Talking.

Masks

A few weeks had passed since Jiyong's last visit, and there had not been a day that went by without you longing for his comforting and understanding presence. School was turning into a bitter experience. The scornful girls were done with sitting back and cursing you behind their backs- now they were taking every opportunity to bully you when others weren't watching and make your life as miserable as they could. 

 

You considered telling the principal, but you didn't want to deal with even more wrath from your tormentors. It was your last year of high school, and you've managed to get through the first few months of Sangyuk Hugh already. And there was absolutely no way you'd let your overprotective grandfather and cousin know about your circumstances at school- their anger would be far more terrifying, and you feared for the girls' pitiful lives. 

 

More and more you would linger on the roof during lunch, dreading the return into the school building. Today's lunch was no different. When you finally sighed and resigned yourself to the next couple dreadful hours, Daehyun's seldom heard voice caught your attention and you spun around to face him, startled that he was talking to you. The last time he spoke was over two weeks ago, when the two of you had a short five-minute conversation. 

 

"Who are they?" He asked quietly, his back to you, the wind lifting his brown hair slightly. 

 

"Excuse me?"

 

He turned to you, and you were startled by the seriousness in his eyes. "The girls who are the cause of your sadness. Who are they?"

 

You feigned innocence of the matter and, with a light shrug, left the roof, all the while aware of the eyes boring into your hastily retreating form. 

 

By the time he entered the classroom, you had managed to hide your edginess and a calm expression was apparent on your face. He barely glanced at you while he took his assigned seat behind your desk. Once he sat down, you could feel his eyes staring at you, as if he was telling you that he would find out no matter how silent you stayed. After school, you turned the corner to walk home and nearly jumped out of your skin when you came face to face with the devil himself, Daehyun. He was leaning casually against the red brick walls of the school and he held s hand out when you attempted move around him. His dark eyes held yours. 

 

"Who?" His one word hung in the air, heavy. 

 

"I don't know what you're talking about," You muttered stiffly and again made a move to leave. His hand caught your wrist. 

 

"Why are you hiding?" 

 

You glared at him. "I said I don't know what you're talking about! Can't you mind your own business?"

 

"I should. And I usually do! But-" he dropped his head into his hands and sighed with such despair that you were tempted to reach out and draw him into your arms. "I don't know why I'm worried about you," he said abruptly and disappeared, leaving you puzzled and by yourself. 

 

"Strange boy." You didn't like his prying eyes. You didn't like anyone who tried to enter your world, the cold world you built. Jiyong's and your grandfather were the only occasional visitors allowed. 

 

The next day you arrived at school to be dragged away by your oppressors. The four girls spat at you, humiliating you even if no one else was present to watch. You longed to put them into their place; your fingers itched to teach them a lesson, for you were the better fighter. 

 

But you stayed your hands and thoughts. With a blank expression, you endured their daunting manner and remained silent. When they were finished, you turned and walked away without a word. Instead of returning to school, late now because of the girls, you went home, changed, washed your now-dirty clothes, and threw your covers over your head as you shed a tear in bed. 

 

You hated it. You hated how they treated you. Yet you chose to keep quiet. It was infuriating. You knew that you would snap one day, and it wouldn't be pretty for the others. Letting out a long breath, you found little comfort in the silky bed and you sat up, irritated with your mood, irritated at the world, irritated at your life. 

 

"Jiyong, where are you?" You whispered as your eyes found an old picture of you and your cousin. Memories flooded back- memories of a younger Hyuna, a smiling Hyuna, a cute Hyuna. Memories of a Hyuna who hadn't been exposed to the corrupt world. "Jiyong... I really need you right now." You buried your face into a pillow as tears slipped out. The tears soon turned into sobs as your emotions overwhelmed you. Jiyong, the one you trusted more than anyone else, the one you grew up with, the one who was always there to comfort you. 

 

What would Jiyong say if he saw his favorite cousin sitting back while girls mocked her? 

 

Jiyong would shake his head and say he taught this cousin better. After all, if it was Jiyong getting bullied, those idiotic kids would be in the hospital. Heck, who are you kidding? If it was Jiyong, he wouldn't be getting bullied. 

 

That's right. "Jiyong did teach me better," you hissed fiercely. Determination shot through your eyes as energy rushed through you with a renewed spirit.

 

As you expected, Daehyun was on your case the next day. His suspicious, pointed looks weren't disguised, and you avoided him like a disease. Instead of going to the roof during lunch, you hid in the restroom, praying that the girls wouldn't find you, for both of your sakes. You had to confront them eventually, but you were afraid of yourself, afraid of your anger. 

 

You almost cried with relief when the bell rang. Right as you pushed the restroom door open, someone slammed it shut and to your dismay, the girls you were avoiding stood smiling before you, looking like boastful hunters who caught their cowering prey. 

 

When the leader, Eunjung, slapped you, your weariness and anger swept up into a raging whirlwind and you struggled to keep it under control. You caught her next slap and held a tight hold on her thin arm. She attempted to yank herself free, but you simply tightened your hold. Once she realized you weren't letting go, and she wasn't strong enough to break free, she flipped her perfect hair with her other hand and tossed her snotty nose into the air. 

 

"It's all fake, isn't it?" She sneered with contempt, looked you over. "How much did your face cost? Obviously not enough, since it looks like your doctor screwed up." 

 

This was getting old. It had always been old. Girls like her were at every school, every where you went. You were sick of it. 

 

When you shoved Eunjung back with a snarl, the four girls froze and stated at you in shock. No one ever went against Eunjung. As your hand automatically drew into a fist, someone caught your arm and you recognized the grip. Daehyun. Somehow you aren't surprised to see him there. 

 

Eunjung squeaked and pretended to be the victim. She dramatically clung to his arm and cried. A small sense of satisfaction ran through you when he shook her off and came to stand beside you, ignoring the others. 

 

"Are you okay?" He glanced at your reddened left cheek. You nodded, and could feel your fury edge away. He addressed the confused Eunjung and her three followers. "If you ever touch Hyuna again, I will hurt you." His threat, simple and deadly, was delivered and the girls scampered away. 

 

The two of you stood in the girls restroom, neither looking at the other. Finally he signed. "You're really stubborn, you know that? Why wouldn't you tell me?"

 

"I didn't want you to bother. It's fine. I'm fine. Thank you." You wanted to get out of there as soon as possible and get as far away from this boy as you could, this boy who saw through your defenses. 

 

"Can we... Be friends?" His words startled you more than anything else this ridiculous boy had done so far. He wanted to be friends with you? 

 

You've been here long enough to hear the rumors that flew around about Daehyun and his gang. They were feared, insanely feared, yet respected by the other males and loved by the females. And they never accepted anyone into their circle. Oh, there were more rumors of course, but the others were ignorant rumors, the kind that circulated around about you, the ones formed from the jealous hearts of onlookers who knew nothing of what it was like in your footsteps. But the first rumors, those you could see some truth in. 

 

They were true, to some point. The Sangyuk High's gang was incredibly famous for their fighting skills, their ruthlessness, and everyone steered clear of them. At the same time, their peers had created some strange attatchment to the boys and followed- a good distance- behind their footsteps. 

 

And while the gang said hi to their classmates with a amiable smile, they never hung out with anyone, at least not in school. 

 

After observing them for a while, since it was your habit to observe fighters, you had drawn some conclusions. If they were right, if they were wrong, you weren't sure. 

 

Yongguk, the leader, the best fighter, the peacemaker. 

Himchan, the handsome one, the one with skilled hands and a good rhythm, the most friendly yet detatched one, the traditional one. 

Yongjae, the shy one, the one who held grudges, the motherly one. 

Jongup, another shy one, the smiling one, the one who loves to exercise (or so he claims).

Zelo, the skateboarder, the tall one, the goofy yet hardworking one.  

Daehyun, the quiet one, the one who was standing before you. 

 

You looked at him for a brief moment before gliding out of the room. "We'll see." Two simple words, laden with meaning. 

 

 

 

 

A/N:

I'll try my best to incorporate some of these idols' real personalities into this fic, but don't hold me on that because I sometimes need to invent personality traits for them in order for this fic to work, haha. But I'm trying!

Yay for two updates in the beginning of a week!

And to be honest, I have no clue where this fic was going. I kinda knew in the beginning, but after typing out some chapters, I went back to edit and now it's changed directions. Yippee! I'm as curious as y'all are lol.