Chapter 5

3rd wheel

 

Disneyland. To everyone, this word meant magic, beautiful memories, and lot of fun. For Kyungsoo, it was hell. First, he didn’t manage to get any explanation from Luhan. Second, Jongin still didn’t know about Sehun and Luhan. Thirdly, he was caught in a love triangle or to be more accurate, a square. He wasn’t really in the mood to go and have fun. That was before Chanyeol and Baekhyun came to cheer him up a bit. He decided not to think too much about it and just avoid Jongin as he did for the past month. The fans were waiting for them outside the hotel; they have to smile for them as much as they can.

...

Jongin was tired. His back still hurt him and he had to go to Disneyland with the others instead of taking a break in the hotel to be ready for SMTOWN. He was really upset but he couldn’t say anything: they must all go together and he shouldn’t make the fans worry. His only way to calm down was music and...Kyungsoo. The boy wasn’t even paying attention to him: he was laughing with Baekhyun and Chanyeol while waving to the fans. Jongin sighed: his hyung was avoiding him for a month now and the only times he could be with him were when he showed he was sick. He thought it would get better after that night when they ate pasta and danced but in the morning it was a 180 degree change. He tried to know the reason behind his hyung’s behavior but he had no idea what he had done wrong. He was trying to talk about it with Luhan and Sehun but they would always end up leading the discussion and make him just listen or they would suddenly disappear . There’s something up with them, he was certain. All of s were acting weird around him and it was frustrating. The only normal one was Chanyeol, because he was weird from the first time he met him... and Yixing too because they would mostly talk about dancing. Jongin looked around: their American fans were a bit more excited than their Korean and Chinese fans; maybe because they don’t have many chances to meet them. He then read their fan boards and banners: there were a lot of ‘welcome to LA’, ‘I love you -insert a member name-‘and of course ‘We/I love you EXO’. He noticed also a lot of ‘HunHan’ ones...He smiled; Luhan and Sehun had a lot of fans as a couple. He approved: they look cute together and their bubble tea rendezvous could easily be interpreted as dates. He was used to SeKai in Korea and he was happy to be paired up with Sehun since he’s really close with him but he wished to see more of him and Kyungsoo now...

The bus finally arrived. He took a sit next to Yixing and he glanced at Luhan and Sehun: they indeed could be misunderstood as a couple. He wouldn’t even be surprised if they were dating but he knew they would tell him the first so he didn’t want to get wrong ideas. The couple pairings were just for fun and he wasn’t a fan, he was part of the group.

...

They were at the entrance. Kris went to buy the tickets and they were waiting for him. They all decided to play some games and the punishment would be to dance to MAMA in front of everyone here in Disneyland. A lot of fans were surrounding them with cameras and trying to get close to them as much as they were able to since their managers were trying to make them go away.  At the end, Yixing and Kyungsoo lost. They danced a bit before running toward them. The fans cheered for them and sang along but Jongin knew that his hyungs would still feel embarrassed. Kyungsoo was really cute at those times; looking like an owl and biting his lips nervously. No wonder the fans loved him so much and were going crazy online because of it. He knew exactly how they felt simply because he was insanely obsessed with his hyung.

...

They were preparing for their rehearsal. With their seniors watching, they were a lot more nervous than on music shows. Jongin was rehearsing the dance with Yixing, trying to remember the parts where he had done mistakes. Jongdae was asking for help as well. He was one their vocals but he still wanted to perform well in dancing. As he was trying to see how they could make Jongdae dance better, someone patted his shoulder. He turned: it was Kyungsoo.

‘’Manager said there’s a slight change in the choreography when we are 12, he asked us to gather all so that they would explain more.’’

‘’Oh sure, let’s go!’’

Jongin was a bit disappointed. For a moment, he hoped that Kyungsoo would ask talk with him about something beside work but as usual...it was work.

...

The finally performance of SMTOWN: they were here all together with their seniors. Singing, dancing, waving to fans and be all casual with one another. Jongin was happy being with s and the other artists. He could finally stand on that stage. He looked at s all as happy as he was. He met Kyungsoo’s eyes who smiled and kept the eye contact. He was walking toward him to stand next to him but Taemin dragged him to the opposite way. When he looked again, Kyungsoo was dancing with Joonmyun: they had their arms around each other’s shoulders. He clenched his teeth, annoyed. Jongin finally saw Luhan and Sehun waving and smiling and decided to join them. Just when he looked at them again, a crazy thought came to his mind: ‘What if...they were really dating?’

The way they linked their fingers, looked at each other and the way they would softly whisper at each other. As he was putting the pieces together, he also thought about the strange behaviour s had around him...was it realted to his 2 bestfriends? And Kyungsoo avoiding him?...

Jongin quickly tried to think about something else. He would try to find an answer later. Now he should enjoy his time with his fans, s and his seniors.

...

They were back to Korea, in their dorm. Jongin wasn’t here, of course, because he had to see the doctor again. Luhan and Sehun were sitting next to each other looking at their other members. Kris was staring at them seriously...and angry.

‘’So, you still didn’t say anything to him? Even after we told you to do so? Do you expect us to hide this from him forever? Youknow it’s wrong’’.

The couple was getting pissed off. They knew it was wrong, but they needed time. Luhan, as the hyung replied:

‘’We know all of this already and...We acted as much as possible as a couple to show him. We tried to tell him but we couldn’t so we’re trying with how we act...and he would probably come first and seek for explanations...’’

‘’When do you expect him to start asking you questions then? And you can’t make it too obvious: the fans are watching...You still didn’t explain the reason behind all this...’’

‘’Jongin loves Sehun’’ Kyungsoo blurted out looking...disappointed? Everyone was too shocked by his words anyways to notice his expression.

Luhan frowned and then said with a disappointed tone: ‘’ I thought I could trust you for this one...’’

Kyungsoo then exploded:

‘’How the hell should I keep this to myself?! You don’t even try to make us understand! You both are just asking for us to shut up and hide this from him without even considering his feelings, the members’ and mine!’’ His voice broke almost like he was about to cry.

Joonmyun then went next to Kyungsoo to make him calm down. The other members looked at each other: It was the first time they had this kind of serious problem...

Kris let out a long sigh before speaking again: ‘’ Okay, you have no choice now: you explain or you break up. It went way too far. So, Jongin confessed to Sehun?’’

‘’Well no, but he always said some things like ‘I wish Sehun and I could be a popular pairing among fans after debuting, it would be fun!’ or sometimes he would seem annoyed if I would come when he’s alone with Sehun. Oh! He also touches Sehun a lot more than he touches me or anyone and...-’’

‘’...-Wait! Are you telling us right now that Jongin never clearly said he loved Sehun but you just based it all on what you saw and assumed being love?!’’

They all knew Kris was about to freak out and get really mad so, just in case, Tao went closer to him in order to stop him if he ever wanted to do something crazy. The Chinese leader then took a deep breath and asked:

‘’Did you ever ask Jongin about it?’’

‘He said several times he liked Sehun a lot so...’’

‘’No wonder the fans think of you as a cute idiot...WE ALL SAY IT’’

Luhan frowned...he was getting mad and he raised his voice a bit: ‘’BUT ITS DIFFERENT WHEN IT’S JONGIN!’’

‘’Luhan...answer yes or no: Did you ever talk about it with Jongin?’’

‘’What talk...why are you all here?’’

Jongin was asking with a smirk. s all had their eyes and mouth wide open.

‘’So what is it about me?’’

The others looked at the couple and then Luhan replied with another question: ‘’Do you love Sehun?’’

Everyone was surprised by his frankness since he has been hiding all this for more than a month. Well, everyone was surprised except of Jongin who walked toward Sehun. ‘’Let me answer then’’ He then took Sehun’s hand, looked at him, smiled while getting closer to his face...the other members holded their breath while Luhan looked desperately at Jongin who was about to kiss Sehun butjust when Luhan reacted to make it not happen. Jongin just went to Kyungsoo and without any hesitation kissed his hyung in front of them. He, then grabbed him by his wrist and they both walked out to their room. No one had a chance to say anything. After a moment, Yixing staring blankly at the door said: ‘’What the hell just happened?’’ Minseok who was beside him shrugged: ‘’We’ll probably know later but we can all understand that...Jongin loves Kyungsoo not Sehun’’

Jongdae then added: ‘’ And we went through all this for absolutely no reason. Next time, everyone we better solve it together ok? No more secrets.’’

Everyone nodded but they were all still in disbelief. They just sat there waiting.

...

Jongin closed the door behind him. He didn’t want to let the chance to anyone to try to stop him. He still had no idea how he managed to do all this but he knew he had to get it done before he would go and hide somewhere because he would be too embarrassed to face s if he failed.

‘’Hyung, Do you think I’m dumb?’’

Kyungsoo was about to reply but Jongin didn’t let him:

‘’Do you think I wouldn’t notice about Luhan and Sehun, and you believed Luhan when he told you that I loved Sehun, and that’s why you were avoiding me?’’

‘’Yes but it-‘’

‘’-Ok fine, why do you think I kissed you just now?’’

‘’I don’t know...I-‘’

They both clearly knew but Kyungsoo couldn’t say it.

‘’Hyung...I love you...’’

Kyungsoo almost didn’t hear it but he then looked into his dongsaeng’s eyes: he saw a mix of expectations...and worries. The older boy then let out a ‘’Oh!’’ as he finally understood what has Jongin been waiting for. Kyungsoo smiled and pulled Jongin closer for a long and deep kiss...the best they ever had. They kissed until Jongin awkwardely asked:'' So...what should we do now?''

Kyungsoo laughed. ''Maybe you should end your reply to Luhan by saying that...'' He paused for a moment ''...that we are now a couple?''

Jongin smiled and opened the door. Kyungsoo followed him. They linked their fingers naturally as they entered the living room. The members were still waiting for them. They were about to announce it when they all noticed a weird smell. Something was burning and, of course, it came from the kitchen. Kyungsoo then saw Baekhyun and Chanyeol missing. He rushed to the kitchen, his precious kitchen, yelling.

''How the hell did you let these two ALONE there?! You know how crazy they can be!! And they get distracted easily once they're alone with each other! What would I have done if MY kitchen got all burnt huh? Who would be willing to pay for a new one?!!...'' Kyungsoo kicked Baekhyun and Chanyeol out of there.

The others were laughing. They were all relieved because there weren't anything to hide anymore. 

''So...what is it about you and Kyungsoo, Jongin-ah?'' 

Kai smiled: ''Can I say, I just made him fall for me? And hyung, how could you believe I liked Sehun that way...I know he's adorable and he's the perfect boyfriend for you but for all of us he's just our perfect friend and maknae.'' He insisted on 'friend' a lot to make it clear for his hyung.

Luhan then blushed and looked sorry for all the trouble he made them go through. Kyungsoo was back from saving his kitchen. He still looked panicked but he was slowly calming down: '' You told them?''

Jongin nodded. Sehun cleared his throat: '' What about playing video games all together to celebrate...our new couple? And Kyungsoo hyung, maybe you can make us something to eat? Baekhyun and Chanyeol obviously at cooking.''

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and went back to the kitchen. The other members gathered in front of the TV ready for a long night with lot of fun.