The Unexpected Meeting

Mrs. Im: Surnames (HIATUS)

 

Taeyeon was roaming around the 5th floor of Red Star Towers in one of the streets of Seoul. He looked at the door’s unit number one by one hoping to find a certain number.

“Here you are,” he whispered to himself when he found out what he’s looking for. He tried first the door chime. He pressed the button three times, but no one opened the door.

He irritatingly pushed the buttons again. He thought that no one was there. He cursed in his mind. His original plan is to call Mrs. Im but he decided that it will be rude to talk about that dangerous topic on the phone. And he’s not sure what the reception of Mr. Im’s wife is.

He tried to knock again but the door on the opposite unit suddenly opened.

“Are you looking for Mrs. Im?” an old woman smiled while asking him. “She doesn’t look like Korean.” He thought.

“As a matter of fact, yes.” He answered politely. “Is she out of her unit?” he asked.

“You’ve missed her by two days, son.” The old woman stated. “Now, you wait for me here…,” and before he could speak, the old woman entered her unit again.

He waited impatiently. Taeyeon hates waiting, obviously. The old woman came out again and she handed him a piece of paper, “That unit is either for rent or for sale. If you’re interested you can call her agent. Bye..”

The old woman was now gone but Taeyeon was still staring blankly at the piece of paper. Mr. Im’s wife unit is for sale!

You’ve missed her by two days. “Maybe Mrs. Im went back to America.” He thought. He growled silently. Now he’s confused and he doesn’t know what will he going to do. He’s work was now piled up in his office and he’s dead tired and sleepy. And if ever the woman was gone to America, he will not fulfill his promise to his cousin, Seohyun. He cursed while leaving.

It is evening when Taeyeon left to Jeonju. He could have left yesterday afternoon after he talked to Mrs. Im’s agent if only his boss didn’t hurry him to finish his works.

“I don’t have any information that I can give to you, Mr. Kim other than her address in Jeonju,” Choi Sooyoung said, Mrs. Im’s agent.

“I really don’t know too why she went there. All she said to me was calling her if ever there is a buyer of her unit in Red Star Towers.” Sooyoung continued.

“I’m from Jeonju, Ms. Choi.” Taeyeon said with convincing voice. “I want to talk to her also personally and we’re from the same hometown, maybe she can give me a discount.” He smiled dorkily showing his chin dimple. “But don’t worry, should there be sales, you’ll get your commission.” He added.

“Well, I had to agree on that.” Sooyoung answered while smiling. “There’s a contract signed by Mrs. Im, that all I will handle all of the transactions related to her unit.” Sooyoung proudly added.

And now there he is. After almost three years, he will going back to Jeonju because of what he promised to his cousin for Mrs. Im. And because of the involvement of Seohyun to Mr. Im.

He gritted his teeth. He didn’t want Yoona for his cousin. And now he found out that Seohyun is just Yoona’s mistress, he cursed loudly. He hoped that Yoona will rot in hell. But he prevents himself for being angry to Seohyun. She’s gone now.

But why Jeonju? Of all the places in South Korea. He’s confused. What is Mrs. Im doing in Jeonju?

“Oh my god!” uncle Taewoo shouted when he saw Taeyeon sitting in the dining table while drinking his coffee.

“Good morning Uncle Taewoo.” Taeyeon greeted while smiling. Uncle Taewoo is the caretaker of their house in Jeonju ever since his mother died.

“Taeyeon-ah! Is it you? Aigoo~ You’re all grown up, son!” He can’t believe that it is Taeyeon. “When did you arrive? Why didn’t you tell me?”

Taeyeon smiled dorkily. “Relax Uncle. Ask questions one at a time please. I just arrived here 4 in the morning and I didn’t bother to woke you up, uncle.”

“Why didn’t you wake me up? Aigoo Taeyeon-ah~ I missed you, kid!” Uncle Taewoo said while looking at Taeyeon’s coffee in the table. “Wait up kid, I’ll cook you a breakfast.” Uncle Taewoo continued then walked to the kitchen.

Taeyeon picked up the cup and stood up. He went out and walked to the balcony. He looked at the sea. He felt the breeze of morning. He took a deep breath. He could even taste the salty wind.

How he missed this place. City life is much different than there. Simple, quiet. He looked at that specific part in the sea. He remembered one happening. That happening that kept on replaying in his mind. He closed his eyes and shook his head. He thought about it oftentimes. But when he saw that specific part, he felt different.

Taeyeon put down the cup and took his cell phone and the piece of paper that Sooyoung, agent of Mrs. Im, gave to him.

Five rings before someone picked it up. “Hello.. Mrs. Im speaking..”

Taeyeon can’t respond quickly. He wasn’t expecting a young voice.. a bedroom voice for that matter. Whispering huskily as if she was being made loved to. Taeyeon closed his eyes. He wasn’t prepared for the sudden kick of desire he felt below his stomach. He cursed himself silently. What the heck is happening to him? He is easily hypnotized by someone’s voice and he didn’t even know who Mrs. Im is. And his imagination is now working, thanks to that husky voice.

Abstinence? That’s the reason. That night when he and Sunmi were going to do it but abruptly stopped because of Seohyun’s accident. They did ‘it’ last three months ago and he obviously needs that. He was in Japan for the past months and he went back when his boss suddenly call for an urgent meeting for their new upcoming project. And the past two weeks was spent attending Seohyun’s funeral.

 But for that past two weeks, Sunmi stayed in his apartment. But why he doesn’t have the urge to do ‘it’ with Sunmi? What’s wrong with him? “You’re upset, tense and busy grieving for your little cousin and hating that bastard she called husband.” He answered himself.

“Hello…” Tiffany spoke up again when no one’s answering from the other line. “Who’s on the line, please?” she continued.

Taeyeon was silent. “Mrs. Im, this is Mr. Kim.”

 Tiffany suddenly woke up when she heard that voice. Deep and very male. She admired the way his voice vibrated through the phone.

“Do I know you, Mr. Kim?” she confusingly asked. Subconsciously, there is one person who is running through her mind because she knew this one person who has the same surname as this person on the other line but the little commotion inside her mind abruptly stopped when the person spoke up.

“No, I don’t think we’ve met. But I’d like an appointment with you—“

“Oh. Are you calling from Seoul?” Tiffany stopped herself from asking Mr. Kim’s first name. She didn’t know who else will call her except her friends from Seoul. “Was it about my unit? Did my agent give you this number?” she asked.

“I’m here in Jeonju, Mrs. Im…” after awhile, he decided to talk about Mrs. Im’s unit. “And yes, it’s about your unit. I’d like to see you this afternoon, if it’s convenient to you. Say, five o’clock? How’s that?”

Tiffany wanted to know why his prospective buyer was there in Jeonju but she answered different answer. “F-five o’clock then…..” and she ended the call. She suddenly felt weird, nervous and excited at the same time. She doesn’t even know why.

Tiffany is sure that his visitor is aware of her situation right now. And though she didn’t feel like mourning she chose a navy blue dress because of what Mr. Kim is expected to see. Maybe her agent, Sooyoung, already told to Mr. Kim that her husband died two weeks ago so she decided to sell her unit.

Short sleeves, V-neck, even though it is lower from the neckline, were not beyond the border of decency. With gold buttons, she looked slimmer because of her dark clothes.

She wore a velvet headband. Her long straight black hair made her looked more gorgeous. She put a simple push-and-pull diamond earring. She looked at the mirror and checked herself once more. A spectacle twenty-four-year-old widow. Almost twenty four, she corrected and smiled showing her eye-smile.

She looked at her watch. Ten minutes before five o’clock. She came out from her room and went down to wait for her visitor.

Taeyeon’s eyebrows met in confusion when he parked his car in the wide backyard of Mrs. Im. Almost three years had passed but he can’t be wrong. This is the….. Hwang’s old house.

Tiffany. For a short while, there is one happening running through his mind. Of happy child-hood days long gone. Memories of bits and pieces. And regret…

He looked once again at the old house. Right after her graduation from high school, she and her family migrated to America. And didn’t come back again. He and Jessica left behind. He smiled at the thought. His foolishness over Jessica. How he thought he was madly in love with her.

He smiled at himself. He knew that Jessica is happy with Kwon Yuri. Yuri was Jessica’s first and last love. He decided that before he will come back to Seoul, he will visit the couple. The last time Taeyeon saw the couple was when his mother died. And that was also the last time he came back in Jeonju.

Tiffany. And while everyone else called her Tiff, he insisted on calling her, Fany. He flinched at the thought.

He walked slowly to the door of the house. He is still having a little battle in his head if this is the right address that Sooyoung gave to him. Or maybe Mrs. Im rented Hwang’s ancestral house from its caretaker.

He knocked carefully. From outside, he can hear the sound of heels clicking approaching. He heard the doorknob twisted. And he focused his attention to door slowly opening.

“Good afternoon…” He greeted and smiled showing his chin dimples.

The door opened and Tiffany went out. Taeyeon’s small smile turned into a wide smile when he saw a gorgeous lady coming out. But he suddenly knitted his forehead when he looked carefully at a gorgeous lady in front of him.

“T-Taeyeon…?” she’s also confused.

“Fany? Is it really you, Fany-ah?” Taeyeon asked.

They stared at each other for a long while. Unable to take their eyes off each other. Both can’t believe that here they are, staring to each other. While Tiffany’s heart started to pound furiously when Taeyeon spoke up.

“It’s wonderful to see you again, Fany-ah.” Taeyeon said and hugged Tiffany who’s still shock.

“I didn’t expect that I will see you here,” he released Tiffany and smiled dorkily. “Still the old Taeyeon, I see.” Tiffany thought. He stared at Tiffany, “My, you’re so beautiful Fany-ah! When did you come back here? Are you with your family?” He bombarded questions to Tiffany.

Tiffany didn’t respond quickly. She blushed when she heard Taeyeon. She doesn’t know what to say. She was expecting a certain Mr. Kim—Kim Taeyeon! Is it really Taeyeon who called her?

“Don’t just stand there, lady. Why don’t you invite me in?” Taeyeon asked, giggling.

“O-of course,” she stepped back and let Taeyeon enter. She pointed the sofa, “P-please, sit down,” she’s stuttering right now.

Taeyeon sat down. Tiffany sat down at the opposite chair. Her legs are shaking. She didn’t expect that he will going to see this guy in her third day in Jeonju, even Jessica didn’t heard anything about Taeyeon.

“Y-you’re Mr… Kim who called me earlier?” Tiffany asked.

Taeyeon didn’t respond quickly. Disbelief registered on his face. “And you’re Mrs. Im?”

Tiffany nodded. “I...I should have known. When you said Mr. Kim, I think about you, fleetingly.” She said. Her eyes surveyed him.

Taeyeon has always been a handsome man. So strikingly handsome that she clearly remember that every girl in their school has a crush on him except for Jessica.

Now after seven years since she last saw him, he’s even handsomer. Like an aged wine. Seven years ago, Taeyeon was a short and dorky teenager. Now, he’s still short but, he’s now muscular and his jaw line is showing. She can see it through his sport shirt. Broad chest. She looked down at Taeyeon’s pants, hugging his muscular legs tightly like a second skin.

Those thighs…. was it still the same as….? She felt her hair at her nape stood up.

Taeyeon coughed a little and Tiffany looked at him. He was smiling from ear to ear. She had to blush at that smile.

“Taking inventory, Mrs. Im?” Taeyeon said playfully.

She swallowed hard. She calmed herself for a second and the return to her composure.

“Why are you here, Tae?” she asked with her prim and proper voice. “Was it really about my unit?”

“How have you been, Fany-ah?” he asked softly. From this moment, Taeyeon returned her gaze to Tiffany. He looked at her with admiration in his eyes, she was sure of it. She can’t see it to other guys who she dated before, even Yoona, what was she seeing in Taeyeon’s eyes right now.

Funny. All those years, she can’t remember that Taeyeon stared at her for a long time.

She took a deep breath. For a second, she thought for a reason why Taeyeon wants to buy her unit. “Maybe he’s married.” She thought.

“I don’t know what to say, Taeyeon-ah?” she answered when she finally calmed herself.

“My husband just died two weeks ago. You told me earlier that you are having interest in my unit, isn’t it?” Tiffany added.

Taeyeon sighed and stared at her. “I just used it as an excuse Fany-ah. That’s not the reason why I came here.” Taeyeon started and stood up. He examined the house and remembered his stay there. He could imagine the young Tiffany going down while looking at her and smiling from ear to ear.

“What do you mean, Tae?” Tiffany asked.

Taeyeon looked at her. “I don’t know how I will to tell you this, Fany-ah.” He said. He swallowed the lump in his throat. “I even had a second thought if this is right to tell this to you now that I learned that you’re Mrs. Im.”

“You’re talking in riddles. What’s the reason why you’re here? Except for asking how am I doing? How did you know that I’m here? Even Jessica doesn’t know where you are. She said that you’re not returning here for a long time.” Tiffany bombarded.

“Since my mother’s death.” Informed him. “Fany-ah…” he coughed again. “The… girl who’s with your husband in the car—“

Tiffany avoided Taeyeon’s gaze. “Please, Taeyeon, you’re not here because of that.” She said wearily while avoiding his eyes. She’s confused that Taeyeon knew about that, maybe because of the news.

“I don’t want to talk about that anymore, Taeyeon-ah. I’m done with it. Yoona is dead and I don’t know what happened to her mistress too.” Tiffany continued.

“She died too. A few hours after the accident.” Tiffany suddenly looked at Taeyeon. “Oh.” Tiffany was shock. “H-how did you know?”

“She’s my cousin, Fany-ah.” Taeyeon said.

“C-cousin? How—“

“Second degree cousin. Seohyun’s father was my father’s cousin. I don’t know if you still remember her. She was living in the other town. Her mother was a public teacher. She was in 6th grade when her mother was assigned in Seoul and her father went to London to work there. Five years ago, my father was together with Seohyun’s mother. They are going to fetch Seohyun’s father at the airport. My father and her parents didn’t make it through that accident.” He took a deep breath and continued, “It was Seohyun’s exam week and I had an interview to a company I applied for so we didn’t have the chance to see each other..”

“I’m sorry,” Tiffany slowly said.

“That was a long time ago, Fany. I got over with it.” He reassured but his face was telling otherwise.

“Jessica said that you didn’t come back here because of your mother’s death. H-how did she die?” Tiffany asked carefully.

“Depression. She was so devastated after my father’s death.” He smiled bitterly. “And I don’t have the reason to stay here. I have a job in Seoul and I have so many projects.”

Tiffany only nodded. Then she looked at Taeyeon. “How did Seohyun…. meet my husband?”

 

A/N: Sooooo, cliffhanger? Hihihi. :3 I'm sorry guys. :( Do you like my story, so far? I hope so.. Now there's TaeNy in the picture. :)

Please leave a comment guys. :) Thank you so much for reading! I love you all. :)) Thank you subscribers. :D

Lovelots! ♥

- eonjengan x_x