The New Girl meets the Bad Boys

Masks

 

“Hyung,” Zelo shook Daehyung awake. “Hyung!”

 

When Daehyun cracked open a bleary eye, Zelo stooped down to face his hyung and a goofy grin spread across his young face. Daehyun groaned as the artificial light hit his sensitive eyes and covered his face again. “What do you want, maknae?” He mumbled incoherently into the dark red sleeve of his hoodie.

 

“That’s her! The new transfer student! The one that everyone is talking about. The cold Goddess!” Zelo roughly yanked his hyung up, planted his hands on Daehyun’s face, and turned his head in the girl’s direction.

 

Daehyun had to admit the girl was worthy of the attention she was receiving. He, and Zelo, watched as the graceful student floated down the hallway with an unfeeling smile.

 

“Hyuna noona is perfect,” Zelo sighed as he sank back down into his seat. “She’s been here all of five days and she has her own fan club already.”

 

“She’s just another girl,” Daehyun muttered as he attempted to find a comfortable position in his desk again. “The hype will die down soon.”

 

“The hype over the six of us hasn’t died down yet since the beginning of elementary school,” Zelo pointed out. “Besides, everyone says that Hyuna Noona is so frosty. The hype about her isn’t dying down any time soon. She looks so indifferent about everything and detached from her classmates. Yesterday this freshman ran into her, but Hyuna noona just helped the girl up and walked away without saying anything. Isn’t she so cool? I want to meet her soon!”

 

“Ay, Daehyun!” A well-built student entered the room, hopped over, and placed his full weight on Zelo, who collapsed under him. “Sleeping already?”

 

“Yongguk hyung! Have you talked to Hyuna Noona yet?” Zelo’s eyes lit up with hope.

 

Yongguk rolled his dark brown eyes. “This kid is still yarping about Hyuna?”

 

“Because she’s so-“

 

“Atypical, gorgeous, pretty, cold?” Yongguk finished, knowing full well what Zelo was about to say. It didn’t faze the younger though, as he leaned dreamily onto his hands and gazed out the window with a soft sigh.

 

“Yongguk hyung,” Jongup leaned against the door with a solemn expression plastered on his face. “We have some business to attend to after school.”

 

“Who are the idiots this time?” Daehyun yawned, stretching his arms toward the ceiling.

 

“Dashik High. They challenged us to a match, which we politely refused, and then they went and beat up some of our underclassmen.” Jongup shook his head distainfully and plopped down in the seat beside Daehyun. A student made to walk into the room, caught a glare from Jongup, and scurried away quickly. No one messed with Sangyyuk High’s gang, not even their own classmates.

 

“I’m not that scary, am I?” Jongup scrunched his nose in distaste at the meek student’s reaction.

 

“You’re ugly,” Yongguk retorted, throwing a nearby pencil at Jongup’s head and watched with fascination as it bounced off and clattered onto the ground. As expected, Jongup yelped and leaped to his feet. “Hyung!”

 

“Go get Himchan. Where’s the other one?” Yongguk stood up, ignoring Jongup’s whining, and strolled to the door. “I’m ditching today, so don’t look for me until school’s out. I’ve got some things to finish.”

 

“Ne, Hyung!” Zelo saluted the elder with a grin. “Stay safe though, okay? Call us if you need help.”

 

Yongguk nodded, threw up the peace sign, and sauntered out the room. As he passed through the cafeteria, he caught a glimpse of Himchan talking to Zelo’s precious noona. She was, indeed, as pretty as Zelo had described her, with her aloof smile and apathetic expression. And, indeed, despite her strong attitude, she would never fit in with Sangyuk’s gang. The gang he was the leader of- consisting of himself, Daehyun, Jongup, Himchan, Youngjae, and Zelo, the most feared gang in Seoul, aside from Seorim High and Seoul High. Those two schools were buddies because the two leaders of the gangs happened to be dating, and they never bothered with Sangyuk. Yongguk didn’t care.

 

“Hyuna, huh,” Yongguk said to himself as he gave the girl one last look. “Stay away from me and the boys. For your own safety, stay away.” With a cool smirk to the girls who were following him, he swung himself up onto his motorcycle and disappeared.

 

Youngjae watched their leader leave with a sigh. “What’s he up to now?” He asked Zelo, who shrugged in reply.

 

Himchan finally joined his gang members in their room. “Why do those girls still scream after me?” He winced and patted his ear gingerly. “You’d think they’d leave us alone since they’re so afraid of us, but no, they keep their distance and still scream like lovesick fan girls!”

 

“It’s because they miraculously think you’re good-looking,” Youngjae scoffed playfully, receiving a loud thwack on his head in reward.  “Besides, where’ve you been?”

 

“I was talking to the new girl,” Himchan lifted his shoulders in a half-shrug.

 

Zelo shot up from his seat, his eyes wide with excitement. “How is she, hyung?”

 

“She’s captivating. In person, she’s actually not as unfriendly as she appears to be,” Himchan replied nonchalantly as he took a seat. “Why don’t you go talk to her instead of sending your hyungs to talk to her for you?”

 

“Because I’m her number one fan and I can’t approach her yet,” Zelo pouted.

 

“Enough talk about girls,” Daehyun raised his head. “We should be talking about how we’re doing to deal with Dashik High tonight.”

 

“Fight them, win, and be done,” Youngjae bobbed his head. “Simple, done, and we can go eat afterwards.”

 

“Sounds good!” Zelo happily agreed. “Oh! There’s noona!” Hyuna passed by the room and Zelo bounded after her, calling her name loudly. Daehyun noted as she reluctantly turned around to respond to the maknae, who in return boldly grabbed her hand and dragged her into the room.

 

 “Hi there, Hyuna!” Himchan waved chirpily at the girl. “Come meet my brothers! The sleepyhead is Daehyun, the grouch is Jongup, the idiot is Youngjae, the lovestruck kid is Zelo, and the old man is gone already.”

 

Hyuna nodded at them silently. Daehyun ignored her and placed his head down on the table again. He felt Zelo jab his foot and irritated, raised his head up again to shoot the maknae a deadly snarl before returning to sleep.

 

“I’ll be going then,” Hyuna politely bowed after a moment of silence and retreated with her trademark formal air.

 

Zelo sighed and gazed after her. “She’s perfect.”

 

Daehyun snorted.

 

“Are you gay?” Jongup questioned Daehyun. “Man, you’ve got to be gay if you don’t have the hots for Hyuna.”

 

“I’m straight,” Daehyun shot back, “and I just don’t think she’s all that. Sure, she’s pretty. But her attitude is irritating. And besides, girls always seeking after money.”

 

“Right, right, I forgot you had a crappy past,” Jongup muttered as he backed away in defeat.

 

Himchan spoke up and defended Hyuna, which further irked Daehyun. “She’s not that bad.”

 

During lunch, Daehyun retreated to the silence of the rooftop and sat there looking over the school grounds, his mind elsewhere. He was so focused in his thought that he didn’t even notice the girl approaching him until she startled him with a question.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

“What are you doing here?” He returned her question sharply.

 

“I wanted some air,” Hyuna moved around him to stand lean on the rail. “It’s nice out here.”

 

He was surprised she was chatting with him so casually. He hadn’t expected her to be the first to initiate a conversation, especially one that was rather friendly. And he was surprised when she didn’t say anything else after that. From the corner of his eye, he watched her curiously as she closed her eye and enjoyed the breeze.

 

So she wasn’t as bad as he had originally though, Daehyun admitted silently. Maybe Himchan was right about her.

 

“Do you come here every day?” She suddenly broke the silence and turned to face him. He nodded. “Mind if I join you occasionally?”

 

“Do whatever you want,” Daehyun answered shortly. She accepted his answer with a small smile.

 

“The bell’s going to ring soon.” She headed toward the door. “Daehyun-ssi, thanks.”

 

He wasn’t completely sure what she was thanking him for, and she herself wasn’t sure what she was thanking him for, but he tilted his head in acknowledgement of her statement.

 

After she left, he placed his elbows on the rail for support and stared blankly at the sky, absorbed once again in his thoughts. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N

First chapter is up! I hope y'all like it (:

I'll be updating once a week- most likely every saturday. If I can update in between I will, but no promises!

Later this story will start to be told in Hyuna's first person POV, but that should be fairly obvious once y'all start reading. I just wanted to give a heads up still.

<3