Getting There Is Half The Battle

Dreams Do Come True... Kinda

"Now Jiaheng, it's time you found something to do with your life," Mrs. Li says softly.

" that. I wanted to go to Hogwarts, but no. You just HAD to make me miss that damned train "accidentally".... for all SEVEN years! What the hell is wrong with you people?! You even ordered all the I needed to be a wizard!!" Kris shouts at his mother angrily.

"Young man, you will NOT use such crude language in front of your mother!" Mr. Li snaps.

"Like I could care... It's stuff she's heard before," Kris snaps back.

"Boys please... I have some good news for you, Jiaheng," Mrs. Li says weakly.

"She's right son,"

"Fine... what is it?" Kris asks boredly.

"You've been accepted to the famous All-boys Pokemon Trainer Academy; Sun & Moon Gym Leader & Elite Four Recruitment ONLY picks people from this Academy and its sister Academy!"

"You idiots couldn't even get me to a professor to recieve my first Pokemon when I was ten... Why would they take me now?"

"They don't accept children, Jiaheng. This is a huge honor," Mr. Li says calmly.

And so a few more minutes (and curses) later, Kris begins packing up all of his clothes and belongings. As he finishes putting the last of his clothes in a large trunk, he realizes he really doesn't have as much as he thought. At least move-in will be easy.

"Oh, Jiaheng. I almost forgot. A small package came with your acceptance letter. You may want to open it before you go," his mother says from the doorway.

"Let me see..." he replies as he turns and takes the smallish box, looking at it curiously.

The small, brown package shifts slightly in his hands as if something is rolling around inside. Kris carefully opens the wrapping paper, not noticing as a small card falls out and lands at his mom's feet.

"Whoa... It's an egg!" Kris exclaims, holding up the small orb.

"You should see if we have an incubator for that... I wonder which Pokemon it'll be!" his mom exclaims excitedly.

Kris' dad chuckles from the doorway.

"Be careful. You may not want to try to hatch that just yet. You don't even have a Pokeball to put it in..." he says softly.

"Just go and have fun, sweetie. And learn a few things alright? Oh, and make lots of new friends!" his mom says happily.

Kris just rolls his eyes. "Mom, I'm not a kid. I can handle myself. I'm not even leaving today..." Kris mumbles.

 


 

A couple days later, Kris hugs both of his parents before getting into the taxi that will take him to the train station. About twenty minutes later, he looks up at the train itself on platform six, holding his egg securely in his arms.

"Oh hey! You have an egg too! You must be going to the Academy just like me!" a young man says excitedly from behind the tall, Chinese man.

Kris whirls around and looks down, blinking at the rather short, abliet handsome man who's beaming up at him. The boy has dark, reddish-brown hair and big, chocolate-brown eyes to match. There's a dazzling smile plastered on his young face.

"U-Uh... yeah. I am. I'm Kris," he says awkwardly.

"It's nice to meet you, Kris. I'm Joonmyun. But most call me Suho," the boy says happily.

Suddenly, the train's five-minutes warning whistle blows.

"Oh ! I am NOT missing this train!!: Kris shouts before bolting towards the nearest car.

"Wait! Let's sit together!" Suho calls after him, struggling to gather up all his stuff.

But Kris doesn't hear him over the din of the station and leaves him behind. The shorter boy blinks after him and sighs, having hoped to make at least one new friend before arriving at the Academy. He turns and starts shuffling towards the train, but trips over his own foot, letting out a cry.

Before he hits the pavement, a pair of long arms wrap around his waist, holding him upright.

"You've got to be careful or you'll drop your egg. Then you'll have to enroll again next year..." a soft, shy voice says not far from his right ear, "Itd be a shame if you had to wait another year to get started with your studies..."

"Th-thanks..." Suho stammers as he slowly stands up straight again, blushing as he has to look up yet again to see someone's face.

"It's no trouble. You should get your stuff loaded on the train though.... It's leaving in four minutes,"

"I will. Thanks again, really. Oh right! I'm Joonmyun," he introduces himself awkwardly.

"I'm Lay. But I'd better get back to my friends... I hope I'll see you around campus, Joonmyun," the slightly taller, Chinese boy says before waving and disappearing into the crowd.

 


 

"You've GOT to be kidding me, Oh Sehun!" Jongin says angrily as he and his dork of a best friend race towards the platform with only minutes to spare.

"Sorry... I thought the train started boarding at 10:30! I didn't know it was leaving then!" Sehun shouts back.

"Oh shut up and run, will ya?!"

"All aboard!" a conductor ahead of them shouts loudly.

"!! Wait! Two more sir, please!" Kai shouts at the top of his lungs.

The man turns and looks at the two boys curiously, eyeing the egg each of them is carrying.

"Boys... This train is going to the all-GIRLS Witch School, Beauxbaton's Academy of Magic. YOUR train is on the next platform up... You have five minutes. Go boys. Get your butts on that train and get a headstart towards your futures," he says with a kind smile.

"Thank you, sir," Sehun says with a bow before turning to Kai, who's waving at a window full of giggling girls.

"Kim ing Jongin. Stop flirting and get your moving again!" Sehun shouts, kicking Kai's shin violently.

"Ow... you," Kai growls.

 


 

At the next platform up, a compartment full of soon-to-be Pokemon Academy students chatter happily amongst themselves.

"I wanna be a fire-type gym leader!" a tall, curly-haired boy says eagerly.

"Watch him get a Magikarp or something dumb like that..." another tall, but much darker-haired boy says in Chinese, making the doe-eyed Chinese boy beside him giggle.

"Good one Taotao~" the cute boy says happily.

The first boy just pouts. "What did he just say, Luhan hyung?" he asks.

"Nothing, Chanyeollie. Don't worry about it," Luhan replies cutely.

"He said you'll probably get something weak like a Magikarp," a dark-haired Korean boy says from the corner.

"But Magikarps are awesome when they evolve! Gyrados is unstoppable!!" Suho says defensively.

"Whatever, fish boy. Any electric-type Pokemon can wipe those out in a second,"

"Good one, Lightningrod," Kyungsoo chirps from his spot by the window.

"My name is Chen," 'Lightningrod' snaps.

"Ooo... someone's stuck in his shark week~" Suho practically sings.

Every pair of eyes turns on him.

"What the hell does that even MEAN??" Tao asks in confusion just as Luhan's eyes light up in recognition.

"Oh! You mean he's on his man period, right?"

Suho grins and nods, earning himself a punch on the arm from Chen.

"Bully..." Suho says with a pout.

"Nah. Chen's a sweetheart really. He's just PMSing," Tao says, resulting in a death glare from the tormented boy.

The door to their compartment slides open quickly.

"Hey guys... Do you mind if I join you? Practically everywhere else is full..." a rather shy boy with slightly chubby cheeks asks. His hair is a bit dishevled, sticking up in all directions.

"Sure thing. There's a seat here next to Taozi," Luhan answers kindly.

"My name's Zitao, Xiaolu," Tao cuts in.

"Yah! My name isn't Xiaolu! It's Lu Han,"

"So? You started it,"

"Oh quit bickering you two. Please sit," Suho says softly.

"Thank you," the boy says with a smile as he takes his seat by Tao. "My name's Minseok, by the way. But my friends call me Xuimin," he adds quickly.

"Nice to meet you, Minseok. I'm Joonmyun, but I go by Suho. And this is Luhan, Tao, Kyungsoo, and Chen," he says, gesturing to each boy in turn.

The suddenly quiet Chen smiles over at Minseok, blushing lightly. Thankfully no one mentions it, assuming it still has to do with the period jokes. Idle chatter settles over the boys, but Chen remains quiet, staring out the window, throwing glances at Minseok every so often.

 


 

After what seems like hours, maybe even a day, the terrain slowly changes from cityscape to flatlands and farms. There's a soft knock on the sliding door that leads to the very last compartment on the train. A lone boy sits, his legs dangling over the edge of the seat, his feet just barely touching the floor of the train. The door slowly slides open, revealing a smiling boy with a dimple.

"We're going to be arriving in twenty minutes. You'd best change into your blazer," the slightly taller, and obviously older, boy says softly with a smile.

"Oh.... Thanks," the solitary boy says.

"I'm Jungsu, by the way. I'm the student body president at the Academy,"

"I'm Baekhyun,"

"Why're you sitting alone?" Jungsu asks softly.

"Because I'm not lonely. I've got my best friend sitting right here with me..." Baekhyun replies, the smooth, warm shell of his egg.

Jungsu looks a little weirded-out, but smiles softly.

"Well, if you need anything, I'm up in the very front compartment. I hope you enjoy your time here at the Academy," he says kindly before disappearing.

Baekhyun sighs fotly once the door closes and gazes out the window dreamily.