Chapter 12

InkHeart

 

Either there was nothing going on with the investigation at all or the police were really taking their precious time. It was almost the end of the week now and the only thing that Baekhyun had done was answer a few questions. But as Uncle Max had said, thing weren’t looking all that good in Zora favour. She wasn’t even proven guilty yet and already the investigators seemed to be biased towards Hyemi already- the girl with the deep red hair. Yoojin was still being hospitalized, and only when she regains consciousness would they be able to get concrete evidence.

The moment Baekhyun stepped into school; he could tell people were already giving him strange looks that were mixed with eagerness and suspicion. He wasn’t surprised when the first question he got from his friends was asking where Zora was and why she wasn’t in school. Baekhyun told them that he caught a fever and his uncle was looking after her at home; when in reality, Baekhyun was the one who ordered her to stay home for today. It wouldn’t be good for her to come into a school like Shota after such an incident, not to mention the bullying only just got to die down, so he told her to stay home with the company of King or maybe even Chanyeol; why he refused to suggest Kai- he was still unaware.

Uncle Max went suspiciously quiet over the last few days. Just when Baekhyun thought his Uncle would try and come and support her the most, it was as though he was purposely acting like nothing ever happened.

During school, Baekhyun found himself checking his phone every now and again for maybe a message or a miss call from Zora like she did most of the time before she entered Shota, but back then, Baekhyun treated it like junk mail, like random texts from the phone company telling him about new offers- he just wasn’t interested, but now, when he was actually curious, his inbox had nothing but messages from his friends. ‘You alright?’, ‘Don’t worry about it’, ‘I’m sure she didn’t do it’ – small words of encouragement which had almost felt as though it’d been sent to the wrong person, because the person who needed the most encouragement right now was more Zora than him; or so he thought.

Baekhyun slammed his locker door closed, about to walk off for lunch when a voice stops him, “Where’s your girlfriend?”

He sharply turned his neck and noticed Hyemi leaning on his locker, her eyes drilling into his head. “Excuse me?” He urged a bit too bitterly.

“Your girlfriend…Too scared to come into school?” She smiled mockingly at him before pushing herself off of the lockers.

“…If you’re talking about Zora then refer to her correctly, she’s just-“

“I don’t believe you, oppa” Hyemi cackled and only when she was close enough to him did Baekhyun detect the craziness in her eyes and the plaster around her index finger. “I don’t believe that she’s your sister” She repeated as Baekhyun subtly took a cautious step back from her.

“Whatever” He scoffed at her, rolling his eyes and making his way to the cafeteria. He couldn’t be bothered arguing with her.

 

It felt like the longest school day to Baekhyun, something about today just made him antsy. He didn’t know what it was, but the fact that Zora went quiet- with no messages or missed calls from her- Baekhyun suddenly got a bad vibe and he just wanted to go home already, so when it was finally time for school to end, Baekhyun would have forgotten all about Kai if he hadn’t caught him to walk home together.

“Whoa, hold your horses” Kai chuckled, trying to catch up with Baekhyun who was practically speed walking his way home. “You know, it’s the first time I’ve seen you so eager to get home” He chimed.

“It’s just…been a long day, you know?” He retorted, still not slowing his pace. “And besides, it looks like it’s about to rain, it’s better to hurry whilst we’re still dry than run whilst it’s pouring down” He reasoned, looking up at the miserable grey clouds above them.

“I guess…Although Zora would like it”

“What?”

“Zora…” Kai blinked at the boy, quite easily keeping up with his pace. “She likes rain”

“…” Baekhyuns feet started slowing down as he creased his eyebrows at the seemingly innocent Kai. Zora likes rain? He had no clue whether or not it was true, but because Kai wouldn’t usually spit out lies, so why wouldn’t it be? “How…did you know that?”

“…I don’t know…I just do…” Kai shrugged with a proud smile on his face and a hint of victory in his eyes. Baekhyun now stopped in place, taking Kai by slight surprise when he asked, “Just how much do you know about her?”

Kai gave the question a thought, not revealing anything by his expression. But just when Kai was about to open his mouth, another voice from behind interupted him. 

“YOOHOO~”

“Oh god” Baekhyun could only pull a face when he saw Loopy Luna making her way over to them, ridiculously waving around an umbrella.

“Baekhyun-ah! Here you go, dear! An umbrella! Keep it with you this time honey, I bet you forgot yours again didn’t you? Oh- hello Kai- how are you doing sweetie?”

Kai and Baekhyun exchange weird looks before Kai turned his attention back to the women he’d never seen before, “You…know me?”

Luna let out a chuckle, “Oh honey, don’t look so scared, although maybe I should give the umbrella to you instead, you probably need it more than Baekhyun does” She offered the umbrella to Kai, however Baekhyun noticed a slight change in her voice as she did.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Kai and Baekhyun asked in unison.

“…Oh…Do you not know?” She blinked at the two males innocently, “Inkhearts can’t touch water, dear…”

Right then, something inside Kai suddenly triggered, not from what Luna just said…but instead, it felt like …like some sort of sense…one that was telling him that something wasn't right. “Baekhyun” Kai called to the other male quietly, his eyes towards the direction home. However Baekhyun was too caught up in what Luna said to hear.

“Inkheart? Is that what he is?” Baekhyun used his finger to point towards Kai who suddenly went out of the conversation. He was too curious about Luna to notice to other boys alarm. But before the conversation could go any further, Kai suddenly clutched onto Baekhyuns arm, violently pulling him to follow as he suddenly ran as fast as his feet could take him. “WHOA! Kai! What the fu-“

“Something’s wrong!” Kai’s voice hitched, fear and anxiety in his eyes as he continued to leg it down the road with Baekhyun trying to keep up. It was as though the sense was contagious; because the moment Baekhyun saw the anxiety in Kai’s eyes did a sudden uneasiness suddenly stab him in the chest. Before he knew it, he was running like life depended on it.

But only a few more minutes away from home and as predicted- it’d started to rain. “!” He cursed mother nature as the rain suddenly got heavier. He continued to run, however took a moment to pause, when he turned to check on Kai and…He wasn’t there anymore. Baekhyun turned left and right, back and forward, but there was no sign of Kai in midst of the rain. But something told him to run home anyway.

 

Baekhyun burst through the door, shocked that it was unlocked, but what startled him the most, was the unconscious guy lying flat on the floor at the bottom of the stairs. “CHANYEOL!” He shook the boy by the shoulders, feeling a sudden stab in his heart when he noticed the nthe bruises and blood on the boys face. “Chanyeol! Chanyeol! What happened!?”

“Baekhyun…” Chanyeols voice was barely a whisper, he could barely open his eyes either. “W-We couldn’t…Zora…”

“Where’s she?!

“They...tried...Go...after her...” He urged before his eyes closed again.

“C-Chanyeol! Chanyeol!” Baekhyun didn’t even know what he was doing, whether to be concerned about Kai, about Chanyeol or to leave the injured boy and find his sister. He didn’t know anything anymore. “Hold on! I’m calling an ambulance!” Baekhyun shot up and reached for the phone when suddenly, a hand stopped him.

“Are you mad?!” Luna scolded in a harsh tone, although her eyes had just about the same panic and alarm in them as Baekhyun had. How the hell did she even get here? Whatever, that came later, she's done more surprising things so far. 

“Are you mad?! Look at him! He’s-“

“-- an Inkheart! You can’t send him to hospital! Are you insane?!” She yells at him, using her umbrella to smack Baekhyun across the head. Baekhyun was too much in a state of panic to even react properly to the situation. Everything was too confusing. What happened? Who even was this woman to know where he lives? Why can’t he call the police or the ambulance?

“But he-“

I’ll take care of Chanyeol! Now go find her! Hurry!”

At that, Baekhyun didn’t hesitate anymore, he ran out the door as fast as his legs could take him, but right of the house, drenched in rain water and broken into pieces was Zora's white cell phone. Another stab at Baekhyuns heart that could only make him run faster. “ZORA!!” 

 

---

A/N: *awkward laugh* Long time no update? Sorry it's so short? ^^; *gets pelted with stones* I stil love you all~!