Family.

Masks

"I'm home, grandfather!" You called as you carefully made your way past the grand entrance to his luxurious old fashioned house. You nodded to the men stationed around and they bowed at your presence. 

 

Your grandfather appeared, speaking loudly with one of his men. "Aha! My lovely granddaughter is here. Excuse me now." He stood before you with a formidable stance. Though he was well on in age, his body was fit and lean with muscles, his agility had not faded with time, and he had the energy of a twenty year old. "How is your apartment?"

 

You pursed your lip in thought. "It's a bit too fancy for my liking, but thank you." You had insisted on living by yourself because you didn't want others to find out about your grandfather and his... extravagant living. 

 

"That's my girl," he laughed loudly and placed an arm around your shoulders as the two of you headed further into the house. "And school is okay? You sure you don't need a bodyguard?"

 

His concerned comment made you snort in amusement. You tried to imagine going to school with bodyguards trailing after you and the rumors that would burst from that. "Thank you, grandfather, but I'm fine. And school is like all others. Nothing special. Nothing new." Except for that Daehyun boy. The fact that a guy disliked you before even meeting you was new. His indifferent attitude toward you was new. 

 

"Let me know immediately if anything happens, okay?" He gave you a severe look before breaking into a beaming, proud smile. 

 

"As you wish, grandfather," you replied obediently without a second thought. 

 

A man rushed up toward your grandfather and whispered urgently into his ear. 

 

"Looks like some... business came up, my dearest granddaughter. I'm afraid it needs my immediate attention." He nodded apologically toward you and you bowed in response to his dismissal. 

 

You greeted familiar faces as you left the place, finally retreating to your lonely home. After entering, you tossed your keys to the lavish marble countertop and sighed. You didn't like being here. Despite your cold demeanor, you preferred company- but good company was hard to find. Surprisingly your first thought was of Daehyun. You wanted to know this intriguing boy better. 

 

A sharp knock at the door froze your body. You weren't expecting anyone, and no one besides your grandfather knew where you resided. You crept toward the door, silent, treading softly across the wooden floor. Another knock broke the silence, impatient this time, followed by an annoyed grunt you recognized all too well. You flew to the door, unbolted the lock, and swept into the arms of your favorite cousin.

 

After picking you up and spinning you around, he set you down and welcomed himself into your apartment. "Not too bad, Hyuna."

 

You threw him a lopsided grin. "Thanks, Ji."

 

Jiyong waved your thanks away and settled himself down into your comfortable cloth couch. "So how's life been, cuz?"

 

"Life's been great, cuz," you rolled your eyes. "Same old same old."

 

"I don't wanna hear that," Jiyong pouted. "I know you weren't happy living with your father. And now that you're under gramp's guidance and livin' by yourself, I doubt you're much happier."

 

"I love grandfather," you said quietly.

 

"I know, I know. Fine, you're a little happier since you're with him. But I meant you're still lonely." Jiyong lobbed a pillow at your head and you ducked, letting it smack into the wall behind you. 

 

You stared at your cousin. You've never told anyone about how lonely you felt.

 

Jiyong grunted. "You don't think that I haven't noticed? Oh come on now. You're my favorite cousin. And I'm your only cousin on your dad's side. I don't give a rat's stinkin' behind about the bratty cousins you have on your mother's side. Besides, we've grown up together- I know you like the palm of my hand. You, the cheerful, chirpy, idiotic, happy, carefree, immature little girl, who's grown up into a cold-faced, emotionless machine. Please. I know this new 'you' is a facade." 

 

His words ripped apart at your heart, ripped apart at the wall you've built up over the years. "Ji." Suddenly you were tired, drained. 

 

He opened his arms and you crawled into their comfort, just like the way you did when you were a small toddler. 

 

"I'm here for you, Hyuna. Remember that," he muttered softly into your hair as he rocked you with a mother's gentleness that you lacked growing up. 

 

Before long you found yourself cooking for your cousin, who was still lounging in your living room. It was rare for him to have time to visit you, since, after all, he was the leader of the Dragons, a pretty big mafia that was based in the dark downtown of Seoul. You watched as the infamous GD wolfed down your meal, burped, and patted his stomach with satisfaction. 

 

"Always the best," he winked before kissing your head in goodbye. With another wink and a courteous bow, he was gone out the door to attend some duties. 

 

Your apartment was silent again. 

 

You had nothing to do. Homework was always a breeze and completed during class. You didn't have any friends here, or anywhere. The person you were closest to was the leader of one of the most notorious and feared gangs. 

 

Sighing for the umpteenth time that day, you decided to spend your night watching dramas, like any other teenage girl. However, that didn't last for long when you grew bored of watching real people act out a fake scenario. 

 

Boring. Empty. Lonely. Useless. 

 

That's how you felt deep down inside.