watching the sad girl. Although he knew little about her reasons for coming here, he felt wrong for having come but at the same time, he wanted to comfort Naeun.

 

For the first time, he had seen the cold and relentless Naeun so vulnerable, so weak. He should’ve known, she could be fragile. He stood there contemplating what to do next. Whether he’d leave silently or go over there.

 

In the meantime, Naeun kept her head down. Don’t cry she’d tell herself. So she spent those moments evening her breaths to calming the grief , anything just to stop the tears from escaping her eyes. So she lifted her head and took a deep breath, staring straight ahead at the sky. Almost twilight, but not quite yet, the sun had just started setting but the sky remained illuminated.

 

Eventually Naeun heard the ruffling of grass next to her and ignored the sound and watch the light slowly dim.

 

It surprised Suho that Naeun hadn’t noticed when he came to sit down, not a flinch, nothing. He pouted and thought of something else to get her attention.

 

Suho took a deep breath and sighed quite ridiculously then peeked over at Naeun at the corner of his eyes. He did it alright, Naeun was now looking at him. He turned to face her.

 

What he saw at that moment was someone different. She was still Naeun, he was sure of that, but it wasn’t the Naeun he had thought he had known. Instead of that emotionless stare he’d observe, there was then tenderness to her brown eyes somehow.

 

She opened to say something but Suho cut her off.

 

“I know you’re going to ask why I’m here. To tell you the truth, I honestly don’t know. I guess you can say curiosity led me to following you but then again that doesn’t make my reasons sound any better . You’d then tell me that it’s none of my business, and I know that. I should’ve just left when I had the chance but I didn’t.” He said as he pulled out little spears of the grass with his fingers.

 

Naeun listened intently and waited for him to finish his ‘explanation’. There was a long pause as she prepared herself for what she was about to say next.

 

“What do you want to know?” She asked.

 

Surprised by hearing her voice, Suho stopped and looked up. “Why you’re so cold to me. What did I do?” Naeun chuckled lightly and shook her head, amused. Suho raised and brow, “What’s so funny?”

 

“It’s not you. It’s people in general. I don’t want-” She paused, “ Need. I don’t need other people in my life.”

 

Suho finally took the time to look ahead of him, at the three graves of  Son Jingu, Son Eunyoung, and Son Najin. All three had the same date written on the tomb, each passed away on May 3rd, 2010. 3 years ago. “Is it because of what happened?” He gestured. And Naeun simply nodded.

 

Naeun never once questioned herself as much as she was right now. Suho was so easy to talk to, she just wanted to confide in him already but what was stopping her was her pride. No, I can’t, If I tell him, he’ll think we’re friends and I can’t... just... not yet.

 

But Suho was just sitting there patiently, waiting for her to say something.

 

“Was Najin your brother?” He then asked. Naeun froze. Hearing her brother’s name made her crack but she handled it well.

 

“Yeah. He was a good kid.” Her voice trembled. “You have no idea.” Naeun started.

 

“Oh yeah?” Suho replied feeling that she was finally opening up.

 

“Mhm. I was very lucky. I had a great family but I never got a chance to tell them how great they were.” Naeun too began fiddling with the grass as Suho listened, “ You see, I was 16, young and rebellious. All I cared about was my happiness and that was art. My parents never supported the idea of art as a career. It only took me until they were gone, for me to realize that they wanted what was best for me. They just wanted me to go to college.

 

But I just wanted to paint. I was really good and I wanted my parents to see that. Maybe just then they’d accept my dream to become famous for my art someday. I could prove them wrong. All I know is I had one special supporter, and it was Najin, my 5 year old brother.

 

So I invited them to an open house held at the Art Museum downtown where I was chosen to display one of my paintings. The night before the event, I had a huge fight with my parents. They refused to go, they said I was wasting my time. That same night, I said some things that I regret until this day.

 

The night of my special day, I didn’t expect for them to come having gone through last night’s arguments. In the end they never came...” Naeun’s eyes started to water and her nose pinked. She sniffled and wiped her eyes with her sleeve.

 

“I received a call from the hospital saying that I come at once. And when I got there, it was...” She paused “too late. They all were dead.

 

They were on their way to see me when a drunk driver ran a red light and rammed right into them. My brother was in the damn car with them. They were all gone. All that was left was a tarnished bouquet of roses and letter...”

 

Suho was at a loss of words. This was not what he expected. He was moved by emotion. Her past explained it all. Suho moved in closer and comforted Naeun. He patted her back silently, behind her sobs. “It was all my fault.” she said.

 

“It was an accident. It couldn’t have been your fault. You didn’t ask for that to happen.” Suho said. Naeun felt the comfort Suho had given. It was a good feeling, something she hadn’t felt for a long time.

 

The sky had darkened as the stars began to shine, it was getting late. Naeun looked at Suho who was still there next to her. Then it hit her, I can’t believe I just told him, EVERYTHING. Dammit, Naeun. She stopped the tearing immediately and wiped her eyes.

 

She stood up and so did Suho. “It’s getting late.” She said. Suho just realized as well.

 

“Oh crap. Yejin is going to eat me alive. Let’s get going.” He said.

 

They headed out the cemetery and waited for the next bus.  The ride didn’t take too long to stop at the library. Naeun stayed put as Suho stood up ready to leave. “Coming?” He asked.

 

“No. This bus will take me home.” She said.

 

“Oh alright. ” he said, a bit sad. I wanted to take her home, as a favor. He started towards the door and out the bus. Progress progress progress! She finally opened up to me.

 

Now time to deal with an angry Yejin. He knew that she was expecting him, and he grew anxious to see what awaits him the moment he walks through the glass doors of the library.

 

There were few people still and the light of Yejin’s office was on. Maybe if I walk by Yejin’s office, fast, she won’t notice. He did exactly that a failed attempt.

 

“Joonmyun-ah! In my office now.” She called from her office. Let’s just say, he got was he deserved for skipping out on work. “You see those books on the cart?” She pointed at the cart right outside her door, it was overfilled with books, stacked as tall as Suho, himself. His mouth was left agape at the sight.

 

“You can’t be ser-...”

 

“Oh yes I am, Joonmyun-ah. You are not leaving until all of those books are back where they belong.” Yejin said.

 

“Dammit.” It’s going to be a long night.


There's the revelations!